[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk Cinematic Universes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 16

File: CU.jpg (367KB, 850x1272px)
CU.jpg
367KB, 850x1272px
Why is the MCU the only one that's been able to do it successfully so far?

I don't mean having the most compelling story or characters like Logan or Wonder Woman which are arguably far superior and riskier standalone projects, but in terms of keeping a consistent tone with their movies that reasonably satisfies most mainstream audiences, why can't any other universe even come close?

Fuck's sake, can we finally just answer this question? Why can't any other studio crack the formula even when following the exact same narrative structure beat for beat?
>>
>>83800769
Marvel actually did it but nearly all their movies are bland.
>>
>>83800871
The question is how though. Lot of movies are bland, Mummy 2017 is bland as shit. What makes the MCU successful and others not?
>>
Keeping a consistent tone between movies when the movies are supposed to explore different settings and themes can easily make the whole thing bland.

For example, if DC ever decide to do Justice League Dark i don't want it to have the same tone and aesthetics than something like Suicide Squad. While Suicide Squad sucked balls i love its style with the weird musics and cholo trashy look. So that's i'd rather want for JLD to be moody and tense. For example, Shazam i'd like to feel like something out of the Goonies.
>>
CinemaScores are as follows:
>Man of Steel - A-.
>Batman v Superman - B (the same as Batman Returns).
>Suicide Squad - B+
>Wonder Woman - A

Suicide Squad has an Academy Award

And of course these films all have been lucrative to Warner Brothers.
>>
Because it's Disney
>>
>>83800918
People love marvel heroes but don't like to read comics
>>
File: 1473038392528.gif (3MB, 377x372px) Image search: [Google]
1473038392528.gif
3MB, 377x372px
>>83801388
>Man of Steel - A-.
>Batman v Superman - B (the same as Batman Returns).
>Suicide Squad - B+
>>
>>83801388
Also WB doesn't have a 4 billion debt to pay either buying DC.
>>
DC has made 2.3 billions in three movies and it's probably 3 billions with WW. They are succesful as fuck
>>
>>83800769
Simple fact that the Marvel-Disney universe has been set up methodically and (reasonably) slowly. While now we get about 3 films a year from it, it took several films of set-up before Avengers came about. And it'll have been years and years between Guardians of the Galaxy's place in the EU is actually brought into the context of the Avengers.

I don't personally enjoy a lot of what they do (I've seen Iron Man 1-3, Hulk, GotG, Thor, Captain America 1, Avengers and I only liked GotG and Iron Man 1) but I have to respect them for that at least.

Also, although people say all their movies are the same and bland, of the ones I've seen I've felt like they each had very different tones. I'd say Avengers is more like Iron Man but Thor, Captain America, Hulk and GotG were all very different.
>>
>>83800769
The fuck is a dark universe
>>83800871
I feel like all of them are bland becuase the hero's struggle is by nature a bland formula
>>
File: 1482236650453.jpg (512KB, 1920x1233px) Image search: [Google]
1482236650453.jpg
512KB, 1920x1233px
>>83800769
Personally, I'm most excited about Dark Universe, even if this start is hamfisted at best. I want to see a Van Helsing movie and something about werewolves. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was interesting, too; I'd like to see his full transformation.

Also, that chick who plays the Mummy is godlike. Wood berry.
>>
>>83800769
Because it has been the first and people are not actually that hot for other shared universes they'd have to pay for.
>>
>>83801529
Yeah got half a dozen shitty origin stories all playing out the same way.

Bravo Disney!
>>
>>83801481
nice argument you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>83800769
>Wonder Woman
>risky
I know that I'm derailing, but how the hell was WW a risky project? you ok OP?
>>
>>83801694
Cocky dudes who come into great power and use it to dish out their own brand of justice resonates with the very heart and soul of America.
>>
>>83801579
want that Creature from the Black Lagoon most of all, but also werewolves too.
>>
File: C79jVtkVAAAEiKv.jpg (98KB, 751x535px) Image search: [Google]
C79jVtkVAAAEiKv.jpg
98KB, 751x535px
Don't forget what Legendary is trying to do with the giant monsters too
>>
>>83801756

It was. Warner Bros didn't even wanted to do it. Snyder had to fight for it and invest his own money on the movie.
>>
File: wonder-woman-2011_325x435.jpg (38KB, 325x435px) Image search: [Google]
wonder-woman-2011_325x435.jpg
38KB, 325x435px
>>83801756
Not op but Wonder Woman was risky as hell. It was stuck in development hell for decades because no one thought it could be adapted well enough, let alone be profitable. They tried making a series in 2011 and the pilot was steaming garbage so that turned even more people off to the idea.
>>
>Elvira not driving around in the macabre mobile recruiting the Dark Monsters to prepare against Cthulhus invasion.

ONE JOB
>>
>>83800769
where is the monster universe?
>>
>>83801827
Reminder that critics who praised WW did nothing but shit relentlessly on Snyder for being a "mishoghynist".

