[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there so much hate on Aliens?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: fd.jpg (444KB, 999x1500px) Image search: [Google]
fd.jpg
444KB, 999x1500px
Why is there so much hate on Aliens?
>>
because Cameron ruined the alien
- dood bugs/roaches
- lets make it hive like structure and take out egg morphing
- dumber aliens, less humanoid
- le 80s action craze (even tho i like this in other movies)
>>
>>84215824

4chan is populated by naturally contrarian people.

In addition to this, it is common for the subsequent generation to pick and choose things from the previous generation that it dislikes, in an effort to establish an individual identity. This, in a contrarian's case, sometimes in spite of a given work's obvious quality (or lack thereof).

This is the reason why /mu/ users regularly claim to hate the Beatles, and it's the reason why /tv/ users regularly claim to hate Aliens, or, say, "rehabilitate" the Star Wars prequels (having the misfortune to have been raised with the latter is part of what's going on as well).
>>
>>84215905
>>84215987
wow thanks for making me realize I didn't actually hate it, despite what I though all this time, and I'm just a contrarian!!!! very nice!!
>>
>>84215824
post the comic showing the aliens breeding humans
>>
>>84215905
>4chan is populated by naturally contrarian people.
God damn right. Every board ever.
>>
>>84215824
Nobody actually hates Aliens except contrarian neckbeards
>>
File: 233234547.jpg (249KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
233234547.jpg
249KB, 720x1080px
>>84215889
> dood bugs/roaches
“I wanted the Alien to be insect-like. Like an ant. Because if you examine an ant under a microscope they’re kind of elegant, and I wanted him to be very elegant and dangerous.” - Ridley Scott

> lets make it hive like structure and take out egg morphing
Giger held a very high opinion of the Queen and said he would have gone in a similar direction.

> dumber aliens, less humanoid
The aliens outnumbered the marines and focused on swarming them. Makes perfect sense. And it was working for the most part. The xenomorph wasn't invincible in the original movie. It just had the advantage of fighting ill-equipped in dark, tight spaces.

> le 80s action craze
The writer for Alien said Cameron's film was the only direction you could have taken the franchise and that it should have been the last movie. He liked it by the way.
>>
Took to much away from the first Alien and every Alien after. Rape the series.
>>
>>84215824
Because it's a normie, family friendly, feel-good action flick. Also a sequel to a horror classic. It's very easy to despise it on premise alone, despite how well it was made etc.

Alien 3 is the one that is pointlessly shat upon all the time though.
>>
>>84216328
So...pretty much all of /tv/.
>>
>>84216557
Alien 3 was good until it became a scooby doo alien hunt where the characters ran around for an hour.
>>
>>84215889
>because Cameron ruined the alien

Right. Thank god Ridley Scott was able to come back and show the alien for what it's supposed to be, convoluted bullshit wrapped in pseudo philosophical nonsense. Things are so much better now.
>>
File: 205[1].jpg (30KB, 542x616px) Image search: [Google]
205[1].jpg
30KB, 542x616px
>>84216294
That sounds pretty hot, actually.
>>
>>84216779
It's what he always wanted to do. Right after Alien he said if he were in charge of the sequel he would explore the space jockey and derelict. Fox didn't even give him the option to direct what was at the time called Alien 2. Instead James Cameron was picked due to his work on Terminator. Cameron wrote, named, and directed Aliens.
>>
>>84216723
Yeah, that part sucked but it was only the last 15 mins before the ending, and ending was good.
>>
>>84215889
you can still have eggmorphing just made it a resource of when there's only one alien
also it was ridley that took it out

you know that the first idea was that the eggs were already there inside a pyramid in wich the derelict ship just crashed?
the ideas behind alien changed a lot
>>
>>84215824
It's a great movie. The people who hate themselves and don't go outside need to be contrarian and hate everything they think "normies" like.

Even though 4chan is almost completely normies now.
>>
>>84216598
yeah everyone is a contrarian except for you. and you don't see the irony in this.
>>
>corny, out-of-place jokes
>literally, LITERALLY just an action movie set in space
>the shift in tone from the original was too big
>plotholes and far-fetched script
>xenos are just expendable bugs now
>we're supposed to believe a little girl's been successfully hiding from the monsters for a month
>meme final battle
>>
>>84219834
I don't get what you guys want. Just a rehash of the first one?
>>
>>84219887
>>84219900
i gave my reasons, you can't give yours, and can't deal with the fact this piece of shit franchise only produced one good movie and it was 38 fucking years ago, it's literally the capeshit of sci-fi.
>>
Besides what others have said, I don't like the Queen.

She looks like shit. Too cluttered and overdesigned.
>>
>>84219953
I understand your reasons. I'm just asking what you would have rather seen for a sequel.
>>
I don't hate it, but Ridley just holding ladder while huge monster queen grabbing her being suckin up by space is capeshit-tier stupidness
>>
>>84215824

Because I saw the franchise decades late. So the 'corrupt mega corp gets people killed' angle didn't do much for me. Ripley was an idiot (stay on the ship, or don't go), didn't leave someone on the ship, marines 'had seen bug action' but then were completely useless and stupid (not professional soldiers), Ripley had a 5 minute lesson on guns then became the terminator, didn't shoot the queen because plot.

I'd seen all this before, and am never impressed with the formula. It looked great, but the underlying story is just too stupid.
>>
>>84221027
The state of the military in the 80's and 70's was similar. people that didn't want to be there and were no semblance of professionalism. It wasnt that far fetched back then and there wasn't a generation of call of duty kids that glorify and think the marines are some elite special force.

