[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So exactly what claim did Aragorn have to the throne of Gondor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 293
Thread images: 34

File: 7bc0028c74d348b2aaa87ea807d97b15.jpg (633KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
7bc0028c74d348b2aaa87ea807d97b15.jpg
633KB, 1920x800px
So exactly what claim did Aragorn have to the throne of Gondor?
>>
Faramir would make a billion times better king. Fuck Aragorn and fuck reddit people.
>>
>>84208113
Bloodline.
>>
>>84208113
Medieval whiteys cared more about lineage than ability
>this is still true
>>
Excellent tax policy
>>
>>84208159
Too busy almost being burned alive while Aragorn was on the front lines of Modor. So I Guess that's his right?
>>
>>84208113
Literally better than all other men.
>>
>>84208113
MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
>>
>>84208712
no, he proved his worth when he lead hundreds of men to a suicide mission to please his daddy
>>
I literally cry everytime...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPkVl_aeOM
>>
>>84208159
boromir would make a better leader than either of those 2 cucks

aragorn pretty much spend his whole life being with the elves and chasing elves pussy

faramir is just a beta cuck with daddy issues
>>
>>84208820
>someone who's now dead would be a better leader
>>
>>84208797
>Crowned king
>Starts singing out of nowhere
Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>84208820
Hello, sauron's useful idiot.

>cucks
>cuck

Are you ok? Are you a chicken, or what?
>>
File: gandalf.png (68KB, 1170x378px) Image search: [Google]
gandalf.png
68KB, 1170x378px
>>84208113
Gandalf
>>
>>84208797
>3:25
>>
>>84209007
I love that smug elf so much
>>
>>84208113
Direct descendant of Elendil and Isildur.
>>
>>84209068
And Anarion. one of Anarions decendents married one of isildurs', so he had multiple claims
>>
File: donald-trump.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
donald-trump.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>84208113
Aragorn was some dirty hobo who had no prio political experience
Realistically speaking, he would be as bad as a Trump
>>
>>84208932
>his king doesn't sing elvish songs of power
What kind of a cucked nation is that?
>>
>>84209259
So not at all.
>>
He saved them all by using the ghost army.

The entire city would have been destroyed if he didn't.
>>
>>84208113
He found a loophole in the tax policy that allowed him to take the throne.
>>
>>84209259

He was literally raised by the Elves, that makes him more knowledgeable about everything than any mere human.
>>
>>84208932
>>84209293
It's literally the equivalent of if Trump started singing the Russian national anthem upon being elected
Or the Israeli one
>>
>>84209343

That's not why he was made king you dumb ponce. He was the rightful heir.
>>
I don't know why they crowned Aragorn king. He didn't even have a substantive tax policy to campaign on.
>>
>>84208113
Why didn't aragorn just use the ghosts to defeat the orcs in mordor?
>>
>>84209372
He promised to bring Gondor jobs back to Gondor citizens
>>
>>84208932
It's the Oath of Elendil

From the wiki:
>Translation:
>Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come.
>In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'"
>>
>>84209365
underrated, well done that anon
>>
>>84208797
holy shit, how cringy i hope none of you faggots like any of these films
the cut and paste of the hobbits was just icing on the shit cake
>>
>>84208159
>Beta cunt who couldn't even stand up to Da-Da's tantrums would be a better king than the Dunedain-chad that rode in and wrecked Mordor's shit.

If you say so.
>>
>>84209259
This. But seriously though we can't let Aragorn get the one ring codes.
>>
>>84209467
>cringy
To reddit with you.
>>
File: mmmm.png (47KB, 147x187px) Image search: [Google]
mmmm.png
47KB, 147x187px
a sword with higher stats and a distant ancestor who got cucked by a ring
>>
File: aladdin says go back to reddit.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aladdin says go back to reddit.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
>>84209467
>>
>>84208113
He had a sensible tax policy.
>>
Absolute kino moment, niggas will say otherwise
>>
>>84209646
is there any proof that he is actually related to isildur?
as far as we know he could be some random guys the elves use as a puppet to control gondor
>>
>>84208932
Singing is close to divinity in LOTR, seeing as how the universe was literally sung into creation.
>>
>>84209969
Are you memeing me or is this actually true?
>>
>>84209929
There are stringent checks anon, you can't just fake being royalty. Don't be ridiculous
http://imgur.com/gallery/nYaj0
>>
>>84210055
It is true, read the Silmariliion
>>
>>84210069
So if singing is divine then what about words themselves? Do they hold some sort of power considering Gandalf didn't wish to utter the black speech?
>>
ARAGORN WASN'T EVEN BORN IN MIDDLE-EARTH, HE WAS BORN IN MORDOR. WHERE'S HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE? WAKE UP SHEEPLE
>>
>>84210096
Mordor's in middle-earth you fucking retard
>>
>>84210055
True. The Ainulindale, music of the Ainur it was called.
One of the greatest moments in the Silmarillion was the fight between Sauron and Finrod. Which was basically a rap battle.
>>
File: middleearthlargelargerstill.jpg (1MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
middleearthlargelargerstill.jpg
1MB, 3200x2400px
Can any bookfags tell me what's beyond the borders of ME? The map clearly shows land beyond its borders. Are there any maps which show the total landmass of the world itself?
>>
Can T_Donald shitposters please go? I get your trying to be funny but overuse of cuck and the like is just cringe.
>>
>>84210060
>He become almost obsessed with wanting to masturbate celebrities back in the late 90's when he told me that Nick Nolte allowed him to be pleasured with his feet.

