[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nobody actually knows what the fuck this is about do they?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 26

File: IMG_0450.jpg (103KB, 250x390px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0450.jpg
103KB, 250x390px
Nobody actually knows what the fuck this is about do they?
>>
>its a Obama fucks up but the media blames everybody else instead episode
>>
>>84075445
it's the explanation why my platinum bullion is now worth diddly.
>>
Buyer beware motherfucks. The people who bought the mortgage backed securities and the people who took loans they could not pay are just as much to blame if not MORE to blame than the wall street people.
>>
>>84075445

average /tv/ users don't know for sure

thank god for my good education and incredible intellect
>>
>>84076100
Clinton fucked up worse than Obama, and Bush fucked up by doing nothing about it
>>
>>84075445
It's above your station, wage slave.
>>
>>84076223

It really was a clinton thing. A lot of people dont remember how the federal gov was coming down on banks back then for not lending to minorities and poors.
>>
>>84076219
Maybe reddit is more your speed

>>84075445
>OP didn't get it

That's fine, I recommend watching it again and familiarizing yourself with finance, it deals with a lot of complex things.
>>
>>84076223
>>84076278
Don't forget Glass-Steagle
>>
>>84076278
the Community Reinvestment Act is still a federal law so you can be certain there will be more crashes to come

I hate bankers as much as the next guy but forcing banks to lend money to poor low income families is obviously going to lose them money, so the fed Govt subsidies it one way or another until the bubble pops.
>>
>>84076283
>Maybe reddit is more your speed

IIt has more users, so yeah, by pure statistic there are more people 'my speed' there, true

but don't worry, the struggle of being a genius among pleb is something I have always struggled with, I grew accustomed to it by now
>>
>>84076100
>Obama

He wasn't even in office
>>
>>84076424
>Obama didn't bail out the banks

huh
>>
>>84076342
I tip my fedora at you good sir!!
>>
>>84076337
the same people who fuck with free market are the ones claiming it doesnt work every time something goes wrong.

cant make that shit up.
>>
File: 5Kg7Y04.jpg (65KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
5Kg7Y04.jpg
65KB, 431x450px
>>84076342
>>
>>84076440

I would prefer a bow, but fine, that will do as well
>>
>>84075445
credit rating agencies not doing their job
>>
>>84076437
The Big Short wasn't about bailing out the banks

What the fuck how do you blame a man who wasn't president until 2009 for the financial crisis of 2007/2008

Lehman Brothers bit the dust before he was even elected and the bailouts began in September 2008 4 months before he took office
>>
>>84076555
those subprime packages entire point was to hide bad credits from the rating agencies though.
>>
>>84076579
I already blamed Clinton and Bush here >>84076223

That doesn't change the fact that Obama bailed out the banks, which is a bit like paying your blackmailers after they've shot your child, and he failed to reverse the decisions which caused the crash in the first place because to do so would be to admit the Democratic party were to blame, and like all politicians he is a liar so would never do that.
>>
File: goback.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
goback.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>84076491
>>
>>84076701
This thread is about The Big Short and the economic crisis of 2007/2008, not about Obama bailing out the banks. Go to /pol/ for that my friend,
>>
>>84076807
Forgive me for making the most informed posts in this thread and elevating the level of discourse, you can keep shitposting if you want
>>
>>84076772

I already told you, it makes barely any difference to me which site I'm using. it's my curse
>>
>>84076701
>>84076841
>informed post

Bush bailed out the banks you thick piggo
>>
File: Screamcover.jpg (22KB, 278x359px) Image search: [Google]
Screamcover.jpg
22KB, 278x359px
>tfw people watch this movie and think they know why the recession happened
>tfw the federal reserve mentioned twice iirc
>tfw they don't touch laws that forced banks to give loans to people unable to afford houses
>tfw sub prime loans are shown as a reason the recession happened when they prevented it from being worse than it could have been
>tfw people aren't noticing auto loans are the next housing loan
>>
>>84076841
>the most informed posts in this thread and elevating the level of discourse
How much of a turboautist you must be to write a sentence like that seriously? wow.
You opened a thread about The Big Short and OP asking if anyone understood it's narrative and you somehow start talking about the media and Obama which is completely unrelated to the subject, but you just probably thought "crisis hmmm oh yeah OBAMA WAS BAD" because that's the only thing you could connect to that term. Talk about the movie not Obama please.
>>
>>84076927
>tfw people aren't noticing auto loans are the next housing loan
holy shit this. there's so many fuckers out there driving $50k-$80k trucks and cars that aren't going to be able to afford payments if they wreck their shit. nothing pissed me off more than seeing a fresh private in the army driving around in a brand new camero.
>>
Carrell can't act for shit
>>
>>84076701
>and he failed to reverse the decisions which caused the crash in the first place

But that's exactly what Dodd-Frank and the creation of the CFPB was aimed at.

Ignoring the fact that the bank bailouts started under Bush, literally any responsible US president would have done the same, no matter how satisfying it'd feel to flip them the bird.

