[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this kino?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: 024bb1f53be9fdfa0c4959ba6f778d49.jpg (425KB, 1203x1737px) Image search: [Google]
024bb1f53be9fdfa0c4959ba6f778d49.jpg
425KB, 1203x1737px
Thoughts on this kino?
>>
>>83753438
>Nolan: How does Tarantino make movies?
>>
>>83753438
don't believe /tv/'s lies
>>
I unironically and unpretentiously consider this one of my favourite movies. Saw it when it was new, and have rewatched it a couple of times with other people. Everyone I've seen it with has enjoyed it.

It's not just scenes in reverse order like /tv/ likes to meme, there's tons of more and less subtle hints in every scene that wouldn't make sense if the scenes were just reorganized. And the way the cuts in time are placed are very well thought out. Really like it 5/5
>>
>>83754373
This movie is great. Anyone who disagrees is being a contrarian. I enjoyed this when I first saw it and then waited a decade to rewatch, about a month ago. This and The Prestige are Nolan's best.

This time around I noticed that all that stuff with the hooker he pays to pretend to be his wife is showing you that he will go above and beyond to lie to himself for these little moments of bliss. Right in the middle of the movie you're being told that this guy is a very unreliable narrator. I also like how in the photo that Teddy shows him post-murder of the real John G is him pointing to his heart, where he says earlier in the movie he'd get a tattoo to remind himself that he accomplished his task.
>>
>>83754507
Also while obvious, I have to commend them for how many good uses they found for the text and photos "gimmick", it didn't get stale.
>>
>>83754373
/tv/ used to really like this movie before the dark knight came out.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gol0HwAXM
>>
File: 1495363032462.png (27KB, 352x482px) Image search: [Google]
1495363032462.png
27KB, 352x482px
>Never answer the phone
>>
I forgot I watched this
>>
>>83753438
too confusing. I had to keep rewinding
>>
truly unique
>>
>>83754917
I would never rewind this movie. Just watch it a second time. The structure is well thought of and it's one of those movies that's a completely new experience the second time you see it.
>>
>>83753438
gimmicky trash
>>
File: 2DEEP4U.png (88KB, 1800x1260px) Image search: [Google]
2DEEP4U.png
88KB, 1800x1260px
arguably nolan's second best work (the first ten minutes of the dark knight rises are his best)
really great example of how to do a contemporary noir film. the only problem is people look way too deep into it when all nolan really did is leave some plot-points ambiguous and reverse the structure.
>>
>>83755093
It was cutting edge at the time. Movies like that do something different and succeed are never appreciated as much by future generations who don't see them at the time they come out. But I agree with you that it's not a super deep movie, it's a standard unreliable narrator noir but reversed so you don't get the plot points in the usual order.
>>
>>83753912
>this film
>anything like a Tarantino flick

lmao what?
>>
Its like that Seinfeld episode where everything is in reverse
>>
File: Chris Morris.jpg (33KB, 220x302px) Image search: [Google]
Chris Morris.jpg
33KB, 220x302px
>>83754965
I can already tell that you have absolutely no friends at all.
>>
>>83755093
I don't know what you mean by looking too deep into it, I certainly don't consider it a statement on modern society or anything. But every scene has at the very least one thing in it that gets a new meaning during the next. A lot of effort went into making it and the same premise could've been made with lot less of those fine details and still made a good movie. It went above and beyond in my book.
>>
>>83755093
>the first ten minutes of the dark knight rises are his best

epic
>>
>>83753438

I really really enjoyed this movie, but to be honest with you, its the type of movie I can only watch once every few years or so.

My first time watching it was great. Even though It was obvious who his wifes killer was, the ride leading up to it and seeing events go backwards was fucking fantastic.

My second viewing I couldn't help but spot the gaping plotholes which made it less enjoyable, so I just wait a long time watching it. Its been like 3 years since I've last seen it.
>>
>>83755303
Name one single plot hole.

