[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Trek Discovery (also /trek/ thread)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 256
Thread images: 53

File: discovery.png (178KB, 1005x497px) Image search: [Google]
discovery.png
178KB, 1005x497px
Is anyone else actually excited for this? Uniforms look pretty cool, the bridge design is also pretty comfy. The trailer didn't jam diversity too much, either.

Only complaint is the really, really shitty klingons.
>>
>>83781996

No. I'm not exited, I'm more exited about Orville, at least we will get a Trek parody made by people that care about Trek.
>>
File: CIC.png (679KB, 1095x654px) Image search: [Google]
CIC.png
679KB, 1095x654px
> Uniforms look pretty cool,

Those are uniforms that fail to accomplish what uniforms are meant to accomplish. Rank insignia is supposed to be seen easily enough that you can recognize it... in STD it is tiny metallic dots on metallic background. Complimented by bronze-gold that are hard to differentiate. Uniforms fail in basic functions of uniform before in getting into practicality and lack pockets in Trek uniforms.

>the bridge design is also pretty comfy.

Bridge looks like shit and they use lens flares to cover it. I don't mind it not looking like TOS bridge, I'm just triggered by it's shitty and impractical design. There are reasons why combat information centers of warships look like those do. It is better than Apple shop Jar Jar had, but it is still bad.
>>
it'll be watched but I'm not getting my hopes up
>>
>>83781996
Looks like total shit and tries too hard to follow the action star trek thing rather than focusing on what star trek does best, wacky space adventures with great characters trying to solve strange dilemmas of the week.
>>
>>83781996
>the really, really shitty everything
ftfy
>>
>>83781996
>Asian female in charge of the ship
It's a joke, right?
>>
>>83781996
Anything is better than Abram's Star trek
>>
Star Trek? More like Shit Trek
>>
I'm excited, but that excitement will vanish instantly if it is bad when it comes out or Michelle Yeoh dies in the first episode to "motivate" her protege. Sick of that trope.
>>
>lens flare
>slight dutch angle
>>
>>83781996
Those lens flares are jokes, photoshopped, r-right?
>>
File: 1488670378853.jpg (149KB, 1000x902px) Image search: [Google]
1488670378853.jpg
149KB, 1000x902px
>>83781996
I thought this dude was supposed to be the captain, but they legit have a woman captain and some shit woman first officer. I know enough about women to know that is going to be easily the worst command of any ship so nah not looking forward to it.

The new VR game that came out is absolutely amazing though so that will satisfy my trek needz.
>>
>>83784033
She isnt the Captain of the Discovery.
>>
can't stand the off kilter angles...
>>
>>83781996
My main issues with are small things. That bridge in op looks too dark and sombre, and the photography style is digital and ugly. I've been watching The Expanse and even though that show is dark the image pops it isn't a smear. I know the Discovery will be an ugly as shit ship and i suspect Jason Issacs will have some alien make up on given his characters name, which is a mistake. Klingons we'll see about. If they're ancient Klingons then fine, if they've actually had their look rebooted then fuck that decision. Apart from that i'm looking forward to it and don't give a shit about diversity memers.
>>
>>83784144
You're embarrassing.
>>
>>83784479
Two female command at the top lmao what do they sync their periods.
>>
File: we wuz klingons an shiet.jpg (476KB, 2048x1421px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz klingons an shiet.jpg
476KB, 2048x1421px
>>83784458
>if they've actually had their look rebooted then fuck that decision
>>
>>83784498
Please leave and return when you're 18. Or at least 13.
>>
>>83784144
>Voyager
>>
>>83781996
lets see how many gay/lesbian couples we will have
>>
>>83783893
>Looks like total shit and tries too hard to follow the action star trek thing rather than focusing on what star trek does best, wacky space adventures with great characters trying to solve strange dilemmas of the week.

This. So much this.
>>
>>83784578
There'd better be 1 at least. Way i see it, this is the future of humanity we're seeing, so if they have no gay characters it raises the question where are the gays? All dead? The gay gene was wiped out in WW3? We have gays now, they should appear in a future set show or it raises logic questions.
>>
>>83781996
Everyhing about the trailer was fuck awful.
>>
I'm a bit disappointed that they've decided to set the show prior to TOS.

Why aren't they creating any shows set after the period of TNG/DS9/Voyager?
>>
>>83784956
because that's what real fans want and they don't care about us, they want new autistic fans who are swayed by lens flares and pew pew lazerz!!
>>
>>83781996
>the bridge design is also pretty comfy
>The floor looks like it has a 30 degree tilt and everything is covered in blinding lights

Looks real uncomfy desu.
>>
>>83784479
You're fedora tipping.
>>
Wait, what? Those things are klingons?

Also, they're advertising it all wrong, I want to hear them debating science mumbo-jumbo and talking ethics, trying to negotiate between different people. What is this action bullshit? This isn't Measure of a Man...
>>
>>83783417
Yeah, but how in the fuck do you drag Trek tropes out for an entire season? Galaxy Quest worked because they were all crammed into 2 hours.
>>
>>83784677
>I never saw TOS the post
>>
>>83785240
Yes, "ancient Klingons". Stupid as Klingons only got space travel in the 14th century after they fought off an invasion attempt.

Never mind a centuries old ship being able to pose a threat to the Discovery means contemporary Klingon vessels should be unstoppable.
>>
>>83785441
i havent really watched it really but in enterprise dont humans go from no warp to fighting klingons romulans and shit in like 100 years?
>>
>>83785594
150 years from first contact to the launch of the NX-01, so warp 5. Assuming the Klingons followed a similar rate of development when it really should be more, the ship in std is from the 1550s, so is so 850 years old at the earliest and is still able to fuck up contemporary Starfleet ships. This also means that contemporary Klingon ships should be 850 years more advanced, making them temporal cold war levels of tech.

