[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was Nolan thinking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 16

File: Luv.jpg (203KB, 1179x719px) Image search: [Google]
Luv.jpg
203KB, 1179x719px
He knocked a literal 10/10 sci-fi kino down to 7/10 at best with this new age hippie pseudoscience bullshit.
>>
>new age
you mean the oldest wisdom of the ancients?
>>
Love was Coopers own take on what was happening, but "love" was not what created the interdimensional space. If anything knocks down the score (to 9/10), it's the paradox of future humans creating a space for present day humans to use. Even then, it can be discussed and debated on. But, no, it wasn't the power of love, even if the main character did shout it aloud.
>>
>>83436314
I wanted to die in the theater. I was cringing so hard it was brutal. I should just have walked out.
>>
>>83436314

Why the fuck is his helmet so comically small in this movie? In every shot it looks like Matthew Six Pack in Bonzai Kitten the movie.

Also the only thing that can defeat Spaceman Matthew is books, lol.
>>
>>83436333
Do you literally not know that New Age is simply the rebranding of ancient shitty worthless far East philosophy?
>>
>>83436314
>boohoo two lines I don't like COMPLETELY ruined the movie ughhhhh

Google peak-end rule to find out how primitive your opinion forming really is.
The film is a 7/10 AT BEST, but certainly not just because of a cringy line or two. If those two lines were the only problem the film had then it would be basically a 10/10 film, which it certainly isn't.
>>
>>83436651
did anyone actually watch this film or are they retards who think love is what allows him to send the message back in time?
>>
>>83436314
He was thinking about retarded normalfags.
>>
>>83436884

pretentious gasbag poser detected
>>
>>83436884
>two lines I don't like
The ending is going into a black hole and using your LOVE POWER to save the universe though
>>
I settle for 8/10

>Most characters are good
>Very good visuals
>God-tier soundtrack
>Plot is deep enough, although a bit "cheesy"
>TARS is honestly not that bad
>Fantastic plotline emotions brought by good acting (don't even dare arguing)

I honestly only dislike the love monologue from Hathaway
I have a bit of a distaste for the whole Dr. Mann sequence, but it's not a far-fetched occurence for this specific movie
>>
>>83436314
Yes, the writing was terrible.
>>
>>83437097
>LOVE POWER
yes love gave him superpowers that definitely happened in the movie
>>
>>83437111
>>Plot is deep enough

lmao, like the plot has to be "deep" to be considered good
>>
File: 1496091178071.png (288KB, 554x366px) Image search: [Google]
1496091178071.png
288KB, 554x366px
>>83437155
For Interstellar, yes, you absolute mongoloid
>>
Nolan is pure trash
>>
>>83437097

that's a staple in chick flicks and chick shows. whether it's charmed, supergirl or this movie, it's love or feelings or i-believe-in-you that gives them that needed strength, power or whatev at the critical moment.

feelings and relationships in chick universe also have a real effect on superpowers like smallville clark in season 8 or 9 not being able to fly because, as explained by his father, of his human feelings and maintaining relationships with humans.
>>
File: praise.jpg (393KB, 656x732px) Image search: [Google]
praise.jpg
393KB, 656x732px
>>83436314

If you were not moved while watching Interstellar in IMAX you're probably too dumb to understand the movie, stick to Michael Bay and capeshit please.
I stepped out of the theater after watching Interstellar and literally fell to my knees and thrust my arms into the air.

"NOLAN!" I cried.

I cried a lot that much for the first time in my life.

I couldn't believe the masterpiece I had just witnessed. I felt like throughout the entire film Nolan himself was speaking to me, through space and time, his love was there. He assured me that a new era of film has arrived, a new era to save us from these lackluster movies we are accustomed too.

When the ship was about to make its descent into black hole, the three people sitting behind me simultaneously shot their load, some landing on me, but I didn't care. I was already in full spasm from the orgasmic cinematography I was seeing.

In all seriousness this a solid 15/10.

It's about 3 years now and I'm still wiping my tears as I try to relive that moment, I'm afraid I will never experience this exhilarating joy and sadness ever again in my life.

Thank you Nolan... Thank you ;_;
>>
>>83437234
Chick's feel comfy when they see people on the screen believing in each other through the Power of love?

