[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long standing Trek rule

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 11

File: star-trek-discovery-poster.jpg (454KB, 670x977px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-discovery-poster.jpg
454KB, 670x977px
>Showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg — working from a creative roadmap laid out by executive producer Bryan Fuller — are delivering a Trek saga that gets rid of one the franchise’s decades-old limitations in an effort to evolve the series.
>As part of Trek creator Gene Roddenberry’s utopian vision of the future (and one that Trek franchise executive producer Rick Berman carried on after Roddenberry’s death in 1991), writers on Trek shows were urged to avoid having Starfleet crew members in significant conflict with one another (unless a crew member is, say, possessed by an alien force), or from being shown in any seriously negative way.
>Drama is conflict, after all, and if all the conflict stems from non-Starfleet members on a show whose regular cast consists almost entirely of Starfleet officers, it hugely limits the types of stories that can be told.
>So for the CBS All Access series coming Sept. 24, that restriction has been lifted and the writers are allowed to tell types of stories that were discouraged for decades.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/23/star-trek-discovery-rules/
>>
>>84220409

Literally some of the best TNG episodes are about conflict between Starfleet personnel over a ton of issues, what is this bullshit?
>>
So their plan to "evolve" the show isn't to take it in a new direction or time period. It's just to add edgy in-fighting

Great
>>
>>84220482
no personal conflict i guess.
this was actually a good rule it stopped the series from becoming a soapie
>>
>>84220482
DS9, VOY and ENT too

Roddenberry has been dead 15 years, that rule hasn't applied in a long time. But they need something to put in the hype pieces
>>
>>84220506
>edgy in-fighting
In all likelihood it'll stray more into the bitchy drama areas. So relationship shit, complaints about why character X isn't in love with character Y, who loves character Z. Difficulties working with each other because character A hurt character B's feelings, but it was all a misunderstanding. That garbage.
>>
The "conflict" between Spock and Uhura in Into Darkness didn't help the movie.
>>
>>84220536
>no personal conflict i guess.

They had those too!
>>
File: 1472759112462.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1472759112462.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
>>84220601
>So relationship shit
no anon, you don't see yet the full picture of what they are going to do with Star Trek. It is going to be LGBT relationship shit.
Forget exploration, the final frontier, the unknown. It's going to be edgy, diverse and progressive. I'm calling it now, it's going to be the Ghostbusters remake of Star Trek.
>>
>>84220409
>Star Trek: Discovery
>Not set after Voyager

What were they thinking, will it even be worth watching?
>>
>>84220791
Dont forget that the captain is a fucking white male, the whole show will be about the crew getting up his ass on how wrong he is on everything. I wouldn't me surprised if it ends in a mutiny.
>>
15 episodes and never heard of again. CBS suits can't wait to put this garbage to rest.
>>
>>84220837
No, of course it won't

And because people only know Kirk and Spock, people with CBS all access don't know who Janeway is
>>
>>84220858
If it wasn't a white male, you'd complain that it wasn't a white male.
>>
>>84220791
>No exploration of the unknown.

For a cis white male like yourself, there will be plenty of exploration of the unknown.

It is just all the exploration this time will involve boldly discovering knowledge about interracial gay relationships.
>>
I know I'm late to the party but can we talk about how fucking awful Beyond was? Worst movie in the franchise by a long shot.
>>
>>84221120
I didn't think it was awful, but I also didn't think it was that great either. It reminded me of Insurrection - like it felt like they took an average episode of the show and stretched it to a movie. It was better than Into Darkness though.
>>
>>84221120
It was the best New Trek movie, the one that got the closest to the spirit of the original series
>>
>>84220409

So they want to use formulac stuff instead of having to think and try new things. Gotcha.
>>
>>84220409
So instead of a Star Fleet where everyone respects each other as professionals, we're going to get adults acting like hormonal teenagers and getting into typically teenage drama?? So its going to be Grey's Anatomy in Space??
>>
>>84220506
>>84220536
>>84220791
>>84220858

have you retards even seen star trek, they had all this shit in tng,ds9,voy, ent

that shit went out the window by season 1 of tng.
>>
>>84221238
>the one that got the closest to the spirit of the original series
how so?
>>
>>84221331