Recovery took the better part of a decade, and it would've taken far longer without the bailouts.
>>
>>84076927
I thought it was student loans
>>
>>84077105
Students loans always follow you and the government backs every single one. They're structured very differently than any houses or cars because you can't take back a degree. Not to say they're not a mess because they are and only something as dumb as the government would give someone a loan to get half the degrees people go for.
>>
>>84075445
Obama didn't do nothing, he a good boy!
>>
>>84077105
All we would really have to do in the event of a student loan crash is federally standardize the price of college and not have it go up 40% per year. American education is crashing and its it's own fault. Like sure you want to make your school elite so you charge more but then you're just gonna have to let poor people in anyway once they get the grants and loans so you might as well just make them all tier based by gpa and stop spending 3 million dollars per year on statues and landscaping
>>
>>84076874
So when Obama gave the same creditors 600 billion newly printed dollars in 2009 you don't consider that a bailout?

>>84076985
identify my posts

>>84077054
Absolutely fucking not, a responsible president would have held a presser and explained exactly which laws and practices (some governmental, some by the banks) had brought us to this point, and what steps we must take to reverse them.

The bail outs were not at all necessary, it was a simple shake down wherein the banks and insurers could threaten short term losses to "force" the government to subsidize them.

A good president would have told them to fuck off, lobbies for the revocation of the CRA (Obama would never do because it was a Democrat backed law) and ended the Housing regulatory boards entirely, instead giving a portion of the federal budget directly to citizens facing foreclosure and revoking the property titles from the banks. AIG and S&P would have gone bankrupt, good fuck them, and the government would have the deeds to millions of homes which they could sell to local credit unions to recoup their losses, which would prop up small banks to mitigate the economic impact of AIG going down.

Both parties are so beholden to the wealthy that you don't even know what true Keynesian investment looks like anymore.
>>
>>84077281
>federally standardize the price of college
The government is involved too much as it is, this wouldn't help.
>>
>>84076927
this is very true
>>
>>84075445
Thread Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgDF2xfcbv8
>>
File: 1400912977730.jpg (99KB, 908x714px) Image search: [Google]
1400912977730.jpg
99KB, 908x714px
>>84077287
I hate how people here passionately argue about surface-level politics and wikipedia history with whole novels for posts along with all the statistical information attached in a pic but can't form a single buzzword-free sentence about actual Television & Film except REDDIT PLEB KINO PARTY ROCKERS AM I RIGHT.

I don't even know why I'm still here.
>>
>>84077014
Nothing irks me more than a seasoned e-5 thinking he knows anything
>>
File: hehe.jpg (10KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
hehe.jpg
10KB, 320x220px
>>84076342
>struggle of being a genius among pleb
>I grew accustomed to it by now
>>
>>84077397
Get the fuck out of here
>>
>>84077331
I mean if you control the price of college you could control the amount of money you're giving out in loans to make it something that isn't an obvious financial bubble. Every year the government commits itself to 40% more in student loans than it did the year before and its not like they don't know how many people will be applying.

Schools are just exploiting students and the government they can because they're subsidized anyway.

Remember when that college spent 1.5mil on a desk for an office building that was closed off to students?
>>
>>84077417
e-4 mafia son.
>>
>>84075445
9/11
>>
>>84077491
Standardizing the price of colleges will only make public colleges a worthless signal of education. Colleges blow money right now because they have to spend every dollar given to them by the government or would get a lower amount of money the next school year. The issue is the fact that the government is involved in education at all. Guaranteed loans create completely malign the worth of a degree. Instead of people getting loans based on the likelihood they're paid back, they're automatically given. Because of this we see a glut of degrees that are worthless and people spent their time getting no skills that will help them in the real world, and are probably less intelligent after the years of indoctrination. A cap on education costs will only cap the cost of worthless indoctrination camps.
>>
>>84077253
>Federal debt increased during a recession

Where's the wrongdoing here?
>>
>>84077287
>let the banks fail
>nobody has any money now

Great idea
>>
>>84075445
I treat it as the 4th instalment of LOTR.
>>
>>84077796
maybe you're unfamiliar with law but in cases of a bankrupt company their assets are divided among the damaged
>>
>>84077677
>people spent their time getting no skills that will help them in the real world
not the person you're replying to but if all saw education as purely a monetary investment in skills for a future payoff then the world would be a much worse place.

the problem is that there are too many creative people going into creative courses and who want creative professions but aren't willing to work anywhere near hard enough to survive such a competitive field, and don't have the savvy to build their own creative career on their own. There are too many creatives for the number of jobs available to them. That's not their fault, and it's certainly not a reason to gut the entire ideal of higher education
>>
>>84076100
>Obama "fucks up"
>movie takes place in large part before Obama was even in office
>only very end occurs with Obama at the helm
>the crisis followed 8 years of Bush being a retard

hm... really makes you think... really makes you wonder why conservatives blame everything on Obama...

Maybe it has something to do with their own failed neoliberalist policies causing the crash by deregulating the banks and trade commission and preventing any oversight of the housing market.

>inb4 repeal happened under Clinton
Ah yes, because Clinton definitely was not a conservative neoliberalist when it came to deregulation.