Wtf
>>
>>83437234
jrpgs too
>>
love beats the dark coldness of space. fuck off nolan.
>>
File: 1466748675410.jpg (19KB, 523x637px) Image search: [Google]
1466748675410.jpg
19KB, 523x637px
>>83437244
>>
>>83437189
No it doesn't you turboautist.
It could just be a film about exploring other hospitable planets, it doesn't need a 4D Tesseract bookshelf that has access to every instance in time for it to be good.
>>
>>83437285
Lmao when he was playing those strings to make shit happen I couldn't take it anymore

Laughable
>>
>>83437244
I know this is a meme but I really think that Interstellar should be viewed in IMAX only and that viewing it at home (whatever your setup is) is practically worthless.
It was an actual experience, audio visual candy.
>>
>>83437154
It literally did though. The reason why he could communicate with the kid is because of LOVE POWER. Are you really too stupid to figure out the LOVE POWER film?
>>
>>83437244
>film badly done does not move audience
>bawwwwww you're too dumb to understand

lame attempt at backpedalling
>>
File: christopher-nolan11.jpg (26KB, 296x400px) Image search: [Google]
christopher-nolan11.jpg
26KB, 296x400px
>>83437244

This film has honestly changed my life.

I went into it not expecting much, considering that was hyped to shit . Holy fucking shit , I was I blown away. I was hooked, like a baby to a tit with creamy foamy milk. I could feel the energy and hype flowing through my body, bringing light to my dull life. I resonated with Cooper. I could feel his struggle and his desire to surpass his limitations, something that struck me hard. Everything suddenly stopped when I heard the words:

>"It's not impossible, it's necessary"

and I started trembling. That was me, I feel like I've been my life has been impossible these past years. I haven't been able to hold a steady job, my grades were starting to slip, and my parents suspect that I'm gay. It was right then and there that I knew that I had to get my shit together. I can't think of any other movie that has had such a profound effect on me, let alone on the first 2 hours. Ever since that absolute kinography experience I'm a change man, I'm a better man. Thank you, Interstellar, thank you Nolan.

>"It's necessary."
>>
>>83437254
>feel comfy
Chicks watch sci-fi flicks to feel comfy? Wft
>>
File: IMG_0959.jpg (71KB, 833x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0959.jpg
71KB, 833x1000px
Wow this is a bad thread. Even by kinotard standards this is a really bad thread
>>
>he knocked a potential 10 down to a 5 by not having any anne panties.
>>
>>83437285
>It could just be a film about exploring other hospitable planets
Too bad it's not, you incoherent ignoramus¨

The premise is that there are strange things happening on earth, including the bookshelf voodoo
If all that had zero strings attached to the movie being "deep", it'd be an utter dissapointment

It's not like just exploring other planets would make for a movie as good as Interstellar anyway
>>
>>83436314
nolan disease: creating something close to being great and then ruining it by adding some retarded element that significantly detracts from the whole experience
>>
>>83437339
so you now think that saving humanity is the same as having a stable career life? lmao
>>
File: tfwcrying.gif (486KB, 200x140px) Image search: [Google]
tfwcrying.gif
486KB, 200x140px
>>83437244
>>83437339

Where did you watch? In my theatre, people were also crying and praising after the movie. A mother went into labour but didn't want to leave since she might miss the film.

Afterwards, she named her baby

NOLAN
>>
reminder that this is the same board that jerk offs over anime which the power of friendship and love as their theme constantly
>>
>>83437465
I watch anime precisely for these good feels, and I liked Interstellar for that too. I even cried a little.

btw I'm a boy ;)
>>
Id rate this in my top 10 all time. The backlash against this is the same as prometheus. Its too mainstream to say you enjoy it so you pick it apart for its inaccuracies when you cant just take a step back and enjoy it.
>>
>>83436651
this

Also, the scene with Anne being sentimental is just that. The ending doesn't prove anything. And I too how the paradox works.
>>
>>83436314
Don't be a fag OP. Love is the only thing that makes it worthwhile to live in this universe. There is no other reason to try to live in this unpleasant hell we call life other than limitless love that makes it all worth it in the end.
>>
>>83437328
congratulations you literally didn't get a fucking nolan movie

He was able to communicate with his kid via the tesseract which was created by humans from the future. All love did was give him the motivation to get to the tesseract and give him an idea on how to communicate with his daughter.
>>
>>83436314
Virgins dont get this movie no wonder tv hates it
>>
>>83437254

by "giving them the needed strength, whatev at critical moment" i meant the protagonist in the movie or show not the female viewers. for example, in one supergirl episode, kara was trying to stop a spaceship from dropping and she didn't have the strength to stop it but another girl (her sister, i think) in the cockpit puts her hand on cockpit windshield to show she believes in her they touch hands through glass and suddenly kara gains the strength to stop ship. in an episode of charmed, one sister couldn't fight off enemy spell then her sister screams "use your love!" and suddenly she's able to beat the enemy.

