[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Avon From Blake's 7

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

Name a better sci-fi anti-hero.
>>
>>83756147
Roy Batty
>>
>>83756147
>I've tried everything and I still have a pounding headache
>have you considered amputation?
Avon is GOAT
>>
>>83756800
>Does the planet support any intelligent life?
>Does The Liberator?
>>
>>83756188
Pretty good, I was more thinking someone who was the protagonist, or on the protagonist's side, but Roy definitely isn't evil, despite trying to kill Deckard and he is a great character.
>>
>>83756147
There are many
>>
>>83756147
A Blake's 7 thread! This is like finding a real Niue (which happened earlier tonight by the way).
>>
>>83757451
name one
>>
>>83756147
Heyyy, that guy looks a bit like James Woods. Just wikipedia'd the shit out of this show and it appears it's an archaic Farscape? Sounds dope, my man, dope af.
>>
>>83757626
I recommend it, assuming you can stand the BBC Tom Baker era effects. It had a shoestring budget and several production complications, like important actors leaving the show, but despite being barely strung together, the result is something interesting.

Avon really holds the show together though, it would be unwatchable without him.
>>
>>83756147

Have YOU betrayed ME?!?!?!
>>
>>83758111
Did you know Paul Darrow (Avon) shot his wife in that scene? The woman calling for security. Apparently she only agreed to get shot in the scene if her husband was the one to do it.
>>
>>83756147

Avon is the best character in B7, but only Vila was in every single episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80
>>
>>83758230

I'm all for verisimilitude in tv shows, but that seems a bit much. Why didn't they just pretend to shoot her, like they normally do?
>>
>>83758370
I was about to get a drink, but I'm glad I didn't before reading your post, I would have ended up spitting it all over my laptop. In other words, lol.
>>
>>83758370
lol you motherfucker
>>
>>83756147
>stand by to fire
>avon this is stupid
>when did that ever stop us? fire
>>
>>83758803
It was a real shame that the Andromedan War got completely brushed over, if they really followed through with it, it would be my favorite twist in sci-fi. But what should be a massive event gets quickly swept under the rug.

Which is probably my real problem with the show, but also what makes it interesting. A lot of interesting ideas, but not a consistent vision for the show. But if there were a consistent vision, would they have come up with all these ideas?

Hard to say, it's probably my favorite show in my head, because I kind of insert that cohesive vision into it. But when I look at the show objectively, it is a mixed bag.
>>
>>83759103
Really its all Blakes Gareths fault, fucking primadonna, I mean no meme but really what the fuck was his problem, I never understood why he hated his own show so much
>>
File: Space Shows.png (567KB, 1027x523px) Image search: [Google]
Space Shows.png
567KB, 1027x523px
>>83756147
>>
>>83759229
atlantis and Voy above Blakes seven, yea no, img discarded
>>
>>83759229
>>83759265
also fucking Ent above blakes7 just delete this and never post again
>>
>>83759265
>>83759296
Funny thing wot, I made this image intending to troll but some guy saved it and keeps reposting it. I guess I made a meme, lol.
>>
>>83759103
It definitely stands out as the most daring. The nuanced philosophy and lack of a Kirk figure probably turned a lot of people off.
>>
>>83759609
putting stuff like andromeda and lexx below shit like voy and and ent, should be ashamed of yourself
>>
>>83759215
Well, British sci-fi at the time had a stigma of being for kids, I mean, Dr Who was the go-to for English sci-fi, many in the crew, particularly the higher ups apparently, viewed the show as childish. Blake's 7 being the show where the evil government implants kids with false memories of rape to convict a freedom fighter as a child molester, which is worse than anything from 1984.

But I can imagine that Gareth viewed it as a simple step in his road to "higher" roles, like classy dramas or theatre. Gareth did do theatre after leaving Blake's 7, but despite his own wishes, it seems Blake was the role he was destined for, everyone knows him as Blake.
>>
>>83759682
Well it was essentially the anti-Trek, The Federation that unites humanity is evil, the heroes are criminals, the aliens are evil, and most of the bad guys can't be reasoned with. There is no bloodless revolution against The Federation, they have to dismantle it brick by brick.
>>
>>83757761
Watch season 4 or not? Any audio dramas? The Daleks crossover would be cool, but at this point a comic is the best way to do that. I think Terry Nation leaving was far more damning to the show.

>>83759229
Raumpatrouille Orion this low? KONZENTRATIONSLAGER. And no mention of Space:1999?
>>
>>83760731
Yeah I saw season 4, I haven't seen or heard any of the spin off material though. I heard one of the audio-dramas, Warship, bridges seasons 2 and 3, and I hated how they skipped over the whole season 2 cliffhanger so I might check it out.