God damn std is fucking the timeline hard.
>>
>>83781996
Yes, it looks better than I thought it would. I was worried it was going to be an absolute mess but, although it's just a trailer, it's definately got my attention.

Hyped for new Trek series if nothing else. Not even mad about NuKlingons.
>>
>>83784144
Heres a You for your bait, but Isaac's captain is something I'm really interested to see.
>>
File: 1494965413461.jpg (6KB, 288x216px) Image search: [Google]
1494965413461.jpg
6KB, 288x216px
>>83785767
>klingons developing their own technology
>>
>>83785441
Could it be that they're prehistoric Klingons who've been recreated via Jurassic Park style genetic engineering?

Cro Magnon humans were significantly more physically robust than modern humans, which would make for better soldiers, and given we know the Klingons fucked up their genetics with the Klingon Augment Virus in ENT, might they have an interest in resurrecting the 'pure' strain of their race from preserved cadavers like we have stone age humans from glaciers and shit?
>>
File: chakotay2[1].jpg (38KB, 400x450px) Image search: [Google]
chakotay2[1].jpg
38KB, 400x450px
>>83785767
>>83785984
>Assuming the violent space retards followed a similar rate of development
>>
File: Jew privlidge stats.png (165KB, 884x588px) Image search: [Google]
Jew privlidge stats.png
165KB, 884x588px
It's going to be the most Jewish Trek yet. Even the captain is a Jew. I'll pass. Orville looks unironically more interesting.
>>
>>83785254
You don't focus on the tropes. They could just play old Star Trek episodes straight but inject the "what would happen if everyone here was a really shitty Starfleet officer?" and you've got 20 seasons worth of material easy.

Galaxy quest was a very different story, that's about actors pretending to be Starfleet, they didn't know anything, just how to pretend to look like they do. These guys have had all the lessons Starfleet personnel get, they know a lot of the important stuff, they just suck.

That's what I got from the trailer anyway.
>>
File: 1481499637898.gif (415KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1481499637898.gif
415KB, 500x332px
>>83786120
>stormweenies have created their own version of the Bechdel test to ree about
>>
>>83786220
Frankly that's one of the parts that interested me about Orville. Star Trek has always followed the elite crews, usually on the Federation flagship or similarly first-rate vessels.

Seeing a bunch of low-end crewmen on an old ship trying to do the same thing is a cool idea.
>>
>>83786221
>unironically citing the Bechdel test
>>
>>83786120
Look up how many jews are top of the class. Most of them score pretty low. I wouldnt be surprised if Einstein stole the plans for the atom bomb and used them to migrate to America.
>>
>>83781996
No, looks like JJ Trek. I'm pretty sick of pre TOS timeline too.
>>
>>83784144
He's the captain but not a main character, that's been known for a long time but shills continue to deny it because I think they've noticed that the core fanbase isn't going to be interested in a Star Trek with no straight white men.
>>
>>83785984
Klingons have engineers, doctors, gardeners and janitors. It's only the glory obsessed warriors who run the empire.
>>
>>83786311
>reeeee to many jews in muh media
>reeeee to few wimmin in muh media

I'm not seeing your point, it's a valid comparison. Equally retarded criteria to grade the value of film/tv for.
>>
I'm excited, just like I'm excited for the JJ movies. I was excited for Enterprise too. Trek's biggest enemy is the fanbase who just want more of their Star Trek but that is widely defined and personalised. I think DS9 is the best Trek followed closely by TNG, but some people think DS9 isn't real Trek etc.
>>
>>83785987
Will Alejandro be serving chili and gagh?
>>
>>83784956

There are a bunch of reasons, Voyager poisoned the well for a start. Then you have Star Trek Online which would lead to some licensing issues and you also have Romulus being destroyed, though I think that is a good thing.
>>
>>83786221
>stormweenies
Jidf codeword.
>>
>>83785767

I always got the impression Klingon's stole their technology, like the Hurq invaded them and they were way more fierce than expected, stole their technology and adapted it. I dunno if I picked that up from some stupid bullshit non-canon stuff though.
>>
>>83786013
This is the only way they could spin it without a retcon but it seems like too much of an ass pull. There is no honour in wasting centuries of weapons advantage over the petaqs.
>>
>>83786598
That is what happened, that was the 14th century failed invasion I was talking about.
>>
>>83786655
KREE!
>>
>>83786555
>Romulus being destroyed, though I think that is a good thing
Cancer. JJ destroyed the franchise more thoroughly than Voyager ever could have.
>>
>>83786789
Oh fuck, std is going to be Nemesis in episode form.
>>
>>83786807

How? The last movie was absolutely awful and bombed hard, not even Trek fans saw Nemesis. Then you had Enterprise which ended up with about 1/4 of the viewers of the premiere within 2 seasons, only recovering for the final season when it turned into the show people wanted it to be.
>>
>>83786904
>How?
By meeting their goal of getting normies to watch Star Trek by turning it into something labelled as Star Trek with nothing in common with the original, now every Star Trek is going to do that and suck ass.
>>
>>83786965
Seth actually watched Star Trek that's why.
>>
>>83786462
Yes, they do have all of those things but their technology moves at a snail's pace (if at all) depending on the disposition of the High Council which as you have said, is dominated by the Empire's warriors.

Most of their great technological leaps have come at the expense of other races they have met and eventually conquered. It's a pretty solid foundation of their basic Trek canon.
>>
>>83784033
>>83784144
>>83784498
>>83784578
>>83786120
>>83786221
>>83786311
>>83786503
>>83786565
>>83786655
only good posts itt
>>
>>83787168
Good post.
>>
>>83787261
>comparing a first-party official trailer with a third-party unofficial trailer
You're a Pakled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
>5,405,779 views
>>
>>83787528
>This video is not available.
>Sorry about that.
That's why.
>>
>>83787261
OH OH THAT WENT SOUTH SO FAST!
>>
>>83787528
an unofficial trailer that doesnt even appear to exist anymore
>>
>>83787528
Don't fucking call that guy a Pakled or you'll have me to deal with, chum.
>>
My biggest complaint is how ironically overdone it looks. Reminds me of Mass Effect: Andromeda in both style and acting.

