[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dirk Gently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Dirk_Gently_2016_Logo.jpg (19KB, 397x251px) Image search: [Google]
Dirk_Gently_2016_Logo.jpg
19KB, 397x251px
Hey /tv/, is this show any good?
My friend told me to watch it but it looks like tumblr-bait.
>>
it's shit
>>
it's fine
>>
>>84318492
Starts off tumblr-bait-y but it gets better before ending on a really shitty cliffhanger
>>
>>84318492
Hello I'm not Max Landis and I'm here to tell you that it is great and you should watch it.
>>
>>84318492

It's genuinely alright; very entertaining in parts.

Best thing Landis has done (outside of Chronicle) by a long way.
>>
File: dvd-review-bbc-s-dirk-gently.png (2MB, 1045x1480px) Image search: [Google]
dvd-review-bbc-s-dirk-gently.png
2MB, 1045x1480px
>>84318492

It's pretty shitty. Watch the BBC adaptation with Stephen Mangan instead.
>>
>>84319021
His creepypasta Syfy show was better. The guy's a better fit for television than feature film writing desu
>>
It's okay. Dirk has still to be properly adapted for screen. They just can't cast the characters correctly, once they nail that then the rest will fall into place. Same with Hitchhiker's really.
>>
>>84318492

Max has a voice and if you like Max, you like this. It's an American take on British-Quirky storytelling being produced by the same BBC that gave us Sherlock (love it or hate it) so take that for context.
>>
>>84319185
I don't care what anyone says, the Hitchhikers movie was good.
>>
File: 1480234238495.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480234238495.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>84318492
Best new show I of 2016, hands down, and a great Dirk Gently adaptation.

>>84319185
>They just can't cast the characters correctly
>Same with Hitchhiker's really
And what did you think was wrong with the casting of the Hitchikers TV show? Douglas Adams picked them all.
>>
>let's replace the original characters which are bumbling idiots with QUIRKY bumbling idiots
>Dirk is fucking annoying
>story has nothing to do with the novels, literally just exists so they can use the IP to rope in idiot tumblrinas
>terrible gun fights everywhere because the mystery sucks

Its shit
>>
>>84321196
>>let's replace the original characters which are bumbling idiots with QUIRKY bumbling idiots
What definition of Quirky applies to this version but not the Harry Enfield or Stephen Mangan versions?

>>story has nothing to do with the novels
Oh boy I sure would love a 4th version of the novels, yessir, we fans definitely have not heard that story enough times already.

>gun fights everywhere
Did you only watch the pilot episode?

>because the mystery sucks
(You)
>>
Thought it was too LOLRANDOM at first but I loved how the first episode ended so I kept watching. Now it's an all-time favourite show of mine, the mystery was compelling and the resolution was satisfying albeit predictable. Only show I can think of where there wasn't a single important character who I didn't like. Can't fuckin wait for Season 2 this year
>>
>>84321627
>Thought it was too LOLRANDOM at first
That's the Dirk Gently style, the novels and radio series all just throw a load of nonsense at you to start with and then over the course of the story you realise it isn't nonsense, and it's all connected to the single case being investigated. I was very impressed at how well they translated that style to the silver screen.

The radio series is definitely worth a listen by the way, it's got great production values with surround sound, a soundtrack and sound effects. Also it's Harry Enfield (lodsamone) and Pippin from LotR.
>>
>>84318492

Great show, really enjoyed it. The best part is how every opposing faction has no fucking idea what is going on.
>>
>>84318492
It bored the shit out of me, but the book did too, so as adaptations go it was spot-on.
>>
>>84319093

>Fun

The Guardian (U.K.)

truly the most ringing endorsement
>>
>>84318492
It's pure Tumblr bait with le quirky characters that are just like me. *Hold up spork* I love Doctor Who
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.