[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strange Days

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Saw this yesterday.
I thought it's a pretty good movie, albeit a very imperfect one. Probably Kathryn Bigelow's best.
While the treatment of the racial discrimination issue is as subtle as a sledgehammer, the film features a "strong black woman" (Mace) who actually is strong, cool and very much likeable. It's now become fashionable to have "strong females" in films, but I find almost none of them to be convincing. Recently Wonder Woman banked on this concept, but I think I can safely assume that her character will also be unconvincing and even repulsive. Mace however comes off as believable and sympathetic. I think the reason is because they wanted to have an actual character and not a device for patronizing viewers. Why is this so hard to do for all these people going full SJW?
While not a cyberpunk movie, strictly speaking, it feels extremely much like one and I'd treat it as one. Great atmosphere and a whole cast of misfits of various degrees, and it basically is entirely about "high tech low life". Only problem is that the characters' level of competence fluctuates strangely -the scene where Lenny frantically grabs his gun under the bed because he heard a sound in his apartment, and then realizes he forgot to put the magazine in so he has to go back to his room and get it is great; the scene where he's watching a VR recording purposefully left for him in what obviously is a set-up, and then he gets surprised by an enemy is less so.
Also I thought the videotape killer actually being Max was very obvious. Am I the only one?
>>
Angela Bassett is one of the most convincing strong women ever.

I think it's the biceps.
>>
Na mate, The Hurt Locker is still KB's best movie, despite whatever tumblr gifs you've stumbled upon
>>
>>83363898

Why has James Cameron, a fucking white male, written better female characters than any female screenwriter in recent memory?
>>
One of my favorite movies. Criterion when.
>>
>>83365380
women can't write for shit because they are shit creators.
mother nature did not make us equal.
>>
actually this is a dreadful movie.

the racial discrimination sub plot is totally hamfisted and moronic.

And it has virtually nothing to do with the main plot.

It's two seperate ,disjointed narratives that have been ineptly forced together.

doesn't it end with the black woman running away and dealing with the two racist cops who are after her by herself while the main character instead has a showdown with figures from his personal life which have virtually nothign to do with the 'racist cops' storyline?

it's a dull and sluggish movie before then too. The only enjoyable thing I can find in this movie is that one of the 'avant-garde' snuff film scenes where the bad guy kills a woman was a bit sexy.

I'm glad I've forgotten nearly everything else about this piece of shit flick.
>>
>>83365380

Males KNOW strength. When they write a strong character, they put traits that make it apparent to the audience the character is strong. Even among other strong characters that may be male, the female will still be seen as strong, since this perception isn't based on contrived weaknesses in thenither characters that are only there to make her seem stronger. She is strong by herself.

When a female writes a strong character they have the other character establish it through dialogue saying it explicitly, she will make other characters seem weaker by comparison or she will have marketing prep audiences to know it beforehand.
>>
The Soundtrack was breddy guud too
>>
>>83363898
Underrated gem marred by Bigelow making James Cameron put a Rodney King plot in for some reason.
>>
>>83366548
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO6vmXtwiSc
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.