[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TV quotes that changed your life thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 41

TV quotes that changed your life thread.
>>
>>84372464
damn, he is just like me
this show is a 10/10
>>
All things that live die, man is the only one that worries about what comes after.

Didn't change my life at all but I heard it the other day and I thought "Yeah that's good"
>>
what other reason would there be to be decent
>>
Name one non-selfish reason to be good that's not for divine reward. If it's not for sake of the social contract, which is by definition a reward, then please tell me why would anyone bother to do it. So something like religion comes along and gives people additional reasons to be good and you object?
>>
>>84372464
"To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf. Do you know what i'm saying?"

"What!?"

"I SAID! TO PROTECT THE SHEEP..."
Really made me think about how things really work.
Reminds me of that quote "He who spares the wolf, kills the sheep"
>>
>>84372716
guilt/shame/social approval
>>
>>84372464
>tfw i will never be as cool edgy as rust
>>
>>84372464
Pretty immature quote. If you believe there is nothing more to life than sensory experience then the very idea of morality becomes obsolete. Being a "piece of shit" shouldn't bother you - there is only how much pleasure you can squeeze out of life.
>>
>>84372504
this quote is unironically profound
>>
>>84373233
Seems like you didn't understand what that quote is trying to communicate.
>>
>>84373233
rust is clinically depressed and understands the basic tenets of nihlism/existentialism but rejects the common answers to it like an objective morality from god, 'making your own happiness' etc

he wants there to be more but understands everything 'more' is a spook and doesn't get over it until the end of the show. so it makes sense why he would say something like that.
>>
File: reddit.png (184KB, 332x396px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
184KB, 332x396px
>>84372464
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then, brother, that person is a piece of shit."
>>
>>84372716
Simple recognition that for society to work it's better to be 'good' because it works better for the whole.
>>
File: hollywood.jpg (84KB, 960x646px) Image search: [Google]
hollywood.jpg
84KB, 960x646px
>>
>>84372972
Empathy
>>
>>84373390

Well, I'm sure glad people can have their ideologies. Be able to follow their own way to live or already established ones.

Whatever makes a person decent as long as it doesn't emotionally or physically harm others should be alright.

Seeing how Rust turned out at the end really puts in to perspective all the bullshit he spouted to himself was just to cope with losing his daughter and becoming a nihilistic fedora.
>>
>>84373399
The world is doomed
>>
>>84373294
Oh okay thank you for enlightening m'e m'good sir.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (118KB, 640x267px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
118KB, 640x267px
>>84372464
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. "
>>
>"There are wolves and sheep in this world kid… figure out which you're going to be"
>>
File: science was once the authority.jpg (78KB, 960x537px) Image search: [Google]
science was once the authority.jpg
78KB, 960x537px
>>84373513
Rust was atheist by the time we got to see him in TD. If he was a god botherer beforehand I'd imagine it was losing his little girl that caused the loss of whatever faith he had. He wasn't 'angry at god', just angry over his loss, and probably sick and tired of all the "she's in a better place now" and other such simpering platitudes. You can't get angry at nothing.

>a nihilistic fedora.
And there we go. What a surprise.

Every time we've seen these religion/atheism argument threads here on /tv/ (and 4chan in general) in the last decade or so they've always ended up with the pro-religious posters running around in circles chasing their own tails while the rest of us look on in bemusement. They never get past the circular logic arising from their own position, convinced that it's unassailable, and just start throwing out the same derogatory phrases over and over.

You're not convincing anyway here. Certainly not converting anyone. Why do you keep bringing this shit up at all?

Proselytisation via opening discussions on internet forums is pretty dumb given that it's where the smrtr types tend to hang out (even here on /tv/, yup). Suggest you stick to the less involved social media sites like twitter, facebook and tumblr where you could probably have a modicum of success on the atypical religious targets: the dumbasses.
>>
>>84372464
Rust was written like a high school philosopher. Can't believe people like that shit.
>>
>>84374117
Eugenics, midget Jew.
>>
>>84374117
>Suggest you stick to the less involved social media sites like twitter, facebook
>Posts r/atheism image which links to facebook