It's still neoliberal policies that caused are are continuing to cause the downfall of society. When both sides are taking marching orders from the same people, one must look at what those orders are. If America is not so great anymore, perhaps it's because we've been using voodoo economics for the last 4 decades.
>>
>>84077835
Yeah and that takes time

Millions of Americans waiting months for their money and being pennyless in the mean time would be make for a great presidential decision apparently
>>
>>84077287

>600 billion dollars

TARP was a Bush and Paulson plan, not Obama
>>
>>84077796
This.
>>
My first attorney job out of school was foreclosure law suits in 2009. It was by state law that I had to meet with the people having their residence foreclosed to see if the bank would refi their loan (see Obama HAMP). Most people didn't give a fuck because their house was a ripoff anyway.
>>
>>84077677
>Standardizing the price of colleges will only make public colleges a worthless signal of education.
I disagree because colleges don't make money based on graduation rates so they're free to be just as hard as they are now with the same admission requirements
>Colleges blow money right now because they have to spend every dollar given to them by the government or would get a lower amount of money the next school year.
So neutering them seems like a good idea. My school just paid 4 million to put up trees in fields that already have trees
>Guaranteed loans create completely malign the worth of a degree. Instead of people getting loans based on the likelihood they're paid back, they're automatically given.
Sure but at this point we're doing nothing while more and more gov money is being spent on it
>Because of this we see a glut of degrees that are worthless and people spent their time getting no skills that will help them in the real world, and are probably less intelligent after the years of indoctrination.
Shitty worthless degrees pay for the "real" degrees that no one wants to fund the equipment and labs for like biochem and nuclear physics. You can't make people study what they don't want to so you might as well make money off of them
>A cap on education costs will only cap the cost of worthless indoctrination camps.
Muh liberal boogeyman corrupting the youth
>>
>>84077898
We'll be fine when Trump brings coal back m8 don't you worry.
>>
It even had scenes specifically meant to explain complex financial terms to stupid people, how did you not get it?
>>
File: LaughingGirls.png (477KB, 560x500px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingGirls.png
477KB, 560x500px
>>84078158
>Coal
>Ever becoming viable again
Once we bring back steam power this country will really get going
>>
>>84077916
It takes as much time as the courts decide it does, we have a right to a speedy trial, not a slow one, if the prosecution asked for summary judgment they would obviously get it because failure to produce owned assets is cut and dry.

The point is that all he did was maintain the support to the exact same institutions which brought us to this point without reversing their capability to do so, by every logical merit Obama ensured a loan default based recession will happen again, and if trump doesn't do anything about it he'll be just as guilty.
>>
>>84078230
Steam powered via hotheads is energy fire
>>
>>84078210
i wuz watchin qt3.14s. wut did dey sey?
>>
>>84078241
and what is your plan for the Americans who lost money over the guarantee? Just tell them to fuck off?
>>
>>84076927
What are auto loans?

They're loans for cars, because I'm evropa and I don't understand.
>>
>>84078347
Bail them out
>>
>>84078230
most of the world's electricity is generated by steam engines disphit
>>
>>84078230
obviously putting money back into coal is a bad idea, but i'm pretty sure coal, gas and nuclear are all technically steam power.

like, steam engines were powered by coal
>>
>>84078520
>obviously putting money back into coal is a bad idea
Why? It's the cheapest energy source there is.
>>
Anyone who says that we should have just let all the institutions fail is an edgelord of the highest order, with no understanding of what the repercussions would have been. The bailouts were 100% necessary
>>
>>84076100

The lending policies that resulted in the crisis were actually started by Bill Clinton. LBJ if you want to go farther.
>>
>>84078587
Muh institutions
>>
>>84077898
The repeal happened under Clinton, as did the Community Reinvestment Act and the nationalization of faulty debt via Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae

Clinton is quite literally the sitting president who signed into law the conditions which caused the housing market crash. Bush is just the retard who failed to counter sign any of it, because as you say, both parties are equally fucked.
>>
>>84078587
>>84077287

second part of post is what we should have done
>>
>>84078581
eh....long term solar is pretty damn cheap.
>>
>>84078581
Because it's absolutely terrible for every living thing remotely near it and isn't nearly as cheap long term while also being nonrenewable. Also the whole global warming thing.

Renewables + nuclear backup is the way to go
>>
>>84078713
Solar cells require harmful environmental practices just to build, they are not a cheaper or more "green" solution with current technologies.
>>
>>84078733
>muh CO2
>>
>>84078784
>muh chinese conspiracy to get us to use chinese steel for the pipeline but lets use chinese steel on the pipeline anyway
>>
>>84075445
Let me guess, they spend the entire time going MUH WALLSTREET and not a single moment going over the legislation signed into law by Bill Clinton that mandated these banks to hand out home loans to people who obviously could not afford them?
>>
>>84078739
i wasn't talking about environment. i said "long term solar is pretty damn cheap." if we were talking about cost without cleanup, nuclear would be the cheapest.
>>
>>84078832
m8 I'm just talking about how wasting a valuable resource by not utilizing and selling coal is a bad economic policy, don't get all weird on me

>>84078866
Nuclear and coal are both very cheap in terms of Kw/H, cheaper than solar or wind, I would only invest in solar or wind tangentially to keep the innovations coming if I controlled the federal budget
>>
>>84078696

>let AIG fail

Lmao, they were by far the largest issuer of CDS contracts and counterparty to hundreds of other firms. Letting them fail would have had a large ripple effect through the entire system
>>
>>84078944
My bad I thought you were going full pizzagate for a second. Personally I think it's worth the financial hit just to get past coal and on to nuclear which is objectively the cleanest, cheapest and most reliable
>>
>>84079026
and letting them succeed only nearly destroyed the economy, so we should just do that again and again!

