[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I first started getting into film, around age 13, I tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 2001_poster.jpg (29KB, 341x454px) Image search: [Google]
2001_poster.jpg
29KB, 341x454px
When I first started getting into film, around age 13, I tried 2001: A Space Odyssey and I made it 30 minutes in and hated it.

That was 11 years ago. After fucking graduating from film school and working in the industry for about two years now, I finally sat down to watch the whole thing.

Easily one of the best fucking movies ever. I know I'm not exactly unique in that opinion, as folks have been saying that for as long as I can remember, but man. The visual effects alone are some of the best I've ever seen, and this movie is almost 50 years old. The story, ambiguous as it is, is brilliant. The music, the characters, the acting - it's great.

And so I read the book. And was blown away by THAT, too. I devoured it in one single night.

Let's talk about classics that we never got into and have other anons convince us to give them another shot.
>>
I tried watching citizen kane but found it too dated and stopped after 20 minutes or so. I understand it influenced modern movies but modern movies are terrible so why do people like it?
>>
I never liked It's a Wonderful Life because I can't stand James Stewart and his retard face.
I also dislike The night of the hunter. Mitchum is great and the visuals are amazing but the rest of the movie isn't that good, especially the ending.
>>
>>84281092
Just think of all the really good film noir that came out after Citizen Kane. The ridiculous lighting and dramatic camera angles had an enormous effect on all of those movies. Watch The Killing by Kubrick or something and you might appreciate Citizen Kane more.
>>
>>84281092
I would say try and watch Kane when you're in the mood of, like, a bioepic or a drama. The influence Citizen Kane had isn't so much in it's story telling, but visual style and editing decisions. It really is great. Maybe not GOAT like some will tell you, but it deserves a majority of its praise.

>>84281302
I don't like It's A Wonderful Life either. Would be interested in hearing why people like it. Although I do love Jimmy Stewart.
>>
The man who shot Liberty Vance. I think due to the acting style of that era(though it doesn't usually bother me), combined with what I thought was bad pacing made me dislike it. Worst part is like a 10 minute scene where a lawyer teaches a bunch of illiterates why the constitution is important, made me turn it off.
>>
The Conversation
>>
>>84281092

>muh innovative camera angles

Can't believe that's enough to get a movie labelled "the best movie ever". Especially when the plot is nothing special at all.
>>
I couldn't get into this. It barely has a plot. It's just a bunch of people hanging out in Casablanca and nothing really happens. I turned it off when they got to the romance part that was impossible to care about.
>>
>>84281484
What didn't you like about it? It's a nice character study that conveys loneliness well, despite the protagonist coming into contact with quite a few people throughout the film
>>
>>84281484
Why ? I thought it's was exceptional.
>>
>>84281601
This is one of the few 'classic' films that never clicked for me. Gone With The Wind is another. Both rely on romance to provide the audience an emotional hook.
>>
>>84281302
>>84281357

My problem with It's a Wonderful Life is that it lasts over two hours and it doesn't really get good until last 30 minutes. The rest of the movie is just setup for those 30 minutes and it's not really that interesting along the way. Should have been shortened a lot.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.