>they would let people unsuited for deep space voyage run a ship that costs star fleet untold resources.
Sounds like the reality the liberals are trying to push on all of us now. You shouldnt be qualified just diversified
>>
>>84221338
When was there ever any conflict between two of the main characters that wasn't resolved by the end of the episode? Or if it wasn't 100% resolved, it was never mentioned again?
>>
>>84221113
how dare you assume my gender? I'm a transgender android who evolved into gaseous plasma waves, shitlord. I just like my Star Trek to be about people who are on a trek...through the stars. These people should get along, because muh Federation. It shouldn't be about forced diversity bullshit and gay relationships.
>>
>>84220409
That's an old hat. We've seen this regularly since TNG.

Oh wait, what they actually mean is: They now portray professional adults as bickering children.

Like that one scene in STID where Uhura and Spock "discuss" their relationship in the shuttle.
>>
WOW, that poster is horrible.
>>
>>84221238
>Spirit of the original series

Which episode had the Enterprise do a flyby of ships blaring Led Zeppelin, I guess?
The same ships whose only weakness was fucking goddamn radio? How is it even possible to build a spaceship that can fly through a nebula but exploded in a fireball when exposed to radio waves? Which exist in a nebula?

Doesn't even make sense thematically. The individualistic aliens trying to destroy the federation because working together is lame are beaten by their interconnected computer network.
>>
Art depicts life, the Utopian vision of the future was a product of it's time.
>>
>>84221383
Quark and pretty much every other main character in DS9
>>
Holy shit it hasn't been that way since TNG s03. Ds9 is all about conflict
>>
File: 1482521972317.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1482521972317.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>Ultra Left creator of Television show has his show destroyed by modern SJW leftists

Poetry
>>
man I'm starting to hate Bryan Fuller so much
>>
Do the producers of Discovery not remember how Stargate died?

Universe has a great premise and they ruined it with edgy grimdark infighting and teen drama. Discovery is going to be that with added sjw pandering.

Star Trek and SciFi as a whole will not survive this.
>>
>>84221383

What does it matter if there was or wasn't resolution, the conflict still existed.
>>
>>84221541
He is not involved since the basic development stage. Kurtzman is the main show runner now.
>>
File: jewaway.jpg (67KB, 705x530px) Image search: [Google]
jewaway.jpg
67KB, 705x530px
>>84221488
>>84221338
>implying DS9 isn't an invasion story that is in contrast to peace time, that only occasionally felt like Star Trek
>implying VOY isn't about an mass murdering insane bitch, that almost never felt like Star Trek
>implying ENT isn't a retarded reflection on 9/11 that also retconned all Vulcans into bigoted retards, that only in a handful of episodes resembled Star Trek
>>
File: five.jpg (33KB, 825x464px) Image search: [Google]
five.jpg
33KB, 825x464px
>>84221547
Based Dark Matter will keep scifi tv alive.
>>
File: Just fuck my hope up-.jpg (217KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
Just fuck my hope up-.jpg
217KB, 766x960px
>>84220889
People period don't know what fucking CBS All Access is.
>>
>>84221699
Canada will save SciFi!
>>
>>84221729
I like to imagine people going to Netflix and being annoyed that they can't find it
>>
File: The-Expanse-Sed-loses-head.png (273KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The-Expanse-Sed-loses-head.png
273KB, 720x404px
>>84221699
Almost all of the action and all of the weapon scenes are pure cringe. This season a group of futurist mercenaries board the ship.

>let me attach a little metal disk to make the door open sparks then open door would cost too much
>let me walk into an obvious defensive position
>see head of enemy and don't shoot or throw grenade.
>he he come out girl we won't hurt you....much
>suddenly surprised when she kills a couple of you
>oh shit we are under fire lets run away so we can get ambushed again.
>robot waifu uses combat mode
>blows smoke from barrel to show how badass she is

Don't get me wrong I like the show for the campy/retarded quality of it and the fact it isn't formulated tv show#01289321

pic related is a good show based off some great books.
>>
>>84220409
so it's literally going to become "CW tier" non-stop relationshit drama isn't it
>>
>>84220409
Shits all over the militaryesque hierarchy of Trek
>>
>>84221383
nice job moving the goal post faggot.
>>
>>84222599
Sorry but if you can't score a goal it's because you are shit and not because the goalpoast moved.
>>
>>84220618
Especially since it was just the same "conflict" every movie of relationship drama that we don't really know the extent of.

