[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Nolan's filmmaking so shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

File: 1496383393261[1].webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496383393261[1].webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Normally I'm not the kind of person to notice little mistakes or nitpick, but its like Nolan refuses to do more than one take. Extras standing around staring at the camera, obvious stuntdouble changes, cuts to other angles that don't make any sense, it's terrible.
>>
>>83481305
Fuck off Hack Snyder

Christopher N'Olan makes timeless kino
>>
He's pretentious while at the same time incredibly lazy. Almost all of his movies have some high concept premise (read: gimmick) that he only bothers to explore on the surface level and he's too scared to let his audience think for themselves, so all of his dialogue is laden with autistic, out of place exposition.
>>
File: Carlos.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
Nolan is like the chipotle of film. He's better than all the other junk, but at the end of the day he's still fast food. [Spoiler]He's kind of shit sometimes too.[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1496115465426.jpg (70KB, 833x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1496115465426.jpg
70KB, 833x1000px
>>83481461
>ever fucking up a spoiler
>defending nolanshit
>>
>>83481388
i feel that is why the plane scene picked up so much traction. people where searching for any sort of meaning in his shallow fucking movies and it ended up snowballing
>>
>>83481514
The plane scene was just a bizarre fucking mess of lazy writing. I think that's why it became such a meme.
>>
File: 20161228_134849.jpg (18KB, 196x219px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_134849.jpg
18KB, 196x219px
>>83481495
Oh shit whoops. it's because I just got up and am posting on the pooper.
>>
>>83481543
just press ctrl+s bro
>>
Hes better than Kubrick tbqh. Not even memeing.

>muh long still takes
>over the top hacky acting
>king of pretentious nonsense

Don't @ me, you know the truth.
>>
>>83481597
I dont take my fucking desktop in the bathroom while I poop. I have self control man.
>>
i don't understand why he's dead
>>
>>83481644
Fucking casuls I swear.
>>
>>83481388
i think his brother is even worse than nolan for this shit

he's a one trick pony that stacks twists on top of twists and all the retards are so focused on trying to figure out the ebin twists that they completely ignore how shit the actual story is. once you clue into the stupid gimmicks he uses it's really fucking obnoxious.
>>
>>83481614
>>muh long still takes
Kubrick isn't necessarily known for long takes.
>>over the top hacky acting
I disagree
>>king of pretentious nonsense
But that's Nolan. He makes flicks that masquerade as deep works of art, and normies eat it up. Interstellar is basically 2001 Lite.

Also Nolan will never make a film anywhere near as good a Barry Lyndon
>>
>>83481495
This.
>>
I feel bad because The Prestige is one of my favourite movies, and Nolan is just going to be remembered as that guy who did one good Batman movie, two bad ones, and a meme dreamworld movie.

The Prestige has plenty of flaws, it relies too much on exposition, the pacing is weak, the plot is really predictable in some places, but it's one of those movies where the clear love and craft that was put into it outweighs the problems and makes it something truly great.

Nolan's a good writer, and he can produce some excellent performances from his actors, but his camera work is awful. He's actually gotten worse, at least Batman Begins had really shaky and blurry camera work for fight scenes that covered up how bad the choreo/direction was.
>>
>>83481305
This fucking scene had me literally rolling my eyes uncontrollably. They practically almost spun out of my fucking head when the whole of gotham's criminal population couldnt successfully shoot a WALL OF BODIES
>>
>>83481702
Barry Lyndon is the definition of boring. Acquire taste you ultimate peon.
>>
File: raulsilva.jpg (58KB, 607x312px) Image search: [Google]
raulsilva.jpg
58KB, 607x312px
Well Chris Nolan bought the rights to James Bond so deal with it

>"WAS GETTING CAUGHT PART OF YOUR PLAN?"
>>
Batman Rises was very low efford, his other films are done much better
>>
File: b2KboSD.jpg (398KB, 2000x1575px) Image search: [Google]
b2KboSD.jpg
398KB, 2000x1575px
>>83481743
>defends Nolan
>thinks Barry Lyndon is boring
>thinks Nolan is better than Kubrick
Just stop posting
>>
>>83481763
BB and TDK are masterpieces.

How did he manage to fuck up TDKR so much?

I don't understand how critics praised it.

