[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this shit never mentioned, anywhere? What did you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

File: capekino.png (162KB, 489x203px) Image search: [Google]
capekino.png
162KB, 489x203px
Why is this shit never mentioned, anywhere? What did you think of it? I just read the comic book and was amazed by it, and I remember the film being basically faithfull to it

unironically capekino?
>>
>be op
>get dubs

>be first post
>get dubs
>>
Its too complex for the masses
>>
Dr Manhattans voice was voice kino. Very similar to Doug from hoc
>>
>>84439372
he was perfect for the role for sure.
>>
>faithful

the ending.
>>
>>84441531
well I don't remember it that well, I've seen it when it came out. I'm dling it rn for a rewatch, to be honest
>>
>>84439011

it's too "slow" for most people to sit through, and the rest are memed into disliking it by the masses

it's the best capeshit ever, and pretty much the only one that can be taken seriously as a film

also snyder's only good movie
>>
>>84439047
>>
>>84441531
Yeah I don't understand why they made that change; It adds more plotholes than it fixes
>>
>>84441761
>it's too "slow" for most people to sit through
but not like a kino driven master like ourselves
>>
>>84439011
Its a completely garbage film with no depth or aesthetic. The acting is some of the worst I've ever seen. 2/10 at best, you watch it while taking a shit
>>
>>84439047
>L
>>
>>84442087
good review, I rate your post 9/10
>>
>>84441531
No one would have taken the squid seriously, and it would've been jarring and unintentionally hilarious.

Say what you will about the rest of the film, that was one necessary change.
>>
>>84442087
You take 3-hour shits?
>>
>>84442352
I've never understood people that take 10+ minutes to shit. Should be 5 max, I usually pop it out in under 30 seconds.
>>
>>84439011
Trash. Poorly made, poorly thought out.
>>
>>84442312
It only would've been unintentionally hilarious if they were bad enough to be unable to portray it effectively.
>>
File: watchmen-squid.jpg (174KB, 642x909px) Image search: [Google]
watchmen-squid.jpg
174KB, 642x909px
>>84442596
It was unintentionally hilarious in the comic.

There are some things that just don't translate from comic books. Even Bubastis was pushing it.
>>
>>84439011
Dr Manhattan is a better Superman, much more relatable.

Fuck bitches and whores. I have Mars as my own backyard to chill in.
>>
>>84442768
>It was unintentionally hilarious in the comic.

No. Strange and weird, yeah, but the pages of bodies and blood everywhere did not make me laugh. They didn't try very much to adapt the comic very well for the movie, whether that means it's impossible to at all, who knows.
>>
>>84442921
/co/ is fucking cancerous, get the fuck out
>>
>>84439011
zack synder is NOT a good director and it is not faithful to the source material at all - if anything the movie is exactly what the book was parodying
>>
>>84442448
this, it doesn't stand on it's own at all. if I'd never read the book I would have been wondering what the fuck is going on most of the time
>>
opening scene is kino as fuck
>>
>>84443536
YES, FUCKING THIS

and I can't believe his cunt wife said her husband "saved" it from terry gilliam
>>
>>84443536
>>84443594
HOLY SHIT THIS,

THIS

SO

MUCH!
>>
>>84443594
gilliam is overrated
>>
>a bunch of red balloons on the screen
>99 Red Balloons starts playing
BRAVO
>>
>>84439011
>What did you think of it?
Some good scenes but overall it bored me to death. I think the beginning hurt because I had no clue who the comedian was or why I should care about him.
>>
>>84443489
Who mentioned /co/? How did they hurt you?
>>
File: 1498554303.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498554303.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPfc4LDZHbw
>authentic 80's hustler magazine
>nod to 300
>tasteful slow-mo's
>lack of marvel-tier exposition and instead showing us who these two are during the fight (brute strength vs speed and precision)
>showing his walls adorned with weaponry and trophies of war from various countries while also foreshadowing his relationship with Silk Spectre and her importance to him by having her framed photo alone on his wall

name one (1) scene in any capeshit that even comes close to this one.
>>
>>84444171
>brute strength vs speed and precision
Oz seemed pretty strong himself there, I'd put it down to the comedian being old as fuck
>>
It's geniune capekino. Snyder did the impossible and also did it in style.
>>
>>84441531
It was better than the comics. Cthulhu was stupid as fuck already, now picture it in CGI and with Snyder's pallete.
>>
File: watchmen manhattan.webm (3MB, 700x289px) Image search: [Google]
watchmen manhattan.webm
3MB, 700x289px
>>
File: 1494793034828.jpg (16KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1494793034828.jpg
16KB, 360x360px
>>84439011
>comic book
>amazed
>>
>>84439011
comic is overrrated shit, the movie has decent visuals, but can't be great since it's limited by following too much its retarded source material
>>
File: demons.jpg (67KB, 390x400px) Image search: [Google]
demons.jpg
67KB, 390x400px
>>84442768
That's a classic comic monster back in the 80's.

