[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rank Michael Mann's filmography.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: kiki.jpg (270KB, 1920x1272px) Image search: [Google]
kiki.jpg
270KB, 1920x1272px
>>
Excellent: Manhunter
Very Good: Collateral, Miami Vice
Good: Thief
Just Ok: Heat
>>
File: 1491063780218.png (541KB, 800x396px) Image search: [Google]
1491063780218.png
541KB, 800x396px
>>84119782
>>
>>84119782
> not a single capekino to his name
> "filmmaker"
>>
>>84119837
>no last of the mohicans
kys
>>
>>84119904
Yeah, i have not seen that one. Great contribution to the thread though, telling me to kill myself bc of it. Really adds to the discussion.
>>
>>84119837
>Heat in OK-tier
kys
>>
>>84119988
Massively overrated here and in popular culture. It's not that good. The operator stuff is fine, but Deniro and Pacino are on autopilot and neither of their arcs are especially interesting. The 'iconic' face off scene is deflating as well, as it's very shown to be a 2-shot. As such looks like over-the-shoulder television direction. You make some good points though, otherwise.
>>
>>84120076
I misspoke, it's not ever a two-shot, they might as well as not have been on set at the same time.
>>
My favorite, more subtle and best writing
The insider

Absolute genre masterpiece but too obvious and perhaps too perfect when a lot of Manns appeal comes from the fragility
Heat

Pure Mann flaws included
Collateral
Blackhat
Miami vice

Cut from the same sensibility as insider but with less brilliance I still love it for its overall atmosphere and spirit
Ali

Earlier Mann, excellent but does not speak to me as much, feels too rough around the edges and 80s and hadn't transcended the Melville and peckinpah influences yet
Thief
Manhunter

Not sure what he was trying to do here but didn't enjoy it
Public enemies

Still need to see and very much looking forward to but wanna keep them for special occasions
Mohicans
The keep

A very rare and precious filmmaker I hope he gets to make a few more films before retiring and not just crime dramas
>>
>>84120076
kys
>>
File: ash.jpg (459KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ash.jpg
459KB, 1920x1080px
>>84119782
top tier
-the insider
-last of the mohicans
-heat
very good tier
-collateral
forgettable tier
-miami vice
-manhunter
>>
>>84120076
>>84120156
Strongly disagree about this opinion, they were on set together but the choice to minimize the duel was very conscious. You can be absolutely certain that he had shots with the two of them together but decided not to use them in the editing room for good reasons. Less is more etc. What you mistakenly identified as uninspired or lazy TV directing is in fact careful virtue of modesty, producers probably pressured him to use money shots for trailer and he took the most difficult choices. Just watch the shitty cop film they made together in the 2000s when they're on screen together to compare and notice the difference. Seeing them together makes it lose all its aura.
>>
>>84120076
Kys
>>
>>84120441
>Just watch the shitty cop film they made together in the 2000s when they're on screen together to compare and notice the difference. Seeing them together makes it lose all its aura.

This does not hold water. If you dig the film and it works for you, that's cool, but obviously whomever directed the B-movie you're talking about isnt as skilled as Mann. Though while I do enjoy his work generally, i can't agree that that scene would have lost anything had they appeared on screen together, but rather felt more alive or tense.
>>
>>84119782
overrated: The Insider
bad:Public Enemies, Blackhat
good: the rest
>>
>>84119852
MY FUCKING NIGGER
>>
>>84121037
They appear together In the last shot which is more powerful because it's the only time they are together
>>
>>84122038
Fair point mate
>>
File: insider04.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
insider04.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>84119782
The Insider > the rest
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.