I don't want shitty drama, this just sounds like they're making a generic sci fi show. They're going to fuck it up and add religion too, aren't the?
>>
Don't get tricked into thinking this show will be anything like Deep Space Nine. This will be the most generic Cultural Marxist sci-fi show ever.

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1498257788854.webm
>>
>>84222222
>>
File: 451103236233.jpg (2KB, 118x126px) Image search: [Google]
451103236233.jpg
2KB, 118x126px
>>84220409

Fuck off this is nothing new. Or else they're just going to make this Game of Thrones in space which would be fucking, awful.
>>
>>84222226

It's looking like it.

They need to find an audience stupid enough to pay for CBS all access.
>>
>girl dindu captain
>>
>>84224866

The captains we know of so far are some dude and then the Asian chick from Babylon AD. Dindu is a first officer that's apparently the focus of the show. This didn't work for Pitch granted that was an unrealistic hamfist job of pretending that a 5'4 woman could pitch in the major leagues since she had a magic pitch or some retarded nonsense. That could not have carried the show for more than a season and I don't understand why they thought otherwise.
>>
>>84220409
Do they not know that this "rule" hasn't existed since early-TNG?
>>
>>84220889
Ironic how the normie sjws who watch this won't know who the first female captain was.
>>
>>84220409
Not clicking the link, but is this article real? They threw that shit out while the old fucker's corpse was still warm.
>>
>>84220409
that's something that was dropped when roddenberry died.
>>
>>84220409
i fairly certain they ditched this rule the second he died, no news there
>>
I told you so, faggot "triggered" memeusing anon, we can judge all we want from this shitty press release crap and leaks.

Enjoy your JJ trek.
>>
File: 000259035hr.jpg (1MB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
000259035hr.jpg
1MB, 2700x1800px
that is not a transporter room. those are not Starfleet uniforms.

what is this, Mass Effect: The Series?
>>
>>84221120
That's Into Darkness.
>>
>>84221120
Into Darkness overall is much worse, Beyond is ok for the first 2/3's of the movie the problem is the last act where somehow rock songs blasted into space destroys drones
>>
>>84226429
>>84226082
Into Darkness was truly the worst of the three, followed by the third. The first was shitty too but just not as shitty as the second one or as bland and silly as the third. Into Darkness proved Jar Jar was a shit director, if Super eight hadn't proven that already, And the shit awakens was a huge pile of king kong shit.
>>
>>84226429
the only people who like into darkness are normies
more trekkies overall say they prefer beyond, even with the dumb ending
>>
>>84226082
>>84226429
>>84226626
I only saw Beyond once, I've seen ID twice and I'd have said it was slightly better. I'll need to rewatch Beyond, I guess.

Mind you, I think ST09 is at least the third best Trek movie yet made, TVH and TWoK are its only competition, so I'm probably not too representative of the /tv/ vibe.
>>
As long as there are interracial breeding grounds with BKB (Big Klingon Bulls) I'll be fine with this series.
>>
>>84226641
Beyond had to have a fag, had to have a weak third act and had to have a convoluted double cross. It all felt, convoluted. Into Darkness suffered from ADHD. Jar Jar wanted to cool things without any pesky world building that comes along with it. Hadn't seen a movie that weak since Super 8; Super eight was a disjointed mess as was Into Darkness.
>>
>>84223757
>They're going to fuck it up and add religion too
nigga DS9 was full of this shit: rembember the autismo of the bajorans ?

