[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dune Thread #4.2x10^8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 1491760048932.jpg (3MB, 1684x2309px) Image search: [Google]
1491760048932.jpg
3MB, 1684x2309px
Will we ever see a new film adaptation of Dune in the 21st century? Or is it one of those stories/novels like The Divine Invasion that wouldn't really adapt well to film?
>>
>>83332605
>>>/lit/
>>
>>83332605
Won't adapt

It's all internal monologue and looking back on events that already happened
>>
Denis Villeneuve is making it as we speak.
>>
Dune sucks. Villenueve sucks. Fantasy masquerading as Sci Fi sucks.
>>
>>83332662
Make me fuckbitch

>>83332714
Same as most PKD novels, I guess
>>
>>83332752
Sicario was good.
>>
>>83332605

honestly what's the point? the only reason to read the first 3 books are to understand what's going on in God Emperor, which is the real point of everything. The final books are pointless fan service.

In the case of the first three books on their own... It's hard to be really inspired by someone who is

1. born into a wealthy family whose wealth exponentially exceeds even other wealthy families in the universe
2. is trained from birth to be both the best leader and best fighter in the universe
3. has access to a geriatric, mind-expanding drug and eventually gets an unlimited supply to the point where it combines with his genetics to render him a god

the words "mary sue" get thrown around here a lot, and i love Dune, but come on....

now a Dune game a la Crusader Kings? that would be pretty fucking cool but that's a /v/ post...
>>
>>83332820
Okay, I'll give him that. But most of it was came from the script written by the guy who did Hell or Highwater too.
>>
>>83332752
Shut the fuck up you utter fucking pleb this is fucking bait and youshould feel bad for writing it
>>
>>83332995
IMDB pleb detected

lol and I bet you're excited for the new Blade Runner and actually think Gosling can act.

This place really has gone to shit.
>>
>>83332917
>the words "mary sue" get thrown around here a lot, and i love Dune, but come on....
Isnt that what the normies want nowadays? As in, don't they already ignore how OP/mary-sueish most protags are in movies nowadays?
>>
OP here, I should point out I genuinely didn't know that Villenueve was working on a Dune thing already

mostly because I don't "follow" meme directors
>>
I think it would work better as tv series.
>>
File: 1362361566402.jpg (77KB, 799x773px) Image search: [Google]
1362361566402.jpg
77KB, 799x773px
Prob not the main series like Dune up to Chapter House, but the Great Houses prequel series might make a decent HBO series. Its a decent enough story that is simple enough to bring in the average retard into the Dune universe which in the main books isnt that big or intriguing. That said House Corrino would need some of the fat trimmed out of it in the script because its the worst and most bloated book of the 3. Now after the House series if there is enough of a fanbase I think some god tier screenwriter could make Dune and its sequels work with some sick directing, bur without an A team of script writers and directors it would either be too fast and dumbed down or way too fucking slow and boring as fuck with all the inner monolouges exposing 2 deep for me political and moral philosophy.
>>
>>83333230
Yet to read those but the machine crusade and butlerian jihad books are awesome. Would make pretty good series as well.
>>
The bumps must flow
>>
>>83332917
>born into a wealthy family
yes
>whose wealth exponentially exceeds even other wealthy families in the universe
no, you're remembering the book wrong
>the words "mary sue" get thrown around here a lot, and i love Dune, but come on....
What? No. Paul isn't a Mary Sue. He has to fight against other drug-enhanced superhumans who are the result of breeding programs and have been training from birth to participate in intricate power struggles. It's not like Paul just has to fight random peasants. His genetic advantages are not absolutely crushing (remember, the K-H could easily have turned out to be one of his close relatives), and they are offset by the fact that he's up against the Emperor as well as the Harkonnens.
>>
>>83333485
>What? No. Paul isn't a Mary Sue.
He's literally reading some OP witch's mind and embarrassing highly respected figures on Arrakis by the first 1/5th of the book just with his special mind-brain Bene Gesserit powers
>>
>>83333340
I dont known man the Machine Crusade series always felt like it had the poorest plot and writing of all the sons works. I dont know if it was the sons fault or the fathers reference material but that series had some massive asspull and alot of cringe worthy plot lines that never lived up to the sheer epicness of the actual organizations in Dune. Prime example being Norma Senva and the navigators. Her plot was so massively dissapointing after her arrival on the slave planet that I almost stopped their.
>>
>>83333550
main reason Paul can't be a mary sue is pretty obvious
He fucks up, completely and utterly

