[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Alien a Good Movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: ALIEN (2).jpg (3MB, 3060x3876px) Image search: [Google]
ALIEN (2).jpg
3MB, 3060x3876px
> "Alien is the kind of film in which people go wandering off alone into dark rooms, disobey rather elementary rules of quarantine, and stop and worry about the safety of pussycats while the monster is chasing them...Director Ridley Scott, previously known for his art film, The Duellists, has learned his lessons in suspense-making from Steven Spielberg’s Jaws, but hasn’t bothered taking notes on Spielberg’s carefully constructed storyline." - Randy Hall

> "Alien will make an enormous sum of money; it has already broken Star Wars’ box-office records for the first two weeks. It will be seen because it is different and because many moviegoers thrill to the chills of monsters and madness. But it’s an empty film proceeding on repulsion. It glitters with expertise and gloss. Alien isn’t fun, though. Nor is it funny. And it isn’t concerned with substance. Fear’s the game, and Alien will break box-office records on that single, and in this case, shallow emotion." - Jacqi Tully

> “An empty-headed horror movie with nothing to recommend it beyond the disco-inspired art direction and some handsome, if gimmicky, cinematography.” - Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader.

> “An empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery can not disguise imaginative poverty.” - Time Out

> “Space-age horror film reverts to 1950’s formula story, but adds stomach-churning violence, slime, and shocks. Still, this is some people’s idea of a good time.” - Leonard Maltin

> “Occasionally one sees a film that uses the emotional resources of movies with such utter cynicism that one feels sickened by the medium itself. Alien … is so ‘effective’ it has practically turned me off movies altogether … The movie is terrifying, but not in a way that is remotely enjoyable.” - David Denby, New York

Were the initial reviews too harsh or are we too forgiving nowadays?
>>
Rolling Stone said Led Zeppelin sucked when they started too. Critics try too hard.
>>
>>84100888
Who cares it's just a movie.
>>
>>84100951
They did suck, though. Pleb as fuck.
A better example would be King Crimson.
>>
>>84100888
>> “Space-age horror film reverts to 1950’s formula story, but adds stomach-churning violence, slime, and shocks. Still, this is some people’s idea of a good time.” - Leonard Maltin

I can imagine the suede jacket with leather elbow patches he was wearing when he wrote this line.

>>84100963

>i just come here for the memes
ok
>>
File: 111398328011.jpg (125KB, 1200x796px) Image search: [Google]
111398328011.jpg
125KB, 1200x796px
“It would be very convincing to say that there’s no hope for movies – that audiences have been so corrupted by television and have become so jaded that all they want are noisy thrills and dumb jokes and images that move along in an undemanding way, so they can sit and react at the simplest motor level. And there’s plenty of evidence, such as the success of Alien. This was a haunted-house-with-gorilla picture set in outer space. It reached out, grabbed you, and squeezed your stomach; it was more gripping than entertaining, but a lot of people didn’t mind. They thought it was terrific, because at least they’d felt something: they’d been brutalized. It was like an entertainment contrived in Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World by the Professor of Feelies in the College of Emotional Engineering.” - Pauline Kael

“There is very little involvement with the characters themselves … A generally good cast in cardboard roles.”- Variety
>>
>>84101123

>In the early 1980s, Kael was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease
haha
>>
>>84100888

>Alien isn't fun, though. Nor is it funny.

Someone got left out of the Bonus Situation.
>>
>>84101034
>suede jacket with leather elbow patches
wew, the meme is twede not suede
>>
>>84101212

oh fuck me I'm tired, now I'm loling imagining a suede jacket like that
>>
>>84101000
Led Zeppelin never sucked, they were just horrifically, unabashedly overrated.
>>
Alien is a complete masterpiece
>>
File: guy.jpg (17KB, 200x308px) Image search: [Google]
guy.jpg
17KB, 200x308px
>>84100951
>Critics try too hard.
This is true. It's also a profession where everything is subjective, so there's no "right" or "wrong" and so there's no penalty or consequences for being "wrong." It's a great gig to have. Sort of like pic related's job of going around the country, trying people's food, and going, "Yeah. That's pretty good."
>>
>>84101000
Oh my god, I saw King Crimson open for Tool at Red Rocks. They played for at least an hour and a half. Worst jackoff prog rock ever, by the time Tool hit the stage I just wanted sound to go away.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.