[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a 25 year old man and I've never cried watching a movie.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

I am a 25 year old man and I've never cried watching a movie. I've heard countless people talk about how this or that movie made them cry and I've been wondering whether I am just different or if I simply have not watched the right film. If you guys can agree on one or two movies, I'll watch them and see if I can feel anything. Usually it's just cringe, but like I said, maybe there's something out there waiting to remind me what it feels like to cry. If it's there, I hope you guys can help me find it.
>>
File: 1461803412716.png (201KB, 437x240px) Image search: [Google]
1461803412716.png
201KB, 437x240px
Tenenbaums 2x for me every time
>>
>>84079718
closest movie was everybody's fine. i had a single tear roll out. idk why but it reminded me of my grandfather who had died years before. there's no contest though; last minutes with oden always gets me though.

https://vimeo.com/8191217
>>
>>84079718
Dear Zachary.

If you don't cry, there's something broken in you.
>>
File: HAPPINESS.jpg (98KB, 416x598px) Image search: [Google]
HAPPINESS.jpg
98KB, 416x598px
Happiness (1998)

maybe its cheating, but psychotropic substances mite help too
>>
File: hihsDI.jpg (511KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hihsDI.jpg
511KB, 1024x768px
>>84079718
i was like you OP until pic related.
>>
File: crieverytiem.jpg (135KB, 500x747px) Image search: [Google]
crieverytiem.jpg
135KB, 500x747px
If you haven't cried at this, you're lying.

The end of Billy Elliot always gets me too.
>>
>>84079718
Most males subconsciously suppress the action of crying whenever they feel anything remotely "sad".
There are some films that get to a lot of anons here (It's Such a Beautiful Day, Ikiru, Elephant Man, Manchester By The Sea, Paris, Texas) but feeling "sad" is a pretty subjective personal feeling which varies from person to person depending on their past life experiences, just like all people don’t find the same things scary.

So try to find out what kind of films/narratives really make you feel and try to get rid of any constraints while watching (watch it completely alone) and release, it feels good to just let go off all the bottled up things inside of you. Sounds kinda cheesy but it's true.
>>
>>84079718
Do you cry in real life?
>>
>>84080284
>Most males subconsciously suppress the action of crying whenever they feel anything remotely "sad".
thats not entirely a bad thing. men mostly pick up the pieces for funerals and really emotional things that require distancing to get through. crying is natural for your body but its not a necessity

OP there is nothing wrong with not crying at a film, they're not real.
>>
The Hunt
>>
>>84080275

is this the movie where the white horse get swallowed by the swamp at the end?
>>
You have to be a real big FAGGOT to cry during a movie
Or maybe a person with healthy emotions
Idk
>>
File: Philadelphia_imp.jpg (33KB, 252x378px) Image search: [Google]
Philadelphia_imp.jpg
33KB, 252x378px
Right here.
>>
>>84081602
who cares about some fags
>>
>>84081513
No, it's the one where AnnaSophia Robb drowns at the end

And the worst part is her character is an atheist so you know she burns in hell for eternity afterwards
>>
File: 1432412343234.png (222KB, 500x208px) Image search: [Google]
1432412343234.png
222KB, 500x208px
right here
>>
>>84081788
see
>>84081718
>>
>>84081602
>>84081718
Will never be able take that movie seriously because of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlcZ2zXvLgM
>>
Probably just haven't seen the right subject matter honestly. I can watch puppies get their heads smashed all day after years of being de-sensitized on the internet, but really anything touching having to do with Father/Son or Mother/Son relationships really hit me hard. Partly because I'm a pretty cold person when it comes to family relationships and I can tell it hurts my parents sometimes.
>>
You'll only cry to something that relates to you, or when it's extremely or unexpectedly sad. I've cried watching Room (in a theater, I don't thin I'd cry at home) and Raising Arizona.

There was also a movie (C-list movie) about a boy who has cancer and his almost autistic friend, they travel to try to get the cure from AIDS, they almost die but somehow they get back home. The AIDS boy is in pretty bad shape and the only thing that brings joy to him is to stay with his friend and while at the hospital they usually pranks the doctors that he's dead. One day he really dies, and his mom is a single mom and she doesn't stop crying and she brings the friend to his house, they look at each other and know they'll never see each other again, and the movie ends.

