/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cabin in the Woods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: cabin_in_woods.jpg (464KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
cabin_in_woods.jpg
464KB, 1000x1500px
Just saw dis movie.
Felt like there's deeper meaning to it.
Dat ending.
Spoilers:
>Some would say they were selfish millennial faggots who should've died for the sacrifice
>Some say ending the world was stupid.
>Yet it was not about that. It was about changing the way things work. In the end it's about hope at the very end of everything.
>Also, praise the Old Ones. Chtulhu Fhtagn
>>
You got that it's a movie about horror movies, right? A metaphor?

The end of the world was the end of the movie, and the giant at the end was the audience themselves.
>>
>>83346086
I mistakenly watched this movie years ago, loved it.
>>
There's no deeper meaning its a horror movie cliche/tropes deconstruction
>>
>>83346115
>>83346164
Mind=blown. Not even memeing.
What other movies have secrets like this?
>>
>>83346115
>smokes weed
i was appeased
>>
Yeah the gag is if the "audience" isnt pleased with the sacrifices, the "world" ends such that the "Director" doesn't get the chance to sacrifice more & the sacrifices don't get another shot in Hollywood.
>>
>>83346115
Right. That's exactly why it works in so many levels. Is it a big "fuck u" to traditional stupid horror genre? Is it a parody? A comedy? A serious movie that is actually telling you stupid just got serious? It's all of those things. It's almost like breaking the 4th wall
>>
>>83346252
I liked the bit about the difference with the Japanese horror movie industry.

Also the harbinger guy who tries to warn the teenagers and they don't listen, so he calls up the movie guys and they don't listen either.
>>
>>83346329
It's called "satire" anon. Of the proper, classical sort.
>>
>>83346344

Elaborate on both? Can't recall.
>>
Overrated
>>
>>83346469
muhrican gods demanded your usual teen group, bunch of teenagers, a slut, an athlete, a pod smoking dude, a scholar, a virgin... typical slasher. Japs didnt care, but used ghost girls with long hair
>>
>>83346469
>>83346469
The scientific institute guys (the filmmakers) are having problems reaching their quota (box office returns). They get a phone call from their corporate office or something like that, talking about their Japanese division. It seems the Japanese office has no problems making their quota. it cuts to a horror scene that's a satire of Japanese horror films. It's got a bunch of Japanese school girls all defeating a ghost whose got long black hair covering her face. (Standard j-horror cliches), implying that j-horror production had a satisfactory ending and the audience was pleased. The guys gripe in a way about how more productive the japanese guys are, say how american workers might gripe about japanese car workers.

The Harbinger is the old guy who runs the rickety old gas station and the protags are driving out into the woods. He warns them not to go out into the woods and they laugh at him for being a crazy old kook, and they ignore him. Then it cuts to the guys back in the lab, and they are satisfied because every horror film (experiment) has to have the teenagers ignoring the warning from an old wise man before the killings actually start, so their movie/sacrifice is proceeding on schedule.

Except the harbinger then calls up the lab guys, and he complains about something like not getting paid on time, or there's something wrong, can't remember the details. And they pretend to have a bad connection and hang up on him, and have a good laugh at his expense. The whole time they just laughed him off and ignored his warning, just like the protags did, and then later the horror starts, as per schedule.
>>
>>83346731
They were all getting btfo by the ghost at the time. When the schoolgirls came back the office guys started to panic
>>
>>83346188
2001: A Space Odyssey you fucking pleb
>>
>>83346637
>>83346731

Thank you kind anons
>>
>>83346086
Anons, serious question, is actually possible to do a coherent sequel for this kind of movie??? Or every part and cliche of this genre in its american already covered here???
>>
>>83346731

Same anon as you answered again. Another question -

>The whole time they just laughed him off and ignored his warning, just like the protags did

Could the message here be construed as harbinger giving the studio/filmmakers warnings that they have to do something different for their "movies" or things will end badly for them? (Increasingly bad return on investment? Bored audiences?)
>>
>>83347231
With enough creativity...
Attack on Titan?
Or "How to seal an Elder God"
However all alternatives seem to take a very divergent course from the horror genre
>>
>>83346086
It was garbage. I heard a theory that the real ending was going to be the girl dying, and the stoner going "Oh shit, now we're all fucked!" Then Weaver's character says, "Actually we're fine, you're the virgin. She was the fool."

They probably changed it to the "world ends" because it was "more dramatic." It's r*dditshit, but the last ten minutes of action before the Sigourney reveal were kino. Reminded me of SCP, which also is r*ddit.
>>
>>83346086
I had zero(0) desire to see this. I never liked horror movies at all, even though I've seen a lot of classics. But I hate these newer horror movies especially. A friend of mine really wanted to see this though and I begrudgingly went with them. When I saw the first couple minutes, our attitudes completely reversed and I was compelled to see where they went with this while they were completely lost.

I loved this move
>>
>>83346086
>>83346086
The movie that killed all horror movies.

I feel they could've gotten dumber kids to set up, rather than all star college students and a naturally paranoid stoner.

But if by seeing the movie you're compelled to ask if people today in powerful places still worship and sacrifice primordial deities, then yes they are doing so quite regularly.

but that movie represented arguably the commodification of human fears and the detached systematization of brutal deaths for a "greater good".
>>
>>83346086
Highly grateful this movie ended in a way that prevented sequels.
>>
>>83347000
Wait, what was the secret in that one?
>>
>>83346086
>>83346115
I thought it was about letting the old cliches (that they'd spent an entire movie unnaturally forcing) die
>>
>>83347715
>the real ending was going to be the girl dying, and the stoner going "Oh shit, now we're all fucked!" Then Weaver's character says, "Actually we're fine, you're the virgin. She was the fool
Hahaha that would have been great, along with a reveal that all the characters were so malleable that any of them could have been interpreted as any cliche - the scholar guy and Marty never got laid that they observed (same as the protagonist girl, who was obviously not a virgin), and Jules and Thor were pumped full of pheromones when they were clearly going to be the first ones to die. If they'd stayed in the cabin, they might have pumped anti-aphrodesiacs (definitely spelled that wrong) so that they didn't have sex on the premises, and then the redhead girl and the nerd might have been exposed instead if they made themselves more vulnerable.

Probably too hard to explain that though, but would have been a great gag about how the characters are so malleable and the company is pulling more strings than is even let on
>>
This is a really great dissection of the movie. I really didn't get any of this when I saw the movie. Just thought it was a dumb horror comedy with a bunch of cliches. Thanks for this thread guys.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.