Nice.
>>
File: seen bean.png (342KB, 720x472px) Image search: [Google]
seen bean.png
342KB, 720x472px
>>84210149
>tfw we will never get a Seth Rogen directed story of that battle, depicted as a parody of 8 Mile with lord of the rings aesthetics
>>
>>84210160
I've seen a few which show/showed where the elfs go at the age of men and so on sadly there just wasn't as much information about those areas.
>>
File: Arda_in_Third_Age.jpg (311KB, 1539x1636px) Image search: [Google]
Arda_in_Third_Age.jpg
311KB, 1539x1636px
>>84210160
Most are fan maps, like this. I think it's pretty accurate though.
>>
>>84210160
Not much. To the south there's pirates(who were originally Numenoreans just like Aragon) and darkies. To the east there's a whole lot of uncivilized tribes.
>>
>>84209259
In the real world sure. In Tolkien's fantasy he brings back Andor and slaps the shit out of everyone who helped Saron besiege Minas Tirinth
>>
>>84210312
that's what makes lotr a bit shallow.
It has a great emotional appeal, but when you thing about it logically, things start to fall apart
>>
>>84210229
Stop.
>>84210253
Valinor, the land where the elves go, is actually nor on Arda(earth) at all anymore. Before, when Arda was flat you could sail there, but then the Numenoreans fucked everything up causing Eru(God) to sink their homeland, make the world round and removing Valinor from it.
Only elves can reach it by taking the "straight path".
>>
>>84210392
The same could be said about the Illiad
>>
>>84210494
I wouldn't argue that Iliad is better than lotr.
It's more important historically because it came much much earlier
>>
Why did they have to ruin Boromir in the film, lads?
>>
>>84210811
What did the do to ruin him?
>>
>>84210811
Because the first film would have lacked a specific, move-long antagonist if not for him. It was just for the purpose of making it more palatable for film audiences. I think it sucks but film studios assume that their viewers are morons and in many cases they're proven right.
>>
>>84209365
Instead he sang that song by Linkin Park.

Nice "president" you have there, America.
>>
>>84210865
They already made up that orc captain for that, though
>>
>>84210850
They removed a lot of the depth he has in the books. They sort of made up for this in his increased characterization in the extended edition of Fellowship but in the theatrical version his entire character is just generic-guy-who's-obviously-going-to-take-the-ring-since-he-was-first-introduced.
Book Boromir was much more than that. He was a deeply moral, patriotic and compassionate man whose only flaw was loving his people enough that the ring turned that love against him and tempted him with it. Even then it was very much a spur of the moment thing and not something which had been hinted at the entire book. His folly represents the inherent weakness in men itself whereas in the film, while Sean Bean did a brilliant job of him, he was written as more of a generic not-Aragorn type guy who was pretty much like every other man.
>>
>>84210910
Yes but he was more of a midway villain. What I mean is that Lurtz was only introduced as a character let alone a threat about halfway through the movie whereas Boromir was introduced as an eventual threat from his very first scene.
>>
File: 1213123123.jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1213123123.jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
>>84210985
If you change the B with H and the first r with an m, his name will spell Homomir.
>>
>>84208677
Regardless of this, Aragorn had claim through both bloodline and proving himself a worthy leader.
>>
So, does Frodo end up living forever since he went to Valinor?
>>
>>84208113
Being the least vaguely tied to the direct lineage of Isildur. Also, living for 200+ years lets you understand a few things for the benefit of your population.
Also leaves or some shit.
>>
>>84211147
No, only the elves are immortal, the Valar can not change someone's mortality. Only Eru can, and has only made exceptions for one bloodline. Frodo will die, but in Valinor he can be healed of the lingering effects of the ring and live the rest of his life in peace.
>>84211220
Aragorn was only about 86 by the time of the movies though.
>>
>>84210811
>>84210958

>theatrical cut Boromir is a dick
>Boromir dies like a champ
>seeing him die makes me like him
>now I wish he wouldn't die
>feel terrible watching his death scene
>>
File: wat.jpg (26KB, 317x360px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
26KB, 317x360px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chLZQtCold8

What does this make you feel?
>>
>>84208932
You ever read the book? They start singing for literally anything.
>>
>>84211480
And then Sam starts crying
>>
>>84208820
wrong - Boromir was basically Denethor before he became insane, Boromir was a great noble man but if he saw Sauron's visions in the palantir he would break because of his love for Gondor and her people, Aragorn on the other hand never let doubt to discourage him from fighting despite the odds
Boromir's Parth Galen and Aragorn's decision to hunt for the uruk-hai in order to save Merry and Pippin prove those points, also Aragorn never pussied out in the books and reforged Narsil right away and carried it with pride

>>84208932
singing is of great importance in Middle-Earth and Tolkien lore in general, he sings in an ancient language and it is a hymn of his ancestors who had settled and setup the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor after the fall of Numenor - this more than a good idea, it's a great storytelling usually overlooked by non-Tolkien autists, I'm willing to bet it was Mortensen's idea as well

Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn’ Ambar-metta.

Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come
In this place I will abide, and my heirs,
unto the ending of the world.

the lyrics fit perfectly for the moment of restoration of the great kings of Gondor

>>84209259
his knowledge of Middle Earth in all domains be it political of geographical, social, etc. was probably only outmatched by Gandalf's and the elves due to them living there from thousands of years, yet he did learn from the Dunedain and the elves so he cannot be too far behind them
but yeah, generally speaking you're kind of right, he did not have any prior political experience although he was highly regarded among the Dunedain circle and in Rivendell as well

>>84210055
Ea, the universe, was created through the Music of the Ainur, so that anon is correct, and as I mentioned earlier singing is really important in Tolkien's world
>>
>Bluffendor betrothed to Hermoine
>Figlet kills Greygone
>power vacuum leads to unrest in Tryflid palace
>Krongjon usurps Slymph

case closed
>>
>>84210094
that's probably mostly just Tolkien's imagery, it's been a while since I've read any of the books but I am pretty sure certain words in certain languages have power themselves, although I would imagine that power has to come from within the speaker - Gandalf uttering the black speech would be very much different to Boromir, Gimli or Aragorn speaking it

