[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: ghost_in_the_shell_xlg.jpg (611KB, 1012x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ghost_in_the_shell_xlg.jpg
611KB, 1012x1500px
What went wrong?
>>
Scarlett just isn't that hot anymore
>>
>>83917999
>no marketing
>scarlet did shit to promote it
>cyberpunk was always box office poison minus the matrix
>>
As kojima said, it had too much to live for compared to the anime. There is no way the movie could have had much creative freedom.
>>
Poor marketing. I have no idea what went wrong, but there was very little in the way of mass awareness for it prior to release, and the fact that it was just ok and got middling-to-poor reviews didn't help much.
I would also argue that unless you wanted to take the material in a new direction, which they didn't and very clearly weren't trying to do, GitS is kind of dated. Sci-Fi is an especially saturated genre, and the plot and core themes all just feel like old hat.
>>
>>83917999
Awful marketing
Awful writing
An origin story was not the right way to go
>>
>>83917999
>let's take this well known franchise
>and let's write a plot that barely has anything to do with original while dumbing it down for average popcorn eaters
>>
>>83917999
For not seeing the anime, I enjoyed it as a visually stylish flick with a cool cyberpunk aesthetic.
I thought Batou was a interesting character.
Major herself was pretty bland and boring.
That's about it though.
Didn't care for the spider tank fight.
>>
File: 1449200849174.jpg (38KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
1449200849174.jpg
38KB, 500x471px
>lets remake the animated movie shot for shot
>but only a few certain shots people will recognize that'll look good for the trailer
>also lets leave out the story from the original and put in some watered down shit that focuses on the Major instead
>"But sir, the movie was never about the Major, it was about what it means to be huma-"
>SHUT THE FUCK UP, Americans don't want to think that hard when they watch a movie. They want explosions and something they can easily follow while they check thier facebook status on their phones every 5 minutes
>"..y...yes sir.. but can we at least cast an Asian for the role? I know several beautiful actresses that would fit this perfec-"
>No no no, are you retarded? We need a boring, plain faced white actress with no ass for this role.
>"Daisy Ridley?"
>No, who else do we got?
>>
>>83917999
I had completely low expectations, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be
>>
>>83918090
>>83918625
>>83918648
>bad marketing

what could they have done better? I was seeing ads for it everywhere
>>
>>83917999
didnt copy the animovie frame by frame.

instead went full retard with
>MUH ORIGUNAL SJW PLOT
>>
>>83918705
Hollywood.
>>
the plot was too basic and action scenes were uninteresting, plus the cyberpunk future looked tacked on instead of being a believable world
>>
File: 1490601073159.jpg (40KB, 618x349px) Image search: [Google]
1490601073159.jpg
40KB, 618x349px
>>83918827
This sounds about right.
>>
>>83917999

the plot of the movie was entirely predictable and therefore devoid of any tension

that said it has some good eye candy
>>
>>83917999
Had pacing and story, basically. And Scarjos acting, lol.
>>
>>83919436
Half the film's problem was that the best parts were shots from the original
>>
>>83919273
I literally just found out from this thread that it already came out, I had no idea it had already come out and I was actually excited about this movie since hearing about it last year, so apparently the advertising wasn't as good as it could have been. Generally you want people to know when a movie is playing in theaters.
>>
>>83917999
A lot is lost in translation.

GitS anime is film noire.

GitS movie is colorful, oversaturated, and bright. More importantly it appeals to emotion and moves way too fast.

It's faithful to the source but it just doesn't work on a few levels that would appeal to mass audiences.

Translation: Movie made for the fans.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.