[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROME

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13

File: rome.jpg (929KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
929KB, 3008x2000px
How on earth could they cancel it after just two seasons?

Recently rewatched it and there's nothing that closely compares to it...

I'm in desperate needs for some high quality Roman Kino, what are /tv/'s suggestions?
>>
Is there any good Historical Accurate Kino out there? I have seen stuff like Rome, Waterloo etc.
>>
peak HBO was rome, deadwood and the wire.

it's starz tier trash now
>>
I just started watching the starz Sparticus. It's aiight
>>
>>83974724
Centurion. Plot is a bit lacking

I've found a miniseries for I,Claudius at the library a while ago. Should be interesting enough
>>
I Claudius, it basically picks up where Rome leaves off , not as visually spectacular maybe but great plot.
>>
>>83974724
I think part of the set burned down and it cost too much to rebuild. I might be wrong.

>>83974754
I, Claudius
Horatio Hornblower
Sharpe
>>
>>83974724
>How on earth could they cancel it after just two seasons?

HBO directors looked at it and said 'There's no market for a high budget historical/fantasy series'. They then proceeded to spend 50 million on a high budget historical/fantasy series that went on to become their most popular show of all time (GoT). Fucking idiots.

>>83974873
>I think part of the set burned down and it cost too much to rebuild. I might be wrong.

That was a few years later when they were considering relaunching it.
>>
>>83974724

They probably (((shut it down))) when they realized it may redpill too many normies about our own civs impending doom
>>
couldn't they just use some of that game of thrones money to continue it?

once got is finished they surely need something new
>>
>>83974916
How would it do that when it was set at the end of the Roman Republic, 450 years before the collapse of the Roman Empire. That would be like looking for clues to our own collapse in Macbeth.
>>
>>83974907
Yeah having recently compared those 2 series the obvious difference is fantasy larping with dragons n sheit vs semi accurate and embellished historical role playing. Idiots or pure genius?
>>
File: timo the jew.jpg (77KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
timo the jew.jpg
77KB, 300x450px
>>83974975
timon went full shoah in the season 3 script so they had to shut it down
>>
>>83974724
It wasn't as perfect as people make it to be. Still pretty good tho.

The thirteen bros had ridiculous amounts of plot armor.
>>
>>83975059
stfu you pleb
>>
I rewatched it too recently and I love it.

Titus and Vorenus story just holds something special and the end always gives me feels
>>
>>83975068
J. Caesar even jokes about their retarded good luck. He says something like he should get them killed but that'll probably bring the anger of the gods or some shit.
>>
>>83975059
I think the problem was that the show tried too hard to link all its plot threads together. It has the opposite problem to GoT, where no attempt has been made to write a cohesive story so far. So Vorenus and Pullo show up under the most contrived circumstances at the most important events in Roman history. It should just have let them be their own separate thing. Comfy bro shenanigans + Roman politics and history with Vorenus and Pullo more as bystanders. But the writers said this themselves and probably would have fixed this if there had been a Season 3.
>>
File: 14369756544.jpg (68KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
14369756544.jpg
68KB, 500x700px
Can anybody tell me if The Last Kingdom is worth watching?
>>
>>83974724
I, Claudius is mandatory viewing if that's what you're looking for.
It'll probably make you search out the couple different radio dramas and all the books, too. Jacobi plays Augustus in one of the radio dramas which is bizarre to hear and he also narrates some or all of the Robert Grave novels if you want to listen to it in the car.

The Caesars was really good too, but covered pretty much the same range of time as I, Claudius, though shorter and less dramatic, more realistic imo.

I never watched many Roman inspired movies besides Caligula. Caught Imperium: Augustus by mistake and enjoyed it a good bit but nowhere near any of the series though. 2003 or 4 movie, has Peter O'Toole as Augustus which was enough for me, really.

>>83975793
Yeah. It's not historically accurate with dates/events/time/people, but it gets the feel right I think. More than Vikings did, and I think Butchard is simply a stronger tv writer.
Just one spoilery word of advice, don't get attached to Rutger Hauer's character. I'm still upset he had so little time, why make him Ravn fuck.
>>
spartacus is fucking great
it's more obviously cheesy tits and blood but once the plot kicks in it's A+
>>
>>83976200
I preferred Spartacus to Rome, Its a wild fucking ride of pure joy and a 10/10 finale.
>>
>>83974724
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26zPWGfZSdg
>Vorenus
>Pullo
>Marc-Anthony

that triumvirat of bros
Octavian is a cunt
>>
>>83974870
Second. It's got some great acting in it and it'll definitely hold your attention. I miss that old way of shooting shows.
>>
>>83974724
there is this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0864944/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1221224/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403759/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

>>83976200
I thought the first season and mini series was good. Seasons 2 and 3 kind of felt lacking.