On a side note I'm just infuriated that they went for the prequel while there was so much stuff to explore with the end of DS9 and Voyager. But no they had to go for a prequel (because that worked out so well for enterprise, right?). but who asked for this kind of shit ? Why can't they do something original for once in their life? Who are the scammers that took over this fucking industry and why are they given the means to hurt everyone's memories with shitty rehash, bland prequels and endless adaptations that go out of their way to fuck up with the fans because they now we will turn out anyway as the mindless sheeps we are ?
>>
>>84220506
The plan is to make it not star trek but look like star trek.
>>
>>84226626
Into Darkness and the force awakens showed me that if you are good with Steven Spielberg you can have a career no matter how shit you are same with Shia Lashithead.
>>
>>84226862
DS9 was based though. The only people who had a problem with it are the same assholes who hated Purgatory in Lost, and "God" in BattleStar Galactica. Atheist are super cunts. They're like mudslimes only edgier. Book of Eli was a great movie, "Wait, he can because of What? Oh No, I hate this movie." That's why I say Fuck Atheist. I hate them more than mudslimes. Sisko being what he was by Epilogue of the series was the greatest reveal of all time.
>>
>>84227118
I liked the plot of the book of Eli but the movie was pretty bad.
>>
>>84227100
And Jar Jar openly admits he's a shit creator. He said he just copies other people's work. Sure, Jar Jar can be a technical director. He knows how to shoot scenes and so on. Coherent story telling is where it all falls apart. Just look at Super 8. We're supposed to feel sympathy for the big fucking dinosaur alien. And say, "Oh, the bad men hurt it so what it's doing isn't at all its fault." But if you remember when this shit touches you it takes a part of you into it, and it puts a part of it, into you. So by touch alone it could tell if you're a good person or bad. So why in the fuck is it eating people regardless of if they're good or bad? The Professor derails a train with a truck and we're supposed to believe he did so on his own voleance when we saw that the alien influences you because it puts itself into you. Just look at Elle Fanning. Dumb girl almost got eaten and while they're freeing her, "It's not its fault, it just wants to go home." And we're supposed to sympathize with this fucking thing? The scene under the sepulcher cuts to the alien dinosaur eating some poor woman's leg. In fact the freed house wife and the sheriff both gets recaptured and eaten. Fucking thing at the end of the film decides it has to have the kids locket, the locket that belonged to his moms. The locket that had his baby picture and her in it. And Jar Jar actually thought this scene would have been existential or something? The stinking evil dinosaur alien after raping, murdering and stealing everything from these people won't leave until he steals this poor kid's moms locket. What a stupid movie. It's as if J.J. Saw Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T. and Jurassic Park and tried to smash all of them into one fucking movie. What an awful filmmaker he is.
>>
>>84227173
It felt off a bit by the time the third act happens but a lot of people complained about who it was Eli was in Cahoots with and that pissed me off.
>>
>>84227118
>DS9 was based though. The only people who had a problem with it are the same assholes who hated Purgatory in Lost

But I love DS9 and really despised everything Lost did after S2. So where is your God now?
>>
>>84225650

What we want as fans is a complete return to form with all the bells and whistles that modern cinema has accumulated over the years since the last series. They're already on very thin ice because they won't release it to netflix in the US and nobody wants all access.

CBS is very much like the Japanese treat their market in that all CBS gives a fuck about is their US numbers. If it fails here, it fails outright.
>>
>>84221486
Quark wasn't a member of Starfleet.
>>
>>84221383
This is true of just about every procedural of the era, though. Like, I'm sure there are exceptions, but offhand I can't think of one.
>>
So most of the screen time will be taken up by humans in cheap sets fighting over who got the last Andorian Pudding Cup in the mess hall?
>>
>>84227463
lost was awesome though.
>>
>>84225781

Yes.
>>
>>84227617

Makeup artists are very expensive and they've decided to make the alien makeup more complicated than ever. So, time to develop the show around that and make excuses.
>>
>>84226678
Naw, most of TV will admit that ST:09 is one of the better movies in the Trek pantheon. Now, in a pantheon that includes The Final Frontier, Generations, AND Nemesis, that's not saying a WHOLE lot, but still.

I'd actually argue that so much of the hatred leveled at Into Darkness is exactly because 09 got so many fans collective hopes up before dashing them on the rocks of JJ's mediocrity.
>>
>>84228231

First Contact isn't actually very good but it is the fucking TITS if you're a fan of TNG.