Star Trek has been done. Let it die.
>>
>>83787611
CBS are mishandling everything about this Trek series, seeing as Netflix hasn't released a trailer for international audiences that they'll be providing, I suspect blocking non-Americans from seeing it is just another symptom of their incompetency.
>>
>>83787669
star trek fans are very divided, seth macfarlene fans less so
>>
>>83787576
If you're comparing view counts then there's no excuse for using the wrong video.

>>83787611
Because CBS is run by idiots.

If you're outside of America then Netflix (the localized version for your country) has the official trailer for you.

>>83787690
Netflix has trailers, but they are also region-locked.

For example,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoV3kc05Nwc
>>
>>83787700
Seth MacFarlane is a fedora tipping shithead but his Star Trek looks better and it'll be the only one of the two I'm watching. And I suspect that description will apply to you too, why don't you like him? I thought he was friendly with SJWs too, seeing as he's in Hollywood.
>>
>>83787611
>https://streamable.com/pmp54
>>
>>83787949
Don't bother. The Netflix trailer is better than the CBS trailer.
>>
>>83787990
Eh, I prefer the CBS one.
>>
File: NO.jpg (65KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
NO.jpg
65KB, 800x450px
>>83787949
I've not watched this yet because I wasn't aware there was a way to watch it without giving them (You)s. Here we go.

PAUSE
HOLD UP

So what do they mean by this? Is it 10 years before any of them were in place (as in 10 years before The Cage), or is it 10 years before the three of them were together in TOS, which would mean The Enterprise is out there with Spock aboard and has been for a year at least. I thought people were saying that it'll be fine since it has Le Epic Khaaaaaan Director working on it?
>>
>>83787741
Do Aussies feel guilty about systematically slaughtering abos? You didnt even try to enslave them, you just went out and killed as many as possible
>>
>>83788240
>Le Epic Khaaaaaan Director
Are you actually trying to say that you don't like TWoK's director, or are you just fishing for (You)s here?
>>
>>83788294
Go look him up in the archive, every time anyone suggested this series had no real Trek names working on it, he was brought up. You were saying he would make it great, explain yourselves based on this evidence I have presented you.
>>
>>83788359
>every time anyone suggested this series had no real Trek names working on it, he was brought up.
Why does this upset you? You said something wrong, so it's only natural that someone corrects you.
>You were saying he would make it great
He might and he might not. Wait and see.
>>
>>83788446
No, this is proof that you were wrong. Meyer is a hack and couldn't prevent them from basing the premise of the series on an incorrect idea. Meyer is not a Star Trek name, he is a hack normie director that they got on the cheap to make some movies that were great due to great writing by real Star Trek names.
>>
>>83788359
My only gripe with him is he makes Starfleet/the Federation way too militarized for my liking.
>>
>>83788527
>Meyer is not a Star Trek name
Casual, get out.

>he is a hack normie director that they got on the cheap to make some movies that were great due to great writing by real Star Trek names.
In addition to being the director of II and VI, Meyer is also the screenplay writer for II, IV and VI.
>>
File: WRONG.jpg (74KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
WRONG.jpg
74KB, 800x450px
And now that that's sorted, let's continue.

>>83788240
>Play
>We don't have a map

STOP
BACK THIS SHIT UP

Did you get magiced here by Q? No, you have a space ship and you were in orbit before you arrived. Why would you not record any information about it before beaming down? Why don't you ask the crew aboard it where to go? Where is the rest of the away team? This is why you don't let women or non-whites into Starfleet.
>>
>>83788663
>This is why you don't let women or non-whites into Starfleet.
Your posts were going so well but then you fumbled at a crucial moment.
>>
>>83788642
Wow, that seems really cold-hearted. I expect Aussies to smile, offer vegemite sandwiches, and wield larger knives than ones I present, not to be unapologetic abo-slaughtering monsters.
>>
>>83788650
>Reddit tourists telling actual fans to get out
I bet you don't even know what a screenplay is. And feel free to address the rest of my post any time.
>>
The Nick Meyer shill (probably Nick-nick himself) is getting BTFO, finally
>>
File: 1478367415068.png (301KB, 680x490px) Image search: [Google]
1478367415068.png
301KB, 680x490px
>>83788287
>Aussies
I don't like it when colonies take credit for our genocides just because you we let you declare independence later.

>Indians: 0
>Abbos: 0
>Britain: 2

>>83788702
Man up.
>>
>>83784079
Oh, snap!
>>
>>83788806
Good points well-made.
>>
desu a captain worf series post voyager would be 1000x better than this garbage discovery shit
>>
>>83788742
>>There's nobody from old Trek involved in new Trek!
>There's Nick Meyer.
>>He doesn't count because he's just a director, not a writer!
>He wrote the three greatest screenplays.
>>Screenplays don't count for some reason!
These goalposts are moving at warp speed.

>Go look him up in the archive, every time anyone suggested this series had no real Trek names working on it, he was brought up.
If Nick Meyer isn't good enough for you, there's also Joe Menosky.

I have very low hopes for STD, but let's at least evaluate it on its own merits instead of making up complete bullshit about it.
>>
>>83784510
>Prominent brow
>Exaggerated wide nose and nostrils
>Exaggerated fullness of lips
>Exaggerated darkness of skin
>Generally hostile and aggressive demeanor

How is this not blatant racism?
>>
>>83788940
The irony being they probably went in this direction to avoid cries of racism as Klingons of this time are whites in blackface.
>>
>>83788928
See my original post which you must have skimmed or been too retarded to understand

>>83788527
>Meyer is not a Star Trek name, he is a hack normie director that they got on the cheap to make some movies that were great due to great writing by real Star Trek names

There are no Star Trek names working on STD, just the two memes who neither watch nor care about Star Trek.