literally psychotic
>>
>>84079069
> think it's worth the financial hit just to get past coal
Then you can do that personally by opting to buy green energy from your power grid. What is not okay is forcing everyone else to pay triple for electricity because of your personal opinion.
>>
>>84079069
But that's like saying we have money growing on trees, but we shouldn't harvest it

so long as coal is abundant (it is) and there's a demand for it (there is) we should keep selling it and by extension making it into energy, to do otherwise is to cheapen our own assets
>>
>>84076337
They are actually still doing the same exact thing, they just renamed sub-prime loans to something else. Obama let them get away with it.
>>
>>84078944
>Nuclear and coal are both very cheap in terms of Kw/H, cheaper than solar or wind
idk man, you can't really compare the two right now. we're just getting around to investing in renewable energy whereas coal and nuke have been around for a while. long term, we're going to have to refit the plants if they're even still able to do so. to be completely honest with you, i don't agree with the whole solar panel and turbine craze. i'm kinda leaning more towards the idea of molten salt plants; they seem to have a better method of storing energy.
>>
>>84079171
There are a lot of sources of renewable energy that should be studied and advanced, but the point is you don't need to hurt your other valuable industries to do that

most advances are made at the university level which is majority state funded, you can spend a few billions there without extracting wealth from other valuable industries like coal
>>
>>84079026
I know the daughter of one of AIG's former CEOs. She was shitting bricks in 2009, everything is great for her again.
>>
File: logo.png (16KB, 385x87px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
16KB, 385x87px
being as there's some semi intelligent individuals and amateur economists in this thread. at what point does a mega corporation exist to bypass the need for a bank.
>>
>Clinton and Bush will never be sent to prison
Feels bad man
>>
>>84078581
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kentucky-coal-museum-harlan-county-solar-panels-install-save-money-renewable-energy-green-fossil-a7676086.html

>Kentucky Coal Museum installs solar panels because it will save money

>'We believe that this project will help save at least $8,000 to $10,000 off the energy costs on this building alone'
>>
File: 1493512874531.jpg (650KB, 1260x1255px) Image search: [Google]
1493512874531.jpg
650KB, 1260x1255px
>>84079350
TWOOOO PRESIDENTS???
>>
>>84079350
And Obama didn't prosecute anyone that was responsible
>>
>>84079073

We live in a paradise today compared with what we would've endured had we not stepped in to stop the bleeding
>>
>>84079358
I wonder if you're actually retarded or you're just too smug to see past your own fumes.
>>
>>84079113
Natural gases are cheaper, the Coal industry has been dying for decades.
>>
>>84079396
No, we chose to bail out the banks when we could have bailed out the citizens who own assets held by the bank for considerably cheaper, middlemen do not reduce cost
>>
>>84079455
Fuck off Bernie
>>
>>84079398
>person A makes claim
>I, person B counter its point with a source
>You insult me, disregarding the argument and making a strawman out of me, implying I am somehow smug and or retarded.
>Somehow your logical fallacies would make you win the argument (?)
>>
File: masterblaster.jpg (102KB, 465x640px) Image search: [Google]
masterblaster.jpg
102KB, 465x640px
>>84079410
Me order! Me Master! Me run Bartertown!
>>
>>84075445
>it's a you went short BBB MBS products and are billions in the positive and your idiot coworker who shares the same balance sheet did the same but financed his short-position by going even more long AAA MBS
>>
>>84079483
in the time it took you to find the source you missed the convo dude.
>>
>>84079479
I'm a national socialist, it's ironic that you're calling me a Jew

>>84079410
once again that in no way indicates that you should try to inhibit the coal industry over environmental concerns, you know progressives are equally opposed to LNG pipelines and fracking as they are coal mines
>>
>>84075445
It's about the housing crash.
>>
>>84076218
don't hate the player, hate the game
>>
>>84076218
legally if you decline a housing loan to a colored person on basis of their limited assets or income or poor credit rating you can be sued for discrimination
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (72KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
72KB, 800x598px
>>84079555
these trips don't lie
>>
>>84079548
But since the demand seems to be descending (look at China aborting its plan to build new coal plants), if natural gases are cheaper and alternative measures are on the rise, why fight the market? It sounds like trying to revive the horse industry because of the jobs and companies that closed due to automobiles.
Should we just do like with oil and fill entire warehouses, just keep pumping it out, let ships wander around the world with all this oil we don't need?
>>84079559
If I cheat by cooking my books, how is the game to blame?
>>
>>84079455

Wrong. The reason the crisis was as severe as it was is because trust was eroded in the system and lending froze up between institutions. This is why the 2008/9 crisis is referred to as the "credit crunch". Bailing out the citizens would've done nothing to ease up the frozen credit channels that had ground the country to a halt. The ABCP market that so many firms rely on for short term financing had frozen up because no one knew who had what toxic assets on their books, and didn't want to take the chance of loaning money to another Lehman. The government stepping in as lender of last resort and promising to backfill the contracts written by AIG and others allowed confidence to enter back into the system which enabled credit to flow again
>>
>>84079780
the system of lending between institutions and by extension the lenders are the exact people who should have suffered for their failure to discern (intentional and mandatory) faulty loan packages from good ones. And the laws that enabled the practice need to be stricken ASAP.
>>
>>84079780
but dude free shit! just give everyone a free house!
>>
>>84076100
The economy tanked before Obama even got elected you belligerent cultist.
>>
>>84078621
>actually started by Bill Clinton.
Started under Bill Clinton. Pushed through by veto-proof Republican legislation.

