[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf was up with the way Fargo S2 portrayed Ronald Reagan??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2609.jpg (54KB, 768x433px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2609.jpg
54KB, 768x433px
Wtf was up with the way Fargo S2 portrayed Ronald Reagan??
>>
>>83448891
Bruce is perfect. I wish he was my dad.
>>
>>83449068
Bruce was fine. I'm just curious why they wrote the character the way they did
>>
Everybody was feeling a loss of purpose like America had declined which was further enhanced by the violence happening all around them
Thats why the characters talk about their being a seeming sickness in the world and Vietnam seems to them to have taken a huge toll on the national psyche
Reagan signals a new era of restored American power and family as the families of the show are dying, basically signalling America (at least in people's psyche) is back and normal again
But this turn around doesnt happen until after the massacre and Reagan isnt really able to do that much personally for the actual sick, only offer the promise that it will get better
>>
>>83449391
Im so glad im not the only person who watches and pays attention to this show.
I swear to God it seems like people in the live threads cant remember anything from over 2 episodes ago. Much less last season.
>>
>>83448891
I haven't seen Fargo but every time I hear about, I see another actor.
Is this entire show full of bigger actors?
>>
>>83449391
You didn't address why he's portrayed as a bumbling fool in the show though
>>
>>83449871
how was he a bumbling fool? from what I remember he gave a speech or two and then had a conversation with lou where he was unable to give him a good answer for his doubts and worries
>>
>>83449938
the entire circumstance of Lou and him at the urinals felt like it had a subtext of mockery
>>
>>83450084
I only thought they were showing hiw early his Alzheimers started in his life. I don't think it was a mockery. Reagan was really like that, a good man who's mind was taken too soon.
>>
bruce was fine as reagan but i dont know why the hell that was in the show, seemed completely random
>>
>>83450342
>something random in Fargo
You don't say!
>>
>>83450084

Bruce wanted it to be as faithful as possible

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-bruce-campbell-ronald-reagan-838622

>From your point-of-view, what is the key to playing Ronald Reagan as a character, rather than just doing a Ronald Reagan impression?

>For sure! You have to think about what he was up to at that particular time, which was campaigning. He changed his philosophy. He was much more liberal. He solidified some of his opinions and beliefs when he worked for GE for five years as a spokesman. That got him really good at speaking and he became good at extemporaneous speaking and that got him into the whole corporate thing. I think mostly with Reagan, you've got to believe what you say. He believed what he said. He was a true believer in himself. I don't think he was a bullshit artist.
>>
>How important is it for you to remember that this was 1979 Reagan and not the 1980s Reagan who comes to mind first for many of us now?

>Yeah, he wasn't the jelly bean Reagan. This guy was on the move. He hadn't been shot yet and he was still a very vital guy. … We wanted to make sure that the hair was right. I've got enough hair left so we just beefed up what I had. But Reagan, boy that guy had hair. And the other thing is that he told jokes a lot before his speech. It was really crazy. There's a lot of footage. He's a modern president, so a lot of his stuff is available to watch and he'd start with a Russian joke. He was always taking cheap shots at the Russians. He wanted to impress upon the American people that Russians were really just a bunch of backwater schmos run by an idiot and that we shouldn't worry about them like, "This is what these people are up against over there. They need to revolt."

>I don't know how he did it, but boy he sure made life simple. "Things can be good again. Things can be great again." And it was amazing how the '80s became the '50s again in a weird way. But the one thing I noticed about his cabinet, even at that time, is they were all old men, they were all doddering old men. That's fine. They had a lot of experience. But I just felt, even then, that they were completely out of touch.
>>
>You were a young man at this point. What are your memories of the 1979 that Reagan was rising in?

>I'll tell you what, 1979 sucked, aside from us making Evil Dead. The investment climate was gnarly. Interest rates were bad. I remember the lines at the gas pumps very specifically. … It wasn't a very happy time. People weren't happy with Carter. They thought he was weak. And Reagan, it's pretty telling that literally like the day after he was inaugurated they freed the hostages and that was something Carter had really been working on and I think basically he was sending a message of, "You'd better f---ing release those hostages now that I'm running the show or it's over." It was reminiscent of the George W. [Bush] approach: "We are still the superpower. You will listen to us. And if you f--- with us, you're really going to regret it." It's just different approaches.

>Carter, aside from the fact that he's a very caring man who obviously cares about humans, but I don't think the impression of him was that good at that time. So '79 was kind of crappy. I can see why a guy could come in and rally everybody out of their stupor and who better than an actor? And I have to say this: I also have stuff in common with him. I've done plenty of B-movies, so I kind of get that. We're both from the Midwest. He's from Illinois. I'm from Michigan. So it wasn't a big stretch like coming up with a "Hahvahd accent." I didn't have to do anything silly like that.
>>
>Reagan does, however, have that very distinctive voice and cadence and you're doing the quieter version, as opposed to like the Phil Hartman SNL version. How did you decide when you had enough Reagan that people would recognize it, but not too much Reagan?

>I just think he has a cadence whether it's loud or small. He was a good speaker! Some people don't remember, but he did radio forever. All these old-timers did radio. So I think that was mostly just how he spoke. And I also wanted to avoid the Johnny Carson version of Ronald Reagan, too. (Shifts to Carson-Reagan) "Mmm-hmm." That was just completely over-the-top. But you still pick out mannerisms in each of those. Whether it's Phil Hartman or me or Johnny Carson, there's still aspects that are always going to be there about him. The way he shook his head, a little bit. Everybody, when they speak, they have a certain thing they do with their body language, so it was really that. It wasn't anything over-the-top. And my suits had to fit. I had to make sure they fit, because that's important.
>>
>>83449068
>Bruce is perfect.
he wasn't in spiderman 4 so no he isn't
>>
>>83449871
>>83450084
>I love the scene with Reagan and Lou at the urinal, because that scene seems to capture both Reagan's believable empathy, but also how superficial and empty he could come across. How did you approach that scene?

>(Laughs.) He doesn't have an answer! He doesn't have all the answers. We can say that we have all the answers. We can get up there and give speeches and tell people, "You know if you want a great country again, here's what we have to do," but it doesn't stop people from getting cancer. It doesn't stop their lives from being discarded. Speeches aren't going to stop anything. So yes, the theory is great. "Let's pick ourselves up by our bootstraps" and he honestly believes that as an American you can overcome anything, even your wife who's dying. He couldn't abandon his approach, but it does show a little bit of the fallibility of it, that it is a pie in the sky theory. Instead of being the president goes, "I feel your pain, all you poor people, we're going to help you right now," that was not the approach. If you were poor, that was your fault. Americans can do anything. Why are you poor? "You just have to work a little harder." He's still stuck with the attitude at the time, "Well, if you just roll up your sleeves and sweat a bit..."

So it wasn't mockery, it just showed that Reagan was as fallible as anyone.

>>83450865

Can't be in a movie that doesn't exist.
>>
>>83450920
Thank you for this mane
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.