[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breaking bad question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3591.jpg (39KB, 590x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3591.jpg
39KB, 590x375px
I was rewatching breaking bad the other day and I noticed that it wasn't fully explained why Walter White decided to leave the company he founded and Gretchen (the woman he loved) for a mediocre job and family life. I read an interview with Vince Gilligan where he said that Walt couldn't bear how he felt inferior around Gretchen's family and their immense wealth, but desu this seems like a weak explanation. People with inferiority complexes often marry into a wealthy family because this assuages their sense of inadequacy, and Walt was clearly respected by his peers for his scientific ability.

Maybe I'm missing an obvious answer, but I'm just not satisfied with the 'inferiority complex' explanation. Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
I thought he got bought out for a shitty amount of money and regretted it after the company made bank after he left.
>>
>>83316023
this, his bitch of a wife convinced him to sell his shares and go for a stable job when she got pregnant and company made it big only after that
>>
Seemed like it was related to some drama between him and Gretchen and he just decided to cash out and leave rather than deal with it.
>>
I started this agin with my girlfriend. I thought I had remembered S1 being the best. It's OK, nothing really blowing me away a second time around. She found it a bit slow. Would you say S1 is slower than the rest of the show?

I honeslty can't remember, but I know I went through patches where I didn't bother watching for a while when it originally aired.
>>
>>83316128
S1 is slowest and most boring season. S5 while not slow was somewhat less interesting for me, I feel like the show could have ended after S4
>>
>>83316068
Right, but this doesn't explain why he left Gretchen and prioritized the opinion of his wife over his own career and company.
>>
>>83316128

S1 is before he starts dealing meth himself, so there isn't much plot advancement, it's mostly just him dealing with the fallout from the first episode.
>>
>>83316223
Because at the time the company was only ok, not a money machine. Selling his shares was not such a bad move at the time.
>>
>>83316128
I just feel that Walt's character is difficult to comprehend without understanding why he gave up 'the good life' for mediocrity.
>>
>>83316303
He's poison, he destroys everything he touches
>>
>>83316275
http://screencrush.com/breaking-bad-walt-gray-matter-explanation/

I should have linked this in my original post, but this is what I'm referring to. i.e. why he left Gretchen and turned his back on the the company he had created.
>>
>>83316336
But he also takes pleasure in being the best at what he does, which is ultimately why he enjoys cooking meth.
>>
One aspect of the show that never rang true for me was the notion that this supposedly brilliant chemist with an esteemed background would wind up teaching at a high school for barely enough money to stay afloat. In reality, he should have been a professor at the very least, and making a decent living in the process.
>>
>>83316446
Agreed. It might have been better to make Walt a good, but ultimately frustrated chemist who was forced out of an ultimately successful company, and who had the woman of his dreams stolen by a superior chemist (Elliott Schwartz).
>>
So is this just a plot hole?
>>
>>83316653
People act fucking inconsistent and irrational. It's still inside the ballpark.
>>
>>83315956
I grew up really poor and find it difficult to date women that come from significantly wealthier backgrounds than me. There's just such a huge gulf in the types of life experiences you had it can be really uncomfortable.
>>
>>83316791
Still a great show
>>
>>83316859
I'm happy to accept that, but it doesn't explain his bitterness, nor why he chose to leave the company he founded.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.