also why are you taking anything on this site seriously

are you retarded

stop it
>>
>>84373390
but if everyone realizes that I can just take advantage of them
>>
File: IMG_4855.jpg (36KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4855.jpg
36KB, 500x382px
>>
File: Almond Status - Activated.png (228KB, 421x389px) Image search: [Google]
Almond Status - Activated.png
228KB, 421x389px
>>84373390
So... instead of expecting divine reward I should expect mundane reward?
>>
File: 1494454741065.jpg (147KB, 400x392px) Image search: [Google]
1494454741065.jpg
147KB, 400x392px
>>84374488
The idea is that you should not need an incentive to be a decent person. It's about a nobility of spirit and an honorable way of conducting yourself. Many ancient civilizations prioritized this without the low-hanging fruit of eternal life being offered as reward.
>>
>>84374117
>Proselytisation via opening discussions on internet forums is pretty dumb
>Proceeds to proselyte on an internet forum
What should I conclude here?
>>
>>84372716
Out of empathy/sympathy for other human beings, to not cause them undeserved suffering.
>>
>>84372504
Fucking dumb nigger.
>>
>>84373957
love me some Better Kino Saul
>>
>>84373249
No it's not.
'Mo money mo problems' is equally profound using less improper grammar in a less ignorant way
>>
>>84373399
How would Hitler react to the Internet?
>>
>>84374117
>if I let people know how butthurt the fedora meme makes me maybe they'll stop
>>
>>84372464
Enjoy your stay, reddit tourist
>>
File: autismo.gif (18KB, 150x104px) Image search: [Google]
autismo.gif
18KB, 150x104px
>>84372716
You desire a nice experience, other players around you too. By instinct, you constantly put yourself in the shoes of other people. You wouldn't like an autist screaming in the bus, so you don't scream in the bus. Being decent helps to provide others a pleasent experience, plus you recieve social approval.
>>
>>84374544
Why though?
>>
>>84374866
Because being a bad person is destructive. Deception is destructive. It has destructive consequences if you're found out. People will begrudge you if you profit at their expense. It creates an unhealthy atmosphere in a community, one that can lead to violence or widespread discontent. What's bad for the goose is bad for the gander.

If you can't feel any empathy or sympathy for your fellow man, it's likely that you have some sort of mental illness, as well as being bland and uninteresting.
>>
File: kingg.png (64KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
kingg.png
64KB, 220x220px
>>84374866
Your mind and emotions is one of the few things, if not the only thing, that you can actually learn to control through consistent effort through several years. Being "decent" actually means being in control of yourself, bringing order to your mind. It's easy to just "relax man let it go" etc., so when someone shows control over themselved in any way, people naturally respect that, and people who understand this exercise control over themselves in many areas daily, with no reward other than conducting yourself how you want to.
>>
File: 1469140886813.jpg (164KB, 558x760px) Image search: [Google]
1469140886813.jpg
164KB, 558x760px
>>84374117
>atypical religious targets
>atypical

Pretentious idiot.

Protip: dressing up your words with prefixes doesn't make you sound any smarter when it changes their meaning, stupid.
>>
File: CIAs not dead.jpg (963KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
CIAs not dead.jpg
963KB, 1800x1800px
>>
>>84375001
Your self-righteousness has truly opened my eyes. Please, show us the true path! Proselytize to us!
>>
>>84375040
Exactly what part of the post blasted your butt?
>>
>>84372716
Because life and people are shitty and I would prefer to contribute as little to that shittiness as possible.
>>
>>84373323
How does he get over it?
>>
>>84374713
He'd probably be one of those /pol/tards that took the meme too far and would've never started his "glorious" reich. Probably get arrested for some hate crime or something.
>>
>>84374678
yes it is faggot
>>
File: ass2.jpg (7KB, 349x237px) Image search: [Google]
ass2.jpg
7KB, 349x237px
A S S
A
S
S
>>
>>84372464
You always act decent for a reward. American morality is based upon the Golden rule. The reason you follow the Golden Rule is so that everyone else also follows it, thus your reward is a decent society whose members treat each other nicely. Everyone creates that reward with each other.
You would not act decently if you had no guarantee (or relative mutual understanding) that everyone else would do approximately the same.
>>
>>84375136
He comes to terms with the death of his daughter
>>
>>84376320
It's trendy to shit on religion tho, and some people still try to push that it's "dangerous" and "daring" to go after Christianity.
>>
>>
>>84373513
Calm down religious halfwit. He's just pointing out that if you're only good because there's a gun to your head, that means you're a bad person. Very simple logic, but I understand that someone who uses the term "fedora" wouldn't be intelligent enough to grasp it.
>>
>>84373390
>>84374609
>>84374861
>>84375094
Observe these men. They stick to a lite version of christian morality without the belief in the base of the value system. They stick to it due to peer pressure in a still functioning society - they're afraid of repercussions so they stay in line - and make half-baked justifications to explain their beliefs.

