[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nosferatu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (84KB, 468x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 468x667px
What did I think of it /tv/?

It was kino, but could've been lost focus after the castle bit
>>
>>83535920
I remember it gave me a serious fucking nightmare as a kid.
Always stuck with me.
Haven't rewatched it since.
>>
>>83535967
I definitely recommend it, anon. You can easily find it on YouTube and there's a lot to appreciate in terms of what movies have taken from it over time.
>>
>>83535920
I feel like Van Helsing was underutilized in this adaptation. He was only good for taking care of the guy who knew Dracula or whatever he's called in this version was coming. As for his bits as a scientist, he really didn't need to be there as all he did was slow down the second act.

The ending is brilliant and also pretty bold considering cinema was still a somewhat new art form. When opera was first created it could only be produced if you had a happy ending, even if it was based on a story which originally had a sad ending. So coming pretty early out of the gates with a tragic-yet-fulfilling conclusion that was different from the novel is pretty great.

If you like silent films I recommend the 70's remake. I have my reasons for why that movie has no reason to exist and it certainly does not replace the original, but it's interesting to see extended periods of silence with modern camera techniques.
>>
>>83536319
>I have my reasons for why that movie has no reason to exist

Id be interested in hearing em
>>
File: 1484535696215.jpg (49KB, 420x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484535696215.jpg
49KB, 420x480px
>>83535920
That scene depicting his attack on the ship stuck with me for a while after watching it. The whole movie was overall great but that scene in particular, to me, embodies what I love most about this movie.

It was Dracula before Dracula was made into a joke. Before the countless pastiches and Lugosi parodies ruined the seriousness of the character. Now, I love me some vampire parodies if they are done right, but it felt so refreshing to see a movie that actually portrayed it's monster in such a horrifying manner, as pestilence incarnate. It made me feel in awe.

This is one of the things that I found was missing from Herzog's remake. But on the other hand I'm glad the remake didn't try to top the original's horror but instead focus on making a better story with more developed characters, and turning Orlok into a tragic figure.
>>
File: Nosferatu_Cover_WEB.jpg (508KB, 1000x1017px) Image search: [Google]
Nosferatu_Cover_WEB.jpg
508KB, 1000x1017px
>>83536393
It's not that it isn't good, it's that it has no place.

There are a lot of people who refuse to ever watch a silent film, and increasingly people who refuse to watch black and white films. Remaking Nosferatu would have been a good way to bring at least the spirit of the film to new audiences and maybe they would like it enough that they would reconsider the original. It might not be that great, but sometimes gateway movies are a good way to get new generations interested in classics (like Crystal Skull; not a good movie, but got a new generation to watch Indiana Jones).

The issue with 70's Nosferatu is that it is so similar in style to the original that I feel it would alienate or bore the kinds of people who refuse to watch a film just because there is no spoken dialogue. So it fails as a gateway film.

Like I said above, I really liked seeing extended scenes with no dialogue, relying on music and visuals the way the original did but with much more to see and hear due to advancements in the industry. The problem here is that the story is identical to the original until the end and anyone with this taste has already seen the original. It's a nice way for fans to revisit the story, but chances are that fans will always prefer the original. It's pretty, but it doesn't give a new feeling or effect to make it feel like something you've never experienced before.

Also the actors can barely speak with the fangs in and Lucy and Mina's names got swapped for some reason.

TL;DR: Won't attract newcomers, won't keep fans for long. Check it out once if you really love the original since I won't deny that it's pretty.
>>
>>83536717
The scene that really got me was when Nosferatu broke into Hutter's room. Reminded me a lot of the nightmares I had as a child after moving into a new house. I'll have to check out the remake at some point. Also, have you seen Shadow of the Vampire? Heard that one was good too
>>
>>83536783
I'll probably still watch it, but I can see what you mean with this.
>>
>>83536891
I think I covered all of my thoughts there. Saw it about a year and a half ago and decided to write about basically this for an English essay, but my hard drive broke not long after so I don't have the file anymore.
>>
>>83536978
Did you do well on the essay?
>>
>>83537012
Actually I didn't think I said enough in it but I couldn't think of what else to add so I started with a new topic after my second draft still wasn't looking long enough. If I had more to say I think it would have gone well.

The essay I ended up writing was about the abysmal Carrie musical being rebooted in 2012 and why it succeeded in fixing the 80's version but still didn't do so hot. Got a 100 on that essay.

For the record, we think the professor was trolling us since it was her last semester at the college and she gave me a 100 on four out of our five essays despite my never reading the textbook that we were supposed to learn to write from.
>>
File: 9967_5.jpg (53KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
9967_5.jpg
53KB, 728x409px
>>83536783
While I agree that most of the people who wouldn't watch the original Nosferatu would feel alienated or bored by Herzog's remake, I disagree with your statement that Herzog's remake is similar to the original to the point it lacks purpose in existing.

Herzog's remake goes for a different kind of atmosphere that foregoes the horror conventions that the original helped pioneer. In certain aspects it hardly feels like a horror film, but instead a poetic drama, a more emotional take on Nosferatu. As I said here >>83536717, I think Herzog's remake, while it lacks the horror of the original, goes for something different by fleshing out the story and characters and by using his own style of filmmaking. The movie deals with the material differently.

I watched both movies back to back and never once did I feel as if Herzog's remake was too similar to the original. To me it felt like I watched two different ways to reimagine Dracula as an embodiment of pestilence, one as a German Expressionist horror with a filthy monster, and the other as a haunting and operatic tragedy of a cursed fiend.

I think your perspective analyses it from a commercial perspective that is how Herzog's remake would fail to attract modern audiences to watch Nosferatu, in which case I agree with you. But I do not think that this renders the movie pointless. I definitely think it has a place.
>>
>>83537875
Huh. Maybe my fault was seeing them a couple years apart and relying on my memory of the first to compare to. The next time I go back and watch the original I might follow it up with Herzog's to look at what you're getting at.

More importantly, where were you when I needed more analysis for that essay?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.