[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So it represents death, right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 15

File: latest[1].jpg (24KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
24KB, 720x576px
So it represents death, right?
>>
>>84311340
Well only if you take it to represent Saturn
>>
>>84311340
Obelisk represents penis. Nimrod's specifically.
>>
I thought it was supposed to represent Lucifer.
>>
>>84311340
It fucking represents tools (that mankind has to overcome to make the next evolutionary step i.e. space baby).
>>
It represents the limit of knowledge.
>>
>>84311484
pleb interpretation
>>
I haven't seen it but I think it represents the origin of civilization wich is greed
>>
>>84311484
>>84311499
Notice how anon doesn't give another interpretation
He just says that the other anon interpretation is wrong
This is what summer entails
>>
>>84311499
not an argument
>>
>>84311548
>greed
The apes were hungry, tired and thirsty. I don't think their motivation was to be the greedest primeapes around.
>>
Rob Ager is your guide to Kubrick kino. It's a cinema screen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSo6s_xrj4c
>>
File: Joliette-cinema.jpg (49KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Joliette-cinema.jpg
49KB, 800x450px
It represents the cinema screen turned to a portrait format.
>>
>>84311548
Watch the movie. One apes starts using a bone as a tool. The usage of tools was used to be a major distinction between humans and animals. So yeah, you aren't completely off; it represents the beginning of "mankind".
>>84311457
Luzifer brought fire i.e. a tools, so yeah that compatible. Although I don't see a lot of Christian stuff in 2001.
>>84311402
Saturn is a cruel father and in astrology is associated with limitations. So seeing it as Saturn is compatible with what I wrote.
>>
>>84311628
but they fought to have it didn't they?
without the desire to own the pilar, the monkeys wouldn't have fight and use the tools
>>
>>84311703
Yeah, tools bring internal distinction. Distinctions causes conflict. This is one of the reasons Kubrick want humanity to leave tools behind.
>>
>>84311703
>>84311725
Fucking retarded. The usage tools represent consciousness which was brought by or represented by the monolith. Before the monolith the monkeys like animals today lived in a unconscious natural state. They still kill each other but in the way that fulfills their natural purpose and they don't know any better. Consciousness or sentience breaks the "innocence" of mankind from this balance of the natural world. You can call it a blessing or a curse. It's basically a retelling of the Garden of Eden story and the fruit being the monolith.
You guys are turbo fucking plebs. >>>/r/eddit. Btw these ideas are just the basics and barely scratching the surface.
>>
>>84311725
it also makes the species evolve and reach new highs
did kubrick really said that he wanted us to go back to the caves?
>>
>>84311586
Go back to sleep Rob.
>>
>>84311811
I think what he wanted to say is that technology shouldn't be the point of humanity because it might replace us in that case. Technology should serve humans not the other way around.
>>
>>84311805
>The usage tools represent consciousness
Which is exactly what I wrote here >>84311628
Also the monolith can be more than one thing at the same time which I stated in the same post. If you think there is 1:1 translation in Kubrick movies you are the turbo pleb.

Stop sperging summerfag.

>>84311811
>it also makes the species evolve and reach new highs
Yeah.
>did kubrick really said that he wanted us to go back to the caves?
Nah, the next step is space traveling without spaceships i.e. become the space baby.
You can also agree with Cpt. Autismo here >>84311805
and see it as the return of consciousness to nature which tools devised it from. Or you can accept that he meant to have more than one line of thought in that movie.
>>
>>84311866
so like the unabomber manifesto
>>
>>84311891
"Exactly what you wrote"
Hurr durr, humans can use tools so they not animals. Wow you really went into depth like I did and it's exactly the same.
>>
>>84311805
>>84311811
>>84311866
>>84311891
Or maybe it's about dropping the military inspirations for technological progress? I dunno.
>>
The obelisk was the tree of knowledge which god warned against. Knowledge ruined the peacefulness of the time before murder, sin etc

Monkeys are smarter than us
>>
>>84311969
>Monkeys are smarter than us
>>
>>84311969
>being stupid is the real intelligence
u w0t?
>>
>>84311989
>>84312004
If you are too stupid to know you're stupid, then does it matter? Look at you two prime examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Pottery.
>>
File: 1420592232721.jpg (23KB, 258x288px) Image search: [Google]
1420592232721.jpg
23KB, 258x288px
>>84311918
>really went into depth like I did
>implying you went deep cause you used the word consciousness

How is High School treating you?

