[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You...you need STRUCTURE.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: AmerBeauty_085Pyxurz.jpg (130KB, 1600x882px) Image search: [Google]
AmerBeauty_085Pyxurz.jpg
130KB, 1600x882px
You...you need STRUCTURE.
>>
>>83316305

Looking back on the bag blowing in the wind scene must be hard for the director because of how cheesy it is
>>
File: 1494653218654.jpg (24KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1494653218654.jpg
24KB, 409x409px
just TRY and take away my tendies, Dad. I fucking dare you
>>
>>83316305
>le every homophobe is a secret faggot

Army dad was just a bit bi-curious
>>
>>83316383
It is unbelievably cheesy. Its only bearable cause of pretty decent delivery and acting, also the rest of the movie is strong enough to give it a pass.
>>
>>83316383
It's fucking poignant as fuck and relatble to anybody who's had a long bout of clinical depression. It helps that it's well acted too. Pleb.
>>
God, this movie was pure shit
>>
>>83316383
I liked it. Imagine being so desperate to be superior to everyone else that you're cynical about literally everything.
>>
>>83316466
I agree. For me, at least, it's not so much what's going on there as it is the reaction of that kid. It's what he reads into that total insignificance that's interesting, which I guess you could say is one of the major points of the movie (that sounded really banal just now, sort of like I'm reducing the film to just 'life is what you make it to be bro').
>>
>>83316383
I think it's supposed to be a bit juvenile. It's high school video art ffs.
>>
>>83316472

prime Mena Suvari though
>>
>>83316514
B I N G O
>>
This is what happens when you convince Americans they have a culture, they produce profound, breathtaking works of art like this.
>>
>>83316479
>Imagine being so desperate to be superior to everyone else that you're cynical about literally everything.
That sounds like.. oh.
>>
File: lol.jpg (43KB, 638x340px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
43KB, 638x340px
>>83316479
>Imagine being so desperate to be superior
Imagine being so desperate to appear profound you pretend to like a scene about a plastic bag moving in the wind.

Pic related, these are the comments on the youtube video of the scene. This is you.
>>
>>83316383
>only my emotional resonance matters

ITT: everything's cheesy post
>>
>>83316644
>This is you.

Just as it is you to give an opinion that people should only see life, emotions, or entertainment as you see fit. Only a cynical dismissive attitude is acceptable by your standards.
>>
>>83316305
if it was made today cancer will complain about portraying homosexuality in a bad way
>>
>>83317538

more like angry about the suggestion that all armyfags are secretly fags. Which they are
>>
>>83317579

t. navy
>>
>>83316305
>You...you need STRUCTURE.
Burning man is the biggest structure in the midwest!
>>
>>83317579
>all armyfags are

Classic generalization method of absolute binary summary. A group is either all gay in denial, or not.
Absolute absolutes affirming generalizations that do not exist so as to suit the person's view of life.
Should the your absolutism be met with error you'll then be forced to revise, or ignore your view as it no longer holds true.
What's it like to believe you know everything about everything, but offer mostly flawed views that never hold up?
>>
>>83318854

Classic misunderstanding a joke
>>
>>83318918
I understood the joke, if that is what you believe it was. Although usually a joke is funny, which is why I might have had trouble identifying that as a joke.
>>
>>83316383
Or how unhot the hot chick is. No man would ruin their life over blonde bimbo #433.
>>
Where army dude kissed other dude had nothing whatsoever to do with being homo.
>>
>>83316383
family guy summed up this scene pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX1-G69WLzo
>>
>>83317579
I thought most armyfags were poorfags who couldn't get a job?
>>
>>83318968

Sorry you have a lowbrow sense of humor friend, but the army is gay and so is everyone in it.
>>
File: tumblr_m1ixehWqSK1r4jjpw[1].png (333KB, 357x346px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1ixehWqSK1r4jjpw[1].png
333KB, 357x346px
>>83316644

I agree with
>>83316479
But it's not about the shitty bag, it would still hold true for any other mundane or insignificant scene.

I can't speak for those YouTubers, and you can call it romanticism if you wish. but I can comfortably say I have nothing to gain by wanting to appear profound on /tv/
>>
>>83319108
Yeah but he was in the Marines so he must have a fair bit of money

Also this movie doesn't say everyone who dislikes fags is secretly gay. It's one thing disliking gays, it's another thing being as preoccupied with gays as the dad is in this movie
>>
I feel like this movie was overrated at the time but since everybody shits on it now it's underrated
>>
>>83319195

Okay, then stop saying "if you wish" and "I can comfortably say."
>>
>>83319026
What? No. He was a closeted homosexual, and he did mistaken Kevin Spacey's character as also being a closeted homosexual just after Kevin Spacey's character reveals that his happy marriage is all an illusion.
Chris Cooper's character Colonel Fitts lived most of his life shamed by what he was, hiding it while his wife remained mentally ill, feeling awkward.
As a couple they had spent years together married under a lie going by what they thought the rules of life should be.

Colonel Fitts was ashamed of who he really was, and his son being that only deepened his regret. He mistook Kevin Spacey's character Lester's omission as an honest realization, as if a shared moment of honesty. Lester was just being honest, and Colonel Fitts too it as trying to make a connection on a deeper level.