That shit made me cry like a river, and it was because I wasn't expecting it + it was too much drama.
>>
>>84079718
Hachiko
>>
>>84080284
>>84081253
I watch all films alone and have no reason to suppress anything even if I were with someone. In fact I think if I were watching a movie with another person and cried, it would bring me closer to that person. I don't cry in real life because it's difficult for me to find things sad. Over the years I've been reduced to a fatalist and this has slowly numbed me to the point where an untimely death or separation has become neither more nor less than necessary. I'm wondering if there's a film to break through this total emotional apathy.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations but it's a little overwhelming. I don't enjoy watching films--even good ones--so it's highly unlikely that I'll watch more than one of these. If I see a certain film mentioned multiple times I will watch it and hope that it doesn't bore me as all the rest.

On a side note, the last film I watched was 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' because I've read more than one account of it being a 'tear-jerker'. My disappointment was supreme. The acting made me cringe and the plot was cloying. The only things I liked were the portrayal of a person who is high and made to function--this is the only thing that didn't seem to be inauthentic and forced--and the cinematography in those scenes when he was traversing through memories. I mention this because I am curious to know if I am missing something. How is it possible that this it's considered among the best films of the 21st century when it bored and nauseated me? Did I miss something or is my suspicion correct of it appealing only to those who did not develop beyond adolescence. I'd be happy to learn that I'm the imbecile, but please explain yourself if this is what my opinion leads you to believe.
>>
>>84083979
Oh you're just a repressed nerd.

Go read Infinite Jest.
>>
I've never cried to something sad in a movie.
I only find myself 'crying' when I'm really into a movie and something epic happends, usually something revenge related or some fucker getting btfo.

It's more of a 'tears rolling down my cheek + watery eyes' crying
>>
La familia made me cry, the return of ringo, el dorado, Rio bravo, any which way but loose,
>>
>>84080275
>If you haven't cried at this, you're lying.
Came in to post same. The girl is well-cast & the director makes you fall in love with her & experience deep loss.
>>
>>84080212
It was masturbatory schlock and deserved only derision, not tears
>>
>>84079718
I almost cried watching Wonder Woman. Let yourself feel emotions man.
>>
>>84084093
How was your freshman year of college? You'll love lit 102 and 20th century Russian literature!
>>
File: MV5.jpg (77KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
MV5.jpg
77KB, 400x600px
>>84079718
>>
I didn't even cry when I was holding my father when he died. I was very sad, but I just never cry.
>>
>>84085336
Just so you know, you're defending a pseud who uses words like "cloying" to describe a film. Beyond that, he thinks that a film is going to break him out of his shell of emotional disaffection (while also admitting that he's probably one going to watch one random film out of the >20 mentioned).

Infinite Jest is a great suggestion for that type of person.
>>
>>84079718
I'm not some sort of badass at all but I think I can't get invested in a movie enough to cry. When something extremely tragic or moving happens I usually just think "holy shit, the writers did that", I guess I'm always conscious of the fourth wall and I don't really like it.
>>
>>84085659
Even though you deserve to be ignored for calling a man a 'pseud' for using an apt word to describe something, I'll acknowledge that 'Infinite Jest' is a good recommendation and has already been on my reading list for a while. I don't think I'm trying to break out of any shell, I just want to know if a movie can make me cry. That said, it really isn't my fault that I can't watch more than one of these. My time is limited and I don't like the idle state of mind that watching a movie inflicts. I see why this would also sound like something a 'pseud' would say, but I always feel strange after watching a film. I can best describe it as the come-down from a hallucinogenic but it only lasts for a few minutes. It's tolerable every once in a while, but not more than that. Show some compassion brother.
>>
>>84083979
You're autistic and that's not an insult I've had rinds who were diagnosed and they do just fine you just don't feel the same way normal people do and feel the need to justify it as you did in that lengthy post. Get yourself diagnosed and win autismbux if american
>>
I've considered the posts that suggested watching something I would find sad versus something others claim is sad. After giving it some thought, I think what comes closest to making me sad is the plight of an innocent woman. The sadness of such a woman is infectious and although I have not cried, I remember feeling exceptionally sorry for certain women who have been unjustly wronged. I don't know if a film would have a similar, or even more pronounced effect because it would be impossible to silence the thought that insists none of it is real. But if there is a relevant movie, please recommend it. No rape please. For some reason that does not have any effect on me.
>>
>>84081788

