[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he still a good director, despite recent flops? Was he ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: ridley scott.png (1MB, 978x793px) Image search: [Google]
ridley scott.png
1MB, 978x793px
Is he still a good director, despite recent flops?
Was he ever a good director, or was it the source material carrying him?
Whats your favorite film of his?
>>
Good director, yes. Good writer and storyteller, no. Give him a great script and he's spectacular, give him dreck and he doesn't even attempt to polish a turd, just create good visuals to compensate.
>>
He's a good director. Even his worst are well directed films but with weak scripts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbw8EIVlzM0
>>
>>83317942
alien 10/10

blade runner 6/10 (all style, no admirable story)

black rain 7/10 (decent 90s action flick, nothing remarkable though)

thelma and louise 3/10 (single 90s mom garbage)
1492 7/10 ok
White Squall 7/10 cheesy but watchable
GI Jane 5/10 garbage
Gladiator 6/10 overrated long winded, melodramatic
hannibal 2/10 garbage
black hawk down 5/10 stupid huzzah trash, corny, contrived
matchstick men 7/10 watchable
kingdom of heaven 5/10 boring
american ganster 5/10 boring, old tired type of movie making
robin hood 6/10 maybe this is worth watching again, i think i fell asleep when I watched it
prometheus 3/10 trash
the martian 3/10 trash
covenant 2/10 trash

He had 1 movie (Alien) that is significant

Mostly mediocre stuff after, then shittier and shittier
>>
File: 5111b6bb8acf95206ce7839ada8f7f75.jpg (123KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
5111b6bb8acf95206ce7839ada8f7f75.jpg
123KB, 752x1063px
good tier
alien
blade runner

meh tier
the duellists
gladiator
kingdom heaven dc
black rain

shit tier
anything else
>>
>>83317942
He's a good director, but he needs to realize the difference between a good script and a bad script, and he needs to realize that if he's given a bad script, it's his responsibility to make sure that it gets fixed.
>>
>>83318068
shitty review tb h
>>
File: Denis Villeneuve.jpg (54KB, 567x800px) Image search: [Google]
Denis Villeneuve.jpg
54KB, 567x800px
Leave Blade Runner to me. And hopefully Alien too.
>>
>>83317942
>or was it the source material carrying him?

lol

all his most revered films have garbage scripts
>>
>>83318068
>boring, old tired type of movie making

hey /v/
>>
>>83317942
the george lucas of directors
>>
>>83318068
i would like to know what kind of movies you like. just to have an overall impression of your taste. there's no duelist on the list, but since you given such low scores to prometheus and covenant, i guess you're one of "those" guys... really, robin hood is actually better than prometheus? cmon give it a break for fuck sake
>>
He's always been hit or miss and has always pumped out mediocre films. Some of those I've never seen and didn't know he did (GI Joe?).

Legend, American Gangster and Hannibal were kind of crap though.
>>
>>83317942
>Sir Ridley Scott

Didn't realise he had been knighted. I bet the Queen loves a bit of Alien.
>>
>>83317942
The Martian was Decent
>>
He's an amazing director. It's just that the scripts he's working with are shit.
>>
>>83317942
He's one of the best working directors right now. He shits on pretty much everyone else, the fact that there are threads like this doubting him suggests that something is horribly wrong with people.
>>
>>83317942
technically he is top notch, but recently - in the past 17+ years he got really full of himself, thinking he is hot shit, while making only shit. he also started believing he is Kubrick 2.0 coming with those "grand ideas" like every Redditor has them.
>>
>>83317988
fpbp
>>
>>83319687
>>83319688
ok ridley
>>
>>83319704
>he is top notch, but for more than half of his career he is shit

??
>>
https://youtu.be/VtvjbmoDx-I

Is this his best kino movie flick?
>>
gladiator proved he was a garbage director
>>
>>83317942
He never was a good director. He only lucked out early on when he was surrounded by talented people who gave him great scripts, art design, performances etc.

Scott himself was alway a hack.
>>
>>83319533
well, they're both parasites..i guess there's some feeling
>>
>>83319735
like I said, technically from a craftsmanship point of view he is excellent and like other anons already pointed out he is only as good as the script lets him be.
he has a rather bad judgement when it comes to picking projects/scripts and it has gotten worse in the past couple of years.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.