[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Japan make such good films? I am no weeb and I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: afterthestorm.jpg (876KB, 1000x1492px) Image search: [Google]
afterthestorm.jpg
876KB, 1000x1492px
Why does Japan make such good films?

I am no weeb and I think Japanese culture is highly over glorified, but almost every Japanese film I have seen (modern and classic) has been amazing.

I just saw pic related, well worth it if anyone can go to the theaters to see.

They just seem to be able to make thought provoking and engaging films, without trying so hard and forcing an artistic feel.
>>
kore-eda the modern goat, weerasethakul and hong sang hoo are overrated
>>
>>83396437
I would recommend watching Kiyoshi Kurosawa stuff.
>>
>>83396437
Most of the modern mainstream stuff in Nip cinema is actually the same crap you can find in any country on earth, be it USA, Germany or Brazil: poor book adaptations, shitty live action films, CGI, crappy romcoms, etc., but since only the 'better' more thoughtful stuff makes it across the border, you may get the idea its flawless.
To begin with, it manages to reach the Western world because it fits a niche that Western cinema can't.

>without trying so hard and forcing an artistic feel.
What the fuck does "artistic feel" even mean?
>>
>>83396551
>weerasethakul and hong sang hoo are overrated
they're also not Japanese
>>
>>83396845
Basically this. You're not hearing of their shit.
>>
>>83396437
I loved it.
>>
>>83396437
Culture of craftsmanship.
>>
>>83396437
Simple - the atmosphere is purposefully created unlike in Hollywood were focus groups are involved in literally everything. If this film was made in Hollywood, it would undoubtedly have a normie filter to it that would make it seem way cornier than it really is.
>>
>>83396437
A friend actually recommended one of this guy's movies to me Like Father, Like Son. Would you say his stuff is worth watching. I'm always a little unsure about non-English films but I'm trying to diversify what I watch.
>>
>>83396437
Is that Japanese Al Pacino?
>>
>>83399453
Koreeda's films are relatively accessible as far as Japanese arthouse goes. he's heavily influenced by people like Yasujiro Ozu, Tsai Ming-liang, Hou Hsiao-hsien, and Edward Yang, but tends to focus on less risque or controversial topics than Tsai, and on more modern topics than Ozu. Like Father, Like Son is a decent entry point for his work.
>>
>>83399559
Thanks boss
>>
File: cover_full.jpg (589KB, 709x1004px) Image search: [Google]
cover_full.jpg
589KB, 709x1004px
>>83396437
That actor doesn't even look Japanese, really weird. Anyway, I saw this years ago and thought it was remarkable in its portrayal of family life and father/son relations.
>>
File: wingsofthekirin2.jpg (51KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
wingsofthekirin2.jpg
51KB, 604x340px
>>83399630
Abe Hiroshi is definitely Japanese. He's just handsome as fuck for a jap.
>>
>>83399630
This guy really has a thing for the father/son theme I'm noticing.
>>
>>83399453

I saw Like Father, Like Son a few nights ok. Great film. Pretty much what >>83399559 said. You don't need to be a film fanatic to like his stuff, its accessible but also thought provoking.
>>
>>83396437
Lost in translation ussis good
>>
>>83396437
>Why Japan make good films?

Because Japan doesn't deal with all the liberal bullshit that we have in Hollywood.

I.e. we need to include the poor oppressed black man for diversity, we need strongk women, we need the bad guys to be white cis males.

In sum, Japan doesn't have Jews.
>>
>>83399861
JIDF and butthurt libs in 3....2.....
>>
>>83396437
I was waiting for the subs, are they out?
>>
File: 1431599256237.jpg (155KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1431599256237.jpg
155KB, 720x720px
>>83399861

Thread was going good up in till this point.

>summer posting
>>
>>83399877

his opinion is utterly ignorant though
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.