Do you niggers even know what your base values are? If you really go down to it, I bet it's just "don't make a fuss so people don't come after me".
>>
>>84376745
Out of genuine curiosity, what are your base values?
>>
>>84372504

Should be a /gif/ banner
>>
>>84376648
It has nothing to do with a trend. As long as people have the freedom to do so they'll shit on religion because it's fucking hilarious and absurd. The idea that so many fully grown adults believe magic is real feels like it comes from a comedy, but it's reality. Shitting on that is the most natural thing in the world for someone with a logical mind, there's nothing "trendy" about it.
>>
>>84372464
>reminder that he testified for God that same year when he won the Oscar, probably to offset the message/impact that Rust might have imparted
>>
>>84376864
He's a redneck, that's to be expected
>>
>>84376745
The base of the value system lies in evolutionary psychology, not Christianity. Humans evolved to live in communities.
>>
>>84372716
Look up "prisoner's dilemma simulation." There's the answer.
>>
>>84372504
How many people has he let lick his face?
>>
>>84373399
>>84374926
Well he's not wrong
>>
>>84377077
Anyone who says something like "the Jew" is automatically wrong. Even they know they're wrong, but they're manipulating essentially retarded peasant farmers. And /pol/ level minds 80 years later, hilariously.
>>
>>84375001
> It's easy to just "relax man let it go" etc., so when someone shows control over themselved in any way, people naturally respect that

It's not easy and people actually respect relaxed people, they usually find them charismatic. It has something to do with relaxed = not afraid all the time/has life in order = high value/status.

But in general there is no need for control, just follow what feels good, it's how you find out your basic values anyway. And not what you think feels good, what actually feels good for you, so first a person has to have a deep connection with their own body. Without that people quickly jump to "BUT WHAT IF IT FEELS GOOD FOR ME TO KILL AND STEAL, HUH, WHAT NOW???". Yes, there is a chance of that, but in general people find that helping others, curious, honesty and truth feel good. It also helps to realize that most of material things are toys and keeping your integrity feels better than betraying others for large sums of money.
>>
>>84377139
t.jew
>>
>>84376777
My base values are derived from the fact that the only discernable purpose of a life form is to survive, reproduce and ensure the survival of its genetic material into perpetuity. From this the rest is derived - and before you retards shout about edgy social darwinist or whatever, pro-social behaviour is evolutionarily advsntageous.

What helps massively in this case is that most systems of morality are for the most part already established with this as the goal, since morals are just as much subject to natural selection as anything else. Systems that hinder their adherents' ability to survive and compete simply get replaced by others that give an advantage - which is how highly dogmatic, seemingly backwards religions are so successful. These religions provide a hard, easy to understand foundation for a value system that is often custom tailored for group success. So really, the Christians of old are mostly right about these things, but for the wrong reasons.
>>84376967
Yes and no. This is a really complicated topic, but what it boils down to is that some behaviours in a moral system are memetic, while others are genetic. There is a natural tendency to form bonds with people and natural reluctance to just up and murder a family member in most humans. But there is no natural tendency to be monogamous, to show mercy to enemies, to put some ideal or wider social group above immediate genetic kin.

All the posts I was replying to were citing some made up bullshit that is basically the result of atheists trying to justify the fact that they still mostly stick to the values of the religion they rejected. You can't cite bullshit as "minimizing suffering" and such, because you are not actually following it. If you truly had a base value of minimizing suffering, you'd want to hook everyone up to some drugs and vr, and probably just kill them in a painless way. The reason you don't do it is because you actually follow different, external morals.
>>
>>84373366
underrated kek
>>
>>84376920
ah, the atheist's latent hatred of the poor.
>>
>>84377301
This is fine and dandy but the original question the cited posts were replying to was "what other reason would there be to be decent". People replied "empathy", "provice nice experience for others" and "social approval". This lines up with your selfish gene worldview. Empathy, social approval and providing a nice experience for others helps you to survive, reproduce, and ensure survival of offspring, which can also be viewed as "christianity lite" since it's the same bullshit at the core but without the extra stuff.