>Picard is acting like a lunatic waaaahhh

If you actually bothered to watch the episode he spent with his brother's family in France you would know why.
>>
>>84228278
>First Contact isn't actually very good but it is the fucking TITS if you're a fan of TNG.

This. Such a shame it's the only decent TNG-era movie. They had some fucking outstanding possibilities and a good to great cast. Maybe it was just a problem of timing. Like if there was a show now as big as TNG was in its day, where the show ended not because of low ratings but creative exhaustion, and they decided to do some movies, I think they'd probably join them up more. They might go for a trilogy. How fucking awesome would it have been to see a trilogy of TNG-era movies with a unified plot moving towards an organic climax?
>>
File: Anthony Rapp-Lt. Stamets.jpg (47KB, 480x372px) Image search: [Google]
Anthony Rapp-Lt. Stamets.jpg
47KB, 480x372px
>>84220858
>Dont forget that the captain is a fucking white male

The only White male on STD will a gay guy (seriously).
>>
>>84228231
Star Trek the motion Picture>>>>Undiscovered Country>>>>Wrath of Khan>>>>Search For Spock>>>final frontier>>>>Voyage Home>>>Generations>>>First Contact>>>Nemesis>>>ST09>>>Insurrection
>>
>>84220409
They're going to have an asshole white male character who constantly berates minority characters and then gets upstaged by them. It's libshit tv writer 101 which is what this show is going for.
>>
>>84227284
I actually thought that the tone, cinematography, and general vibe of Super 8 was actually pretty fantastic, it's just that JJ is like George Lucas on steroids, where he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the writing team or a screenplay.

Every single stinker of a movie that he's made, sucked because of the writing, not because of any inability on his part to actually shoot and edit a scene well. STID could have been fantastic with a different/tweaked story, just as TFA could have been an amazing movie of it weren't for JJ's AWFUL screenplay decisions.
>>
>>84228496
>>84228278
First Contact was a missed opportunity to have a DS9/TNG crossover film which would have been amazing if done right.
>>
>>84228278
>And then they unceremoniously kill off his family in Generations, off screen, and in such a way that it has zero effect whatsoever on the progression of the plot.

God, the TNG movies were like a steaming pile of wasted potential.
>>
>>84220409
trailer for this show is amazing cant wait to see it
>>
>>84228527
>Where Nomad Has Gone Before at number 1

Ugh. You guys are the worst.
>>
>>84228556
That's the thing, J.J. is a technical Director. And Lucas got lazy when he got older. He still tried to tell a believable coherent story, albeit poorly. The prequels were lazily told and shot and acted but they told a coherent story. J.J. is a superbly proficient technical director but he's a shit story teller. Into Darkness should have nothing to do with Khan or if it had it should have been told from Khan's point of view or anyone's view that wasn't the heroes view. And TFA was a gosh awful film that should have never gotten made. Rey could have been Han and Leia's daughter from the get go which would have played well with her going after and ultimately defeating her brother. Snoke should have been in the movie from the get go instead of being a hologram. And if they wanted to play it the way they did then have Luke controlling Rey via remote. I would have totally believed Luke influencing Rey with Dreams and visions, leading her to him. The empire should have stayed gone and a smaller more dangerous faction of guerrillas causing mayhem and problems. Instead we got the shit we got.
>>
>>84228527
Khan edges VI for me, only because Khan was paced better. But yeah, V is pretty underrated IMHO, while IV is overrated, and all of the TOS movies curb-stomp the TNG movies.
>>
>>84228716
Listen young one, some of us appreciates the slow burn that is, the motion picture. Go watch that snappy jar jar jew version if you're impatient.
>>
>>84228729
Khan was great but there's something hopeful about the undiscovered country. And after so many of them died watching Undiscovered country became even more special. Khan's too depressing especially after Nimoy's death.
>>
Star Trek died with Voyagers incarnation. Everything else is spin off tier garbage.
>>
O'brian and Bashir seemed to always talk shit to eachother, but yeah now that you mention it Major, Quark, and Odo werent starfleet
>>
>>84228720
STID should have been the Gary Mitchell storyline instead of Khan, but otherwise more or less the same movie. Begin with a flashback retconning Mitchell as Kirk's best friend/stand-in older brother growing up, have him going off to Starfleet be a dramatic parting of the two, and have his sudden death while on an away mission be the reason why Kirk was drinking so heavily when Pike found him in 2009.

