[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Antiwar message aside, is it better than the book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

Antiwar message aside, is it better than the book?
>>
Yes

Unless you like pages upon pages upon pages upon fucking pages of grating expository narration of the intricacies of militaristic hierarchy
>>
very odd i only watched this for the first time around 2 hours ago. I haven't read the book anon but it's very rooted in the 90's, the special effects are laughable and it's very cheesy. I enjoyed it but I don't think it would be as good as the book, no.
>>
>>83344242
>Antiwar message aside

lol
>>
my number 1 film
>>
>>83344242
No, the movies good but it butchers the books ideas.
>>
>>83344242
I like when they shot the bugs.
>>
It's really strange because the book had WAY better action/military scenes - the power armored assault on the Skinnies at the start of the book sounded awesome. Plus the end where they're putting pressure charges around that moon to drive out the bugs. But ideologically it was a mess.

Meanwhile the movie was rather sensible and fun ideologically while the action scenes felt a bit run-of-the-mill.
>>
>>83346412
>But ideologically it was a mess.
You disagreeing with it doesnt mean it was a mess. Heinlein wasnt a fucking moron. His cynicism towards democracy is cried about and deemed 'dangerous' by the very people who then call for shit like communism.
>>
>>83346412
>ideologically it was a mess

You completely failed to refute one word of it.
>>
The book had some pretty cool shit in it but 2/3rds of it was about boot camp with almost no science fiction shit so I guess it depends what you're looking for. They're too different
>>
>>83348297
I don't need to refute, it refutes itself.
>>
>>83348565

Bullshit. Just admit that it triggered you and made you cry and run to your "safe space".
>>
>>83344242
>no power armor
Love ya Verhoeven but nope
>>
Books are always better
So why am I here and not on /lit/?
>>
>>83344242
did the books go all bible thumper like the movie sequels did?
>>
>>83344242
>Antiwar message aside

Kek. That's the only redeeming quality of your Reddit capeshit.
>>
>>83344242
>Antiwar message aside

I don't think it's saying all war is bad it's just war is often unnecessary and used for (((financial gain))) I mean I don't think Verhoeven wanted us to back away from the nazis
>>
I almost enlisted after reading the book.
>>
>>83344300
IDK about you but that's my jam my man
>>
>>83344242
the book actually means something while the movie is just a action flick that used the title "starship troppers"

I am surrounded by plebiods.
>>
yes. the book is pretty boring.

>>83346412
there was like 2 combat scenes total. the rest was madeup space bootcamp shit. i've read real bootcamp shit that had more going on.
>>
>>83344242
>get a man down during training under you command
>get punished with 10 lashings

>question the logic of the training
>get punished on the spot with a knife to the hand

This movie was cool, but it was kinda stupid too.
>>
>>83350095
They were taking the piss out of people who think those are good things
>>
>>83344300
The military actually has this shit on their summer reading list for kiddies.

Cmon you apes if you want to live forever
>>
File: DoYouWantToKnowMore.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
DoYouWantToKnowMore.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
This movie is part of the "Kinda warhammer 40k if you ignore some stuff" list, mainly due to this is literally how guardsmen are treated, except MI don't have Commissars shooting everyone, and how silly it is.

As for whether it is better than the book? Depends. Book had power armour and the enemy were more alien than bug, but the movie has iconic designs and a different look on the book's ideal society. Guess it depends whether you are interested in military structure or politics about an ambiguous enemy.
>>
>people seriously thinking the book is better

The last part of the book with Johnny's Father joining the corps and reuniting with him is one of the most cringetastic moments in sci-fi. Not to mention it shits ideology

>hurr son I was wrong all along! fuck capitalism! we wuz soldierz, lets go to war
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.