I'd rather watch BvS anyday over that shit
>>
File: 1495914945444.jpg (204KB, 575x711px) Image search: [Google]
1495914945444.jpg
204KB, 575x711px
>>83481305
Nolan's a good filmmaker but it's pretty clear he simply did not give a single shit about Dark Knight Rises.
>>
>>83481778
fucking kino
>>
>>83481844
He was probably pissed with Ledger dying so he couldn't include him in the story so didn't care to actually make it meangingful or memorable
>>
>>83481305
Lmao, he's good, but from time to time he comes up with stupid shit like this scene. That's why he will never gain even David Fincher status.
>>
>>83481737
Agreed. I like Memento and The Prestige, it's just that pretty much all the other Nolan movies are mediocre at best.
>>
>>83481388
Heh, the fucking ridiculous ''subtle'' exposition in his movies always take me out of it. I would rather have some one narrating (like Scorsesse does), than characters talking as if they know there is an audience, and they need to ecplain shit to them.
>>
>>83481799
I fucking hated TDK, easily Nolan's most pretentious movie.

Long awkward pseudo-philosophical dialogue about tired comic book clichés and horrible action scenes the movie.
>>
>>83481305
I like some of the things Nolan does but juxtaposed with some of the shitty one take scenes it would be hard not to notice. He seems to take more care with his own stories than he did with the batman movies.
>>
>>83481743
You're right! There were hardly any lasers and the few explosions were lame. Needed CGI treatment.

Let's upvote each other buddy!
>>
http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1202-Spring-2012/DGA-Interview-Christopher-Nolan.aspx

>Q: You don’t like to shoot many takes, you only storyboard action scenes, you avoid shot lists, and you just use one camera for dramatic sequences. So how do you make directorial choices in the editing room given that you don’t seem to have a lot of coverage options?

A: Well, generally with the projects I'm working on, the script is based on some form of parallel action or shifting points of view, even when the story is linear. If you look at the last couple of reels on the Batman films, for example, they're all crosscut parallel action. What that means is, even though you shoot very specifically and efficiently, you have unlimited choices in the editing suite because you don't have to shoot complete continuity for a particular action scene.

>Q: Why do you prefer shooting with one camera?

A: I use multi-camera for stunts; for all the dramatic action, I use single-camera. Shooting single-camera means I've already seen every frame as it’s gone through the gate because my attention isn't divided to multi-cameras. So I see it all and I watch dailies every night. If you’re always shooting multi-camera, you shoot an enormous amount of footage, and then you have to go in and start from scratch, which is tricky time-wise.

>Q: Without shot lists or storyboards, how do you keep track of everything?

A: In my head. I've always been able to visualize what I want mentally, and I can lie there at night and cut the film in my head, one shot at a time, all the way through the whole thing. Watching dailies, which everybody used to have to do but now seems to be much more of an option, is an important process for memorizing the material. After memorizing it, you can then cut it in your head as you proceed, and when you get into the edit suite you know exactly where to find things.
>>
TDKR really failed to deliver, for me.

Its potential was sky-high and it felt like I got a rushed product.
>>
>>83481880
Fincher is probably the most overrated director desu
>>
>>83481799
>Katie Holmes
>masterpiece
>>
>>83482125
What a hack.
>>
I thought this scene was odd too. It took me a second rewatch to realize that was the same person.
>>
>>83481305
with so many people and such a huge production and so much equipment you can't really afford to stop and get everyone back into position and get the effects rigged up again etc. for another take because of some dopey extra

That said Nolan is certainly a hack
>>
>>83482198
The Social Network is his best film.
>>
>>83482215
Holy shit he's lazy as fuck
>>
>>83481305

He came right out and said he only did one take for TDKR because he was sick of making capeshit.
>>
>>83482125
>>83482215
He's not a hack. He's a good indie drama director that got handed huge action movies for some unknown reason. It's like putting a classical guitarist in a rock band. They can be brilliantly skilled, but they're being given a job that requires a completely different set of skills.
>>
>>83482125
>I make it up as I go along because I'm way out of my depth but hey, I've gotten away with it so far, so maybe I always will. Always underestimate the general public.
>>
>>83482322
classical guitarist confirmed for being lazy hacks
>>
>>83482332
Is Christopher Nolan the Donald Trump of Directors
>>
>>83481305
Even thou he doesnt take more then one take, his films are better then most
>>
>>83481388
this. also he doesn't give a shit how actual humans talk. his dialogues are just blatant exposition or a sequence completely wooden one liners.
>>
>>83481659
obviously a heart attack off screen, there is no blood or bullet holes
>>
>>83482390
No but your mother is the world champion of nigger jizz guzzlers. Congratulations.
>>
>>83482436
>thou
>>
>>83482436
He's trying to make something interesting, I give him that.
>>
>>83481305
it's because he literally has autism, he only ever do 4 takes and then he picks whatever take he thought turned out best
i wish i was joking
>>
https://youtu.be/801sR_U1Xkw
>>
>>83481541
how was it lazy?
>>
>>83482125