Anyway the usage of tools was in the 60s thought to be the main distinction between humans and animals (it's not). Why? Because the usage of tools, so goes the overhauled theory, implies the existence of a self-(consciousness). If you wouldn't be so fucking anally retarded you could see that your statement does not contradict what I said you are married to what you seem to believe to be a """deep""" thought that you probably picked up on some youtube channel. Now please nitpick the difference between what I said and your statement in an autistic manner.
>>
>>84311945
>military inspirations for technological progress? I dunno
it was the military inspirations that got us the jet engine, the rocket, the nuclear power and all
without military competition, technology stagnates
it only took 50 years between the first plane and a the moon landing
50 years
yet after the end of the cold war, we have only seen an rc car on mars
war is the origin of civilization
>>
>>84311340

It is a fucking tool to create and destroy life in geometrical perfection. Nothing to interpret, it just is a machine.
>>
File: images.jpg (36KB, 561x900px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
36KB, 561x900px
>>84311945
Yeah, I mean that's in there too especially with the Cold War backdrop.
>>84312057
Well. The war makes progress is meme but big fucking organizations with a lot of resources like states at war do make progress.
>war is the origin of civilization
Yeah, I believed that too when I was 13. Then I started picking up books.
>>
>big black thing appears in Africa
>later is encountered by white men
>it gives birth to a weird looking kid
what was kubrick trying to imply here?
>>
>>84312057
>war is the origin of civilization
But that's wrong. The agricultural revolution is the origin of civilization and it was forced by the environmental changes.
>>
>>84312049
Wow. All that ad hominem and projection. You write like a tryhard high schooler desu. Did you mention Garden of Eden? That's basic Genesis shit.
>>84311628
>Lucifer brought fire ie tools
>not much Christian stuff
Look how retarded you are. Lucifer is the light bringer. Light = consciousness NOT fucking tools you baffoon. Tools are merely the consequence of sentience.
Literally the Garden of Eden retelling. Monolith = Tree of Knowledge
>not much Christian stuff in 2001
>not much
Dude just kys. It's fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>84312104
>Yeah, I believed that too when I was 13. Then I started picking up books.
and you read what?
>>84312146
only with the treat of other agricultural groups competing did civilization start
>>
>>84312232
Again, wrong.
If anything, the first danger early adopters of agriculture faced were starving hunter-gatherers in neighbourhood.
>>
>>84312146
>forced by the environmental changes.
lmao
we have a guns and steel guy here
>>
>>84312258
so they had to make war against them
see?
>>
>>84312307
What is that thing you're referring?
>>
agriculture doesn't imply civilization
>>
>>84311340
it doesnt represent anything
its a catalyst for evolution
>>
>>84311340
It's a black box. It represents higher, utterly superhuman intelligence and its impenetrable mystery.
>>
File: 2001-monolith.jpg (19KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
2001-monolith.jpg
19KB, 600x300px
What's going on in this thre-
>emits ear-piercing tone
>>
>>84312374
So it represents the catalyst for evolution? It represents something m8. Unless you're saying Kubrick or you personally believe that rock and monkey scene is 100% historically accurate and we evolved from monkeys dancing around a monolith.
>>
>>84312184
>baffoon