>>>Screenplays don't count for some reason!
Feel free to google Screenplay at any time, or even just notice that there are "Writer" credits too and see if your brain can work out what a screenplay writer does if there are writers too.
>>
>>83789080
>There are no Star Trek names working on STD
How is Joe Menosky not a Star Trek name?
>>
File: Shenzou.png (2MB, 915x1682px) Image search: [Google]
Shenzou.png
2MB, 915x1682px
>>83781996
Thoughts on the USS Shenzou design? I think it looks pretty neat actually. Like a spinoff of the NX class.
>>
>>83788940
I bet you think Ferengi are EXACTLY LIKE jews too...
>>
>>83783893
>>83784659
So it's DS9.
>>
>>83781996
>the bridge design is also pretty comfy.

uhhh wtf it looks like a set from The Voice or Ameican Idol.
>>
>>83789135
Show your miniatures collection.
>>
File: 1491682075780.jpg (97KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491682075780.jpg
97KB, 1280x1024px
>all this SJW shit.

I bet Q doesn't give a fuck about humanity in this timeline.

Why would he?
>>
>>83789192
Oh you don't want to see that...
>>
>>83789135
for once the bridge isn't in a retarded location nice. I was worried when I saw the original concepts for the ship but that looks like an akira class mixed with an NX kinda neet desu
>>
>>83789135
The upside down bridge is retarded and the viewscreen being a window is pure jj shit.
>>
>>83789254
>I was worried when I saw the original concepts for the ship
This is a different ship. It will probably blow up in the pilot, and then the series will switch to the USS Discovery.
>>
>>83789254
The bridge anywhere but deep in the core is retarded placement. This is just special snowflake placement.
>>
>>83789270
>implying it's not practical in case their cameras and sensors go offline like in Wrath
>>
>>83789152
No, the Ferengi are likeable.
>>
>>83789270
You're shit.
>>
File: Favourites.jpg (275KB, 1435x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Favourites.jpg
275KB, 1435x1080px
>>83789209
Why would you pick a literal (actual, seriously, not jokingly) cuckhold as your Doctor though?

And how would Barclay be an alien?

I'll give you an 'Eject your phaser banks immediately and we promise not to destroy you' out of ten
>>
>>83789447
So's your face.
>>
File: 1484844820813.gif (2MB, 442x222px) Image search: [Google]
1484844820813.gif
2MB, 442x222px
>>83789209
>Phlox as best doctor
>ENT has best uniforms
>>
>>83789449
They were clean.
>>
File: Uss_vengenace.jpg (290KB, 2000x1208px) Image search: [Google]
Uss_vengenace.jpg
290KB, 2000x1208px
>>83789270
How is having it under the saucer retarded and having it on top isn't? It makes zero difference in spehs.

Now this is retarded.
>>
>>83789429
>A hand phaser can cause explosive decompression and kill your entire command crew

What you said is why you have an observation deck.
>>
>>83788716
Our teenagers are like anywhere else in the world. Edgy and witless.
>>
>>83789449
>Ejectable phaser banks

The French don't build starships.
>>
>>83781996
nope looks like nuTrek with SJW overtones with star wars action. not interested.
>>
>>83784498
The didn't have female captains in Kirk's time. And this show takes place when Pike was the cptain. BEFORE KIRK!!!
>>
>>83789609
They both are retarded and massively vulnerable. Changing the Star Trek standard just reeks of special snowflake.

Admiral Robocops ship is utterly retarded in every way other than being designed with automation in mind. Did we ever get a size comparison on that thing? With the jjprise nacelle being bigger than a galaxy class it must have been insanely huge.
>>
>>83789686
They can put all their phaser power cells in the airlock, and those are our demands.
>>
>>83783745
The bridge will always suck in Star Trek because Star Trek ships are treated like fucking boats. Is the bridge really at the top of the saucer? That's an awesome way to get your command destroyed as fast as possible.

No ST will ever have a proper CIC
>>
>>83789751
Correcting yourself doesn't change that you got it wrong the first time. You fail.
>>
>>83789609
>The Firefly catching a frisbee
>>
>>83789824
You have to talk simple in STD threads, it attracts tourists like (You) and the marketers don't know anything about Star Trek.
>>
Daily reminder that Battlestar Galactica had the best bridge placement right in the middle of the ship in the most protected spot.
>>
>>83789209

>NO MILES O'BRIEN

FUCK URSELF
>>
>>83789741
It's roughly twice the size of the Enterprise. Makes sense for it to be big at least, the main thing the Federation lacks in it's warships is the ability to deploy ground forces in large numbers.

Prefered it to the Defiant as a dedicated UFP warship.

But yeah, windows instead of viewscreens is just dumb and ironically, stupid even with today's technology where even small vehicles like tanks are switching over to cameras and helmet VR systems rather than viewslits with armored glass.
>>
File: trek faves template.png (50KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
trek faves template.png
50KB, 1280x1024px
>>83789209
>>83789449
>>
>>83789891
>get shit wrong
>"But it's the other person who's a tourist, not me, I swear!"
You might want to work on your narrative a little bit more.
>>
File: 1492799271716.jpg (793KB, 1920x3240px) Image search: [Google]
1492799271716.jpg
793KB, 1920x3240px
>>83789903
That's unfair, nothing can compare to Battlestar.

CGI doesn't count
>>
>>83789903
Yes. Not only is it the most practical spot in terms of protection it offers, both from ships and boarding parties (BSG needed more boarding scenes), it's also near the center mass of the ship. Since the Galactica is not networked CIC serves as the hub. Having it near the center reduces the amount of wiring and signal delay time throughout the ship.
>>
>>83789960
Maybe the windows have shutters
>>
>>83781996
This looks more like DLC for Destiny 2 than anything in the established Star Trek universe for the 23rd century. Star Trek used to consist of high-minded sci fi adventuring, now it's trying to be more of an action series like Star Wars.
>>
>>83789984
and yet they cut their paperwork into octogons, needlessly. Then they were all cylons.

