[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looks like scifi kino is back on the menu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 59318107.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
59318107.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
Tommy Lee Jones and Brad Pitt to star in deep-space epic Ad Astra. James Gray co-wrote and will direct. Darius Khondji probably doing the cinematography.

“I had read about the people that had developed the atomic bomb, that in doing the atom splitting for the first time, there was a 90% chance that all known matter in the universe would not be destroyed. And they did the experiment anyhow and split the atom and I always found that extremely alarming; that they did the experiment with the 10% chance that everything would be destroyed. So I started to think about a very ‘Hearts Of Darkness’/’Apocalypse Now‘ thing, that somebody is going to do an experiment like that because they have nothing to lose. And we have to send somebody to destroy him. So that is basically what the film is, and the thing that’s in the middle of it of course is the terrible cabin fever that begins to set in. I had read also about trips to Mars, where they were purposefully trying to recruit people with Asperger’s Syndrome. Because idiots like me… would not handle not having to interact with people for a year and a half long trip. To wrap it all, I had read all this stuff and I thought it would be interesting to mix a Joseph Conrad-type idea with something that goes terribly wrong. And they choose people that they think are appropriately emotionally repressed to embark on the mission but they’re not repressed enough and this craziness that happens on the way. The way I wanted to shoot it was like Apollo footage, incredibly realistic. But not like ‘Gravity.’ You know that documentary ‘For All Mankind’? The footage is remarkable: they shot all this 16mm footage and I want to do it like that. Very science based. Almost ‘science fact,’ but 50 years in the future.”

Don’t look for the influence of Andrei Tarkovsky either, or at least not “Solaris,” which Gray doesn’t love (“It doesn’t hold up,” though he calls “Andrei Rublev” a masterpiece).

Andrei BTFO
>>
File: 1498760431217.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498760431217.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>84454443
>You know that documentary ‘For All Mankind’? The footage is remarkable: they shot all this 16mm footage and I want to do it like that.
If the entire film looks like this it will be pure kino
>>
>>84454443
>“Solaris,” which Gray doesn’t love (“It doesn’t hold up,”
He thought the special effects were meant to be good. Had he not seen all those terrific Soviet space operas like Planeta Bur?

It's funny, you read some really confident talking by American directors, then suddenly in a phrase, they remind you that they're only confident because they're rich, and they're rich because they're Ronald McDonald.
>>
>>84454443
I wonder if Tommy can sanction Brad's buffoonery
>>
Gray is one of the most underrated directors working today.
This should be at the very least interesting.
>>
>>84454729
No he's not, he's overrated. His purpose is to be that relatively uninspired classicist who fanboys can tout as a totem of their maturity.
>>
50 years. science fact. he is an idiot as he says. and it was a .01 % chance that most of the scientists felt was bullshit
>>
release of this when?
>>
Literally everything James Grey touches sounds really cool but ends up being boring as fuck
>>
>>84454443
>I had read about the people that had developed the atomic bomb, that in doing the atom splitting for the first time, there was a 90% chance that all known matter in the universe would not be destroyed. And they did the experiment anyhow and split the atom and I always found that extremely alarming; that they did the experiment with the 10% chance that everything would be destroyed

stop
talking
SHIT
>>
>>84454443
>Gray doesn't think “Solaris” holds up
Um. Is his... is he trying to say that a source material that already got made into a halfway decent sci-fi thriller in the past is unfilmable? How does that make any sense?
>>
James Gray has never made a good movie, he always fucks it up, he's very frustrating.
>>
>>84456991
No. Read it again. What he's saying is stupid, but not that stupid.
>>
>>84454443
hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.