>>84210160
other anons expained it but yes, they're mostly wild lands and Sauron's underlings, south is full of black Numenoreans (not to be mistaken with niggers) who were sort of like an evil counterpart of the Dunedain as they were corrupted by Sauron; The Mouth of Sauron is one of them
also, actual niggers
and more to the northeast there's those uncharted lands where the two blue wizards went and stopped Sauron's influence from expanding there, but unfortunately none of it is fleshed out enough to be worth a proper mention

>>84211147
actually, I'm not sure and might be making this up but Frodo might be immortal once in Valinor, cannot find the source for that info though so take the other's anon answer as the most valid
one thing is certain, all of the ringbearers (alive ones) were granted permission to sail to Valinor
>>
>>84211657
IIRC I don't know where I read it but Frodo wasn't given immortality in the undying lands he was simply able to find peace there until such time as his mortal life ended.
>>
How long do Hobbits tend to live? The same, or longer than Men?
>>
File: aragorn.jpg (96KB, 506x506px) Image search: [Google]
aragorn.jpg
96KB, 506x506px
>Eomer refuses to swear fealty to me, says he is a king and is therefore my equal
>immediately begin my reign by declaring war on Rohan
>raise taxes to fund an army
>first army I send gets routed immediately
>crucify my disgraced general, raise taxes even higher to build a second army
>second army gets routed immediately
>throw a fit when Faramir tells me we can't raise taxes any higher
>send missives out to all of the nobles of the realm
>say that they can do whatever the fuck they want from now on until the end of time if they give me enough money to fund a third army
>peasants all over the realm are clubbed by tax collections and then conscripted for the next invasion
>third army is routed immediately
>Eomer offers to release the soldiers he captured for a ransom
>hand over the last of my treasury to the messenger
>tell him that I would rather pay Eomer to kill all of my piece of shit troops who refused to stand and die like men
>sit on my throne and wait for the inevitable end

This was Aragorn's tax policy.
>>
>>84211782
Around 100 years, although their adulthood begins at 33
>>
>>84211813
even if you just pasted that, it really wasn't worth typing out.
>>
File: 34588945676.jpg (41KB, 550x365px) Image search: [Google]
34588945676.jpg
41KB, 550x365px
"Baggins?! Sure i know a Baggins!"
>>
Why were the elves leaving middle earth
>>
File: riplore.jpg (104KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
riplore.jpg
104KB, 1366x768px
why didnt Aragorn craft his own Ring of Power to fight Sauron?
>>
>>84211906
Fuck that game
>>
>>84211745
Human mortality in Tolkiens works is a gift bestowed upon them by Eru. The gift of Eru. As such, no being other than Eru himself can take it away. During older times, men understood Mortality as the gift it is. They also lived much longer during these times. Back then, when a man felt their life was complete they would just lay down and die of their own accord. Aragorn was the first human in a very long time to do this.
>>
>>84211525
imagine being like this
>>
>>84211782
way longer although the max age of men varied across the ages, hard to compare
I think by the events of Lotr humans lived for around the same amount of years as they have in our middle ages
obviously the Dunedain as well as certain Gondorians wouldn't count as men due to being of Numenorean descent which granted them slightly prolonged lives (not sure if the prolonged life is correct for Gondorians, it is cetainly for the Dunedain but Gondorians were sort of lesser Dunedain and while they possessed greater strength or durability than a simple human they may not have had the long lives of the pure Dunedain)
Bilbo's 111 marked him as fairly old yet he managed to live for much longer than that, but that's because of the ring so it is difficult to come up with an exact comparison
>>
>>84211971
I always enjoy lotr threads and never feel the need to contribute because the discussion is quality in itself, this particular one tickled my autism

I can assure you there are tens of bigger tolkien autists than me on this board itself much less the whole internet, I've only really read the books once, aside from The Hobbit and Children of Hurin
>>
>>84211906
Because Aragorn was a good man and not evil
>>
>>84208113
>So exactly what claim did Aragorn have to the throne of Gondor
He's a direct descendant of both Arvedui, last king of Athedain (one of Arnor, the senior Dunedain kingdom's, splinter kindgoms) and Firiel, the daughter of Gondor's last King from the House of Meneldil.

Thus Aragorn has a right to throne of Gondor through Firiel (whose ancestory goes back to Elendil's youngest son Anarion, and another (greater) claim to the High Kingship of both Dunedain kingdoms through Arvedui, going back to Isildur (Elendil's oldest son).

Long story short, Aragorn is the rightful king of all Dunedain and smelly stewards can go get wrecked
>>
>>84211969
They could just lay down and die? Or did they commit suicide?
>>
Do orcs rape?
>>
>>84211889
The elves are part of the world, their essence is tied to it. Morgoth, Tolkien's version of the devil, poured much of his essence into Ea itself. Corrupting it. Sauron did the same when crafting the One ring, although at a much smaller level. As a result of this, the "magic" of the world fades more and more, and the Elves fade with it. Only Valinor is free of this corruption. hence their exodus.
The elven rings of power sort of countered this effect. Creating sanctuaries like Lorien and Rivendell. this is why Galadriel leaves at the end. The rings have lost their power and so finally Lorien will fade too.
>>
>>84211906
>>84211941

How badly that game shits on the lore?
>>
>>84208797
Aryankino.
>>
>>84212071
The former.
>>
>>84208113
hes a big king
>>
>>84212086
well, it's many times worse than the hobbit movies in that aspect so it pretty much fucks its shit up real bad
>>84212072
I don't think Tolkien ever focused on that
half-orcs somehow managed to exist and there were other mixed races so I guess the could reproduce in some ways
would they even care for it? they are never represented with any sex drive, they're twisted and malicious but not in that way
>>
>>84212086
You kill Sauron and Morgoth