Poor guy. He didn't ask for this bullshit.
>>
STOP THINKING ABOUT "UNIVERSES"

TOLKIEN UNIVERSE
MARVEL UNIVERSE
ALIEN UNIVERSE WITH OR WITHOUT ALIEN 3 HURR
STAR WARS UNIVERSE DURR RUINED BY PREQUELS DERP

JESUS CHRIST YOU FAGS

STOP BEING SUCH HORRIBLE ESCAPIST CUNT

THINK OF THE STORY, THINK OF WHERE IT LEADS TO, ON THE CATHARSIS, THE EPIPHANY, THE MENTAL WEALTH, YOU CAN IGNORE ANYTHING THAT YOU LIKE AND PAY ATTENTION TO ANYTHING THAT YOU LIKE

THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT

YOU ARE GIVING THESE JEWS MONEY JUST SO THAT THEY CAN PUT YOU IN ANOTHER "UNIVERSE"

THAT SHIT AIN'T ANOTHER UNIVERSE, THOSE GUYS ARE SWIMMING IN MONEY AND YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT A FICTIONAL CONTINENT

HONESTLY, BE A FUNDAMENTALIST CREATIONIST FAGGOT, BELIEVE IN FAIRIES, WATCH ANCIENT ALIENS AND IT WILL STILL BE MORE HEALTHY TO YOU THAN THINKING OF MOVIE, BOOK AND COMIC BOOK UNIVERSES

YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN MLP FAGGOTS

WHY CAN'T YOU BE GODDAMN NORMAL? FUCK YOU MANCHILDREN, GROW UP
>>
File: Avengers.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Avengers.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>83800769
They created the formula inspired by the comics themselves. I dont mean they are being faithful to the comics I mean they adapted the comic book business model into film and were the first to do that. Everyone else is desperately trying to copy how it comes off in the movies instead of looking to the jewish greed comics have been putting readers through for decades. You need crossovers, events, guest appearances, but you have to actually establish interest in characters first which is what no one else is doing. I mean, Fox did this and is now trying to cobble together a universe when one wasnt initially planned, hilariously Fant4stic blew up in their faces because of that.

Since Marvel did it first they started slowly, obviously unsure of the idea. Everyone thought the ending tease of Iron Man was full of shit. Competing studios see a money pot and just want it instantly. Kids today literally grew up watching the MCU build. There has to be that initial audience interest in the concept
>The Avengers? No fucking way they will pull that off
Is what people thought after seeing Iron Man. They couldnt fucking comprehend seeing him in live action next to Captain America. Now that it's expected it's meaningless and a status quo. Remember that group shot Fox did for the Fantastic Four and X-Men shared universe (like that "Dark Universe group shot there) that they literally just cropped the FF out once the movie flopped? Shit's crazy.

Hope that answered your question. As a nerd I have authority on this subject, bow to me.
>>
>>83801756
Warner Brothers wanted Batman or Justice League on Wonder Woman's slot. Snyder Pushed them to see otherwise. Despite being "The Trinity" member, her comic sales are even shit compared.

WB would've given Aquaman a chance over her.
>>
>>83801898
Really? All the critics who praised it? Every last one?
>>
>>83801694
>movie has beggining middle and end
>movie has costumed character
>movie has villain
>movie has climax with hero and villain
>movie has humor
WOOOOW DISNEY FORMULA STRIKES AGAIN. Newsplash, all these marvel heroes were created by the same small circle of people. Of course the origins are similar.
>>
>>83800769
Because they're not trying to be anything other than a popcorn flick. They know what they are... capeshit, and they play to those strengths.
>>
>>83801783
a little bit different since the old jap movies were technically connected, in a way they did it first.
>>
>>83801975
It was actually kind of gutsy turning Stark into the villain in Civil War, seeing as how Iron Man/RDJ is still the main draw of a lot of these movies.
>>
>>83801495
Neither does Disney anymore. They've made almost 20 billion over the purchase cost. Toy sales, tv shows, comics, movies, it was a smart as fuck purchase.
>>
File: 1469876665255.jpg (16KB, 401x381px) Image search: [Google]
1469876665255.jpg
16KB, 401x381px
>>83802008
>newsplash

Now I'm going to start saying "news splash" instead of newsflash. Thanks.
>>
>>83800769
What about the Shyamalaverse?
>>
>>83802033
Universal did it first and that doesn't excuse this new Dark Universe shit
>>
>>83802072
Bullshit. You are confusing revenue with profit. The Dark Knight + DCEU has been more profitable to WB than MCU to Disney. Similar time span.
>>
File: 1430823553187.png (216KB, 340x400px) Image search: [Google]
1430823553187.png
216KB, 340x400px
>>83802065
>villain
ummm ok lets let these costumed freaks run around the world breaking global laws, doing whatever they want, leveling entire cities, creating their own super villains, and do nothing about it because theyre the "good guys"???? On top of that I love my mother and if I saw what he did while my best friend defended the killer, I would also go into a rage. Antagonist is a better word.
>>
>>83800769
>Why is the MCU the only one that's been able to do it successfully so far?
Because they've planned it (unlike WB).
>Wonder Woman
>most compelling story or characters
>far superior and riskier standalone project
kek
>>
>>83801447
this

Kino hierarchy
1. DC comics
2. original universal monsters
3. MCU
4. DCU
5. Marvel comics
>>
>>83802077
do it, it annoys the hell out of everyone.
>>
>>83800769
The truth is that critics are very resentful about the MCU and their success. They know those movies are undeniably well made but unoriginal and ultimately hamper Hollywood's creativity.