Great show.
>>
>>83790026
Even worse, like first contact, it will be nothing there but a forcefield. Good things shields never go down on trek.
>>
>>83789165
DS9 at least had moral dilemmas and space politics. The whole Sisko = Space Jesus, Dukat = Space Hitler thing in the last season was dumb and contrived as all hell, but there was still decent intrigue.
>>
>>83790026
Sure, but it's still a needless vulnerability for the location containing vital command personnel and means you'll have to lower the shutters and switch to cameras anyway, so why not just use them from the start? 23rd century cameras/screens are going to be ridiculously hires anyway.

If you want to go look at something with your own eyes, you can always go look from a dedicated recreation area that can be locked down during combat/in debris-heavy regions of space.
>>
>>83790066
>needlessly
It's an anti-counterfeiting measure. Imagine how much effort it would be to fake a document if you had to space it all properly and exactly cut off the right edges of all the pages to whatever the military specifications are. Frakking genius.
>>
File: 1487051197567.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1487051197567.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>83781996
>>
>>83790066
As a guy who cut paper for a living for 2 years the Octogon books are retarded, yes. It's also completely benign. But you remembered it, and so did I.

So it accomplished it's goal: making BSG unique and memorable.
>>
File: se-whoops.jpg (77KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
se-whoops.jpg
77KB, 1024x576px
>>83790141
>If you want to go look at something with your own eyes, you can always go look from a dedicated recreation area that can be locked down during combat/in debris-heavy regions of space.
Anon, I like you

If I'm designing a ship in Space Engineers I always consider placement of such a room
>>
>>83790164
unique and memorable is a way to put it. Stupid beyond belief is another. Just because you remember it doesn't make it worth it. BSG is a great 1 season show. After they get stranded on that planet it just stops being enjoyable.

Draedus is the only good thing about the show, well Draedus and all things that need to happen to rely on it. Realistic-ish space combat is all it had going for it.
>>
File: bsg resurrection ship battle.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bsg resurrection ship battle.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>83790298

One free webm and (You) for the hater
>>
I want to roll some Star Trek characters for ToEE. Who are the best representatives for the following classes:
Barbarians
Bards
Clerics
Druids
Fighters
Monks
Paladins
Rangers
Rogues (inb4 the OUTRAGEOUS Okona)
Sorcerers
Wizards
>>
>>83790298
>Stupid beyond belief is another
see
>>83790142

That's just my headcanon, as far as I can tell it was an inside joke by the prop people about how the miniseries was always cutting corners, whoever was responsible never admitted it and was eternally hated by the prop guys on the TV series because of how much effort it took to do it throughout (hence my belief as to why they do it in-universe).

You can't just dismiss it as "stupid", you have to think about things in terms of the universe regardless of why it was done.
>>
File: 1491358727512.webm (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1491358727512.webm
3MB, 600x338px
>>83790344
So Say We All
>>
>>83790344
Nothing gives be a boner like a proper artillery barrage.
>>
>>83788806
Thanks for the sample of anthrax you lot sent out with the first fleet, it came in very handy.
>>
File: Adamakino.jpg (563KB, 3200x2013px) Image search: [Google]
Adamakino.jpg
563KB, 3200x2013px
>>83790397
I miss this show so much
>>
>>83790359
When you "have to" get postmodernist with your thoughts to justify something, it sucks. Your little headcanon is nice, but without it, it just looks like needlessly trying to be unique when recording ideas on a physical medium in a space age society is novel enough. You also need to know the cylons could counterfeit a human person, I don't think they would have a problem with a book (but a book turned out to be their biggest problem in the end so...)

>>83790355
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni1lhXLIcYM
>>
>>83784956
It's almost like they're trying to redo the entire series, going back and changing everything we're used to so that the established works don't matter anymore, like they did with the movie series creating an alternate timeline. Maybe they're just out of ideas.
>>
>>83790555
I have limited bandwidth, what does that youtube link say?
>>
>>83790625
you are OUTRAGEOUS
>>
>>83790625
>I have limited bandwidth
>in the year 2017
>>
File: 1495566384541.png (148KB, 498x565px) Image search: [Google]
1495566384541.png
148KB, 498x565px
>>83790515
>>
>>83790658
>>83790679
I do have limited bandwidth. What does the youtube link say?
>>
>>83790735
YOU ARE OUTRAGEOUS!
>>
>>83790718
>>83790515
>>83790397
>>83790344

Starbuck, what do you hear?
>>
>>83790735
you are OUTRAGEOUS!
>>
>>83790797
>Nothin' but the rain
>>
>>83790889
Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
>>
Leaving thread now, and hiding it. I was a girl btw.
>>
>>83781996
It's going to be shit, but it may be entertaining if we get at least one time travel episode with TOS or TNG guys in it
>>
>>83790967
>I'm a terrible person btw
>>
>>83781996
Is that an official preview image? Didn't they realize how much people hated that lensflare bullshit in JJTrek? Why would they do that? And why does everything need to be so dark and edgy, yet at the same time so open with so much empty, wasted space? Enterprise was somewhat dark and edgy but it was also cramped and utilitarian, this just looks like the worst aspects of everything.

>>83790397
That was a cool scene, but whoever invented the snap-zoom for aerial and space shots (I first really noticed it in Firefly) needs to be strung up by their toenails and flayed.
>>
>>83790930
>cat

Here's your (You)
>>
File: starfleet_shaky_cam.jpg (16KB, 485x241px) Image search: [Google]
starfleet_shaky_cam.jpg
16KB, 485x241px
>>83791149
>That was a cool scene, but whoever invented the snap-zoom for aerial and space shots (I first really noticed it in Firefly) needs to be strung up by their toenails and flayed.
>he doesn't like dynamic shots
Easy to over-use perhaps, but there's nothing wrong with it in context and it's a better, less painful gimmick than shakycam.
>>
>>83791163
That's the line though.