It is officially not canon so they are going all out in the sequel

In a QTE
>>
>>84211941
Take it was a what if story and you'll enjoy it.
>>
File: Reunited_Kingdom.jpg (896KB, 2000x1750px) Image search: [Google]
Reunited_Kingdom.jpg
896KB, 2000x1750px
>>84212143
for a big kingdom
>>
>>84211969
Hobbits aren't humans though. I know that they're related to men to a degree but does that mean that they too receive the Gift of Men?
>>
>>84212192
It's just disappointing that they didn't bother to adapt one of the many already existing stories in Tolkiens writing.
>>
>>84212201
How big was Beleriand when compared to the rest of middle earth?
>>
>>84212272
about the same size as the classic middle earth map, a little bigger from memory. The war of wrath sunk some pretty huge tracts of land
>>
>>84212272
Beleriand is pretty much everything west of the misty mountains
>>
Do other boards have LotR threads that are as civil as /tv/?
>>
>>84212181
Isn't it just killing a guy who makes himself appear as Sauron because he's consuming Celebrimbor?
>>
>>84212084
the one ring was destroyed so why did the elves have to leave?
Wouldn't the effect of magic draining stop with the ring being destroyed?
And what about morgoth? Why isn't he in the movie, missed opportunity if you ask me since he sounds cool.
>>
>>84208820
> chasing elves pussy
is there a more noble pursuit?

based aragon is truly /our king/
>>
>>84212214
I'd say so. They are a mortal race after all.
>>
>>84212272
The real question is how big was it compared to Ancalagon the big black guy
>>
>>84211220
>Being the least vaguely tied to the direct lineage of Isildur

Its not even vaguely tied to it, everyone literally knew that he was a direct male line descendant of Elendil.
>>
>>84212369
Read my post. The ring was not corrupting the world, Morgoth already did this in his time. The elven rings of power managed to ward off these effects, but as they were tied to the one ring they were useless after it's destruction.
Morgoth was defeated far before Lotr takes place. Some 6000 years before. He was cast from the world into the void.
>>
>>84210958
>why do movies simplify complex characters and motives

There's a reason why films as an art is viewed lower than books.
>>
>>84212405
God damnit I will not have Ancalagon talk in this thread.
>>
>>84209005
>a gondorian calling him gandalf and not mithrandir

dropped
>>
>>84212488
Oh damn, i guess I need to read the books then
>>
>>84211889
Cowardly pussies.
>>
>>84211889
White flight. You wouldn't want to stay around niggers and mudshits if you had a choice?
>>
>>84212369

No the magic is always draining it just happened faster with Morgoth and Sauron around being evil and whatnot. The elves sense this which is why they leave. They can stay but eventually their bodies would fade away into nothing and they would only exist as spirits that can't be seen or sensed by anyone until the end of time.

Since the latter is awful the elves decide to leave instead and live in Valinor.
>>
>>84212547
This. Totally ruins that greentext.
>>
>>84212547
Where did the Gandalf name come from if his name is actually Mithrandir? How did he get the Mithrandir name, for that matter?
>>
>>84212633
Morgoth only appears in The Silmarillion, the later "children of Hurin" and the recent "Beren and Luthien"
>>
File: why.jpg (43KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
43KB, 600x599px
>>84212692
ok so why does frodo leave aswell
>>
>>84212719
Its the name sindarin gave him because he wore grey clothes and was always on the move. Nigga probably gave several fake identities as he didn't want to tell anyone who he really was and where he was from, and eventually after centuries decided to stick with those given to him by others.
>>
>>84209259
Not gonna lie, former Aragon supporter here. It's been hilarious watching him crash and burn. But in all seriousness we can't let this guy get the Palantir codes.
>>
What was the whole thing with Arwen becoming mortal? She says, "it my choice" when talking to Elron. This part as well as the glowing pendant she gives Aragorn has always confused me. There's a part where the light is fading and he seems concerned for Arwen. She's only half elf, right? So can she choose between being immortal and going to Valinor, or staying and becoming mortal? If she stayed does she eventually "fade away" like >>84212692 says?
>>
File: 1476082261603.jpg (442KB, 1075x823px) Image search: [Google]
1476082261603.jpg
442KB, 1075x823px
>>84212520
You win this time because I can't find my Ancalagon folder.
>>
>>84212723
He is referenced once in the main text of LOTR, but only becaue of the balrog

Meanwhile Varda is mentioned hundreds of times in LOTR and has songs sung about her to the point where she is almost a character
>>
>>84212765
he had PTSD
>>
>>84212719
Mithrandir is just what the Gondorians call him, it means Grey Wanderer/Pilgrim
>>
>>84212765

Because of being the ring bearer, same with Bilbo. Holding onto the ring like they did changed them, it tied it to them and likewise affected them. Which is why Bilbo super ages after giving the ring to Frodo.

Its basically a special exception for them for being ring bearers.
>>
>>84212765
Because Frodo is like the WWI soldiers who came back home with PTSD from the battlefields and never recovered, Frodo leaving middle-earth for Valinor is the equivalent of WWI veterans killing themselves, and he literally says so in that they saved the shire but not for him.
>>
File: hr.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hr.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
So, thanks to this scene we pretty much can infere that Orcs aren't as dumb and uncivilized as we may initially thought. The "back in the menu" seems to hint that Orcs have built bars, pubs, inns etc, where they even have menus
>>
He is the last numenorean royal bloodline.
>>
>>84212819
I think its just a film thing. In the book she is as youthful as ever when aragorn dies, goes back to lorien, lies on the grass, and gives up life in the way only an elf can
>>
>>84212865
Yes, of course, after all, we were Orcs
>>
>>84212865
They have inns which serve orc meat.