Once Lester figures out is all wrong he apologizes, and Colonel Fitts realizes he is a lone, and revealed something he's spent his life hiding in shame. He had to kill Lester, to keep his shame secret.
>>
>>83319146
>but the army is gay and so is everyone in it.

I don't believe so. It is true that lots of males who feel they have to overcompensate in proving their masculinity could be hiding insecurities of homosexuality, but not all. Most do it to find a greater purpose for themselves, to give their life meaning. To die in glory of battle for something greater than themselves.

What I'm saying is - not all. Possibly many, but not all.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (19KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
19KB, 443x332px
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K_kGtQmvrVI
>>
>>83319031
Family guy kino. That clip was perfect up until it cut to god explaining the joke.
>>
>>83319397

No all

>what about you sergeant, why did you join the Army
>well first I'm patriotic, second I love my country, and third they nailed me
>bend all the way down, here comes the bull to give you his wood
>>
>>83319478
My dad fought in a war as a marine. He was not gay, and neither am I, so I disagree.
>>
File: 3948723797.png (565KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
3948723797.png
565KB, 600x610px
>>83319578

>this denial
>>
>>83319624
No, I am being honest. I cannot make you accept that. Remain ignorant to honesty. Your ignorance makes me no difference.
>>
I was very angry they killed Spacey's character. I rooted for him so hard. They could kill the teenage couple for the dramatic effect. Not Lester. Fucking hacks
>>
>>83319741

Mate, you're asleep
>>
File: hehehh.jpg (68KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
hehehh.jpg
68KB, 480x270px
>>83319578
He doesn't know about the Cheever letters.
>>
>>83319840
No, I am not, so why would you assume an omission honesty under the disguise of being anonymous as a lie?

I have no reason to lie, and yet you not accepting it only further proves your stubborn ability to NOT accept a different view.
You are revealing more of your stubbornness than of anything else.
>>
>>83320073

You are Lester

Wake up
>>
>>83320103
Lester? Lester was a heterosexual, feeling his purpose diminishing as both a father, and husband. I am neither father, nor husband, but I am heterosexual.
>>
>>83319397
Amen brother. Spoken like a true patriot.
>>
>>83319842
People who derive absolute summations of life have a hard time accepting what doesn't fit the way they choose to see life working as they see it.

Jokes, generalizations are at times funny, but the the complicated truth of differences is harder to accept.

We feel comfort in thinking we know it all with jokes, and punchlines, but life still is not that simple.

To think any of us is capable of know everything there is to know is a mistake we all make.
>>
>>83319741
>literally says he's gonna die in the first line of the movie
>I rooted for him so hard
>>
>>83320161

You are sleeping through life, unable to see the full beauty of everything. Perhaps you should see some bared breasts irl or maybe some mushrooms in order to wake up.
>>
>>83320822
I have seen quite a few bare breasts (titties) in my life. Even squeezed quite a few as well.
Why would suggest that I induce partial short term brain damage to reduce my perception in order to view life differently?
Why are you assuming that I do not appreciate life as it is, or that I am somehow asleep to it?

I am fully aware, and appreciative of all that I have.

Your suggestion of mushrooms might be bad advice since I am comfortable as I am.
Did you require such substances to offer you a different perspective you would have otherwise not had by any other means?

How can you assume that what works for you would work for everyone else?
Also, what makes you think I am asleep? Perhaps your observation is misguided, based on assumptions that are not accurate.

If I am not delivering a message in a way that suits you, that has more to do with you not being receptive, than is of me.
>>
>>83321191

Mushrooms don't cause anymore brain damage than a few glasses of wine.

Also, I know you are asleep because everyone is asleep until they've woken up in a way similar to Lester.
>>
>>83321314
>dude, you don't get society like I do... I've done drugs, man...

small wonder that this movie resonates with the philosopher-stoner crowd. try to read a book for a change
>>
>>83321314
>Mushrooms don't cause anymore brain damage than a few glasses of wine.

The degree of distorted brain functioning is not important, but that you needed it at all is what I questioned while questioning the effectiveness on all other people other than yourself. You do not know what works well for everyone, but assume based on your experience that what works for you, will work for everyone. That is your error of assumptions based on yourself, you believe will work for everyone else.

I saw American Beauty long ago many times, and related to some aspects of Lester's character, but have changed since.

What most of the characters realise in American Beauty is that the rules of life that we believe we know do not always work. We all have our own belief systems of how the order of life works, and we try to live by those rule as we see fit.

Life is not a simple as rules of a two hour movie. Life is much longer, and we change as time goes on, and learn to let go of old ideas that no longer comfort us. Accepting the changes is harder, but it is what we must do to survive in accepting what is.
>>
>>83321314
Lester accepts his humility, and decides that since he is a failure to both his wife, and daughter that he can no longer confide in them, so he might aswell live for himself.

His wife Carolyn (Annette Bening) begins in the movie crying after realising she's a failure selling real estate, but because of her ego with Lester instead of being honest she conceals herself, and seeks the comfort of another real estate salesman who is pretending just as much as she is. When they're both discovered for having affairs reality sets in that neither can pretend anylonger.

Carolyn could have been honest with Lester, and accepted humility, but she couldn't until it was too late, and the only person that truly cared - Lester was gone.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.