I would have loved if Terry Nation's idea of The Andromedans being Daleks was used, if only because the Andromedan ship designs were awful. Terry Nation is a brilliant writer, loved Blake's 7 and Genesis of the Daleks, him having more input in 7 would have only been a good thing in my eyes.
>>
>>83760902
You can really tell when the writers change hands based on how Servalan is portrayed. She goes from the cunning, power hungry commander, to the mewling and ineffectual woman between episodes, depending on who's writing.

At least Jacqueline Pearce tried with the material regardless.
>>
>>83760902
There's one "The Logic of Empire" where Avon becomes the new Blake. Sometimes I get the impression the writers of the show didn't have a goal, but just wrote from week to week.
>>
File: rumors of death.jpg (386KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
rumors of death.jpg
386KB, 2880x1800px
>>83761016
servalan s1 was great but its not like she was ever really bad
>pic s3
>>
>>83761100
They are disappointing if you search for White Mischief.
>>
>>83761100
That episode where that random guy forcefully kisses her and she likes him for it was pretty bad. I thought the whole thing with Servalan was that she was in charge. Oh, and her becoming completely helpless in that episode where her and Tarrant are stuck together, which I believe was her last appearance.
>>
>>83761167
>>83761277
yea your right, nostalgia glasses n that, but your both right

btw anyone who hasn't seen it or wants to I think the entire thing is on yt
>>
>>83761083
I definitely get that impression too, I think at most they had a vague idea of where a season should end, but they rarely seemed to know how to get there, so most of the season would be episodic filler. They definitely had no idea what would happen beyond whatever season they were working on, probably because they didn't bet on being renewed!

I heard that even the finale was designed as a cliffhanger in case of a fifth season. Hand-waving away such an ending would have been very awkward though. The haphazardness of the series is somewhat charming, but also frustrating. It almost feels like a brainstorming session rather than a completed show.
>>
>>83761411
How would you have written the show? What stories do you want to tell?
>>
>>83759229
You excluded Red Dwarf and Space:1999 (and a ton of others) and you ranked Blake's 7, Lexx and Andromeda too low in your autistic fucking list. Seriously take your meme list and never post in a sci-fi thread on /tv/ again.
>>
>>83756147
Damn this show was dark af. I remember as a kid I knew B7 was superior to Dr. Who.
>>
>>83762332
Vila and Avon always had fun banter, but then comes the episode where Avon wants to kill Vila to get rid of weight. That's bad.
>>
>>83756147
>blakes an idealist jenna, he can't afford to think
>>
>>83762484
Blake's rebellion was doomed from the start. The only way to be free, is to be dead.
>>
>>83762691
he had the most powerful ship in the galaxy, well kinda, its not like he didn't have a good headstart
>>
>>83758313
>starting a fire was stupid, putting vila on guard was suicidal
damn I miss avon
>>
File: Liberator.jpg (42KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Liberator.jpg
42KB, 720x540px
A Blake's 7 thread with decent discussion in it, what the fucking fuck?

>>83761411

Some interesting opinions here, in my opinion the writing of Blake's 7 was often superb but writers of the time were a bit limited in their thinking, they probably cut their teeth writing radio dramas and episodes of Z Cars. Very British.
>>
File: albvila1.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
albvila1.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
>the architectural style is early maniac

Blessed Vila
>>
>>83763240
its the rarest of scifi threads glad I didn't miss it, also idk about limited i'm like ep 4 had cyborg vampires that shit was a ahead of its time
>>
>>83763240
reboot when? big-budget, early-twenties actors, seen as daring because it poses the idea that terrorism isn't necessarily evil.

my favorite scene in the show was where Avon sprang into a room with his blaster drawn, and the room was empty, so he kicked over a chair.
>>
File: Kerr_Avon.jpg (70KB, 549x821px) Image search: [Google]
Kerr_Avon.jpg
70KB, 549x821px
>>83763240
>Some interesting opinions here, in my opinion the writing of Blake's 7 was often superb but writers of the time were a bit limited in their thinking, they probably cut their teeth writing radio dramas and episodes of Z Cars. Very British.

it was Britain in the 70s. that was forty years ago. standards have changed a lot, particularly after the BSG reboot. i think a Blakes 7 remake would be cool.
>>
>>83763474
>>83763494
Yeah with BBC's success of NuWho I was hoping for a new reboot series.
>>
>>83759229
Expanse deserves high tier by now, will soon be god tier
>>
>>83764474
that whole thing is fucked, needs to be reworked from the ground up
>>
>>83759229
>futurama

Dog shit.

>Nadesico
>Outlaw Star

Not worth watching.