Although actually eating orc meat was considered a grave insult between orcs in the books.
>>
>>84212861
ok so why did Sam who is the actual hero of the story not get permission to leave?
I don't think he wants to but come on
>>
>>84212888
Technically he isn't because of Prince Imrahil
>>
>>84212819
Arwen is part of the only half elven bloodline. They were given a choice between mortality and immortality. Of course, like all elven Arwen would eventually fade in middle earth.
>>84212825
Bombadil posting is encouraged though.
>>84212851
Varda is the most important Valar to most elves. Makes sense she would be mentioned a lot.
>>
File: 1401907026475.jpg (479KB, 2456x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1401907026475.jpg
479KB, 2456x1000px
>>84212825
check this one out
pretty big, huh ?
>>
>>84212945
Because he didn't have that bad a PTSD and could live a normal life. It is hinted in the appendix that he did in fact leave in the end.
>>
>>84212892
Elves can not give up life. Arwen could because she chose to be mortal. A choice only her family has.
>>
>>84212987
What does he eat?
>>
>>84212945
he did, he left but only after hitting Rosie's pussy enough times to get bored of it, also he was the mayor of shire like 1488 times
he was all set up in the Middle Earth and had no real reason to leave until he grew bored of being the winner
>>
>>84212971
I think Imrahil and Denethor are both related to the royal line by a female at some point, so this makes it immediately inferior.
>>
>>84213073
>>84213042
alpha
>>
>>84213070
KFC
>>
>>84212819

In the books she chooses to become mortal with Aragorn like 30 years prior to the beginning of the novels and the whole war thing. Partly because way back when her grandmother Luthien was the first elf to ask Mandos(lesser version of Eru) to let elves chose to be mortal or immortal. Since then elves have had the choice but almost none of them ever do it.

She then dies like a day after he dies of a broken heart. The movie just changes the timeframe from 30 years prior to during the movies.
>>
>>84213054
Yes they can, Feanors mother also did it.
>>84213076
Imrahil sister was denethors wife, and he also has elvish blood
>>
>>84213137
>luthien
>elf
>>
>>84212865
Or maybe they just have a choice of eating maggoty bread, rotting meat, or whatever random shit Brug'gzor found in the forest. Thus a menu.
>>
>>84213157
>elvish blood

This was mud elf blood by a silvan elf that got left behind.
>>
>>84213157
Sure, Feanor's mother did, but lets not forget Feanor is a unique circumstance. Besides, she still didn't "die" Arwen did.
>>
>>84213197
>muh noldor
>>
File: 1497836243530.jpg (99KB, 932x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1497836243530.jpg
99KB, 932x1024px
>>84210276
>Harad is Africa
>Rhun is Asia
>Middle Earth is Europe
>Mordor is Israel
>>
>>84213215
Call it what you like, but Arwen was an elf, not a human
>>
>>84212971
Absolut prismogenic succession law?
>>
>>84212906
You type like a goblin
>>
>>84213137
Luthien was not Arwens grandmother she was her great-great grandmother.
You are also wrong on elven mortality, not all elves were given the choice, only one bloodline.
>>
>>84212861
Only in the movie he super ages. In the books he ages brcause a lot of fucking years have passed since we last sae him.
>>
>>84213252
>>Middle Earth is Europe

You do realize that that Harad, Rhun and Mordor ARE in Middle-Earth, right? surely you aren't that dumb?
>>
>>84213076
Aragorn is related to the royal line of Gondor through a female too. It's only the Arnor line that his rocking strick patrilineality.
Plus Aragorn's relation to Elros/Tar-Minyatur (Elrond's twin brother) is female as well.

Of course, it doesn't really matter anyway since Numenorian succession laws were full-cognatic and the Gondorians were just shitlords
>>
>>84213259
A half elf, who chose to be mortal. Only her bloodline was given this choice.
>>
>>84213299
Not him but I thought all half-elves had the choice?
>>
>>84208677
Not really. Aragorn refused to take the crown until he had proven himself. He even refuses to enter the city to see the people in the house of healing because of it. He has to be talked into sneaking into gondor in disguise.
>>
>>84209005
>our king
*steward
>>
>>84213304
Not that many years. From the time Bilbo left after his party to when they sailed from the Grey Havens was under 20 years. He outwardly still appeared to be 50 when he stopped possessing the Ring so the years caught up to him pretty rapidly.
>>
>>84212719
They're all just descriptors, names he goes by. His actual original name is not Mithrandir either (just elvish fror Grey Wanderer), his name is Olorin.
>>
>>84209365
Numenoreans are descended partly from the noldor and teleri.
>>
>>84213341
There really aren't many half elves. Only 3 human/elven pairings are known, and they all fall within the same bloodline.
There is speculation of others, like Imrahil having elven blood, but none of these are confirmed.
>>
>>84213442
>Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.
>>
>>84213479
Only their first king: Elros Tar-Minyartur had any elvish blood in him. Even some Maia through his mother. The rest of Numenor were Edain. Men who fought during the wars of the first age.
>>
>>84213479
>Numenoreans are descended partly from the noldor and teleri.
well the ruling dynasty (and its cadet houses) were
>>
What the fuck was Melkor's problem?
>>
>>84213547
Why did the people in the north call him an elf anyways?