buffoon*

You're right though, the monolith probably does represent knowledge.
>>
It's death, it's religion, it's danger, it's everything that's beyond our understanding and sparks our curiosity and need for progress.
>>
>>84312405
>black box
>black box represents recording device inside planes
>record of mankind
>monolith points to the sun
>it's not the monolith that gives us intelligence but the sun
>the record/history points to the cycles of our sun
You either believe this happened naturally or someone programmed us to unlock intelligence at a certain number of cycles around the sun or some ayyys came and uplifted us with a monolith. Kubrick lets you pick.
>>
It is a bookmark.
Which represents read the book.
>>
>>84312462
>correcting spelling on 4chin
>dat spacing
Go back. I said monolith is consciousness not knowledge.
>>
>>84312551
>Monolith = Tree of Knowledge
>>
File: 20161008145908_1.jpg (71KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
20161008145908_1.jpg
71KB, 800x600px
We destroy that and this is over! Charge!
>>
>>84312501
The alien intelligence nudges our ancestors forward toward fuller sentience and consciousness. How? Why?

We don't know.

The alien intelligence parks that monolith on the moon, buries it, and it waits millions of years to be discovered, upon which time it emits a signal to another monolith orbiting Jupiter. When we reach it, it takes another member of our species and advances their sentience and consciousness another, perhaps final step. How? Why? To what ultimate purpose?

We don't know. It's a black box.
>>
File: IMG_5166.jpg (48KB, 468x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5166.jpg
48KB, 468x346px
SIT BACK AND LET ARTHUR C. CLARKE TELL YOU WHAT'S WHAT.

Now the long wait was ending. On yet another world, intelligence had been born and was escaping from its planetary cradle. An ancient experiment was about to reach its climax.

Those who had begun that experiment, so long ago, had not been men -- or even remotely human. But they were flesh and blood, and when they looked out across the deeps of space, they felt awe, and wonder, and loneliness. As soon as they possessed the power, they set forth for the stars.

In their explorations, they encountered life in many forms, and watched the workings of evolution on a thousand worlds. They saw how often the first faint sparks of intelligence flickered and died in the cosmic night.

And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere. They became farmers in the fileds of the stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped.

And sometimes, dispassionately, they had to weed.
>>
>>84313066
The great dinosaurs had long perished when the survey ship entered the Solar System after a voyage that had already lasted a thousand years. It swept past the frozen outer planets, paused briefly above the deserts of dying Mars, and presently looked down on Earth.

Spread out beneath them, the explorers saw a world swarming with life. For years they studied, collected, catalogued. When they had learned all that they could, they began to modify. They tinkered with the destiny of many species, on land and in the ocean. But which of their experiments would succeed they could not know for at least a million years.

They were patient, but they were not yet immortal. There was so much to do in this universe of a hundred billion suns, and other worlds were calling. So they set out once more into the abyss, knowing that they would never come this way again.

Nor was there any need. The servants they had left behind would do the rest.

On Earth, the glaciers came and went, while above them the changeless Moon still carried its secret. WIth a yet slower rythm than the polar ice, the tides of civilization ebbed and flowed across the galaxy. Strange and beautiful and terrible empires rose and fell, and passed their knowledge to their successors. Earth was not forgotten, but another visit would serve little purpose. It was one of a million worlds, few of which would ever speak.
>>
It represents a shitty non-idea to make stupid people think there was some 2deep4u meaning.
>>
>>84313105
And now, out among the stars, evolution was driving toward new goals. The first explorers of Earth had long since come to the limits of flesh and blood; as soon as their machines were better that their bodies, it was time to move. First their brains, and then their thoughts alone, they transformed into shining new homes of metal and plastic.

In these, they roamed among the stars. They no longer built spaceships, they *were* spaceships.

But the age of Machine-entities swiftly passed. In their ceaseless experimenting, they had learned to store knowledge in the structure of space itself, and to preserve their thoughts for eternity in frozen lattices of light. They could become creatures of radiation, free at last from the tyranny of matter.

Into pure energy, therefore, they presently tranformed themselves; and on a thousand worlds, the empty shells they had discarded twitched for a while in a mindless dance of death, then crumbled into rust.

Now they were lords of the galaxy, and beyond the reach of time. They could rove at will among the stars, and sink like a subtle mist through the very interstices of space. But despite their godlike powers, they had not wholly forgotten their origin, in the warm slime of a vanished sea.