due to the terrible greenscreen?
>>
>>84086933
Your problem is that you're autistic. You don't actually think that anyone gives a fuck about your walls of text, do you?
>i must confess that infinite jest is a solid recommendation and one (that is, i) have intended to read it for quite some time and blah blah blah
How is this relevant to the main topic? Nobody gives a shit about your reading list. The guy only brought it up to insult you.
>>
>>84079718
you have to actually let yourself get invested into the movie not just absent-mindedly follow along
>>
>>84083979

you don't need a movie that makes you cry, you need to watch equilibrium
>>
>>84085561
/thread
>>
>>84087144
>>84087344
It's more insulting to actual autists than to me to call me autistic. If your intention was to help me come closer to understanding myself through your diagnosis, thank you; but if you are trying to be insulting or funny, the important thing is that you tried. This is my second time on this board, but are a few sentences considered 'walls of text' here? I guess it's not a surprise that those who prefer television over books are repulsed by more than one or two lines of text.

>>84085648
I'm not sure if I'd cry either. But I'm hoping to find a film that depicts something more sad than the death of a family member. I'll stay here until it's archived and then watch whatever was recommended most often. If it doesn't affect me, at least I know plenty of other people aren't affected by films either.
>>
>>84088082
It's because you blabber on about your personal life even though nobody gives a fuck about you. And your superfluous conversation has no relevance to your purpose for being here --which is 'post sad movies please'.
Go read through your posts. Now think about how much of what you've written is necessary.
It's a shame that all of those books you've read haven't taught you how to write to the fucking point.
>>
>>84089049
Well after someone observed that sadness is subjective and seeing how many movies have been recommended, I thought it was necessary to write more to get a more personalized recommendation. Besides that I hope I can be excused for responding to the posts which led me to deviate even further than I otherwise would have. After reading through my posts, I'm convinced that it was all necessary to address the individuals I meant to address. Have you even recommended a film?
>>
>>84089311
Dude you either have autism or aspergers both of which are not detrimental to having a healthy life but you need to take the tests to help you better understand that you are in fact autistic.
https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/
>>
>>84089626
To entertain myself as much as you, I took the test and scored 11/50. I'd love to know your score. I can understand why you would think I am autistic and I appreciate the effort you put in supplying the link. I know what I'd need to say to be diagnosed with autism, but why go through the trouble? What would the understanding you recommend achieve? Even if the test or some man could convince me that I am autistic, what would it change? As someone else mentioned, this has gone well beyond a film recommendation but I am curious to know what you hoped to achieve by going through all this trouble to tell a stranger that he is autistic. Is it a defense mechanism or somehow a source of pleasure? Would you be happy if I scored higher or if I told you that I am autistic? I hope these questions can help you realize that you are better than this. You can be doing so much more with yourself! Again if you thought you could be helpful in a way by telling me I'm autistic, I thank you for the effort, but you'd be more useful volunteering somewhere. Show me a film about a man who is wasting himself as I suspect you are and maybe then I'll be able to cry. What is more sad than that?
>>
>>84081785
lol
>>
The film you're looking for is Taken.

When that rich, fat Arab guy doesn't get to bang that sweet-assed, virgin 17 year old after paying millions for her and losing all his security staff in the process, well, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to let at least one manly tear slide down your cheek.
>>
>>84090592
You my lad have autism or aspergers and this will be the last (You) I give you.
To possibly offer some kind of advice to your sad life I recommend instead of coming to this Taiwanese paper folding chat room for movie advice maybe ask what makes you sad and find a movie (using google) that does just that and then watch it. Why anyone would want to be sad is in and of itself sad, but hey whatever gets your rocks off nigga :^)
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.