One of the most central themes of the book is portraying just how dangerous a hero figure can be
>>
>>83333750
This too. He is a pathetic figure, for all his power unable to actually control the empire that he has conquered, unable to control his own soldiers even.
>>
>>83333750
>>83333808
So then is it the convoluted space-politics-in-space plot mixed with space-magic-drugs-in-space plus the heavy reliance on internal dialogues that make Dune more difficult to adapt into visual form?
>>
>>83333750
He is also a failed character by default, since he's not the true KH.
>>
idris elba as baron harkonnen
>>
>>83333637
Gordon Freeman as God Emperor ?
>>
>>83334042
*Cedric the Entertainer
>>
>>83334042
He strikes me more as a Duncan to be honest.
>>
>>83333882
I don't think it's very hard to adapt Dune into the visual form. It would be easy for any decent director with a large enough budget to make it into a successful blockbuster. I think it's hard to adapt it in a way that truly respects the source material. The source material is dense and heavy on ideas about society and politics. To adapt it properly would require making A LONG movie - there is simply no way to pack Dune into 2 hours, it's impossible - and avoiding the urge to modify parts. I remember when I watched the miniseries, I thought it was pretty good until the first changes to the book started popping up, at which point I became disgusted - not because I'm inherently opposed to changing the plot, but because none of the changes improved things. It's unlikely that any film director would really make any changes that would improve on this source material.
>>
>>83334288
Did you like the original of the Lynch movie or the extended cut? I like the latter more because of the extra exposure of the characters and how the world works. Basically what you said, it needs more runtime.
>>
imagine a dune with
salvadore dali as emperor
orson welles as vladimier harkonnen
mick jagger as feyd rautha
david carradine as leto I

harkonnen artwork by giger
rest of the artwork by foss and o'bannon

a 12 hour movie, storybook done by moebius

directed by a lsd-driven lunatic who never read the book
>>
>>83333101
t. Korine fag
>>
>>83334830
oh forgot : soundtrack by pink floyd

and the movie, though never made, influenced scifi til today.....
>>
>>83334864
Korine is insincere. I loathe that hipster bumpkin.
>>
File: 1404042668473.jpg (928KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1404042668473.jpg
928KB, 2048x1536px
>>83332917
>Dumb Leto-II-poster
There he is. There he goes again. He has finally found a character in fantasy who is as much of an autistic cuck as himself, and created a fanon in his head to worship him.
>>
>>83334907
I was going to say Richard David James
>>
>>83333637
>>83333340
>>83333230
WTF people actually read Herbert Jr.'s books? I thought the consensus was they didn't exist?
>>
File: 2188_Dorne_1.png (173KB, 860x682px) Image search: [Google]
2188_Dorne_1.png
173KB, 860x682px
>>83334240
Duncan is White! Just like Dornishmen! REEEEE
>>
>>83334408
I like the extended cut more. As for Lynch's movie, there are certainly aspects of it that I like. It's properly weird. The music is great. I like the psychedelic mysticism ("The sleeper has awakened!") Other things, like the voice guns, are atrocious... but it's a decent effort. But it's only like 1/3rd of what Dune really is. It misses the social critique that demonstrates the use of religion as a control mechanism and the fundamental flaw of charismatic messiah figures, and just turns Paul into another Hero With a Thousand Faces-type protagonist.
>>
>>83334830
>>83334907

Nah, mate. When I want Dune I read Dune. When I want some rape with love I go read yaoi.
>>
>>83335316
i love the books, but i also love the idea that it was the best movie never made. imagine a timeline which diverged and where el topo never had assembled his crew...
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.