Then it was combined with the Bush tax cuts, which was basically like taking away a bipolar person's medication and then getting them hooked on crack.
>>
>>84079548
Environmental concerns are one thing, however when you take into account health concerns, the costs for running coal make it so that it shouldn't be considered as a source of power.

NG isn't cheaper than coal out right, but when control technologies and monitoring are factored in, coal is the worse choice because of the price and hassle.

Coal has been getting phased out naturally. You can thank Nixon when he made the EPA.
t. Environmental Engineer in Air Protecion
>>
>>84081522
>tax cuts
>bad
Bernie please go, they had nothing to do with the housing market collapsing.
>>
The book is actually really good and interesting exploration of weaponized autism
>One the traders was a doctor who randomly developed an obsession with markets and trading as people with aspergers often get random fixations
>Uses that to obsession to become a full time traders and make tons of money
>Predicting a crash everybody doesnt think is going to happen and living through it is so stressful he loses interest in stocks
>His obsession shifts to wanting to know everything about guitars
>Not playing them just what makes them work and what the strings are like
>Has enough money to do this new hobby
>>
>>84081522
The tax cuts did not cause the recession
It only made government revenue lower so less money was available for the counter recession spending from the gov
>>
>>84081522

>Bush's tax cuts caused the housing market crash

I love it when commies use historical revisionism.
>>
The idea was
>Mortgages are considered a rock solid investment because in general every pays their mortgage
>These are turned into bonds which are valuable but take a long time to pay off
>So two things are done at once
>First the mortgages are grouped together to increase their security even more because a whole group of people across the country not paying their mortgage is unthinkable
>The mortgages are also now made adjustable so the rates can go up making a quicker pay off
>The higher rate and adjustable rate mortgages can only be sold to subprime people because well off or smart people can get a better deal
>So massive pools of mortgages that are shit get created
>This also conveniently fulfills government pushes for more home ownership etc.
>To limit the risk on the mortgages they are pooled together with stronger mortgage bond pools hiding their risk
>Investors are then given the opportunity to buy into certain levels (low level gets screwed first on default high level gets screwed last but money slower than the low)
>The whole thing is imagined to implode slowly if at all (they did not think it ever would) so there were no cause for concerns
>To further decrease perceived risk Credit Default Swaps were invented where if a mortgage bond goes tits up the holder of the CDS gets payed. Unlike regular insurance anybody can buy one and an unlimited amount as long as they pay
>A whole market for these is created and uses the same structure as the market it is ensuring basically
>All this creates the illusion that all mortgage bonds at even the shittiest of levels are completely protected and the rating agencies cant keep up and just give AAA rating to everything
>>
>>84082506
>The assumption was that real estate markets had never gone in decline everywhere at anytime simultaneously and the increase in housing prices would continue as an unbroken trend
>Both were wrong assumptions
>Even worse is that instead of insuring and making the market safer CDS made it so a single bond failure put an insurer on demand for countless more payoffs than a single bond or mortgage pool failing
>Also a failure rate of 3% was all that was needed to crash the value of the pool and with that the real estate market would go crazy and all of a sudden all these pools and pools of dealings and trades worth billions and billions would be of a valuable nobody knew
>Nobody fully understood what they were trading
>The housing prices due decline eventually making the pools lose value
>But what really started to hit was when the adjustable rate built into the mortgages kicked in and all the poor fucks suddenly found them self on the hook for a mortgage they couldnt afford
>Mass defaults start to occur everywhere and the houses that the bank ends up with are now worth much less than paid for and cant be sold
>Since they have all been trading and insuring each other and investing in pools investment banks start to fall like dominos
>Each fall causes a huge amount of investments to become worthless leading to another fall
>AIG is the mass insurer on these things because it was easy money on a market that would never collapse in their mind and finds them on the hook for a huge portion of giving any of these investments a return
>They cant but are not allowed to fail because they are the only thing making these investments not just paper
Its just a huge cluster fuck. The bails outs are another story but its mostly just the government having no idea what is going on and handing huge stacks of money to things that by the time they are properly valued will be gone
>>
>>84081825
>tax cuts
>bad
Glad you get it. The Bush tax cuts where a disaster for the economy. They overwhelmingly exacerbated the economic effects of the housing market tanking.
>they had nothing to do with the housing market collapsing.
They had a lot to do with the housing market crashing. Let's strip all the regulation on what people and banks can do with their money, and then lets flood those markets with unencumbered cash that previously was being fed into the government. Oh and also lets increase spending by trillions on a war against a concept while dramatically cutting corporate taxes lol. That'll work out.
>>84082235
>The tax cuts did not cause the recession
They unambiguously exacerbated it. They destabilized the entire economy significantly and acted as a toxic stimulus package where all that money was flooded into an artificially inflated housing bubble. 2008 might not have happened for another decade, or not at all, if it wasn't for the tax cuts.
>>84082317
>I love it when commies use historical revisionism.
I love it when knownothings call names when they don't have an argument :)
>>
>>84082928
>Destabilized the economy
No it failed to create the growth hoped for during the recession but it did not destabilize the economy. My god take econ 101 this is just a bafflingly stupid argument
>>
It's about hollywood liberal version of events where the Jew is the hero, and the gubment did nothing wrong
>>
It helps to read the book first
>>
>>84076317
This is the biggest bullshit liberal conspiracy ever.