I wonder why Gandalf took the shape of a man when you know, elves are the natural choice him being divine and all.
>>
>>84213304

Bilbo crosses over when he turns 131 years old, becoming the oldest hobbit ever. Since he gave the ring to Frodo after his 111th birthday 20 years pass.
>>
>>84213607
special snowflake syndrome
>>
>>84213607
he just wanted to make his own OC
>>
File: 1493177157946.png (153KB, 267x274px) Image search: [Google]
1493177157946.png
153KB, 267x274px
>current age
>Having a king
Enjoy your no freedoms middle-earthlets
>>
>>84213607

He was the first Ainur and the most powerful outside of Eru but he was pissed that only Eru had the power to create life and stuff. So while seeking to gain that power he corrupted the music of creation which lead to evil coming into the world. He is Tolkiens version of Lucifer.
>>
>>84212719
Gandalf and the other wizards are undercover on middle earth, and none go by their true name. Gandalf has several different names because he travels all over the place being a trouble making freeloader errant wizard.
>>
>>84211906
literally playing it right now, it sucks.
>>
>>84213737
How much info is there about Eru in Silmarillion? He doesn't seem to really care about Melkor and the stuff he does. I just read that he scolds Melkor at some point but after that he kinda disappears.
>>
Is there any writings about how the people worship? I always thought it was hella weird that Tolkien had this enormous creation myth and intricate details about the gods and all but we never see a priest in the kino. Did he just not care?
>>
>>84211558
Lmao like Krongjon would ever do that
>>
>>84208113
Yes, yes very nice, HOWEVER, what was his tax policy?
>>
>>84213737
>he was pissed that only Eru had the power to create life and stuff

Didn't the other Ainur make life and stuff as well?How was this a violation?
>>
>>84214027
It is different for the elves, as a lot of them have been in direct contact with the gods.
I don't even know about humans. I don't think third age humans even know much, if at all, about the Ainur.
>>
File: 1493451828479.jpg (16KB, 369x230px) Image search: [Google]
1493451828479.jpg
16KB, 369x230px
>>84214159
Faramir, move out of my house lmao
>>
>>84214171
None other than Eru can create life. You are thinking about dwarves and ents etc. and while it is true they are thought up by Valar only Eru could give those ideas life.
Melkor, in his attempts to create life only managed to corrupt existing life. That's how we got Orcs and Trolls and Dragons.
>>
>>84214255
Dragons are cool. Fuck Eru and his faggoty Dwarves.
>>
>>84213962

He makes up a lot of the first part of the book, ie the creation of the world, life, etc. He cares about Melkor because he's his father but yeah he kinda chastises him for fucking with the music. However Eru then he shows him and the rest of the Ainur the vision for everything and it shows Melkor that everything he has done to try and impose his will the music and life to try and be better than Eru is in fact all part of his grand plan.

Then the book its about the rest of the Ainur and earth and shit. Eru really doesn't interfer with Melkor after the music and the vision because everything he does is designed that way. Its the rest of the Ainur that spend their time fighting Melkor.
>>
>>84213962
He creates the three themes in the Ainulindalë, the creation myth of middle earth.
He sings a song with the other valar as the chorus. Melkor begins to try his own theme creating discord. Eru smiles and lays out the second theme that creates a harmony with the discord. Melkor tries again and Eru tells him theres nothing he can do that isn't eru's will and lays out the third theme that ties everything together so beautifully and tragically that it makes angels cry.
After the themes are sung eru choses 12 of the strongest spirits, gives them a sliver of his knowledge, and then sends them inside of creation, at the very beginning.
Melkor rebels, and Tulkas comes in to keep the valar at lucky 12.
Once inside creation Manwe, god of the air and wisdom, is the head of the pantheon, guided by his job and Eru's will.
Eru doesn't get directly involved except to break the world to keep the numenoreans from landing on the undying lands.
All of Eru's help is in the subtle twists of fate and luck that befall our heroes and middle earth. Those things are the second and third themes.
And from Eru's perspective, outside of creation, it has all already happened.
>>
>>84212320
I don't think it was bigger than Eriador tbqh.
>>
>>84211480
>Take a bath
>Sing bath song
>Go for a walk
>Sing walking song
>Sing a song
>Sing song singing song
>>
>>84214027
The only times worshipis ever mentioned in the universe it is to melkor.
Elves have personally met the gods, many even hung out with them. Their method of worship was to hone their crafts and live beautiful peaceful lives singing about creation and history.
Men didn't worship anything unless it was morgoth. Probably because tolkien was a devout catholic and didn't want to come off as idolatrous.
Theres also mild implications that Aragorn and his blood line eventually funnels into the messianic bloodline in the bible. The same way arthur is a descendant of the holy bloodline.
>>
>>84208113
What about his tax policy?
>>
Why didn't Sauron put some guards at the entrance of Mount Doom?
>>
File: 1431292194547.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1431292194547.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>84208710
>>84209358
>>84209372
>>84209895
>>84211813
>>84214159
>>84214610
This stopped being funny a long time ago, fucking knock it off. LotR threads are one of the last decent threads in this pigshit board and I refuse to let them get overrun by you pathetic meme-spouting redditors.
>>
>>84214813
Would you waste resources by putting guards next to a volcano?
>>
>>84214845
If that is the one place where the ring can be destroyed, of fucking course. You don't need to set aside that many soldiers, three orcs or a few more would already have stopped Frodo and Sam, that is nothing for Sauron.
>>
>>84214909
Why didn't he just seal the entrance? I don't think there was any use for it anymore.
>>
>>84214823

Are you feeling...taxed?
>>
>>84214300
Aule made the dwarves.
And they're based as fuck. First age dwarves in full armor could laugh off dragon fire. They were peerless craftsmen save for a handful of noldor.
And the war of dwarves and orcs is the reason why middle earth, west of the misty mountains, is orc and goblin free. They got pissed and just started a genocidal war of vengance and retribution from gunderbad to the gates of moria.
I always thought it was a waste that they made the hobbit a trilogy. Should have stuck with making it two movies and then make the third movie about the battle at dale and the lonely mountain during the war of the ring, or some random battle from the dwarf and orc war.
Its all in the appendices so they already have the rights and it justifies a big dumb epic fantasy battle.
>>
>>84214909

Long answer. He didn't expect anyone to ever get that far or even be defeated. Sauron was arrogant in that regard. Secondly he thought the ring was with Aragorn and the race of men had it. Hobbits didn't even register on his radar.