You bring the cat in because leaving your little mouser outside at night is a great way for it to get killed or lost.
>>
File: 320x240.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
320x240.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
So he was a manifestation of O'Brien's homolust for Bashir right?
>>
>>83791411
Yes. O'Brien went into a murderous rage when wouldn't give him his meat.
>>
>>83791411
I was amazed by how quickly O'Brien recovered from that experience. Next episode he was business as usual, going about his daily routine with a 20 year block in his mind between his current and previous days on the job.
>>
File: Mike Star Trek VR.png (648KB, 761x1301px) Image search: [Google]
Mike Star Trek VR.png
648KB, 761x1301px
Related enough I guess.
>>
>>83781996
>normies kill Twin Peaks
>normies kill Star Trek

What else will be destroyed for the enjoyment of normies?
>>
>>83791983
If he ever gets a little uneasy at the idea of it he just closes his eyes and thinks back to the only time he was truly happy, truly Miles.

Collecting spoons.
>>
>>83784557
Her two top confidants were both males who constantly influenced her decisions and whom she turned to constantly for advice. Try again.
>>
>>83793499
>Try again.
What's the point? The original complaint was wrong and the captain of the Discovery is a white male.
>>
File: muhreens.jpg (56KB, 562x509px) Image search: [Google]
muhreens.jpg
56KB, 562x509px
>>83792936
>normies killed The Expanse
at least we got one good season
>>
>>83792643
>aidsmoby getting blown the fuck out

You should watch his Witcher 3 stream just for the laughs.
>>
>write dukat to be a blatant bad guy
>actor spins the character to be a likeable and quick witted while still devious
>make dukat side with the dominion out of nowhere and become a tyrant again
>audience sympathises with him because it's what needed to be done to make cardassia a power again while bringing it protection from the current most powerful force
>he actually isn't that bad of a guy when occupying DS9 and then his daughter dies
>people feel bad for him and continue to sympathise with him
>cave episode where he snaps and they make sisko, the most reasonable and unwavering character in the show, LITERALLY say that he's pure evil
>audience still likes him
>ruin his character by making him obsessed with his vendetta against bajor and turn him into space satan purely to make it so nobody can sympathise with him
nice fucking job

why didn't they just go with it
>>
>>83787033
Sucks about his sense of "humor".
>>
>>83792643

The dudes doing the PR for this should get them in.
>>
File: b5-starfury_002.jpg (74KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
b5-starfury_002.jpg
74KB, 1024x768px
>>83791149
>That was a cool scene, but whoever invented the snap-zoom for aerial and space shots (I first really noticed it in Firefly) needs to be strung up by their toenails and flayed.

I think it started with Babylon 5 like lots of CGI tropes, including lens flares. Babylon 5 did it a lot of it kinda other way around as well. Static "camera" ships/fighters moving in fast, often followed by camera reversal.
>>
>>83784510
jaysus, what an appaling racial stereotype
>>
File: shuttlebay.png (1MB, 1330x630px) Image search: [Google]
shuttlebay.png
1MB, 1330x630px
>>83789960
>Makes sense for it to be big at least, the main thing the Federation lacks in it's warships is the ability to deploy ground forces in large numbers.

The thing with Trek ships is that their engineering systems are ridiculously small compared to almost every other sci-fi franchise. Bigger TNG-ships like Galaxy- or Nebula-class have quite a lot of room for operations like evacuations or troops ferrying. Main shuttle bay and storage areas are something that never appeared on screen in TNG because actually building the sets would have been too expensive. They only show much smaller auxiliary shuttle bays in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAM2dEEulBk

Design of the Enterprise-D was quite backwards process. Roddenberry basically picked rough ship design, then said how big it is. Then they started working out minor details like crew size, at that point Gene dictated the crew size. Probert and other folks involved designing ship ran into problem of having too much internal volume. This is how Enterprise-D turned into a fucking luxury liner.

>Enlarge main shuttle bay, still extra room left.
>Give every crew member a nice apartment, still extra room left.
>Add lounges, then add even more lounges, still extra room left.
>Add whale fucking tanks, problem solved.
>>
>>83781996
The alien guy looks cool and as long as I don't see the actual plots of the episodes I can't really say anything.
I am mildly curios.
>>
>>83794374
It still worked out okay, showing his character's descent. I've read Alaimo hated the makeup anyway.

Some people bitch about DS9 being too much dumb action. Really it just traded away some bs tech plot resolutions and, more importantly, was written with a much less utopian view.
>>
this looks abysmal.

Enterprise was a masterpiece in comparison.
>>
>>83797906
so they removed what made star trek different from any other sci-show?
>>
>>83786530
Absolutely underrated.
>>
File: Enterprise1200.jpg (691KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Enterprise1200.jpg
691KB, 1920x1200px
>>83798100
Enterprise was a masterpiece in comparison to every one of the other series.
>>
>>83798142
The Dominion war was still resolved diplomatically via Odo. The worst Next Gen episodes were when Data or Geordi found a tech solution.
>>
File: Nemesis_123.jpg (123KB, 700x530px) Image search: [Google]
Nemesis_123.jpg
123KB, 700x530px
>get to season 4 of voyager
>beautiful orchestral intro is replaced with It Aint Me

what the hell were they thinking
>>
>>83798100
>Enterprise was a masterpiece in comparison.

That is almost certain.