And they still watched over the experiments their ancestors had started, so long ago.
>>
plebs
>>
>>84313148
But the decor isn't Renaissance, it's Louis XIV.
>>
>>84312584
Just because it has the word knowledge in it it doesn't mean literally. Fucking idiot. Try reading book once.
>>
File: cover.jpg (42KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
42KB, 700x700px
>>
>>84313179

literally one of the models for the renaissance king
>>
>>84313225
t. bible expert
>>
>>84313148
seems legit
>>
>>84313066
>>84313105
>>84313127

Thanks for this. Excerpts from 2010?
>>
>>84313066
Why would I listen to some B grade SF author
>>
>>84311898
Prove him wrong
Oh wait you can't
>>
>>84311628
You have never read the Bible or a single ancient myth in your life. Your entire education is cultural osmosis filtered through (probably) your parents spiritualy ignorant popular world view
>>
>>84311628
>One apes starts using a bone as a tool.
The emphasis here is that it is a "weapon" instead of a "tool". Mankind discovers first weapon. And during the famous bone-to-spaceship cut, it is not a spaceship but a nuclear weapon. From the first, the most primitive weapon to the most advanced, ultimate weapon.
>>
>>84313281
I'm not. It doesn't take a bible expert. Quit shitting up the thread /b/tard. You think I can't tell you're underageb&?
>>
>>84313413
explain it then
>>
>>84313366
>spiritualy ignoran
:^)
>>
>>84313294
It was originally written for the novel of 2001, and it was also quoted in 2010 and 3001.
>>
File: clear-quartz-8.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
clear-quartz-8.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
ITT: fags who have never actually read 2001

from what I remember when I read it ages ago:

The monoliths were created by an ancient race that had become so technologically advanced that they implanted their own consciousness into machines. I think it's even implied that they seeded the universe. At any rate, when they find a planet suitable to life, they leave behind a few monoliths in key parts of that solar system as a sort of relay system until the final one opens up the gateway to the """universal highway""". The monoliths themselves had the task of teaching and or guiding the native species sufficiently intelligent enough to be viable candidates for becoming the planet's dominant species basic shit so that they're not eaten by tigers. And can make tools and stop being stupid savages. The monolith on earth (which is crystalline in the book) literally physically assaults the apes and forces their hands and bodies to do complicated things like throw rocks into hoops that forms on itself. I'm not shitting you. Anyways, most people probably know this but the monolith on earth sends a signal to the monolith on the moon, then to the one in orbit over I think saturn. It takes Dave like half a year (with no satellite to contact earth) and when he finally does get to it, it literally swallows up the ship and he's put into a little room and becomes a space baby the end. It's been years so I might be wrong in a few places
>>
>>84313273
He's a model enlightenment era king, not renaissance.
>>
>>84313462
Tree of Knowledge represents consciousness. When Adam and Eve ate from the tree, they gained the ability to know good from evil like God. It's not some specific "knowledge" but an idea.

For example, like you seem to know a lot of what you believe is "knowledge" but you lack sentience, the ability to judge good from bad. That makes you act and ask retarded shit like a dumb nigger.
>>
>>84313484
I've never read 3001. Is it any good?
>>
>>84313593
Not him, but the entire book series is good if you're into sci-fi. If you prefer the movie style then you'll probably hate, well, all the books. They're a very different animal
>>
>>84313579
then why is it called the tree of knowledge?

just admit you were wrong, stop trying to win the argument
>>
File: odtssey2001_16.jpg (49KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
odtssey2001_16.jpg
49KB, 533x400px
>>84311340
Is it racist? How come black people were never exposed?
>>
>>84313615
I'm a sucker for a good story, regardless of medium. I'll give it a look.
>>
>>84313632
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_the_knowledge_of_good_and_evil
Read it yourself. Faggot. You win. It literally means knowledge. I'm glad your mother never ate from it since she would be so disappointed to have knowledge she gave birth to such a fucking retard.
>>
>>84313304
Because it's his story and if you people read a fucking book once in your lives we wouldn't have this shitty thread.