>>83437347

they're not really sci-fi flicks. they're chick flicks pretending to be sci-fi like divergent and hunger games and this movie.
>>
>>83437623
This nigga knows the score
>>
>>83437553
Of course, but that doesn't mean you can save the world with just the power of love
>>
>>83437478

not a realboy you're a fakeboy
>>
>>83437652
well it's a good thing that didn't happen in Interstellar then
>>
It takes a true retard to not understand that line.

Hatheway's character is not implying that love is some substance un-measurable by scientific instruments that is not affected by time and space. She's saying that the human concept of love, as has evolved over our entire existence through the many different societies and eras, can be a sole motivator to make someone do something. One of the major themes of the movie is about the balance between love and time/distance. Head down to this aqueous planet and spend years away from your loved ones? Travel light-years away from your loved ones and be unable to contact them? But love guides the characters to do what they do no matter how far away they are, no matter how long it takes them.

Sure, it's just a combination of chemicals and mental responses to generations of societal conditioning. But that's still love.
>>
>>83436651
>>83436901
>>83437517
>>83437691
>headcanonfags bending over backwards to rationalize shitty writing

kek
>>
>>83437691
I understood it just well when she said it
Doesn't make it less forced and unimmersive
>>
>>83436651
While true, it seems wildly inconsistent with the story so far.

Take another Nolan film, Inception: it's established early on that the dream world is highly addictive, but also degenerative to a person's mental state. Having a trinket to help indicate whether you're in reality or not then becomes an important plot piece the audience is made familiar with. So the end scene, where there's conjecture about whether or not he's still in the dream, has some established background and the debate is legitimate.

As for Interstellar, I don't think there's anything to support that Cooper is just perceiving his own version of inter-dimensional space. It's not established earlier on and there's never a conflicting worldview provided. In fact, one of the major plots of the movie is Murph's search for an ultimate truth to help save humanity.
>>
>>83437576
And why did that tesseract connect him to the kid and not to the fucking president of United States? Because of love and stuff
>>
>>83437815
I mean they explicitly mention in the film that the tesseract was created by the bulk beings to help humanity but if you want to believe that Matthew Mcconaughey used love superpowers to fly into a black hole then don't let me stop you, you fucking retard
>>
>>83437858
It's almost like that kid grows up to be the scientist that comes up with the theory that saves humanity or something, I dunno I only half watched the movie
>>
>>83437866
Because his daughter would be the only person to get the idea how to solve the problem of Quantum mechanics you fucking Moron.
>>
>>83437909
she's the only person who trained under Michael Caine who was the closest to solving the problem
>>
File: 1459648890011.jpg (112KB, 995x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1459648890011.jpg
112KB, 995x1002px
>>83437858
Holy fuck, how are you allowed to breathe?
>>
>>83437923
As with almost every time travel story in movies its a retarded Deux Ex Machina Grandfather Paradoxon but the Cube was created by Humans from the future and they " knew " who solved the problem and therefore needed to be contacted.
>>
>>83436651
It was the "love" of the future humans that saved them.
>>
>>83437998

why didn't they just send the message directly instead of going through all that drama?
>>
>>83436333

>trips

Kek be praised!

But what wisdom do you speak of anon?
>>
>>83438410
They needed Matthew McConaughey's love.
>>
File: 4fb.jpg (66KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
4fb.jpg
66KB, 680x680px
>>83437244
>tfw to intelligent for capeshit
>>
>>83437998
>>83438410
>>83438725
This. It's contrived bullshit. Interstellar was good until after they went through the wormhole. After that, the retardations pile up.
Still a decent movie overall though.
>>
>>83437858
because it was constructed b humans for that very purpose, you dense waste of skin
>>
>Literally telling people the theme of the movie instead of letting them interpreted it for themselves

Why do audiences have to be spoonfed so much?
>>
>>83439029
>i don't want to spoonfeed
>the ambiguity was intentional
>i left it open to interpretation

lame excuses to cover up mistakes, lack of talent and low quality work
>>
It was love.

