[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: star-trek-3-759.jpg (80KB, 759x422px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-3-759.jpg
80KB, 759x422px
What went wrong?
>>
my life
>>
she stopped loving me and its been a downward spiral ever since
>>
>>83723632
For me? Inconsistency. I was okay with Star Trek 2009 and even on board with the idea of the whole alternate timeline branching off from the moment Nero's ship arrived in the past. But Into Darkness didn't play by the rules they'd set up. Suddenly we have Khan, a character from the 20th century, well before the beginning of the Kelvin timeline and he's nothing like the Khan we know. So then they started saying it was an alternate universe even before the Narada incident.
Besides the timeline issues, it's absolutely typical of Abrams throw some catastrophe into the mix like the destruction of Vulcan and then do next to nothing with the consequences.
JJ and company go for flashy spectacles but they're horrible at universe building. That's why the Kelvin timeline movies couldn't really go anywhere and why the state of the galaxy makes so little sense in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
>>
germany surrendered in 1945
>>
>Director: J.J. Abrams
>>
>>83723632
They turned Star Trek into an action adventure movie and made Spock a blubbering insecure egomaniac
Bones and young Kirk were spot on tho
>>
>>83723836
I've noticed that Abrams always creates settings that have no internal consistency and things make little sense. The events that happen in his movies don't have much dramatic weight because it's hard to become invested in a story where nothing makes sense or seems to matter.
>>
>>83723865
Kek
>>83723632
I don't think anything went wrong, but this is coming from a guy who hasn't seen any of the original Star Trek, so, my opinion is bound to be shat on, and that's okay.
I respect purists.
>>
>>83723836
>it's absolutely typical of Abrams throw some catastrophe into the mix like the destruction of Vulcan and then do next to nothing with the consequences.

This is what bothers me the most. There's no consequences for the big shit that happens in the movies.

For example, Captain Kirk has had dozens of his crew die in each of the movies I'm pretty sure. And yet he keeps finding people that want to become his new crew as if nothing happened. If a captain repeatedly got into trouble where tons of people died I highly doubt he would retain that position of command and have people willing to serve under him.

Also at the end of 2nd movie there was this idea presented that the Klingons would start a war with Star Fleet because of the intrusion into their air space. Then the 3rd movie completely ignored that and did something else.
>>
>>83725197
I understand what you mean about the lack of consequences, but I feel like they might revisit the Klingon War in a later movie, I don't think it's just going to be a trilogy, it's probably gonna be a franchise.
>>
>>83725271
>its probably going to be a franchise
Stop, please. It hurts too much already.
>>
Abraham singlehandedly made trek star wars
>>
2009 was ok, so it could have kept up momentum if it wasn't for Damon Lindelof shitty script writing for Into Darkness. Beyond redeemed some things but its too late to creep out of the black hole created by Linelof (RIP Alien prequels too thanks to him).
>>
>>83723632

Everything except casting, musical score and costume design.
>>
File: Redshirts.jpg (92KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Redshirts.jpg
92KB, 1280x1024px
>>83725197
>Captain Kirk has had dozens of his crew die in each of the movies I'm pretty sure.

To be honest.... that is one of very few things Abrams didn't break.

>If a captain repeatedly got into trouble where tons of people died I highly doubt he would retain that position of command and have people willing to serve under him.

The fact that Kirk is a fucking cadet should be even bigger red flag for crews. They give Starfleet flagship to a fucking cadet that was in process of being dismissed from the academy. I don't think anyone in Starfleet is concerned about stuff like some casualties, that is simply above their level of incompetence. In first Jar Jar movie Kirk is essentially immature asshole who has amazing luck.
>>
>>83724117
>>Director: J.J. Abrams
/thread
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.