Following your logic, one could also say that if your values truly are to survive and reproduce, you would be raping random chicks on the street to maximize offspring.

tl;dr you are an edgy 20 something that read something about dawkings one time while high and cherry picked whatever worked for you
>>
>>84374549
That irony is a literary device because it's inherent in human nature and not because someone thought it sounded cool
>>
File: 1324523422352.png (25KB, 501x328px) Image search: [Google]
1324523422352.png
25KB, 501x328px
>>84376826
Poor bastard, baited that hard for a (You) and didn't even get a fedora pic. Don't worry, I got you.
>>
>>84373233
>If you believe there is nothing more to life than sensory experience then the very idea of morality becomes obsolete
based anon.
this logic is undeniable.
right and wrong our man made concepts. If there is no higher forces or natural law
>>
>>84374488
>>84373390
Yes, but being nice offers less mundane rewards because there is less risk. It is more a reward for your soul. If you are rewarding your soul through your actions, then you are a honorable person. Also even the Vatican decided you can get into heaven just acting good because of the reward. Meaning that even they consider a good action good no matter the reason. Just because you operate under a reward system does not mean that your actions are dishonorable. Less honorable than acting purely out of kindness? Sure, but still not dishonorable. Kinda how Socrates said, "that which is neither good nor evil" acting purely for rewards will give you that kind of existence.
>>
Life moves pretty fast, if you dont stop and take a look around you might just miss it.
>>
File: mistediozo.png (320KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
mistediozo.png
320KB, 640x444px
I feel like people here are replying to each other without even understanding what the person they replied to was actually trying to say, and side / attack not because of the actual concrete arguments, but because they misunderstood what the other party was conveying and took it as against their view, or in favor of it. Pretty shitty discussion desu senpai.
>>
File: Based King Solomon.jpg (58KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
Based King Solomon.jpg
58KB, 850x400px
It's 100% true, thank you King Solomon.
>>
>>84378204
Yeah, that's pretty much /tv/
>>
>>84378240
a true edgelord
>>
>>84377691
>Following your logic, one could also say that if your values truly are to survive and reproduce, you would be raping random chicks on the street to maximize offspring.
Not really. Believe it or not, your genes are carried many many times over by members of your ethnic group. Anti social behaviour like that actually hinders the group as a whole, while the benefits of going on a rape spree like that are washed out completely within a couple of generations.
>>
>>84377691
>Empathy, social approval and providing a nice experience for others helps you to survive, reproduce, and ensure survival of offspring, which can also be viewed as "christianity lite" since it's the same bullshit at the core but without the extra stuff
I mean for fuck's sake, I already said that. My point is that citing "minimizing suffering" or whatnot is a bullshit reason. When those faggots cite that as their reason, they're being full of shit and the actual reason is that groups enforce behaviours that benefit the group, and individuals follow group enforced behaviours in order to thrive within it.
>tl;dr you are an edgy 20 something that read something about dawkings one time while high and cherry picked whatever worked for you
And you're a faggot so full of yourself that you can't even fucking read.
>>
>>84372464
>DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING
>>
>>84378204
I was like this once. Then i turned to shitposting for awhile. Now though, I just take everything as someone stating fact and call them out on it.
>>
>>84378204
Welcome to the internet, buddy
>>
File: t.png (65KB, 186x139px) Image search: [Google]
t.png
65KB, 186x139px
>>84378263
>>
File: 1475935106319.jpg (2MB, 2500x1685px) Image search: [Google]
1475935106319.jpg
2MB, 2500x1685px
>people assume it's just a simple part of homosapian's physiology and not religious guidance to not completely destroy social groups

This is actually quite true, but there's no way for humans to expand past are limits without the idea of reaching some sort of eternal bliss. The present state of your social, economic, personal, or even physical self does not matter when the future can be better than you can imagine.
This isn't to say that the idea of the perfect future can sustain itself, whatever your present is has to be content enough with you and you discontent with it for the path to open.
>>
>>84372716

Genuine unselfish kindness?
>>
>>84372464
>implying most modern Christians believe in salvation through works

WEW
E
W
>>
>>84377301
>and before you retards shout about edgy

But this is literally edgy autism.