>>83798250

First two seasons of ENT are full of shitty episodes. Fourth season however is easily the most underrated season of all Star Trek.
>>
>01:59:31
>03:22:40
lol
>>
>>83781996
Holy shit that looks horrible. What the fuck is with all those forced effects?
>>
>>83798142
>Technobabble made star trek different from any other sci-show
wot
>>
>>83800900
>playing dumb
>>
File: Morgan_Bateson.jpg (496KB, 1435x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Morgan_Bateson.jpg
496KB, 1435x1080px
>>83800900

The thing that makes Trek different from most other sci-fi shows is the fact that there are tons of episodes without enemy or villain, just a problem to solve, one that involving exploring philosophical concept, ethical issue or human condition. While those are often quite direct analogies to today's problems, the best ones aren't. Episodes like Cause and Effect, Yesterday's Enterprise, Timeless, Blink of an Eye and The Inner Light.

I'm one of those folks who see DS9 as the worst Trek show so far. I fear it won't be true soon. Reasons why I don't like it can be summed easily. It is discount Babylon 5, JMS pitched his show idea to Paramount in '87, Trek producers took the basic concept and set it up in Trek universe. The even more fundamental thing why DS9 is flawed is that they din't fully commit to that concept of ongoing non-episodic nature of show, there are Trekkish episodes mixed with on going political drama, those are purely episodic. DS9 also completely wrecks some of philosophical foundations of Trek. Humanism, positivism and idea that humanity has grown out of its infancy and become more enlightened. Utopian and utopistic, but one of main ideas of Trek was that we aren't going to commit collective suicide as species during the Cold War and learn to work out our differences peacefully. Personally I don't believe it will happen in my life time or even within ten generations, cultural and biological differences between nations and races will make it impossible to happen in foreseeable future. There is needs for eugenics campaign in sub-Saharan Africa and few genocides to eradicate plagues like Islam from humanity. DS9 thinks like I do, end justifies the means, proper Trek works the other way around.
>>
>04:14:06
>05:14:08
lol
>>
>>83798250
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD
>>
File: HighFlight-ArcLight1.jpg (229KB, 1900x1532px) Image search: [Google]
HighFlight-ArcLight1.jpg
229KB, 1900x1532px
>>83800124
>11:59:31
>13:22:40
kek

>>83802308
>14:14:06
>15:14:08
kek

>>83802323
GETTING FROM THERE TO HERE
>>
why are ENT fans like trained monkeys? they see something ENT related and then they have to start "singing"
>>
Pandering to female and asian audience, what could go wrong?
>>
Am I the only person who thinks all Trek is equally good? I mean DS9 is probably my favorite but I see all the rest in a really positive light.
>>
>>83802496

Because it is a fucking meme in /trek/ threads. That theme song will grow on (you), like a tumor. A lot like root beer in that scene from DS9 with Quark and Garak discussing about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk
>>
>>83802587
If you like all Star Trek shows you are not a reaò Star Trek fan
>>
File: fight[1].jpg (60KB, 340x258px) Image search: [Google]
fight[1].jpg
60KB, 340x258px
>>83802587
no. i hate the aesthetics of ds9. all the fans of quarks degenerate star wars cantenna wanna be piss me off.
>>
>>83802587
I hate DS9 and TOS but the rest is excellent except for Discovery which we all know will not be good
>>
>>83781996
no.
>>
>>83802758
I have a positive out look for Discovery, I hope its good.
>>
File: 1495476301324.jpg (54KB, 772x198px) Image search: [Google]
1495476301324.jpg
54KB, 772x198px
>>83784033
>>83784498
>>83784578
>>83786120
>>83786311
>>83787741
>>83802560
>>
>>83786120
>captain is a Jew
yoo-hoo, anonnnn...
>>
>>83790344
as good as this is and its great but wheres the single person fighters wheres the frigates suppressing the fighters wheres the countermeasures for incoming missiles all there is is alot of big ships up close to each other in the vastness of space derping on each other
>>
File: RAIN.gif (672KB, 370x500px) Image search: [Google]
RAIN.gif
672KB, 370x500px
>>83788663
>This is why you don't let women or non-whites into Starfleet
Basically why modern movies and tv is aids.
The age of suspension of disbelief
>>
>>83802758
>I hate TOS
Bro, i made your favorite meal in the world and i'm not giving you any..
>>
File: lpb262tigjkxt5vwwjph.jpg (44KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
lpb262tigjkxt5vwwjph.jpg
44KB, 620x470px
>>83802587
>Am I the only person who thinks all Trek is equally good? I mean DS9 is probably my favorite but I see all the rest in a really positive light.

You did contradict yourself by putting DS9 above others. That isn't logical.

That being said, all Treks have good episodes and bad episodes.

My order of Treks:
>TNG
>TOS movies
>ENT 4th season
>TNG movies
>TOS
>ENT 3rd season
>VOY
>rest of ENT
>DS9

>>83802869

Even the nu-Trek Kirk is a Jew.
>>
File: watchitmanlets.png (364KB, 760x352px) Image search: [Google]
watchitmanlets.png
364KB, 760x352px
>>83803007
>>83803007
>voyager not last
heh you tried kid.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (24KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
24KB, 450x360px
>>83803137

Voyager has more good self contained sci-fi episodes than DS9. While there are more shit episodes, there is also more gems like Non Sequitur, Blink of an Eye and Timeless. Episodes that make you actually think. DS9 is simply more mediocre.
>>
>>83781996
I don't know Trek should be comfy. They all have intense moments but its not what Trek is about.