So when other studios try their own version of the formula, they lash out.
>>
>>83802206
>1. DC comics
>good
>they were desperate so much after new-52 that melted it with Watchmen
>>
>>83800769

Disney purposefully bully other studios into making buying the rights to franchises so they can make poor adaptations of them while making Marvel and Star Wars look successful. That's it.
>>
>>83802235
If you step outside your internet bubble most people dont actually believe that, you're just constantly told it on /tv/ which you probably browse every day. The typical film review doesn't go into detail about how Ant-Man is "hampering Hollywood's creativity" and unlike /tv/ most people couldn't give less of a shit which studio attempts what and judges them individually. As a film critic its their job to watch movies, in a sea of shit I seriously fucking doubt they care enough to "lash out" at a specific company.
>>
>>83800769
Because people know cinematic universes are Marvel's idea, so anyone else's attempt to make one is perceived as a rip-off and automatically trashed.
>>
>nigga never heard of the Hombre Lobo cinematic universe
>>
>>83802235
Critics are Marvel whores.
>>
>>83802322
Yea, thats why everyone hated Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woma-
>>
File: AAAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg (347KB, 1852x1216px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg
347KB, 1852x1216px
>>83802206
>DC comics
>>
>>83802322
You mean Universal Monsters' idea, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Monsters#Recurring_cast_and_characters
>>
>>83802206
>mfw I can't argue about marvel comics being the last after all of his sjw propaganda killing the franchise (also fuck bendis for what he did to the guardians of the galaxy)
>>
File: Sensation comics 30.jpg (575KB, 1988x1528px) Image search: [Google]
Sensation comics 30.jpg
575KB, 1988x1528px
>>83802385
Is this from that non canon sensation comics series or the actual current Wonder Woman?
Pic related from Sensation Comics, they hired a feminist author who never wrote a comic in her life.
>>
>>83802385
>Meninist terrorist

>I hate womyns because I'm insecure and full of selfloathing.
>>
>>83802433
>>83802385
How the fuck do these cunts get jobs? I can write feminist stuff better than that. This is just full of memes and buzzwords, even from a feminist standpoint.
>>
>>83802479
The standards are lower for that series since its online only and very short. But idk
>>
File: 1496678706420.jpg (23KB, 367x420px) Image search: [Google]
1496678706420.jpg
23KB, 367x420px
Cinemassacre shared universe when?
>>
>>83802385
Is that real? And further more, if it is, is the writer retarded
>>
>>83802385
>>83802461
That makes no sense.
That man wouldn't know for a fact that his own insecurity and self-loathing are his true motivations.
>>
>>83802147
>The Dark Knight + DCEU has been more profitable to WB than MCU to Disney
non
>>
>>83801783
At least they're keeping that fairly limited. G'14, Skull Island, King of the Monsters, KvG, and then that's it. Honestly, that's really all I want from them.
>>
File: 14651231857512s.jpg (13KB, 270x260px) Image search: [Google]
14651231857512s.jpg
13KB, 270x260px
>>83801388
>DCucks bring up Suicide Squad's Academy Award
>Conveniently leave off that it's for Best Makeup

wew
>>
>>83801505
3 out of 4 under performed
>>
File: 555 come on now.jpg (9KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
555 come on now.jpg
9KB, 240x200px
>>83802147
>tdk trilogy unadjusted worldwide gross: $2.46 billion
>dceu unadjusted worldwide gross: $2.575 billion
>mcu unadjusted worldwide gross: $11.737 billion
>>
>>83802892
What's the net?
>>
File: hey alright.webm (187KB, 600x255px) Image search: [Google]
hey alright.webm
187KB, 600x255px
>>83802988
What's it matter? The difference is $6.7 b-b-b-billion.

I can't be fucked to look up production and marketing budgets for all the goddamn Marvel movies to prove an obvious point. Actually it's right http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Marvel-Cinematic-Universe#tab=summary

mcu production expenses so far: $2.7 billion. Go ahead and throw another billion on there and round up for marketing. Fuck it make it $5 billion make it $6. That's still more pretty much more profit than DCEU and TDK's total revenue.

DCEU on the other hand, has spent about $1 billion in production budgets so far and total gross is only $2.5

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/DC-Extended-Universe#tab=summary
>>
The concept that singlehandedly killed cinema for good
>>
>>83803488
Maybe if you're an idiot and only consume soulless multi million dollar films.
>>
>>83803488
>movies become serials
>tv becomes cinematic and experimental
it'll all work out
>>
>>83802532
DELET
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.