Muh survival and propagation of the species in a first world nation. Not like you're spreading that genetic material anyway and your mother's paying for your survival and chicken tendies.
>>
>>84372716

I'm not a dick.
>>
>>84378447
HAH
>>
>>84372464
>rejects God
>becomes depressed suicidal alcoholic
Woooow how did that happen. I guess we'll never know
>>
>>84373390
spooky post
>>
>>84372716
found the /pol/ christcuck
>>
>>84378999
We'll technically between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, most do. Protestantism seems larger because of its overr representation in the States
>>
File: coincidence.jpg (21KB, 296x314px) Image search: [Google]
coincidence.jpg
21KB, 296x314px
>>84379127
>>
File: list_screenshot_30.jpg (95KB, 1500x620px) Image search: [Google]
list_screenshot_30.jpg
95KB, 1500x620px
Someday? Someday my dream will come? One night you will wake up and discover it never happened. It's all turned around on you. It never will. Suddenly you are old. Didn't happen, and it never will, because you were never going to do it anyway. You'll push it into memory and then zone out in your barco lounger, being hypnotized by daytime TV for the rest of your life. Don't you talk to me about murder. All it ever took was a down payment on a Lincoln town car. That girl,you can't even call that girl. What the fuck are you still doing driving a cab?
>>
>>84373233
>believing there is nothing more to life than sensory experience removes your ability to comprehend the fact other people are also having a sensory experience and treat them with some level of empathy/respect
you either misread the quote or you are retarded.
>>
File: sam-harris-rape-quote.jpg (96KB, 720x436px) Image search: [Google]
sam-harris-rape-quote.jpg
96KB, 720x436px
>>84374117
>>
>>84380142
>hypothetical exploiting magic
What an incredible waste of energy for an atheist
>>
>>84372464
Did Rust actually consider himself a decent person?
>>
>>84379643
No atheist has ever treated me with empathy or respect.
>>
>>84377139

Jew spotted.

Who was it that said that the jews were immunized against all threats and insults, but call him a jew and watch him shrink back and recoil, 'ive been found out!'.
>>
Being the better man is a good way of getting battered and broken by 20.
>>
>>84380218
Rust hit his edgy 16yo phase and stayed there for the rest of his life.

Coincidentally, so did matthew mcconaughey.
>>
File: Pepe..jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe..jpg
20KB, 306x306px
If there is no God, then Morality and Ethics are just subjective nonsense Society uses to have a Monopoly on Violence, so Individuals can't engage on acts that are Objectively good for them, but are harmful to others like Theft and Rape.
>>
This is Ironic since the actor that plays Rust is actually Christian.
>>
File: 143658215.jpg (41KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
143658215.jpg
41KB, 500x328px
>>84372464
Vatos Locos forever, homes!
>>
>>84372972
>additional reasons
The quote in OP literally says "THE ONLY THING" you fucktard.
>>
If laws didn't exist I'd rape so much.
>>
>>84374861
>>84374609
tbf then you could switch the quote to say "if the only thing keeping a person decent is a mental mechanism developed in humans to ensure survival then, brother, that person is a piece of shit"

>>84373390
"if the only thing keeping a person decent isfor society to "work", brother, that person is a piece of shit"
>>
File: IQWorldwide.png (80KB, 1272x800px) Image search: [Google]
IQWorldwide.png
80KB, 1272x800px
>>84373399
t. mad about superior Jewish IQ
>>
>>84380242
he never said that all people who don't expect divine rewards are good. you are making assumptions
>>
>>84381205
if you kikes are so smart how come you keep managing to get either banished or genocided by other peoples?
>>
>>84381268
Holocaust never happened, don't you read the redpills on /pol/?
>>
>>84381310
i'm not talking about holocaust
>>
>>84374678

Mo money mo problem

is my money my problem or more money more problem
>>
>>84373399
This activates almonds in a way that everything he is saying is true
>>
>>84381268
Kikes aren't really super smart so much as they're just completely and utterly devoid of things like honor and decency. They're schemers and shameless opportunists.
>>
>>84381240
Its an asumption to think that any atheist is a good person.
>>
File: 1472297124339.jpg (62KB, 789x444px) Image search: [Google]
1472297124339.jpg
62KB, 789x444px
>>84374117
>>
>>84379170
>muh tradition