That's the heavy metal magazine style it just doesn't fits the color tones of the movie.
>>
>>84444171
The scene where the old night owl is fighting those thugs is my favorite scene. How it keeps flashing back to him fighting the old time bad guys really chokes me up every time.
>>
>>84439011
Snyder completely missed the point of the comicbook. From what I can see he pretty much only reads the surface level of shit, which is unfortunate because it's obvious that he genuinely wants to make objectively good superhero movies. He clearly puts a lot of thought into production and composition, it's just not very deep thought.

Take the scene with Night Owl and Silk Spectre fighting thugs in the alley. In both the comic and the film this scene follows a conversation about Rorschach's unrestrauned violence. We are previously shown this violence when Rorschach breaks a thugs arm in the bar, which prompts NO to remark with disgust. Despite establishing that such violence is considered extreme and detestable in both the film and the comicbook, the alley fight that follows plays out every differently. In the comicbook the heroes merely beat the thugs, leaving them bruised but unlikely to suffer permanent damage. In the film the heroes needlessly snap bones, break necks, and very likely murder the thugs. On the surface the only difference is that the comicbook has less "action," but below that things are VERY different.

The thing is, Watchmen isn't actually a superhero story, it's just a story that happens to contain "superheroes." It's about cold war paranoia, hero worship, and the intent problems with vigilantism. At it's core it deconstructs the very foundations of the medium. All of that is just hidden behind sex, violence, and 80's grit. But Snyder missed all the subtext, instead filming only the surface. All Snyder saw was an "adult" comicbook, and that's what he filmed.
>>
>>84442768
>unintentionally
It was meant to be a silly silver age villain plan that came out of nowhere. It's part of the deconstruction. It's not a coincidence that it's somewhat reminiscent of Starro, the giant alien starfish that the JL fought in their first comic.
>>
>>84447215
Snyder's ultra intentional visual style completely clashes with the generally matter-of-fact illustrations in the comic. And clips like that draw attention to the fact that he's trying to squeeze in a drawing, a picture that looks good on the page, into a motion picture. It's hokey and seems pointless
>>
>>84448453
I think your in to deep m8, Snyder did a good job. the whole switch from space squid to doc Manhattan shows that he had some original thoughts to contribute. The direct rejection of super heros for their crazy huge danger is a better final message than the whole humans are small in the face of the unknown thing. Although I did like the bit where ozzy plays up aliens in the media. that bit I think was lost.
>>
>>84448755
Actually never mind
That post comes across ultra snobbish, I'm actually a shit artist and I have no control over my own creative output.
I do dislike Snyder's visual style, but not to the extreme that it's pointless or anything
>>
I loved both the comic and movie. I did not expect an honest to God faithful adaptation; that's true of any literary work finding itself translated into a shorter style medium. But what we received was still really good. And I believe making Manhattan the scapegoat was a smart edit for the movie.

I understand why a lot of people dislike it, but it's my favorite of the superhero movies I've seen, only behind Raimi's Spider-Man movies.
>>
>>84448817
The squid is important for a number of reasons, and it's removal isn't handled well narratively in the film.

The two biggest issue with Doctor Manhattan as a replacement is that HE is America's nuclear arsenal. It doesn't matter that he also destroys American cities, or that he will ostensibly be watching the world to make sure they behave. Dr. Manhattan is the face of American power, and the rest of the world sees him as such. Imagine that a Russian nuclear missile platform malfunctioned and destroyed several US cities. Do you think it would matter that they also destroyed some of their own? As far as the world is concerned, the US made Dr. M and Dr. M shares US values.

The squid works because it's a hostile foreign foe that has no connection to American imperialism, and because it has been engineered to psionically blast the globe with universal nightmare fuel that will serve as proof that that it is an unimaginable threat and that next to the horrors of it's world human differences are Petty and small.

The squid is also why the Comedian is murdered (he discovered the secret island where the kidnapped artists designed the creature and its world). Removing the squid removes the need for the artists, and removes any reasons for the Comedian to have discovered the plot.
>>
>>84449328

Not that anon, but recall in the movie that the sinister plot as discovered by Comedian was to frame Manhattan for the detonation and that Manhattan was seen on TV to go rogue after being accused by a fellow American of causing her to develop cancer; the movie did not need to explicitly state that the entire world, US included, was starting to perceive themselves as at odds with him.

The movie takes some liberties with the plot details which prove detrimental to certain themes, but I don't think they're as harmful as some say. Just my two pennies.
>>
>>84448945
>It's hokey and seems pointless
Actually you were right about this. Just look at all the religious imagery references he drops in BvS that comes off stilted and downright sophomoric to the point of being cringe worth it. The funny thing is that people like PTA and even James Gunn are self aware enough to use those kind of shots in a humoristic way, while Snyder thinks he's being so smart and artistic by doing so.
>>
>>84449496
While I do agree that those issues ARE addressed, in the film, they're not addressed well. Dr. Manhattan does indeed have an outburst in the film, but it's not really enough to make him seem at odds with the US or its interests. Keep in mind that he had been intimidating the global community as the face of America power for decades. Even if that outburst was enough to indicate that Dr. Manhattan was becoming antagonistic toward American leadership, he was still created by American and used to further American interests for decades. It's unlikely that the world wouldn't blame America for it's hubris and demand some form of reparation for the destruction and loss of life.