There is nothing to interpret.
>>
File: IMG_5168.jpg (50KB, 474x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5168.jpg
50KB, 474x700px
And now, a more prosaic excerpt from 2010:

'We're talking about these things as if they're persons - intelligent entities. They're not - they're tools. But general-purpose tools - able to do anything they have to. The one on the Moon was a signalling device - or a spy, if you like. The one that Bowman met - our original Zagadka - was some kind of transportation system. Now it's doing something else, though God knows what. And there may be others all over the Universe.

'I had just such a gadget when I was a kid... Do you know what Zagadka really is? Just the cosmic equivalent of the good old Swiss Army knife!'

>>84313662
3001 kind of sucked, to be honest. Frank Poole gets brought back to life, the aliens are trying to kill us but we stop them by infecting them with a computer virus, it was a really short novel printed in unusually large type.
>>
>>84311340

tehre;s no death, only transformation
>>
File: pepe15.png (69KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
pepe15.png
69KB, 251x242px
>>84313788
>it's a phoneposter episode
>>
>>84313961
>pepe15
you fucking /pol/shitters shouldn't be talking
>>
>>84313961
>my arguments are superior because I sit my fat ass at my computer and full keyboard to formulate it on par with high literature
>>
>>84311811
Nah man
Nuclear holocaust is gonna wipe the foolish goyim out.
>>
Can anyone explain to me why one was on the moon? Does this mean the monolith at the beginning with monkeys was on the moon? Why were there monkeys on the moon? What did Kubrick mean by this
>>
it symbolizes bbc
>>
>>84314396
No, the Monolith came to Earth to uplift the man-apes' intelligence. A second Monolith was buried on the Moon to determine when humans would become advanced enough to travel there and discover it. When that happened, it sent a signal to a third Monolith orbiting Jupiter, which would capture the humans who would come to investigate it.
>>
Most of you are missing the point. There is no explanation. It's not like Kubrick knows the answer but doesn't tell anyone, and through sufficient analysis you can crack the code and figure out what Kubrick meant. The monoliths and associated events are pure mystery. That's not a failure of Kubrick's art - rather, that is his success. Kubrick already performed a miracle with the monoliths, managing to put raw cosmic awe / terror on the screen. Few artists have ever come so close to successfully portraying something trans-human, perhaps Lovecraftian in its relationship to humanity. But Kubrick, being human, cannot deliver an explanation that is beyond human. All he can do is set up the mystery in a way that is accurate to reality. The movie doesn't point in, toward an explanation. It points out, toward the actual mystery of actual life.
>>
File: IMG_5169.jpg (128KB, 600x1020px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5169.jpg
128KB, 600x1020px
>>84314920
It's not a mystery when you can find the solution BY READING THE FUCKING BOOK.
>>
>>84314920
ur pure mystery faggot.
>>
I thought it represented unity, a "monolithic" One. Not God, but the world of Ideas, separated from the tangible world of the apes. Only when the ape will access the unity of Reason will they be able to give birth to civilization.
>>
>>84315000
Bookfags are the worst. Book was a byproduct of the movie.
>>
I think so.
I'd guess it represents "transcendence" though, death in itself could be seen as a kind of transcendence and it also leads to to it through the pressure it exerts in a person's psyche.
>>
>>84315071
Nice. Someone contributing something new.
>>
>>84315000
I don't consider the book to be part of the same artistic universe as the movie. The book is decent but the movie is so far and beyond better than I prefer to consider the movie as a completely stand-alone work.
>>
>>84314920
Well said.
>>
>>84311340
What do you mean "represents?"
>>
>>84311499
or Kubrick's interpretation but ok
>>
>>84311579
He's a fucking retard.
>>
>>84311579
>>84311586
I can imagine Kubrick putting that in there as a joke interpretation, but certainly I can't imagine it to be the primary one he had in mind, if he had one at all. As far as I can tell, Kubrick never cared much for meta-narratives about the art of cinema and so on, and I doubt he would have used his space epic to make one.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.