The interdimensional time travelers who helped the humans did so purely out of love for other conscious beings.
>>
love is fucking gay, I wish it never existed.
>>
File: 1467061607484.jpg (25KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467061607484.jpg
25KB, 720x480px
>>83439262
>>
from what we know of black holes wouldn't a human in a spacesuit just die near instantly upon entering it?
>>
Actually it was the power of cuckolding that let him send the message back in time
>>
>>83437244
Unironically the best movie of th
>>
>>83436314
Poor man's 2001
It's a 6/10 at best. With some edits and cuts could have been a 8/10.
>>
>>83439357
brapbrapbrapbrapbrap
>>
>>83437244
unironically this.

people complaining about Interstellar when they saw it on their 14inch toshiba laptop lol
>>
>>83436314
What pseudoscience? You sound like a knucklehead. If you didn't like the cheesy melodrama, that's fine. Just don't mouth off about shit you didn't even get.
>>
>>83436314
That's exactly how I felt when I watched it the first time. They went full retard in the home stretch.
>>
>>83437480
This is some serious cancer posting right there.
>>
>>83439308

dude, stop applying science and logic to a chick flick. what matters in a chick flick is how did they feel and what did they say and how did they say it and were they wearing shoes that matched the color of their eyes when they said it.
>>
After thinking for a while about the story I came to this conclusion. This movie I felt is about connections, bounds. Love is a very hard and enduring bound and in a similar manner is docking a spaceship. There are times of tension and hardship but also of warmth and pleasure. And sex as well, works in a similar fashion. Yes, sex can be hard and it can be even a little tough to pull out in the end sometimes. But the thing unifying all of these elements is without a doubt the beauty of life. The human experience. Sight and vision and sounds. Life is a wonder
I think this has a great message to send in the end.
>>
>>83436314
>don't know how to tie your movie together and end it
>all this time shit is bound to make the audience confused
>better throw in some basic "love is the solution" meme to work peoples emotions so they stop thinking about the "science"
>>
>>83436314
They could have done more but the film couldn't go past more than one generation, which any space exploration would likely have to, in which case the new generation would have to be loyal and committed to Earth despite never seeing it. Space exploration would be worthless if any new societies just broke down after all.
>>
"The Prestige" is his best flick.
>>
>>83439639
>This movie I felt is about
>I felt

pretentious gasbags really love tl;dr yammering

protip: when you start pontificating irl we tune you out and laugh at you behind your back
>>
File: 1495700458241.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1495700458241.png
29KB, 741x568px
>Need a massive array of NASA bullshit to get off of earth
>Their tiny landing-craft thing is able to just fly off the planet with hyper-gravity

How?
>>
>>83439806
the space jews only let them fuel with their magic ash when in space
>>
I knew it was going to suck when they stumble on the nasa base in the middle of the night and all the crew are doing a roundtable...And they were about to launch theoir mission but needed a pilot...Then they arrive on the first planet and the bearded guy acts like a retard gets stuck on planet...
>>
File: 1495840304941.jpg (35KB, 322x226px) Image search: [Google]
1495840304941.jpg
35KB, 322x226px
>>83437244
Haven't keked this hard since Agents of CIA
>>
>>83439156
Not sure if you're agreeing with me.
>>
>>83436901
The people on /tv that dislike the movie are upset because they think Nolan wanted love to be similar to metachlorians in that it was a measurable thing that could change time and space.

Yes, your average /tv poster is this stupid. This is why you don't listen to someone's opinion when they say this movie isn't incredibly good.
>>
>>83439412
>people complaining about Interstellar when they saw it on their 14inch toshiba laptop lol

Does the plot gets better if you watch it in the cinema?
>>
File: scullymully.gif (966KB, 500x579px) Image search: [Google]
scullymully.gif
966KB, 500x579px
>wannabe 2001
>10/10
>>
>>83437328
it's more like someone built a computer that functions off emotions so anyone can use it, these days we have tablets that are faster than large pc's from years ago but they are not nearly as complicated to use, we have icons for everything, shortcuts instead of command lines and stuff, they just made it so that anyone could pick it up and use it
>>
Why did that one retard just stand there and get killed by the wave?
>>
File: 1477768961877.jpg (2MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1477768961877.jpg
2MB, 5000x5000px
>humans are capable of altering the laws of pyshics but still don't look biologically nearly if not completely homogeneous
This always makes me think of what kind of dystopian government lies within the background setting that makes this happen.
This is one thing progressive 'science' loving people will never think about.
>>
>>83436314
I loved that movie, it was so good. Remember this is a love story with heroes and villains in a scifi environment. The cast was great i can only say wow.

Maybe all of the scifi is not perfect and some of the plot was shady (black hole time travel) but it was good enough to send the message through.
>>
>>83436314
I wasn't bothered by the whole thing about love nearly so much as the space library he finds himself floating in at the end, pulling on space-time strings to communicate to the past. "What? Okay this is happening I guess" is not really the feeling I want to be experiencing at the pivotal part of your movie
>>
>>83437111
>Fantastic plotline emotions brought by good acting (don't even dare arguing)

How to spot a pleb. The acting was not good. The actors created very little chemistry. It was your average hollywood performance.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.