Flash forward, where the fact that his best friend wasn't killed, but was augmented with godlike abilities by Section 13 be the huge twist. Now, Kirk is Kaneda, where he has no faith in Starfleet, because they experimented on his friend and turned him into an evil monster, and he has nobody to turn to, because Mitchell kills Pike and RoboCop and mortally wounds Spock or something when he BTFO's the Enterprise. With nothing left to live for, a thoroughly broken Kirk must find the motivation to claw his way out of the darkness around him and muster up the courage to kill his once-friend and save a Starfleet he now has no faith in.

BOOM! Star Trek Into Darkness lives up a to its name, and TWOK is no longer the greatest Trek film of them all.
>>
>>84228754
That response was meant for someone who called it The Slow Motion Picture. I was calling it a rehash of a TOS episode you haven't seen and can't name without google. Young one.
>>
>>84228857
I get that. TWOK is just about the only movie that can actually make me cry. The downer ending never gets less bleak.
>>
>>84228754
All you need to do to understand TMP was realize that it was intentionally meant by Roddenberry to be the ANTI-Star Wars, and clearly re-establish what sci fi should strive for at a time when a certain other franchise had just literally exploded onto the scene as the NEW post-Jaws premier sci fi property on American pop culture landscape.

TMP was meant to evoke Solaris, 2001, and all the other great sci fi films that aspired to more than "that".
>>
>>84229016
No it doesn't. It's too bleak. Even Khan losing his crew was sad because all and all it wasn't their fault. Everyone's a victim in this one. And it's too sad for me so I'm not watching it anymore.
>>
>>84229246
TMP is such a wonderful movie. It's perfect in every way. It's literally City on the edge of tomorrow-tier. Wolf in the fold is another classic Trek that needs a movie edition but thanks to this adhd ridden jar jar post modernism, I doubt that'll ever happen.
>>
>>84229353
Yeah, the part when Khan gets fucked up at the end messed me up as a kid, it think it was because it was the first time when I really felt sorry for the villain.

Rewatching it, there's just this tremendous sense that he went after Kirk looking for some sort of closure, but has only ended up losing everyone and everything else that he cared about. By the end, this proud, charismatic mastermind is now nothing but a broken man with nothing left to live for, trying still to make Kirk feel the same thing because it now is all he has left in the cards.

Shakespeare couldn't have written it better.
>>
File: 3205361709_54.jpg (36KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
3205361709_54.jpg
36KB, 854x480px
>>84229420
It was also a e s t h e t i c AF
>>
>>84229353
>all and all it wasn't their fault

>be genetically-engineered superman
>fall in with extra-charismatic genetically-engineered superman
>take part in global eugenics conflict
>lose
>get froze up and fucked out into space
>thawed out by pretty chill guy
>could just go out and be amazingly productive citizens in this new utopia
>butnaaah, Leader Guy wants to do the same shit that didn't work last time, except with three centuries of tech progression in the opposition's favour
>also he has zero chill and won't even wait until we've all got our bearings, has to fight chill guy and has to fight him now now NOW
>lose
>again
>get marooned on some shitass desert planet
>through sheer fluke, Leader Guy manages to get us off the planet
>wants to hunt down chill guy
>so he can fight him
>again
>OK.jpg
>lose
>yet the fuck again

Yeah, "not their fault". They shoulda grown some fucking balls and Caesar'd that cunt half-way through Space Seed.
>>
>>84220409
They haven't done this since the 80s
>>
>>84229517
It's as if by killing Kirk he was some how avenging the ones they lost in especially his love. In the end he lost every facet of everything. It was as if they never existed. That's heart breaking.

>>84229562
I can't see classical Star Trek without tearing up. It's so tranquil and perfect in every way. The only TNG movie that came close was Generations. And I said close. It wasn't even in the same ball park as the classical movies. Piss on Jar Jar and his aborted attempts.