Here's also a good "takedown" of his cinematic style, done by probably the most respected American film theorist alive.

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2012/08/19/nolan-vs-nolan/

Most likely no one will ever open the link since we're on /tv/ after all, but at least I tried.
>>
>>83481305

he really is terrible

I was watching TDK the other day and there's that amazing scene where the Joker gives the first "want to know how I got these scars?" speech to the black gangster while holding the knife to his face and then... the black guy just falls over? did Joker cut his face and it killed him somehow? did the guy just get so scared he fainted? wtf happened? you cant tell because the editing is off the charts dogshit
>>
>>83481743
>his only criticism is that its boring
>he thinks he still has taste
>>
>>83482436
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICPv7mqlis
>>
>>83481978
This, also the movie has massive plot holes and really makes no logical sense at all. Ham-fisted acting is unintentionally hilarious throughout the entire film, I busted out luaghing in the crowded theater when Dent kept shrieking "Racheeeeel!!!" Fucking kek
>>
Seriously, how is this whole scene so terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS09KosADQE
>>
He's just Michael Bay with good photography. I'd say cinematography but his cinematography is absolute fucking garbage, as that's supposed to encapsulate an entire film, which, when you look at sequences in TDKR, the cinematography is absolute fucking horse shit.
>>
>>83481894
This exactly. Insomnia, I really don't remember whether that was good, but that's it.
For an added bonus, his Batman movies were the original semi-decent capeshit praised for being oh so deep and mature, ergo today's shit is in a large part his fault.
>>
>>83483183
you seen 13 hours? nolan is a lot worse than bay
>>
>>83481543
literally shitposting
>>
>>83481644
>phone poster
>>
I think this was cut badly because they were limited in what they could show in a pg-13 movie, and they just did the best they could and gave up.

I hate Nolan for his terrible fight choreography and cinematography during fight scenes. He did 3 batman movies and didn't get any better

I guess part of his auteur perspective is that there are just things he doesn't care about and will overlook. Like emotionally developed characters and good fight choreography.
>>
>>83482796
A fucking Seinfeld episode does "complex storytelling" better than a Nolan film.
>>
>>83482796
>http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2012/08/19/nolan-vs-nolan/
I read it anon. Also I'm a girl
>>
>caring about extras or stuntdoubles

These are things only self important film embryos care about. And extra looking at a camera isn't a big deal. Stunt doubles exist. Why is this upsetting? It's upsetting because you're an idiot.

Take a step back and realize that movies are literally adults playing pretend for money. Nolan is a mediocre director but you aren't a critic, you're an idiot.
>>
Did vehicle hit him?
>>
>>83481305
How did he dieded?
>>
>>83481644
>year of our lord 2017
>not shitting at your desk
>>
>>83481388

Are we talking about Nolan or Snyder ?
>>
>>83481388
rarely do you see such a 100% accurate post like this
>>
>>83481799
>How did he manage to fuck up TDKR so much?

Felt shit for killing heith
Didn't give a fuck since everybody sucked his dick for TDK
Contract job to get Warner funding for his next real movie
>>
>>83481305
is this an edit? where's the real shot?
>>
>>83485200
Snyder is too blunt to appear pretentious.
>>
Tbh I have not watched any Nolan movie that I didn't enjoy. All of them have at least a few very great aspects like the acting from the Prestige, the soundtracks and visuals from Interstellar and the story and take on the comic book movie from TDK. He's overrated but all of his movies have amazing and memorable scenes.
>>
Nolan knows how to hire great cinematographers and composer and how to get them to work well together.

Take some pretty shots. Play some crazy over the top bombastic music to entice a reaction from the audience.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.