Glass - Steagle had absolutely nothing to do with the crash
>>
>>84083502
That would be Too big to fail
>>
>>84083502
>the jews in hollywood create a movie about how bad the banks are
>the banks are owned by the jews and hollywood
>the jews have gone full circle in creating the ultimate cuck
>>
Watch it again. If possivle, watch it with a woman who constantly asks questions because she doesn't know what's going on. This might get annoying, but as you are finding ways to explain things in a way she will understand you comprehend more.
>>
>>84083530
While I agree it is exaggerated a ton it is hardly a liberal conspiracy
Reinstating it is in both parties platforms
>>
>>84083604
My girlfriend just got up and went to my bedroom because she did not get it
Still finished the movie without her
>>
>>84083638
Bullshit liberal conspiracies are part of the mainstream America, half my friends think Putin has tapes of Trump being peed on.
>>
>>84083656
I visited my family a few months back and I made my 15 year old sister watch it. She's the sweetest person you'll ever meet but man it amazes me sometimes how slow she is when it comes to movies. I paused pretty much every ten minutes to explain things and economic policy. Though I found myself having greater understanding in economics because of it, trying to explain things in simple analogies and definitions. It's been years since I've taken an econ class and that helped me out.
>>
>>84083656
>women
I fucking hated watching movies with my girlfriend two years ago (a long dry spell I know). It didn't help she was a spic immigrant and watched telenovelas. Granted I'm half spic too but shit at least I don't watch that trash. She couldn't even tell the difference between normal acting and soap opera acting.
>>
>>84083723
And my roommate thinks somehow Russia hacked the voting machines themselves despite them not being connected to the internet and some using paper ballots
The pee tapes are the stupidest fucking thing ever. It would require
>A room where both Obamas stayed being bugged and not one person raising issue with this
>Trump to find Russian whores to piss on the bed where Obama slept instead of just doing it himself
>Somehow for these sheets to be disposed of with no one mentioning a huge celebrity had piss all over their sheets
>Putin knowing that Trump could become President in 2013 and starting a vast conspiracy to elect him
>With his huge black mail being something less damaging than the fappening
>Also black mailing a person like Trump who is known to be relatively shameless and impervious to scandal and has survived passed leaked tape just fine is implausible
>All of this has now made Trump the most powerful man in the world, and somehow he is still afraid of piss tapes
In summary a man impervious to public shaming and has recovered from plenty of damaging a leaks that is now the most powerful man in the world, is somehow being blackmailed by some tapes from years ago to do something. Putin's master plan apparently included a higher military budget and expanded US nuclear arsenal.
>>
>>84083787
The thing is the movie massively glosses over stuff which annoys me but apparently they have to because people actually get lost.
My mom actually got it just fine when I watched it with her thank god, the only time we paused was to talk about how fucked things were.
The book and Liars Poker are great books for learning about how traders and markets operate
>>
>>84083848
Nothing wrong with a year or two off
The one I have right now is pretty solid on movies shes just crazy so its a mixed bag
>>
>>84084152
There's a difference between understanding the plot of the movie, and the underlying reasons why those things really happened and what all the terminology really is. But if she's smart enough to kudos to her. I don't know what it is about most women honestly. If it's not a comedy or a romance they're lost
>>
File: AA028240.png (698KB, 753x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AA028240.png
698KB, 753x1024px
>>84083454
>No it failed to create the growth hoped for
Explain what you think this means. The delusional "growth" talking point from the last election cycle?
>during the recession
No shit. That's why you don't cut taxes at the height of a period of economic growth on a balanced budget. That's why you don't throw away $6 trillion in revenue while waging a $5 trillion overseas war. Just in case the fucking housing market implodes and takes the banks with it.
>but it did not destabilize the economy.
Yes huh.
>this is just a bafflingly stupid argument
Yeah my b dawg. You're right every economist will definitely agree that:
>cutting taxes during wartime is the best thing to do
>cutting taxes on a balanced budget and stable growth for no reason is the best thing to do
>Gramm Leach Bliley Act was a good idea
>~$3 trillion going back to corporations and the top 5% of income earners had nothing to do with the housing market explosion in the early aughts.
>>
File: AA049692.png (792KB, 1024x916px) Image search: [Google]
AA049692.png
792KB, 1024x916px
>>84084057
>And my roommate thinks somehow Russia hacked the voting machines themselves despite them not being connected to the internet and some using paper ballots
You hack the code that is distributed to them.
>The pee tapes are the stupidest fucking thing ever.
Are you still unfamiliar with who Donald Trump is? He's pathologically self-sabotaging. If ever there was a person to get honey potted it'd be him. He literally says of himself that he "can't help it." He's an impulsive sexual deviant and his dick doesn't work. What else is he gonna do with hookers on the Presidential bed?
>A room where both Obamas stayed being bugged and not one person raising issue with this
The expectation in any Russian diplomatic situation would be that they're bugging everything you do. We're bugging everything they do here.
>Trump to find Russian whores to piss on the bed
No it was a trap. They where hired to seduce him to do sex stuff in the bugged room to get any kind of of kompromat. The pissing was what happened.
>Somehow for these sheets to be disposed of with no one mentioning a huge celebrity had piss all over their sheets
One of the sources was a maid m8.
>Putin knowing that Trump could become President in 2013 and starting a vast conspiracy to elect him
Putin does that to everyone. He knew Trump was butthurt about white house correspondents dinner where he got roasted, and created a dream scenario for Trump when he was there later. And it's not like Putin is personally pulling the trigger on everything, and it's not like the pee tape was the beginning of Trump being in Russia's pocket. They've been the primary source of funding for his golf courses since he lost all his dad's money and credit in Atlantic city.
>and somehow he is still afraid of piss tapes
He's not afraid of piss of tapes dude. Lot of Russian diplomats that happened to be American assets happened to start dying right when his transition team happened to start get briefings about them.
>>
>>84084619
You understand the recession Im talking about is the 2003 recession after the dotcom bubble burst you utter fucking moron
They were not cut during a period of economic growth, but instead during the early 2000s recession
Cutting taxes during recession is something done since Kennedy
And no 2003 tax cuts did not destabilize the economy and the ending of Glass Steagal had nothing to do with Bush
The explosion had been happening since the nineties the housing bubble had existed and grew since Russia went bankrupt and foreign capital rushed in
>>
>>84078621