>>84229564
They should have. But then we have people who followed Hitler and then we have people who followed the Jim Jones and those who were heavens gate and those of the Davidian cult. People are people, what can I say.
>>
>>84221421
don't ever try to make sense of anything in a JJ Abrams movie
>>
How much would the Star Trek IP cost to buy in toto?
>>
>>84220858
I hate it when a whole race or gender is shown to be inept
>>
>>84220409
>No significant conflict between crew
>Bones and Spock spend TOS constantly butting heads with one-another.
>Kirk constantly at odds with Starfleet and their representatives.
>Has had bareknuckle fistfights with multiple members of his bridge crew.

Do these people even know the fucking universe they're working with? Have any of these retards ever actually taken an hour or two to actually watch Star Trek?
>>
>>84220409
Harberts
Berg
Roddenberry
Berman
>>
How much would it cost to buy the Star Trek IP in totalis?
>>
>>84231725
That's why they're to be hated.
>>
>>84221383
Riker/Troi/Worf?
>>
>>84231552

Disney paid $4.1 billion for SW at its low point.
>>
>>84231725
Ignore the article, it's garbage written by people who know nothing of the subject and don't care that they know nothing. But there's a grain of truth. The 'no conflict' thing was some shit Roddenberry pulled exclusively on the early seasons of TNG. Like, he wanted the characters to not grieve when their loved ones died. He wanted society to have evolved past grief. Which, like, in a future projection sense, you can maybe be like, OK, dream that dream, man. But you can't make a TV show out of it.
>>
>>84231812
Hm, the prequels were still money machines even if their quality is in question. Revenge of the Sith made ~$848M off ~$113M budget while Star Trek Beyond only made ~$343M off ~$185M budget.

Do you think I could grab the Star Trek IP for around $500M? It seems fair to me but idk if CBS would sell it.
>>
>>84231764
bout three point five billy
>>
>>84220409
Yasssss Queen Slay!
>>
>>84227118
>Sisko being what he was by Epilogue of the series was the greatest reveal of all time.

Pardon?
>>
>>84228948
Holy shit I would watch the hell out of this
>>
>>84231956
Yikes. Is that for TV and movie Star Trek as well as games novels toys and all other rights in ultimo totalissimo? Seems a little steep even so.

If Discovery fails do you think I could buy it all for $600M?
>>
>Another discriminated against half breed vulcan babby story because real life humans involved in trek are eternally buttblasted at spocks vulcan superiority.
>>
>>84231951

It's not the movies. It's the merchandise.

Star Wars has made about $17 billion off mechandise alone. Trek about $3.5 billion. There's far more money in it than box office.
>>
>>84232051
She's fully human, you dumb tourist.
>>
>>84232162
im not talking about the monkey.
>>
CNBC put the value of Trek IP about $4 billion decade ago, mostly based off licencing and mechandise.
>>
>>84232085
What percentage of the non-box office includes blurays and rights distribution to various services? Starwars doesn't sell $17B in toys and video games every year, does it??

What can I even get with $700M?
>>
>>84232203

That's $17 billion lifetime mech.
>>
>>84232051
>vulcan superiority

The manifest superiority of Vulcans is what drives my conviction that Romulans have never been done right outside Balance of Terror. Romulans should be like punk-rock Vulcans, they should show up at your birthday party, win the chess tournament while skulling neat vodka and leave with your girlfriend. But they're always these fussy bureaucrats. They're meant to be the divergence from Vulcans from before Vulcans adopted logic So why are they always these desk-jockey schemers? That's not what drove Vulcans to turn to logic! It makes no fucking sense!
>>
>>84232203
>What can I even get with $700M?

Gilmore Girls.
>>
>>84232264
Vulcans were fussy nerds even before they adopted logic. The brutal wars they fought were just politicized "REEEEEEEEE" that occurred when some corporate or national interest sperged out over regulatory minutiae.

Though a Vulcan offshoot that went full Chad with their superior physical and mental powers has potential and I wouldn't mind if they took the Romulans in that direction
>>
>>84220540

>Roddenberry has been dead for 15 years

You mean 26 years...
>>
>>84220409
Making the regular characters fight, is soap opera level lazy writing. Every episode is just the same old fight, over and over and over.
>>
>>84232435
I had the impression Vulcans were basically savages before Surak (it was Surak, right?) though admittedly I don't really know why I think that.

