[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Culture HBO series when? This has potential to be pure kino

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Culture HBO series when?

This has potential to be pure kino
>>
>>
>>83424413
Nice meme, lad

If there's anything "reddit" about OP, it's the "HBO" meme about how they make "good TV"
>>
How well would it actually translate to film?

I'd be worried that they would turn it into a mindless cgi spectacle with too much emphasis on action.
>>
I tried to read consider plebians but kept getting really bored. There was nothing interesting about the setting and the writing was as bad quality as you woukd expect from sci fi
>>
>>83424688
The Culture series for the most part lends itself well to TV
Most of the characters are "human". Even if they aren't Earth human, they're still human enough to be played by regular actors. Maybe with some extra hair or minor prosthetics.

Player of Games could be very easily done in a TV budget, though Consider Phlebas should be the first.
And even then, it's very plausible. Look at The Expanse. Even with a SyFy budget, it looks good

They can do Idirans with that budget. Hell, they could make Idirans humanoid and it wouldn't affect the story too much.
>>
>>83424819
Nice joke
Consider Phlebas was the most action packed Culture book.

But if somehow you aren't meming, the Culture series really gets amazing by Use of Weapons, when all the world building comes together as a brilliant deconstruction of sci-fi utopia
>>
>>83424819
I felt the same way at first. Tried getting into the series but could never even finish Consider Phlebas. Finally got through it about two years ago, been working my way through the rest. Have 1.5 books left. Consider Phlebas is by far the most action packed of them all, but that didn't mean anything to me at first. Why the main guy hates the culture, who the culture are, I didn't care about any of that. Trust me when I say that it comes together later on. Skip the first book, read Player of Games instead. After Look to Windward, then read Consider Phlebas. You'll actually understand what that war actually meant to the Culture. At least imo, the first book is an awful introduction and is nothing like the rest of the books. The events are important but you won't give a shit if you read it first.
>>
>>83425104
I read The Player of Games, then Consider Phlebas, then the Use of Weapons

Player of Games is a great intro because, like you said, it establishes what the Culture is and what it cares for. There are some things missing, like what the heck a GSV or a GCU means, but it overall does a good job of explaining who the Culture is

Reading Consider Phlebas after allows you to understand what Horza does not like.

Though, if I were to make a TV show about the Culture series, I'd start with Horza and Consider Phlebas

Since Horza is non-Culture, we can use him to have the Culture explained.
Add some scenes where Horza and Balveda bitch at each other about world views and bam we have some believable exposition about the Idiran/Culture war

Shit, if I were to make a Culture TV show, I'd merge Balveda, that drone in The Player of Games, and Sma from Use of Weapons into on character
>>
File: IMG_1506.jpg (69KB, 297x508px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1506.jpg
69KB, 297x508px
>>83424602
>>
>>83425319
Did you get that off /r/4chan?
>>
http://imgur.com/a/IaOnC#0

Random but related images.
>>
>>83425678
>That Matter cover
Jesus Christ am I a sucker for those nice planet designs, beautiful

In other news, how worthwhile are the Culture books to read? After I finish Forever War and Starship Troopers I'm looking for more good sci-di and I'm not sure if I want to try Ringworld or Culture after.
>>
>>83425741
Ringworld is good but very autistic.

I've been going through every major sci-fi series these couple years
I'm about near the end now and the Culture series has been in the top 3 for sure.

Use of Weapons might be my favourite sci-fi book ever.
But it needs context.

The Peter Kenny audiobooks are amazing if you're into that.
Whatever way you get into them, read Use of Weapons third.
Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games are interchangable, but I think the publish order is good for when it comes to growing a doubt about the Culture
>>
>>83425875
Alright, thanks for the suggestions bud. I'm trying to go through as many sci-fi novels as possible as well, particularly military sci-fi (I know Ringworld isn't military but I found the concept fascinating regardless)
>>
>>83425988
>military sci-fi
You've said Forever War and Starship Troopers (both very good). Have you read Old Man's War or Mote in God's Eye?

The former is a modern militaristic sci-fi and the latter is an older school type focused on Navy type stuff

I like both a lot for different reasons
>>
>>83424321
>The Culture is a hedonistic society full of sex and drugs
>HBO
How could they not?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.