Actually they were started by Reagan, but nice try.
>>
File: 1483588522123.jpg (202KB, 1276x674px) Image search: [Google]
1483588522123.jpg
202KB, 1276x674px
>quantitative easing
>moving average
>spread
>exchange

why do market terms sound like a nerdy guy dealing with a hostile prostitute?
>>
He shorted on the housing market, what don't you fucking understand?
>>
>>84075445
Fuck this lib propaganda
DUDE WE NEED MORE REGULATIONS LMAO
>>
>>84085148
>You hack the code that is distributed to them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpt7-QOGKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cruh2p_Wh_4
>The president with all these security measures would stay in a bugged hotel even if it is expected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ohz_5P2Uc
>Speculation
>Speculation
>Paid reporting is good
>Does not understood business or basic logic
>And vast conspiracy of killings to finish it off
Holy shit you suck at this
>>
>>84075445
In the poster and in every preview and commercial I've seen Steve Carrell is doing that same stupid face. Like what is he trying to convey? Fucking diarrhea?
>>
>>84085347
Where were you talking about 2003?
>>84078621 ?
In response to someone obviously referring to the housing crisis?

The fuck are you talking about?

And the dotcom bubble burst was 1999 and had already stabilized. As for how it was used as a talking point to excuse cutting taxes for Exxon and billionaires and shit, sure, that's why they did it.
>They were not cut during a period of economic growth, but instead during the early 2000s recession
That was a well-handled economic bubble imploding. The gdp growth slowed but it wasn't disasterous, being a young industry losing its footing and not the fucking housing market tanking the global economy. And the cuts and deregulation they did had a whole lot more with propping up their sponsors, with essentially no republican action taken to curb the economic effects of dotcom bubble.
>Cutting taxes during recession is something done since Kennedy
And raising them back up during growth or wartime is something done since anytime Republicans haven't been President.

and Kennedy cut the tax rate from the postwar 91% to 70% on top earners.

Bush cut it to 35%, with so many loopholes and benefits that it was functionally zero for some of the biggest corporations and highest earners in the world. False equivalence.
>And no 2003 tax cuts did not destabilize the economy
yes huh
>and the ending of Glass Steagal had nothing to do with Bush
didn't say it did. Other than that it was a bill passed by his party that he publicly supported before and during his presidency.
>The explosion had been happening since the nineties the housing bubble had existed and grew since Russia went bankrupt and foreign capital rushed in
That was certainly a factor. We're not talking about how the bubble started though, we're talking about the violent means by which it popped.
>>
File: dead.jpg (49KB, 500x478px) Image search: [Google]
dead.jpg
49KB, 500x478px
>>84076100
>>84076424
>>84076437
>>84076579
>>84076701
>>84076807
>>84076841
>>84076985
>>84077287
Some people just can't admit when they're in the wrong
>>
>>84086027
You know you could just watch the movie and find out
>>
>>84085803
>DUDE FREE MARKET LMAO
>>
>>84086193
The Bush tax cuts happened in 2001- 2003 in response to the early 2000s recession
If I was referring to the 08 events I would call it the great recession
If I was referring to the 08 events I would call it the great recession
>>
>>84086193
>>84086372
You absolutely worthless piece of talking points
>>
>>84086193
The bubble did not burst in 1999 it had not burst in the US until 2002-2003
Enron (2001) is the earliest point of deflation
The debate about war time taxes is completely irrelevant to discussing tax policies impact on the housing bubble
>>
File: WL002765.png (911KB, 628x1024px) Image search: [Google]
WL002765.png
911KB, 628x1024px
>>84085997
>reeee the post
lol at least nobody will ever call your cognitive dissonance tryhard.
>Holy shit you suck at this
said the gal that literally didn't make a single argument.
>The president with all these security measures would stay in a bugged hotel even if it is expected
The president didn't stay in the hotel room when it was bugged did he? Trump did. And this isn't an argument. The expectation among any diplomat in Russia, even with Presidential Secret Service tier security, that attempts are being made to listen to you. Trump doesn't grasp that. Trump didn't have a Secret Service detail sweeping his room in 2013.
>Paid reporting is good
As opposed to? How is this an argument?
>Does not understood business or basic logic
Not an argument.
>And vast conspiracy of killings to finish it off
Yeah it's Russian spycraft. Not sure how saying that it can't be real because people died is an argument.