>Though a Vulcan offshoot that went full Chad with their superior physical and mental powers has potential and I wouldn't mind if they took the Romulans in that direction

Right? Imagine 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game' only instead of being infuriated at the hew-mons' solidarity in defeat, the Chadulan commander gets a 2-minute monologue about how he and his crew have all that ANYWAY, and they ALSO piss all over Sisko and co. at EVERYTHING. And then he crushes Sisko's baseball to dust in one fist before strolling out laughing.
>>
Any word on whether the Muslim crew member, prayer room, etc, was true yet? Or have they stayed silent on that?
>>
>>84220409
Way to shit on Gene's legacy, douche bags. Like, go desecrate another franchise if you're out of ideas.

If you can't honor the creator, you have no business writing shows in his universe. That's fucking shitty.
>>
>>84232978
Still nothing, just /pol/ propaganda.
>>
>>84233067

I sure hope that's all it was, Islam is the opposite of what Trek is about.
>>
>>84233113
Believing whatever /pol/ tells you is the opposite of what Star Trek is about.
>>
>>84233200
Star Trek is about whatever is trendy at the time. Always has been, always will be.
>>
>>84233048
TOS had none of this nonsense. It was only after fifteen years of drugs and pseudo-enlightened """""""philosophy""""""" that Roddenberry started spewing that crap out. It had nothing to do with his original concept of Trek ("Wagon Train to the stars") and it made no sense either artistically or commercially. I've been a Trek fan for 25 years and I'm here to tell you, Roddenberry did exactly two good things for Star Trek. The first was creating it, and the second was dying. Just about every other idea he ever had was a warm bucket of horse piss.
>>
Is it possible that the name "Discovery" refers to the process of this show in respect to the remaining audience? Like just finding out the limits of what you can do to attract more audience without letting go even more audience?
>>
>>84225781
They got the phasers right.

THEY GOT THE PHASERS RIGHT.
>>
>>84228901
Star Trek died when Berman cribbed the premise of Babylon 5 and made DS9, which turned out inferior to Babylon 5 in every way except in cost-per-episode.
>>
>>84220536
>good rule stops it from becoming a soapie

this. i hate it when they're turning sci-fi into fucking soap operas just so they can get more obese women and obese bald campgayfags to watch the show.
>>
>>84220482
The vast bulk of stories on the shows come from sources external to the regular cast, from outside the ship. When you write regular cast into the source of conflict, you repeat the same conflicts unendingly.
>>
Bones was a real cunt to Spock and it was great.
>>
There was always conflict in Trek, even when Roddenberry was showrunner, but the point of the "roddenberry box" was to stop the show from becoming a bitch drama where people were stabbing eachother in the back and shit.

The point was, in the future, we've moved past Capitalism, greed is no longer a motive since everyone lives in automated luxury communism, there is no poverty and people have moved on from being petty, power hungry cunts.
The crew of a Starship are professionals and they are Comrades who treat eachother like close family.

Now writers, go write, use Star Trek to show the best of what humanity could be.

Compare Star Trek to Battlestar Galactica. One has always been optimistic with likable characters and Battlestar is grungy and depressing as fuck with only like 2 likeable people in the entire fucking show.

Star Trek is UTOPIAN science fiction. 99% of shit out there is dystopian, I don't want depressing fucking drama sci-fi because I can just watch the Expanse or any other sci-fi show to get it.
>>
>>84235483
2 bad ds9 was tha best star trek
>>
>>84235507
And DS9 didn't have crew backstabbing eachother and being complete cunts except for when Odo's loyalties are split between the Changlings and DS9 and it's used to create a stronger bond between the main cast.

I mean, you also had Quark, but it was played for comedy.

Again, the Roddenberry rule had conflict between characters, but it was never, ever absolutely petty bullshit, power plays or anything like that.
>>
>>84235616
not sure why ur imagining that DIS will be the worst possible bullshit you can think of instead of just normal star trek with the rod's rules off just like every other trek episode produced after he died
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.