Short answer. Tolkien wrote it that way because he did. He used a writing trope.
>>
>>84215204
That makes sense, I will get to read the books sometime, I'm sure this is much more evident in them.
>>
>>84214909
>>84215204
>>84214813
Sauron literally never considered the possibility that anyone would want to destroy the ring. It's too powerful and useful. He was always worried that an enemy of his was get it and use it against him, especially an heir of Isildur.

And he was kind of right in the end, Frodo couldn't bring himself to destroy it in the end. It took a happy accident/divine intervention/magic curse to destroy the thing.
>>
>>84212945
Sam literally builds a little boat and sails over
>>
>>84211813
Its like a setup for some joke, but the punchline never comes.
>>
>>84212355
You can have a LOTR thread on any board and it's going to be good, I believe it's the only thing the entirety of 4chan likes
>>
>>84215169
They killed my boy Thingol though.
>>
>>84214605
Numenorans worshipped Eru on a festival once a year, in their holy mountain.
>>
File: 1496538990425.png (532KB, 518x584px) Image search: [Google]
1496538990425.png
532KB, 518x584px
>>84214823

Did he accept orc refugees?

#not all orcs
#prey for middle Earth
>>
>>84214813
Did you not notice the impenetrable walls surrounding literal hell on earth as inspired by WWI trench warfare ptsd flashbacks where the atmosphere is literally poisonous, surrounded by an army of actual hellspawn driven by the will of Satan Jr. Who lives in a castle next door to the volcano?
It is well and proper guarded.
Even IF you managed to sneak past nightmare city, spider cave, or the fuckoff huge iron gates with the ring, it would literally not allow itself to be destroyed. Then the ring would be snatched up by sauron himself instantly.
The only thing that made destroying the ring possible is because the oath Gollum swore by the ring. That if he ever tried to hurt frodo, or take the ring, he would cast himself into the fires of mount doom. The ring destroyed itself.
Aragorn marching the army to the gates was a bluff. Through the palantir sauron knew the heir of isildur had returned, and he had the halflings that he thought had the ring. When aragorn showed up on the doorstep with his tiny army sauron empties mordor out because he wants to smash the only possible threat to his plan, the guy with the birthright to kick hisass with the weapon that did the job last time. He figured the only reason aragorn would march to the gates was because he had the one ring and was waiting to use it.
>>
>>84215376
Should have listened to that sexy ass god of kinky buttplay he was married too then. Thingol is muh boi, but he invited that bullshit in after successfully tapdancing around it for so long.
>>
>>84215415
I do wonder what orc society is. On one hand they are savages who eat human flesh, but in some parts of the books, like their marching song, or those two captains discussing nazgul in Cirith Ungol I believe, made them seem something more then murderous beasts only bred for war. Perhaps Tolkien wrote on this in his letters or something?
>>
>>84208113
He had the best tax policy
>>
>>84215764

Tolkien has said that they are not just mindless creatures and that they can make things like weapons and tools they just don't make beautiful or nice things. They are tribal race of twisted evil who hate everyone and everything including themselves. Which is why they in-fight so much without orc leaders.
>>
>>84215764
They had restaurants, so they couldn't have been entirely uncivilized
>>
>>84209365
Nah, it's more like a Euro-mutt PotUS singing a song from the Motherland.
>>
>>84209929
ghosts, son
>>
>>84215899
Was I fooled or did Tolkien mentioned in one of his letter and interviews as to what happened to orcs after Third Age?
>>84215947
I guess, that's why maggoty bread was not enough for their standards.
>>
>>84215764
They're shittiers that only stop slitting each others' throats when there's something else they can cause pain to nearby.
They're clever enough, but only when it comes down to making things that cause pain or destroy.
>>
>>84212987
I'd love to know how many of these are. He gets more and more ridiculously large every time.
>>
File: Asuka517.jpg (8KB, 248x233px) Image search: [Google]
Asuka517.jpg
8KB, 248x233px
>>84213660
>>
>>84213854
>Gandalf has several different names

but Olorin he was in his youth in the West that is forgotten. I think it means "one who dreams (in the sense of experiencing visions) one their own". he spent a great deal of time associating with Nienna the unrelentingly miserable Valar, which was probably as useful a traning as anyone could have for becoming one of the Istari
>>
File: 2-saruman-palantir.jpg (19KB, 175x181px) Image search: [Google]
2-saruman-palantir.jpg
19KB, 175x181px
candid discussion about Tolkien Lore is literally one of my all time favorite things from /tv/

thanks guys
>>
>>84216322
>"one who dreams (in the sense of experiencing visions) one their own"
>one their own
>>
>>84216322
Olorin is a Swedish company specialized in monitors for special application areas such as Marine, Medical and Dental.
>>
>>84216051

Well some orcs escaped the destruction when sauron fell and spread out across middle earth they basically die out. Tolkien didn't really go much into the 4th age. Aside from saying the dwarves retook moria and hate murdered pretty much every orc there.
>>
>Saruman decides to be Saruman of Many Colours
>the films completely leaves this out
Jackson why?
>>
>>84216812
gay
>>
>>84216569
>the dwarves retook moria and hate murdered pretty much every orc there.

Insufferable little shits. Dwarves probably even have the gall to wonder why they're so unpopular.
>>
>>84214823
Let the tax posters do their thing. It just bumps a good thread.
>>
>>84216569
And Sam became the Mayor of the Shire.
>>
>>84208677
Meanwhile niggers never left the iron age with all the kinslaying they did proving their ability.
>>
>>84209259
>>84209259
WRONG

Aragorn was a Gondor successful general for a good amount of time before the war of the ring. Then he left to pursue other things, only to return and become the president.

