[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he overrated? Is The Thing overrated here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: John_Carpenter_fanart.jpg (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
John_Carpenter_fanart.jpg
267KB, 1920x1080px
Is he overrated? Is The Thing overrated here?
>>
>>84374205
No and no. His output took a downturn in the 90s but his stuff from the 70s and 80s is nearly all good to great.
>>
>>84374205
>is john carpenter overrated
>>
>>84374422
I love him just thought it'd be an interesting thread
>>
In The Mouth of Madness is the overrated one.
>>
>>84374625
>the movie nobody talks about is overrated
>>
>>84374205
you mean underrated and ahead of his time
>>
>>84374820
Gets mentioned all the time, especially in muh lovelycrafts threads.
Prince of Darkness is the one I see mentioned the least, and even that had a whole thread dedicated to it yesterday.
>>
>>84374205
he is extremely overrated
The Thing however is not overrated. The Thing is a masterpiece. Everything else Carpenter has touched is shit.
>>
>>84374868
that doesn't mean it's not underrated. Nobody outside of lovecraft threads on this board ever talks about Mouth of Madness
>>
>>84374205
It's pretty underrated desu. No one mixes psychological drama/horror with masculinity anymore. Just screaming girls and overconfident boyfriends.
>>
>>84374903
Because it's garbage.
>>
>>84374903
You mean underappreciated in that case. It's a very flawed film.
>>
>>84374625

That's not They Live
>>
>>84374205
Don't you have to be known to be overrated, JC is a cult director.
>>
>>84374923
Whatever you know what i mean. Fuck off.
>>
File: tv discusses The Thing.jpg (412KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
tv discusses The Thing.jpg
412KB, 800x533px
>>84374205
no and definitely not.
>>
if anything he's underrated
>>
>>84374205
Masters of Horror: Pro Life is fucking amazing
>>
>>84374205
Asking a question like that not only makes you look like a complete a---hole but also a giant knob.

Achievement unlocked.
>>
>>84375660
Like I said earlier Carpenter is my favorite director just thought this would be an interesting question
>>
I see The Thing posted here more than any other Carpenter movie and that includes Halloween.
>>
>>84375660
Not an interesting question.
But credit I will give.

Asking for an analytical explanation/discussion about what made him such a great director in the 70s and 80s might have been a better one.

Carpenter wears many hats when creating a film. It's when all hats are worn equally that he makes magic happen.
>>
>>84376628
Every thread here about him is sucking his dick. Just thought it'd be fun to give people that don't like him a chance.
>>
He's made a bunch of shit movies, but his best are legit classics.
>>
>>84376670
If you ask about any of his movies pre-90s all you'll get is dick sucking.
>>
>>84374205
Kind of and definitely. He made some cool action movies and a couple of solid horror/action movies. He's no master of either.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.