>Dark Matter
>above garbage tier

KYS

>Exosquad

Warm shit.

>Andromeda

DO NOT WATCH THE LAST SEASON, HOLY FUCK BALLS. Otherwise this is "fine."

>SGU

No really it shouldn't even be on the list.
>>
>>83756147
I can never get past the 1st episode of this for some reason.
>>
>>83764686
I never watched the last season, and I was just thinking I might rewatch from the start, should I really not watch s5?
>>
>>83764753
The last season takes place after Hercules has that stroke or whatever IRL (i think that's correct) and he's not really up to par with doing much it seems. The entire season takes place on some shitty planet they can't get off. It is like the worst set imaginable and slightly like a Western where they meet in a shitty bar all the time. It was the most depressing thing ever. Do not watch at all cost.
>>
>>83764817
>The last season takes place after Hercules has that stroke or whatever IRL (i think that's correct)

Seems that happened in the previous show Hercules seasons 5-6, but he went to Andromeda right after that. But, in the last season of that I could detect visual cues of him having those kinds of issues. It was kind of like watching the later episodes of Columbo where Peter Falk's condition is getting worse and you can see it directly if you know what to look for (depressing really). I think Kevin Sorbo's problem stopped and he got better though since it was an acute problem due to the blood clot in his shoulder.
>>
>>83764817
Good to know thanks, never watch s5 got it
>>
>>83764817
Is that what happened? I always thought he just kinda checked out.
>that meta ep, where all the gods work on the show
>>
>>83765176
He seemed "tired" in that season. Like he was having a mental relapse. There may have been something IRL that was doing that, stress or something. He seemed much better later on in other stuff.
>>
>>83765266
yea he's great in andromeda but at the end of hercules yea he's barely in it and he seems just really tired, he was fine in Kull though which is about the same time iirc
>>
>>83763474
Actors should be older. Thirties or Forties. People who have lived longer under oppression. Make Blake a black guy. Give Gan more to do.
>>
>>83761344
>entire thing on youtube
BBC don't care about their property
>>
>>83756147
Is Elric science fiction enough? He gets around a lot and isn't strictly tied to a fantasy milieu.
>>
File: csalmon.jpg (115KB, 526x700px) Image search: [Google]
csalmon.jpg
115KB, 526x700px
>>83766104
>Make Blake a black guy.

This idea never so much as occurred to me before now.
>>
>>83767046
Elric of Melniboné? The lords of Order are scifi and I can remember in one story a laser being used. It blends.
>>
File: elric.jpg (67KB, 800x475px) Image search: [Google]
elric.jpg
67KB, 800x475px
>>83767174
This feeble, sulky albino is your FRIEND. He fights almost as hard for FREEDOM as Roj Blake.
>>
File: tfw rape module activated.jpg (27KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
tfw rape module activated.jpg
27KB, 500x384px
>>83766104
>Give Gan more to do
have you thought this through?
>>
>>83767147
needs fro. blake had one
>>
>>83767271
There's a backstory with Vila that's not explored. In the series he's just a muscle. He would get only 1 or 2 lines an episode. You say rape. Gan had this implant that got removed, right?

>>83767243
He fights because fate forces his hand. Elric was never free.
>>
>>83767384
Theres an episode where Gans implant acts up & he gets rapey as fuck
>>
>>83763474
The syfy channel was doing a remake a few years ago. They announced the casting calls and that's the last we ever heard.

The casting call descriptions for the characters was fucking awful.

Sky was also going to do a remake and released a promotional image of their cg Liberator and again, that was the last we ever heard of it.
>>
>>83767340
Like this?
>>83767512
How much use is a rapist to the rebellion? Maybe after removing the implant Gan is less restrained, more violent, very sexual. Perhaps even a good interrogator.
>>
Lads I promise if I ever get into TV I'll do it and make it godtier
>>
>>83764686
>>futurama
>Dog shit.
you illegitimated your opinion pretty soon
>>
>>83766968
It's on youtube? I wanted to check this out a years back but no torrent site had it. I eventually found S1 but the rip was completely screwed up and I gave up.

My dad used to watch it Saturday mornings on UKTV gold when that was a thing. I'll have to start watching, even if it is a stream.
>>
>>83767733
All the episodes are online. No stream. I believe there's a decent torrent now.
>>
>>83763474
Same ship design?
>>
File: DannyJohn-JulesPlaycomLive08.2.jpg (25KB, 220x359px) Image search: [Google]
DannyJohn-JulesPlaycomLive08.2.jpg
25KB, 220x359px
" It's time we really hurt the Federation. Oh, we've been hitting at the fingers, the arms. I want to hit at the heart. And the heart of the Federation is Earth!"
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.