>>83976169
thanks
>>
>>83976200
John Hannah owns that show. Best character ever
>>
File: polly_walker_rome.jpg (18KB, 430x243px) Image search: [Google]
polly_walker_rome.jpg
18KB, 430x243px
>Come on in you silly goose!

what do
>>
>>83974873
Patrician tastes anon. I'd also add the Three Kingdoms (Chinese).
>>
>>83974766
>the wire
produced bv a kike for White liberals to feel good about themselves
>>
>>83974724
HBO fucked up by partnering with BBC and overblown the budget.

I mean, where the fucking budget went? It's quality, but Rome was known for doing the "we're not gonna show the battles because that's expensive". I think there was more behind-the-scenes drama that that we know of.

If HBO really wants those Rome and Deadwood films they need to hurry the fuck up before the actors start getting really odl.
>>
>>83975401
They did their own thing for most of the second season though
I never had a problem with them being there because each had a pretty personal relationship with /theirguy/ and would always be there to support when called
Octavian for being a cold bastard actually liked Pullo more than Pullo did in return
Vorenus and Anthony's relationship was also great in that they were so different
Both really touching
>>
I read HBO feels pretty stupid about cancelling it once they saw the DVD sales and now how long its remained popular. But they took a decent amount of the actors and just moved them into GOT
>Brutus is still the eternal failure to be manipulated by other family members
>Vorenus' wife is still a dumb bitch who ruins everything
>>
File: The Antagonists.jpg (57KB, 371x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Antagonists.jpg
57KB, 371x500px
>>83974724
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081900/
>>
>>83974907
>tfw Purefoy told McKidd it felt like GoT "stole their/our show"
>no Purefoy appearance in GoT ever
>kinda fell into middling tier movie hell since
Is Hap and Leonard any good? The cast looks great but the seasons are so short I kinda want to wait for the series to end and binge it all but I'm getting impatient.
>>
>>83974724
the expensive set burned down
>>
File: uhtred.png (258KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
uhtred.png
258KB, 512x512px
>>83975793
Last Kingdom is based. Give it a watch
>>
>>83974724
BBC pulled out and HBO didn't want to foot the bill solo.
>>
>>83976169
>Ravn
HOLY FUCK IT WAS RUTGER HAUER
Thats why this character was so motherfucking great despite having fuckall screentime
>>
>>83974724
I Claudius. It's even better.
>>
>>83978493
can't find any torrents
>>
>>83978335
>I AM UTHRED SON OF UHTRED. I WAS BORN A SAXON LORD BUT RAISED A DANE BLAH BLAH BLAH DESTINY IS ALL
>>
>>83978669
>forgetting the "Ohwhaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaheeeeee heeeheehehehehehehe Ohwaaaaaaaa heeeeeeiioo heheheheheh eioooooooooohooohhoohohohaaaaaaheeeeeeeihoooo"
>>
>>83978507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfxt9zKeNL4
>>
>>83976844
>Three Kingdoms (Chinese)
>>
File: 1496703223455.jpg (153KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496703223455.jpg
153KB, 1280x720px
GAIUS
JULIUS
CAESAR
>>
>>83979140
A TRUE ROMAN THREAD
FOR TRUE ROMANS
>>
>>83977480
Season 1 was great

Season 2 was yt be raycis n sheeit, couldn't finish it
>>
Pretty good thread for once.
>>
>>83979205
KINDLY PROVIDED BY THE GUILD OF SHITPOSTERS
>>
File: 1366791645618.jpg (36KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1366791645618.jpg
36KB, 340x340px
>>83976893
>tfw the actors for based Cy and Richardson died
>no more Tolliver scheming
>no more Farnum and Richardson interactions
>>
>>83978467
It's like Ian McShane's appearance in Game of Thrones.
Rutger was probably too expensive but it still felt like a waste, good as he is. Really wish he did more series.

>>83979223
Bummed to hear about season 2, different writer or something? Seems pretty bad for a 6episode per season show take a dive that quickly if I'm planning on binging.

>>83979312
Powers Boothe fucking died?!
That fucking slipped me by, apparently.
>Cardiac arrest while also having pancreatic cancer
Jesus christ.
>>
File: mary tyler moore.gif (870KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
mary tyler moore.gif
870KB, 400x275px
>>83979423
It was like a month ago or so and iirc the faggot mods didn't pin a thread like they didn't for Mary Tyler Moore.
>>
>>83974870
This. If you liked Rome for the history and the plotting, alliances etc, then nothing comes close to I, Claudius
>>
File: based-auggie.jpg (8KB, 208x193px) Image search: [Google]
based-auggie.jpg
8KB, 208x193px
>>83979467
>>83974870
I felt bad for Augustus when he found out his daughter was a dirty slut. ;_;
>>
>>83979499
reminds me, the only bit of dialogue i hated in that was "I COULDN'T BEAR IT, I COULDN'T BEAR IT".
for some reason the writers like that line apparently. both his daughter(when he locked her in her room) and whats her face, the chick picard NTR'd from posthumous when picard said he'd have to leave her.

they both had such grating voices when they shouted it just stuck out as one of the most unpleasant things i've heard on tv.

i might be autistic.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.