Catholics aren't Christians. And orthodox people aren't much better
>>
>ITT: butthurt christcucks defending their kike overlords
Like a clockwork.
>>
>>84374678
Where did he use improper grammar?
>>
File: 1494517882713.jpg (9KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
1494517882713.jpg
9KB, 250x202px
>>84376331
>how does he get over it?
>by getting over it.
Oh thanks bruh
>>
>>84373540
was it ever not?
>>
>>84372716
You don't need a reason if you are a good person, that's the point.
>>
File: the heart.jpg (47KB, 576x822px) Image search: [Google]
the heart.jpg
47KB, 576x822px
>>84372716
>>
well, if only that is keeping him in check you have to glad he believes it right, or he would just fuck shit up non stop?
Even if he is a pice of shit at least he is decent piece of shit, when the alternative is total dont give a shit about anything piece of shit.
>>
File: 1446122990237.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446122990237.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>84378240
>i'm so smart but i also suffer so much more than everyone else
>>
>>84378240
Where does he work out though?
>>
File: 1276806461131.jpg (47KB, 397x272px) Image search: [Google]
1276806461131.jpg
47KB, 397x272px
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Helped me get through heartbreak, personal loss and failure.
>>
File: kanye-west-quotes-13.jpg (29KB, 495x329px) Image search: [Google]
kanye-west-quotes-13.jpg
29KB, 495x329px
>>
File: Jar.png (366KB, 479x560px) Image search: [Google]
Jar.png
366KB, 479x560px
>>84372716

do onto others...
>>
>TV quotes
>most quotes aren't from movies or tv shows

bravo nolan
>>
>>84372464
It's one of the best subtleties of the show that during that scene the preacher is actually laying out the entire message of the show and the lesson that it would take Marty twenty more years to learn.
>>
>>84382496
BASED CHRISTKEK PREACHER!
FUND ISRAEL!
>>
>>84373399
This is pretty fucking ironic considering
everyone that thinks the works of today are degenerate would consider the movies of hitler's time to be of a 'golden era' when he was talking about the movies he knew.

Also Hitler was a fan of cowboy movies and they're all boring as shit
>>
>>84381870
He has a near death experience and realizes that the illusion of consciousness isn't a bad, meaningless thing like he'd thought but is actually a beautiful thing because it means you're connected to everyone you love even after they're gone because you're just a part of the universe and so were they.

Basically he learns what the preacher was trying to tell him: https://youtu.be/5_y5AcBV0x0
>>
>>84373113
sheepdogs catch wolves, not other fucking wolves. what a dumb nigger
>>
>>84382553
>>84382533
>>84381870
>>84372464
The sermon the preacher gives in that scene would actually be my unironically answer to this thread:

I'm here today to talk to you about reality. I'm here to tell you about what you already know. That this -- all this -- is not real. It is merely the limitation of our senses, which are meager devices. Your angers and your griefs and your separations are a fevered hallucination, one suffered by us all we prisoners of light in matter. And there we all are, our faces pressed to the bars looking out, looking up, asking the question -- begging the question -- "Are you there?" Would that we had ears to hear. Because every moment, every now, is an answer. Every beat of every heart, every second of every minute, every minute of every hour, every hour of every day is an answer. And the answer is, "YES!" Listen... Your sorrows pin you to this place. They divide you from what your heart knows. And there are a lot of good hearts out there. I'm looking and I'm seeing a lot of good hearts out there. And we bandage our soft selves in hardness and anger. You are a stranger to yourself and yet He knows you. And when your hard heart made you liken to the stone and broke you from his body, which is the stars and the wind between the stars, He knew you. He knew you yet and forever... because, I ask you, how could the Father forget his children? How could the world forget itself? It doesn't matter that the children do not understand what they are. It doesn't matter that the world thinks it is many different things rather than one -- Him -- It doesn't matter. My sad and joyous and frightened and courageous brothers and sisters, I want you to do something for me. I want you to close your eyes. I want you to close your eyes and let your chests swell as His lungs... feel His pulsing in us, in each other, every single one of you sitting here today, each other... And I want you to listen for that answer.
>>
File: 1493150270768.png (295KB, 581x692px) Image search: [Google]
1493150270768.png
295KB, 581x692px
>Christfags
>on /tv/
r/The_Donald really has ruined this place.
>>
>>84382639
>Cont
If ever your sorrow becomes such a burden that you forget yourself, forget this world, I want you to remember this truth that's as indelible as the sun in the sky and the ground beneath your feet...This world is a veil and the face you wear is not your own. The shape of our true face is not yet known to us. And so I press my eyes to the bars and I look out and I look up. And I ask the question. No... I beg the question. Jesus Christ... Jesus Christ your arms open and close. The echoes of my life could never contain a single truth about you. You move the feather in the ash. You touch the leaf with His flame. You lent your soul to an infinity of atomic creation and because of it, I am less than a drop in the ocean. So how then can I know sorrow? How then can I know despair? Does the rain know sorrow? Does the grass and the mountains, those beautiful mountains, know despair? Such is not His province and so not be our purpose. Be... in him -- of him -- and then know peace. That is his gift to us; our birthright.
>>
>>84372716
The naturally occurring human empathy you'd possess if social isolation and /b/ hadn't deadened it.
>>
>>84378956
doesn't exist
>>
>>84374488
Your reward is looking in the mirror and seeing a man instead of an overgrown boy.
>>
>>84382643
You know it wasn't an actual preacher who just wandered on set right? That it was dialogue written by Nic Pizzolato and read by an actor?
And he wrote that character as someone in touch with the truth, a sort of rebuke to Rust, and Rust treats him with contempt because of his hangups. Just think about what he says to Rust as Rust walks away from him, "Compassion is ethics detective!"
Rusts answer is "Yes it is." in a dismissive way, showing how he doesn't even consider that this guy might be actually in the know and figures it's a broken clock being right situation.
He shoulda listened to him.

