[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a good horror movie? Why are they so rare nowadays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (56KB, 400x260px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 400x260px
What makes a good horror movie? Why are they so rare nowadays?
>>
>>83673477
>horror
You've posted a terror movie
>>
>>83673477

Because you're not a kid anymore and your real world problems scare you more than any movie ever could, so they have no power.

Welcome to adulthood.
>>
>>83673477
What used to be called horror is nowadays just thrillers because of how desensitised we've become. Modern horror has to go to some ridiculous lengths to get a similar shock factor, but at that point you almost always end up with some otherwise garbage tier films.
>>
Wonderful insights guys (and gals). This is why I genuinely love /tv/. Informed and interesting commentary, always cutting to the quick.
>>
File: DEMONS SO SCARY1.jpg (47KB, 1050x591px) Image search: [Google]
DEMONS SO SCARY1.jpg
47KB, 1050x591px
>>83673477
Atmosphere.
>>
They've always been rare. Like good action movies or good sci-fi movies.
>>
>>83673502
don't you mean the oposite
horror is slasher and gore, terror is psichological

>>83673536
Truth
>>83673608
CSI contributed a lot to that
>>
>>83673704
This is the best answer. If you can't build an memorable setting and an unsettling feel then you won't have a scary movie.
>>
cgi has killed the horror genre for me. simple as that.
>>
>>83673704
this, tension and most of all good acting
>>
>>83673477
>Why are they so rare nowadays?
Today's horrors are just jumpscares. The only good recent horror movie was The Babadook and only the first and second act.
>>
>>83673704

Begotten was a huge fucking piece of shit tho
>>
>>83673477
There's nothing that kills a scary vibe moreso than digital film
>>
>>83674058
This.
>>
Raw emotion and stark brutality. The use of practical effects over cgi. Realism.
>>
CGI isn't scary for one
>>
>>83673861
When you creating horror you have to evoke unease and other worldliness, you have to bring people back to the "dark ages" when people genuinely felt real terror when the sun set, you have to bring them into a dream state.

It honestly is not genuinely scary to make horror movies set in the modern era, it's hard to take a ghost story seriously we you know satellites are orbiting the planet and microscopes can view bacteria. With the increase in knowledge horror becomes harder to produce. You have to introduce an otherworldly element to bring the viewer out of the modern world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c6uMbP4--E
>>
>>83673477
I liked the Autopsy of Jane Doe. No jump scares. Was done traditional. Slow pacing, cool build up, well written. Wasn't terrifying but it was way better than the "horror" movies out these days.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 500x225px
>>83674181
When was the last time you saw something truly unsettling in a movie?
>>
PG-13
>>
>>83675038
I meant R, making horror with PG ratings are strictly for kids looking for shitty jumpscares.
>>
>>83674323
The Void is also pretty good.

Watched both it and Jane Doe back to back one day. Good way to spend three-four hours.
>>
>>83674617
I found IT FOLLOWS extremely unnerving.
>>
>>83673477
Studios trying so hard to be "scary" instead of trying to be "horror."

I'll even take a thriller or action with horror elements over the stale, cliche, character-absent shit like The Conjuring or anything by James Wan or Ti West. Amateurs who rarely strike gold.
>>
>>83673477
it's the hardest genre along comedy.

original yet relatable and well executed horror is just incredibly difficult to produce.
>>
>>83674222

For a good take on how a high-technology civilization would react to encountering magic, check out the The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton.

Imagine a setting with something around or slightly above Federation level technology, humans have encountered a few alien races but overall they're not too common, when suddenly the equivalent of Hellraiser cenobites show up.

At first, they think these beings are just another alien race, using very wonky but still physics-based alien technology. But the realization starts to dawn, these are magical demons, there is a hell, and souls exist.

It darn near caused the collapse of their society, for a wealthy, stable Federation-type culture this was a massive system shock. And all of this going on under the eyes of ubiquitous surveillance.

Not really a scary book series but conceptually its hard-hitting.
>>
ISIS has killed slashers
Normies have killed zombies and vampires
Found footage have done the rest
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.