The attitudes and actions reflected the attitude and action of that time.

Moron.
>>
>>84220575
>what you would have rather seen for a sequel

can't really think of a story I wanted, i just wanted a similar tone and pacing, not the same but simply - similar
>>
>>84216343
/Thread
>>
I understand that it was the only possible route for the franchise and that we probably didn't need another one like the first because it had already been done, but I still personally don't like it but can appreciate it for what it is
>>
Aliens is by far the best movie of the franchise.
>>
The entire shot where the marines grab all their gear from the armory is pure kino.
>>
>>84223025

Alien 3 was the same thing as the original only worse.
>>
>>84222579

Not exactly an explanation that will sway me to think it's good. Shit soldiers sent to do a job of that caliber is simply stupidity (and for the company probably the point to make it fail), but as a movie viewer it's just pathetic trite. Your countries drafting was hilarious, thinking that forcing inept people into a situation that like will produce acceptable results.
>>
>>84215824
The original alien is presented as a lovecraftian story where mankind has populated the stars. They are presented with a gifer shop thats ib stark contrast to the tech shown to beused by humanity. By unfortunate circumstance they find a single alien that is a the antihesis of human life down to its blood which would melt flesh. This being kills not for food but just because, they dont really know why it does it they just hope to survive it long enough to make it out alive. Its presented as the title suggests, something completely aloen to the human mind.

Aliens presents the xenomorphs as bug like creatures who capture humans so that their queen can use them to use them as incubators. Theyre mindless drones to be mowed down by turret fire and sphess mehrenes instead of this utterly alien force that we dont understand.

Aliens is a great and influential movie but itterly ruined the lovecraftia tone set by dan o'bannon. Thats why some people are upset with it. Still in my top ten scifi despite this.
>>
>>84224571
>Theyre mindless drones to be mowed down by turret fire and sphess mehrenes instead of this utterly alien force that we dont understand.

"A careful analysis of both films would show that the adult warrior (my term for the single adult seen in ALIEN) has the same physical powers and capabilities in ALIENS as it did previously. Since the Nostromo crew were unarmed, with the exception of flamethrowers (which we never see actually used against the creature), the relative threat was much greater than it would be to an armed squad of state-of-the- art Marines. One, crazed man with a knife can be the most terrifying thing you can imagine, if you happen to be unarmed and locked in a house alone with him. If you're with 10 armed police officers, it's a different story." - James Cameron
>>
It appears Cameron doesn't think too highly of the direction Scott is taking the series:

> "The franchise has kind of wandered all over the map. Ridley (Scott) did the first film, and he inspired an entire generation of filmmakers and science-fiction fans with that one movie and there have been so many films that stylistically have derived from it, including my own Aliens, which was the legitimate sequel and, I think, the proper heir to his film.

> It's like, okay, we've got it, we've got the whole Freudian biomechanoid meme. I've seen it in 100 horror films since. I think both of those films stand at a certain point in time, as a reference point. But is there any validity to doing another one now? I don't know. Maybe. Let's see, jury's out. Let's see what Ridley comes up with."
>>
>>84220069
Giger liked the queen, he said she looked like something he would have made
>>
>>84226797
You talk with him?
>>
>>84227876
Yes, he was my dad
>>
>>84227957
Well, he was my lover and he says he hate Fox for make his creation just men in suits, he wants a truly beast but he never had what he wanted.

Plus, Cameron just rape his creation without credited.
>>
File: Giger and Badejo.jpg (195KB, 646x939px) Image search: [Google]
Giger and Badejo.jpg
195KB, 646x939px
>>84226797
>>84227876
Giger:
> "It’s all beautifully done, everything, the designs and the way they’re executed. The Alien Queen is also nice. She’s a bit smaller in the face than my Alien, but my basic design was very well studied. She was frighteningly well animated.”

> “The Alien Queen is very complicated, like the way I would have done. I like how she moves.”
>>
>>84228402
>no source

fuck off
>>
>>84215824
What are you talking about? Aliens is one of the most beloved sequels of all time.
>>
It's as if you can't genuinely think a film is trash without being written off as an antisocial contrarian.

Aliens pissed all over the terror of the xenomorph. It became a disposable bug that was destroyed en masse, instead of the classic, lovecraftian threat of rape and body horror that it's famous for. Not to mention that Alien has aged way better than Aliens; you can feel the 'this is a hollywood blockbuster cashgrab' vibes eminating off of Cameron's work.

I appreciate what it did for the whole culture of space marines but I was genuinely cringing the whole time-- especially at that shitty final fight.
>>
>>84229190
>It's as if you can't genuinely think a film is trash without being written off as an antisocial contrarian.

Well prove you're not one anon
>>
>>84215824

It's mostly just dumb millennials trying to sound edgy and Ridleyfags who can't accept the fact that their favorite commercial director has gone senile and is raping the franchise with his shit ideas.
>>
>>84225532
Well it didn't feel that way, so...?
The best defense I see in this thread against criticism is "so-and-so person involved with the making of the movie wanted it this way!!!!". That's a shitty argument. Aliens isn't scary at all.
>>
>>84215824
they are anvil haters
probably they hate terminator 1 and 2
>>
>>84216179
You are not a contrarian, anon.
Just a retard.
>>
>>84228699
Check alienscollection, strange shapes, and avp forums. There's a wealth of background information on Alien and Aliens. Or you could simply copy and paste the quote into Google.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.