Also too retconny for my tastes, even the JJ flicks used the old uniforms for the most part
>>83787033
he didnt just watch it he was a background crew member on ENT
>>
>>83802976
I have my own vodka.
>>
>>83803255
>Also too retconny for my tastes, even the JJ flicks used the old uniforms for the most part

Those uniforms are easily the best thing about Jar Jar Treks, they even pay homage to TMP admirals uniform. Other good things in those are casting, shuttle design (by John Eaves), score, "I'm not our father"-scene with nu-Spock and real Spock and using National Ignition Facility as warp core. Rest is utter drivel.
>>
>>83781996
>the bridge design is also pretty comfy

'no'
>>
>>83786807
We're even talking about Nemesis? I thought you guy were talking about Star Trek where old Spock shows up and they destroy Wynona Ryder on Vulcan.
>>
So, is cellular peptide cake with mint frosting a Klingon delicacy?
>>
>>83790344
>fires
>not just explosions, but actual burning fires
>in space
>>
>>83781996
Why don't they wanna go further into the future? It's retarded. We already had a prequel,
>>
>>83803797
because there's nothing left
>>
File: 1471466454451.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471466454451.webm
3MB, 720x480px
>>83803791
>What the hell, why are these space ships full of oxygen that are getting blown apart catching fire? Space is literally magic and fires can't start there ever under any circumstances
Sci-fi might not be the genre for you
>>
>>83803791
ships have oxygen
>>
>>83803791
hmmm I see what you mean but consider the fact that you're retarded and consider the sun for a moment of your time.
>>
File: latest_2048_0304.jpg (966KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
latest_2048_0304.jpg
966KB, 2048x2048px
>>83803797

Because CBS is run by idiots. Enterprise was already a show designed by a fucking commission and accountants.

>Trek fans love time travel episodes, lets make a show that is entirely centered on time travel
>Trekkies don't really love time travel, but the fact that it forces future people to interact with current reality, lots of fun at expense of the crew or current day humanity. Great way to do comedy episode.

ENT only became it's own show on 4th season after Berman and Braga were sidelined, they were the right people to run Trek in early 90's, but they got stale and disconnected from reality in bit over decade of doing it. Once ENT got good, it was sent to the Friday death slot and cancelled by the guy who is currently micromanaging STD from the board room, Les Moonves.

>>83804608

Shit spitting out of sun isn't fire.
>>
File: f_211_193_171_2048.jpg (353KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
f_211_193_171_2048.jpg
353KB, 2048x2048px
SDO images are probably the most beautiful things you can find in the interwebz.
>>
File: jean-luc picard.jpg (17KB, 209x227px) Image search: [Google]
jean-luc picard.jpg
17KB, 209x227px
>>83781996
>The trailer didn't jam diversity too much

It's Star Trek you fucking idiots. Literally Diverse Space Future: The Series!
>>
after emissary, does it matter which I continue watching?
Is it safe to continue watching TNG and then once finished move onto the rest of DS9?
Do I need to watch them in tandem?
>>
>>83805378
>Do I need to watch them in tandem?

No. Both are very episodic shows. Same applies to Voyager. There is very little to absolutely no spoilers or connection between shows.
>>
>>83805378
If you've not seen anything of either before, it doesn't really matter. The only exception I can think of is that you should watch the TNG movie Star Trek: Generations after after DS9 1x03: Past Prologue but before DS9 4x01: The Way of the Warrior.
>>
>>83804787
Oh yeah then what is it, looks like fire me to.

Also Temporal Cold War is GOAT.
>>
>>83781996
I don;t give a fuck about diversity one way or the other.

It just looks like crap. The parody series looks more like star trek.
>>
File: latest_2048_HMIBC.jpg (2MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
latest_2048_HMIBC.jpg
2MB, 2048x2048px
>>83805948
>Oh yeah then what is it, looks like fire me to.

Fire in the ships can be explained with oxygen. "Fire" from the sun is fucking plasma, there is no oxygen involved, just lot of plasma and magnetic field.

>Also Temporal Cold War is GOAT.

Temporal Cold War utterly fucked whole point of Enterprise being prequel, it would have been nice as side plot, but it utterly undermined the point of being prequel. What Enterprise should have been about is first steps of humanity out of it's cradle, some conflict and clashes with usual suspects like Klingons or Romulans and future Federation founders like Vulcans, Tellarites and Andorians. The whole process was Humanity & Co forming the Federation was undermined by manipulation from the future.
>>
>>83802041

What do you call this hairstyle?
>>
File: picard.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
picard.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
>>83806589

Male pattern baldness.
>>
>>83791149

I first saw the snap-zoom your talking about in Space: Above and Beyond (mid 90s)
>>
>>83802041
>DS9 is bad because it's not like other Treks, but it's also bad because it does include episodes that are like other Treks
>Star Trek is best in episodes without enemy or villain, like Yesterday's Enterprise
Um.
>>
>>83783417
>I'm more exited about Orville

Typical contrarian Trekkie.

>waaah, why aren't they going into the future
>waaah, Trek belongs on TV
>waaah, too much action
>waaah, Galaxy Quest is better
>waaah, I unironically like the movie with the whales

Literally get fucked.
>>
>>83781996
Looks dull as dogshit!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>83807367
>Galaxy Quest is better
God that movie was so shit I urge anyone wanting to watch it to just not.
>>
>>83807367
>>waaah, I unironically like the movie with the whales
Double dumbass on you.
>>
File: star-trek-4-voyage-home.jpg (207KB, 1920x822px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-4-voyage-home.jpg
207KB, 1920x822px
>>83807042
>DS9 is bad because it's not like other Treks, but it's also bad because it does include episodes that are like other Treks

DS9 doesn't fully commit to idea of show that is continues from episode to episode. It is abomination between modern continuing TV-show and old school purely episodic TV.

>Star Trek is best in episodes without enemy or villain, like Yesterday's Enterprise

Klingons and Romulans aren't really the "enemy" of the story in Yesterday's Enterprise, the problem of the week is the time distortion.

>>83807367
>waaah, why aren't they going into the future

Because that have already been done. It is called Enterprise and it failed at being proper prequel due the Temporary Cold War destroying whole point of being prequel.

>waaah, Galaxy Quest is better

It is easily better than some Trek movies. Namely V, IV and Nemesis.

>waaah, I unironically like the movie with the whales

It is one of the better Trek-movies. Also it is a story without villain. Lots of great character moments. Double dumbass on you.
>>
File: It was a good ship..jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
It was a good ship..jpg
26KB, 480x360px
What is the armament of the lollipop?
Thread posts: 256
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.