Imagine Eisenhower, only if he run for president in 1964 or something.
>>
How does Aragorn die?
>>
FUCK ARAGORMPFFFF
FUCK GONDORMPF
AND FUCK MEN

ORCS WILL COME BREED OUT MEN WITH THEIR SUPERIOR BLACK SEED
>>
>>84217724
On Arwens tits while looking like Gandalf the White.
>>
>>84217724
old age, in his bed surrounded by his loving family
>>
>>84217724
Like this >>84211969
>>
>>84208932
>Who thought this was a good idea?

Tolkien. The books are full of singing. Boromir's funeral was an entire chapter of fucking lyrics. Don't even get me started on the singing fag Tom Bombadil.
>>
>>84217846
>Boromir's death
>an entire chapter of lyrics
It was only three pages and Gimli refused to sing an extra verse which pleased Aragorn because the Men of Gondor dislike the East Wind
>>
>>84208772
If you lead men into a suicide mission to cause a diversion or to stall an enemy I could see it.
If you do it out of pure stupidity like Fagomir its just a faggoty way to an hero
>>
>>84217846
I like songs in one older audiobook of lotr, though bombadil was too much.
>>
>>84217846
what kind of hack fills a fucking book with lyrics without any sheet music?
was tolkien just a failed musician or something?
>>
>>84217959
to be fair he was given a direct order by the steward of Gondor, disobeying wasn't just mutiny, it was high treason
>>
>>84217959
It was just the movies being retarded in their portrayal of Denethor, who wasn't meant to be insane, just desperate.
>>
>>84217989
>what kind of hack fills a fucking book with lyrics without any sheet music?
Have you ever heard of this thing called poetry?
>>
>>84218008
he was being played like a god damn fiddle by Sauron though
>>
>>84218058
Not in the movie he was just an asshole.
>>
>>84218052
>confusing poetry with song lyrics
Unless you want to tell me that Tolkien's lyrics actually have any sort of poetic substance, then this is a fucking retarded defense
>>
>>84218093
meant in the book obviously
movie sauron is just a bigass eyeball that has lots of orcs, not the millenia old scheming spirit from the books
>>
>>84218149
Are you mentally deficient?
>>
>>84218169
well i'm still replying to a goddamn moron so clearly
>>
>>84213070
ME dragons don't need food to live IIRC.
>>
>>84218149
Did you know that the Ode to Joy, which just so happens to be one of the most famous musical works in history, was an adaption of Schiller's poetry? Are you so dumb you actually believe the same didn't happen countless times, that poetry wasn't often the basis for musical adaptation?
>>
>>84217887
>only three pages

No way.
>>
>>84218459
>Aragorn sings a verse
>Legolas sings a verse
>they talk about singing and the wind
Definitely not 20 pages
>>
>>84218459
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN1sA3Fpqg
>>
>>84215540

i really liked this post desu
>>
>>84208113
This guy LITERALLY starts singing right after he gets crowned king. Fucking what??
>>
Berserk is better than this baby shit
>>
File: IMG_20160624_083955.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160624_083955.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOyiK2rO1pc

how the fuck did this not make it into the theatrical version? literally one of my favorite scenes
>>
File: IMG_20160630_130226.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160630_130226.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_20160630_131223.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160630_131223.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: seans wifes daughters.jpg (790KB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
seans wifes daughters.jpg
790KB, 1124x1600px
>>84210811
>at sean beans for dinner
>he leaves the room
>one of these slags puts their hand on your thigh
what do?
>>
>>84219062
This t b h. LOTR's characters have no depth especially in comparison to Berserks.
>>
>>84219172
I put my pee pee over their pooper hahaha penis weenis peeeenis weeeeeeeeenis hahaaaa
>>
>>84219172
They should have just used seans biological daughters as sansa and arya
>>
>>84208113
Aragon was the direct descendant of Isildur. Since the throne was never taken by another lineage it was his by right. The only reason it's confusing is because the lineage is very, very long.
>>
>>84219172
How can a handsome man's offspring be so bad?
>>
>>84219471
Suck my fucking dick prick
>>84219500
faggot alert
>>84219556
cause your mom sucks dick homo
>>
>>84219625
>look guys, I'm acting like a 12 year old xDDD
>>
File: sean and slags.jpg (398KB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sean and slags.jpg
398KB, 1124x1600px
>>84219471
Whatever do you mean?
>>
>>84219089
well, the movies were already super long.

is a pretty good scene. lotr trilogy was so good.
>>
File: 1457289337790.png (134KB, 323x241px) Image search: [Google]
1457289337790.png
134KB, 323x241px
>>84208113

>People forgetting he's old as fuck, since he's not fully human and assume he's ''not experienced'' enough to be a good king

he's over 150 years or so old if I remember correctly
>>
>>84219809

oh wait I found hos age

>Direct descendants of the Dúnedain are known to live longer than normal Men. A good example is Aragorn who, in the movies, tells Éowyn he is 87 years old, although he appears to be relatively young. (It is said that Dunedain live three times longer than normal Men; that would translate into 240 to 250 years of average lifespan, given normal human lifespan of 80 years. It is possible with the blood of the Dúnedain renewed by Aragorn and Arwen's marriage that some generations thereafter would experience lifetimes similar to that of the generations following Elros-between 400 and 500 years of life).
>>
>>84219756
You can see in face of Sean he not wnat be there
>>
>>84219756

>tattooed whore

letting women dressing themselves was a huge mistake
>>
>>84209467
Look we know you can only handle harry potter shoo-shoo
>>
>>84208113
...it's hereditary
>>
>>84211092
The reason aragorn is 87 years old during two towers he has the blood of the elder kings and greater men running through him
Thread posts: 293
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.