[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I only recently got the criterion release of Hidden Fortress,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: kurosawa-e-lucas-cenas.jpg (114KB, 762x763px) Image search: [Google]
kurosawa-e-lucas-cenas.jpg
114KB, 762x763px
I only recently got the criterion release of Hidden Fortress, and after viewing the short bit with Lucas on Kurasawa, and having previously listened to the commentary tracks on all of the Star Wars films, I think he overplays the fact that A New Hope is told from the lowliest characters, much like in the Hidden Fortress, and his influence from Kurosawa.

In A New Hope, the two droids' story doesn't even amount to a large portion of the picture. Which is why I think Lucas tends to overplay the importance of Kurosawa's influence on Star Wars. Think about it. The droids only show up after and as a result of the initial conflict, and then after Luke makes his appearance they barely have anything to do. How is that at all similar to the role the two peasants play in Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress?

I'm not discounting the fact Lucas may have been influenced by him, but I just don't see why Lucas has to constantly state that Star Wars is being told from the perspective of the two "lowliest characters" as some kind of homage to Kurosawa, when really that is not the case.

It's possible that the original scripts he had written were more like that, but as it is now it isn't anything like the Hidden Fortress.
>>
File: 2014-02-06 23.44.05.jpg (86KB, 345x278px) Image search: [Google]
2014-02-06 23.44.05.jpg
86KB, 345x278px
I like star trek too :^)
>>
>Taking anything Lucas says at face value
>Taking anything Lucas says with a serious amount of doubt
>Taking anything Lucas says without several pounds of salt

Why do people still do this? The man accidentally made two good movies, don't let how good A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back detract from how mediocre the rest of the series was.

He isn't some magical director who is fucking brilliant. He proved he is willing to lie to make himself sound more interesting and deep.

Fuck he is literally invoking Kurosawa for credibility. The last vestige of white people trying to seem deep. Just let this shit go man, your deep cinephile theories are useless trying to judge Lucas as anything more than a lucky hack.
>>
>>83763569
I'm not talking about the quality of the Star Wars films. I'm talking about how he always seems to mention the Hidden Fortress when the subject comes up, and how it's quite questionable.

Kurosawa's influence is apparent in some places: use of the same wipes, use of long lenses which George says he prefers, the similar elements of adventure in which characters jump from one mess into another bigger mess just as they think they're safe... all of that I can accept. But it's the thing about Star Wars being told from the perspective of the lowliest characters that gets me. Had he actually done that Star Wars would have been a completely different movie.
>>
>>83763569
Also, just curious. What two "good" movies are you referring to? THX and American Graffiti?
>>
>>83763463
>>83763678

if you're going to read this deeply into a director/movie series at least pick someone/something decent like nolans dark knight trilogy
>>
>>83763708
he said it right in his post, ANH and ESB
>>
>>83763722
I don't mean to give the impression that i'm thinking too much about this. I just thought that it was very curios, and perhaps a good thing to talk about on this board.

I'm not reading deeply into anything, George constantly states in the commentaries and the interview on the criterion bluray how Star Wars is a film told from the perspective of the two lowliest characters but in reality that isn't as real as he'd like you to believe. That is pretty much my gripe, and I wondered if others felt the same way. That is all.

It makes sense in the Hidden Fortress, there are a lot of sociological themes that revolve around the intricate class structures of feudal Japan, which in some way still do exist today. But none of that is really represented in Star Wars.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.