[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone else feel bad for Henry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: images (32).jpg (35KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
images (32).jpg
35KB, 400x600px
Did anyone else feel bad for Henry?
>>
File: steamava.jpg (114KB, 663x700px) Image search: [Google]
steamava.jpg
114KB, 663x700px
Yeah, he got handed a pretty rough deal. It's kind of a classically kafkaesk situation, isn't it? A guy who, as far as we know, probably doesn't deserve it having terrible and inexplicable things happening to him.

At least the ending implies he finally found peace. More than Kafka's protagonist could ever ask for.
>>
>>83410256
His life is a prison full of bad things that happen to him that he didn't really ask for or chose to have with bad decisions. He just made decisions he thought would've turned out normal like everyone elses instead they all went wrong.
>>
>>83410256
Only because I didn't know what the fuck was going on half the time and I'm not sure he did either.
>>
Harry is alright. Harry is going to be alright.
>>
File: 1495996449813.jpg (19KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
1495996449813.jpg
19KB, 396x594px
>>83410470
>kafkaesk

Fucking retard
>>
>>83410624

To be fair: Whatever is considered normal in his world is still pretty damn weird and creepy to everyone in ours. For all we know people ending up with children that obviously aren't human is something that happens to a lot of people there.
>>
>>83410727
monkey see, monkey do
>>
>>83410736
Maybe everything that happens to him in the film is just his anxieties manifested, like his child did have a birth defect but in his mind he saw it as something much much worse.

To me the whole film is about anxiety, not just about being a parent.
>>
>>83410798
Anxiety about life?
>>
>>83410798

You know, it's tempting to take an "everything is a metaphor" approach to a movie like Eraserhead because obviously what we're seeing isn't reality as we know it, nor is it a fantasy universe with clearly defined, relatable rules. And I do think it capture the mind of a person suffering certain anxieties, where everything starts to feel oppressive and monstrous quite well.

However, I also think there is some merit to just watching it and accepting that, as far as the events we're seeing are concerned, this is the literal reality of the movie and there isn't another more realistic layer to it we just aren't seeing.

You might have heard that David Lynch actually did live in a postindustrial ghetto in Philadelphia when he was making it and his oldest daughter actually was born with a clump foot but he says it isn't meant to be autobiographical and we should just take his word for it.
>>
>>83410256
I felt bad for myself for watching something so horrible
>>
>>83410798
I kind of think this is the case but don't other people see the moving chickens and freak out? If it wasn't for that one scene I'd assume the whole movie was metaphorical but that part throws me.
>>
>>83411034
it's definitely scenes like that where Lynch breaks the rules of whatever realistic world that could've been just metaphorical projections of the main character take place that throw off assumptions like mine out the window.

One thing I've learned with Lynch is that some things are quite literal and to be taken at face value, then he toys with that expectation to take it at face value then throws something completely interpretive at you. Mulholland Drive does this alot.

>>83410962
Related to what I said above, I think you need to take it both ways, since if you lean one way or the other of it being all a metaphor or all fantastically literal the movie tends to hope from one to the other intentionally to throw you off. Like yes, Henry's child is a freakish monster and its real but its just all Lynch's projections of anxieties.

I don't know really, it's a juggling act.
>>
Would you hug Mary X?
>>
>>83411034

There are some implications that that's just the way this world is and that there are some consistent rules and a kinda internally consistent logic to the things that are happening.

Not enough for the viewer to be able to know what exactly is going on, I'm still at a loss to what the man in the planet's dead is but... you know, it's there.

>>83411286

Sure, but these metaphorical projections aren't that of Henry Spencer, the character but David Lynch, the director. You could also come to certain conclusions about, say, Tolkiens mindset and worldview when reading Lord of the Rings and it might be very interesting in its own right but that doesn't mean Frodo is really just some dude from an english village going on hike to throw away his garbage and meeting a bunch of people along the way.
>>
He might have been a cuck. Though I don't know what'd be worse: If that baby actually was his or if it wasn't.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.