>Holy shit you suck at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbMWdIjArg0
You can be the best in the world at convincing yourself that it'll be ok. I can be the worst at clearly laying out the case against the sitting President currently being made by the intelligence bureaucracy. Doesn't matter in the long run. This is just idle banter in the middle of an explosion.

And even ignoring the legitimacy of the Steele dossier, Trump committed then confessed to obstruction of justice over the investigation related to the Steele dossier. Dumbass signed his own resignation letter with that.
>>
File: 1493848226040.jpg (241KB, 1078x963px) Image search: [Google]
1493848226040.jpg
241KB, 1078x963px
>>84076342

>He states smugly, crossing his cargo pants-laden legs. The new balance sneakers were a nice compliment to his crooked wire framed glasses.
>>
>>84086713
My god how pathetic
An Israeli who cant even argue a case
>>
File: IMG_1292.jpg (65KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1292.jpg
65KB, 1024x512px
Are you retarded OP? It's pretty obviously about the 2008 housing crisis. Investors were cashing in on collateralized debt obligations loaned out by big banks and they started betting on mortgages, not realizing the amount of fraud going on in the housing market at the time, with mortgages going belly up by the thousands and banks not realizing that they wouldn't have the money to pay off the bonds investors were buying by the fucking pound. The protagonists realize this and short the entire housing market, and right as the banks realize it's too late, they're JUSTed and the economy collapses while the proverbial manlets come out of the recession quite literally recession proof
>>
File: IMG_0651.jpg (39KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0651.jpg
39KB, 396x382px
>>84076342
>claims to have a prodigious intellect
>pleb
>not plebs
You have the intellectual capabilities of a tub of Bobby Bacala's lard, and nice reddit spacing
>>
File: AA027448.png (722KB, 839x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AA027448.png
722KB, 839x1024px
>>84086519
>The debate about war time taxes is completely irrelevant to discussing tax policies impact on the housing bubble
It had a significant effect on the global economic recession and the government's ability to stimulate the economy and blunt the effect without ousted contrarian Republicans reeeeing about the national debt the second they lose power.

And also wait a goddamn second here you fucking revisionist dickheads.
>>84086372
The dotcom bubble popping was absolutely 1999 and 2000. By 2001 everything was doing fine. Until a little thing called, maybe you heard of it, 9/11. Nobody was making the argument during the tax cuts that it was in response to the tech bubble collapsing, and none of the measures did anything about the tech bubble collapsing. Calling me revisionist, where you even alive in 2000?
>>
File: OhFuck.png (89KB, 332x269px) Image search: [Google]
OhFuck.png
89KB, 332x269px
>>84075445
>Went out of their way to mention one of the good guys was Jewish
>All the evil bankers weren't
>>
File: IMG_1334.jpg (114KB, 800x850px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1334.jpg
114KB, 800x850px
>>84086883
best explanation yet thanks anon
>>
>>84086827
Clearly argued my case.

An israeli? That's the best you're capable of? What does that even mean? The Israeli government was largely shilling for Trump.
>>
>>84087062
http://money.cnn.com/2001/11/26/economy/recession/
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2009/08/what_kind_of_recession_was_200
https://etfdailynews.com/2015/05/13/when-did-the-stock-market-crash-a-list-of-u-s-markets-worst-declines-dow-jones/
Nothing was doing fine in 2001 you fucking idiot
It was bursting in 2001 peaking in 2003
Also in no way was the government limited in economic stimulus by the bush tax cuts
Considering most of it was the fed
>>
>>84087243
Literally means an actual Israeli or often using an Israel ip
What was your case remind me
>>
>>84078587
they're just happening fags who have never worked a day in their lives
>>
>>84078587
With that bailout we're only set up for a bigger one.
>>
File: AA049685.png (912KB, 968x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AA049685.png
912KB, 968x1024px
>>84087272
>Nothing was doing fine in 2001 you fucking idiot
Generally everything was fine in 2001. Tech crashed. It was a hyperinflated market new market that tanked. It did cause a recession. It did not cause or require "throw trillions in revenue away with toxic tax cuts and deregulation for megacorporations" measures to be taken, and then never re-raising when the economy rebounds.

And even if you want to argue about why you think they where passed, that doesn't have anything to do with the negative effects that they had.
>Also in no way was the government limited in economic stimulus by the bush tax cuts
Yes it was. You can't cut taxes more after you've already functionally cut them to zero m8. That clearly limited one potential means of economic stimulus available when the global economy tanked. We don't even need to go into the conservative reeeing for austerity that used the public debt and deficit spending as the primary cause for action against government economic stimulus.
>>
File: cringing girl.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
cringing girl.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>84076342
>but don't worry, the struggle of being a genius among pleb is something I have always struggled with, I grew accustomed to it by now
>>
>>84087347
>Literally means an actual Israeli or often using an Israel ip
ok but I'm not an actual or otherwise Israeli and I'm not using an Israel ip.
>What was your case remind me
Are you having a seizure?
>>
>>84075445
>they're just going to blame it on minorities and colored people
>10 seconds pass
>Steve carroll looks into the camera and says the line again
Really baked my ziti
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.