You can't do it.
>>
>>83755093
No, it's his only great movie.
>Good but pretentious: Batman begins, Dark Knight

Everything else is schlock.
>>
>>83755425
What's your beef with The Prestige? Because I'd personally rank that one up after this movie. I need to rewatch it though.
>>
>>83755425
I liked The Prestige. Insomnia felt like they could've done more with the concept.
>>
Usually not a Nolan fan, but really liked this one. I think it's how concise and self-contained it is that sets it apart from his later works. It was a cool twist on the noir genre, and while not entirely original, still very unique. Also, the performances of Guy Peirce and Ralphie held the film up higher than it probably would've been held with different actors
>>
Stephen Tobolowski is a fucking legend. He's done that character a million times but every time it has a different flavor.
>>
If the last thing Guy Pearce remembers is his wife dying, then how does he remember that he has short term memory loss?
>>
Why did Teddy lie and say Leonard didn't know him at the end (beginning)? If he hadn't done that Leonard wouldn't believe everything is a lie.
>>
>>83755341

Every few minutes/hours he reverts back to a mental state where he doesn't know his wife was killed. SO he tattoos himself so that he can remember his mission to find her murderer.

This means he has to go through the same mental process of remembering shes dead, feeling like depressed, feeling rage after reading his tattoos, and looking through his pictures and shit to remember his place. Yet there are several instances where he doesn't go through that, like the chase with Dodd(todd?) for example.
>>
>>83755611
Because it would be a pretty shitty movie otherwise
>>
>>83754917
Just watch it in reverse
>>
>>83755719
I don't think you have to remember your wife's dead to run away from a guy trying to shoot you. However this >>83755747 if you just give the "movie magic" excuse to the fact that he remembers the absolute basics (he has memory loss, wife is dead) there really aren't any noticable plot holes I can think of. It would be a pretty shitty movie if every 1 minute apart he would be finding out about his memory loss condition.

Also I think it's implied he remembers certain things longer than others. Like when he reminds himself he's trying to find the killer (a big thing) it sticks with him longer than spit in a beer for example. I think it's perfectly reasonable. The mind doesn't work like a tape that gets erased.
>>
>>83754917
It's supposed to make you feel like he does.
>>
>>83755719
The movie outright states that he will "wake up" or whatever you want to call it and still be feeling the emotions he felt during his previous...awake? period. That means when Dodd's chasing him, he's got adrenaline and he's running and he's got to figure out what the fuck is going on. He doesn't have time to dwell on his last memory or to look at his freaky tattoos. After he passes out in the bathroom because he didn't sleep all night, he wakes up with a bottle in a bathroom and figures he was in the middle of showering, so he does that.

It's really all contextual. If he's just sitting around and there's nothing telling him what he should be doing (like being in an empty hotel room) he'll stay on task, otherwise his leftover emotional state or the environment will push him toward certain tasks and thoughts.
>>
>>83753438
I can't remember anything about it except for little clips that play in my head. Like that ugly chick from the original CSI was in it.
>>
Theres another very similar movie you guys might like called 50 First Dates
>>
>>83755611
He deduces it every time and then sees his hands and remembers sammy jenkins
>>
>>83756090
If they remake this, I hope the new Leonard has a broken finger on his right hand, and the entire movie is him looking down at the source of pain and remembering Sammy Jenkis, but each time he remembers it the story becomes more and more absurd.
>>
>>83753438
it's brilliant, it disproves the ideal that we should be striving for "pure authenticity" in our lives because there is no such thing - after the moment is passed you are different person and there is no point forcing absolute consistency with a wholly inconsistent person/world.

The central idea puts honesty (with yourself and others) out the window and opens you up to memeing yourself into believing custom myths wholeheartily. If "he who can forget is cured" imagine how blessed (and cursed) is someone who can also effectively form any false memory he chooses.

The difference between sammy jenkins and lenny is that lenny wanted to maintain his high level of will power and that has nothing to do with "truth".
>>
https://youtu.be/Xwd8GTF-Tss

Great soundtrack
>>
it really made me think
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.