Incidentally, the preachers sermon is basically a summary of Huxleys The Perennial Philosophy with a bit of Alan Watts in the mix. But, tho Pizzolato might not be a true original (if such a thing even exists), but he's a great synthesizer and the preachers summary is almost better than Huxleys whole book.
>>
>>84372464
If you think that quote is deep or life changing, you're either 14 or mentally ill/disabled.
>>
>>84377691
>Empathy, social approval and providing a nice experience for others helps you to survive, reproduce, and ensure survival of offspring, which can also be viewed as "christianity lite" since it's the same bullshit at the core but without the extra stuff.
The point being, why would we give away adaptative features that have helped the survival of our group by bettering cohesion and cooperation?
And, on the other hand, why would you reject the adhesion of new adaptative features that allow your group - your included - to continue surviving?
>>
>>84376920
Such tolerance.
>>
>>84382732
>You know it wasn't an actual fedora who just wandered on set right?
>>
>>84372464
>TV quotes that changed your life thread.
Most reddit ass sentence I've ever read here.
>>
>>84383335
That's the point you imbecile
>>
good thread, really enjoyed reading it
thanks
>>
>>84374977
Being a bad person seems to be the template for the success I see around me, and the success I see around me isn't at all destructive.
>>
>>84376806
Fucking genius
>>
>>84373233
Why would morality become obsolete if you're an athiest, or agonstic? That is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Go outside anon
>>
>>84382287
Yeezy unironically got me through the darkest times of my life.
I love that man
>>
>>84378447
Look at that guy, stealing Lex Luthor's quote.
>>
>>84384487
I live in San Franciso.
>>
>>84379353
i love this movei , toms best
>>
>>84384487
because empathy doesn't exist and the only reason anyone does (or doesn't do) anything is because they're afraid of being slapped by skydaddy
>>
>>84385543
Empathy is literally a mecanism inside your brain. It's called mirror neurons, look it up cunt.
>>
>>84374117
I ain't reading all that you autistic weirdo.
>>
>>84385599
did you write that post with that next word suggestion thing?
>>
"C’est l’histoire d’une société qui tombe et qui au fur et à mesure de sa chute se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien... Le problème ce n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

(It's about a society on its way down. And as it falls,it keeps telling itself: "So far so good... So far so good... So far so good." [But] it's not how you fall that matters It's how you land.)

-La Haine
>>
>>84385647
Yes, now it's suggesting I call you a turbofag.
>>
File: 1496499052900.png (372KB, 1002x522px) Image search: [Google]
1496499052900.png
372KB, 1002x522px
>>
>>84385647
>posting from a phone
kek
>>
>>84377077

no but the Nazis engaged in shameless propagandizing so it pretty effin hypocritcal
>>
>>84385781
If you kill your enemies they win logic right here
>>
File: IMG_0483.jpg (318KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0483.jpg
318KB, 1920x1080px
"Every man dies. Not every man truly lives."
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.