The Comedian is a little different. His story isn't hugely affected by the alteration, but it does make it a little less interesting. He could very well have notified government officials about Ozzymandeus' plan in the film since it's somewhat believable, but not in the comicbook since space squid is completely insane.
>>
>>84449496
>that the entire world, US included, was starting to perceive themselves as at odds with him.
It still wouldn't stop an overwhelming feel of animosity towards America if he went out of control and hit a bunch of cities. It certainly won't 'cause peace, even momentary, but retaliation, either military or diplomatic.

Removing the squid would also means you should rewrite a few things that weren't rewritten in the movie. The most obvious: just take Bubastis the fuck out of the movie. What's the fucking point of even having him there if his presence never pays off as it does in the comic?
Second, why would The Comedian lose his mind, when Ozy's plan isn't much different than what he has already done for the US goverment, only that this time the US is a target too? Which part of the plan of framing Manhattan would be the joke he refers to?

Besides all those points that relate to the plot itself, the squid also misses the point I said here >>84448708
The squid yet another metafictional element that Moore includes in his deconstruction of the superhero comic book, and it's very important to understand that despite all his intelect, Ozy wasn't any less delusional and detached from reality than Night Owl or Rorschach. He was also still living in a comic book.
>>
>>84439011
His origin scene is kino of the highest caliber. I love this movie.
>>
>>84442312
The entire point of the squid was how silly it was.
>>
>>84449835
>>84449842

I agree with both of you about the gap in narrative logic, but remember that Comedian's true despair was shared by Rorscach--a peaceful world built upon a horrific manipulation. To include the squid would have required additional scenes, whereas transferring its role to Manhattan would ultimately create the same emotional payoff from the perspective of someone who has only seen the movie. Given that Watchmen is very literary in nature, audiences still might have found the squid jarring even WITH those extra scenes. It is an ambitious and inherently difficult work to adapt, as is any written work, and concessions need to be made for the sake of brevity. Books and movies have different rhythms that I believe should be respected.

Being that Rorscach's journal is equally utilized as the deterrent to Ozy's success, the implications brought up in the book wouldn't necessarily have showed up in the movie. Too much would be happening too soon.

So at heart, I agree with you both; but in fairness to the opposed natures of literature and film, I think Watchmen as a movie is a worthy adaptation of the book, and I feel it ultimately achieves the same message, if with less depth than its literary counterpart.
>>
>>84449328
>The squid works because it's a hostile foreign foe that has no connection to American imperialism,

It was an American experiment that brought it here. How hard is it to spin that into our "insatiable American imperialism" overreached when we started trying to "pioneer" our way into new dimensions?

If they can perceive Manhattan as "our fault," they can rationalize the squid as our fault, too, without even all that much effort.
>>
>>84439011
It fucked up and made ozy too sinister from the start.
>>
This movie would be universally panned if it were released today
>>
>>84443695
I'm responding four hours later just to tell you how much of a tasteless moronic pleb you are. I hope you're still here so you know what a damn fool you are.
>>
>>84439047
>in the shape of an L on her forehead
>>
>>84450306
But the experiment was secret and everybody involved in it was eliminated so there was no way to know it was just an experiment and that it was led by an American.

>>84450305
Well, in my opinion, making a Watchmen adaptation was pretty much pointless from the get go because it's a comic about comics, and the whole plot is just a Mcguffin to talk about superhero comics themselves.
But ignoring that, it doesn't really pay off because of what we said. Why would everybody turn to world peace instead of sanctioning America for being responsible (even if not directly) for the blasting of several cities in the world? Why would Ozymandias assume that was going to happen? It makes no sense to me.
>>
>>84450377
It wasn't very well received anyway.
>>
>>84447215
There is one thing i never understood. Why hasnt the militray tried to repeat the Experiment ?
>>
>>84450468
>But the experiment was secret and everybody involved in it was eliminated so there was no way to know it was just an experiment and that it was led by an American.

Even in the comic, Ozy teleported it above an interdimensional research facility, some sort of energy research lab. That was part of the cover story. Us "grasping Americans" poking our noses where we shouldn't. It's a narrative that almost writes itself.
>>
>>84441531
I don't buy the "no one would have liked the octopus" meme, I think they changed it because in order to properly set up the squid they had to implement a shit ton of side characters, and the movie is already three hours long.

Anyway, Watchman is kino, up there with Sin City for the title of best comic book movie ever.
>>
>>84450721
Why would they want another god walking on earth when manhattan himself could wipe out humanity?
>>
>>84451216
Arms race.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.