[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>cockney Dark Souls with hipster haircuts: The movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 21

>cockney Dark Souls with hipster haircuts: The movie
>>
I like Guy Ritchie but he was the absolute wrong choice to direct a medieval fantasy epic.
>>
>>83314566
Exactly. That's why it's so fucking fantastic.
>>
>>83314566
>hipster haircut
it stopped being hipster at least 3 or 4 years ago
now every fucker and his mother has it
>>
>>83314566
>Cockney Dark Souls
I actually want to see it now
>>
>>83317543
If you enjoy old-school give-no-fucks action movies, you'll love this one. If you like Guy Ritchie, you'll love it even more.
>>
File: cap.png (2KB, 274x51px) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
2KB, 274x51px
>we want the "omg I love fantasy" GoT audience
>>
>>83317836
Is it comparable to his first Sherlock Holmes movie? Because I actually enjoyed that one.
>>
>>83317900
Its got similar cinematography and it kind of tries for a similar tone but it really doesn't work well for the setting.
>>
>>83317900
Yeah, I'd say so, but with magic and LotR-tier giant fuck-off beasts. This is not Excalibur 2. It's not trying to be and nothing ever really should.
>>
It was worth watching for Hunnam alone desu senpai
>>
File: 1481585183460.jpg (113KB, 685x600px) Image search: [Google]
1481585183460.jpg
113KB, 685x600px
>If I pull that sword out, will I become king?
>>
>GoT-ifying King Arthur

NO!
>>
>>83317900
it's way more chav
>>
>>83318146
>>GoT-ifying King Arthur

Do even you know what you're trying to say?
>>
>>83318199
I'm lamenting the application of Game of Thrones' "gritty" aesthetics and themes to the legend of King Arthur purely because it too is historical fantasy.
>>
>>83314566
This movie is yet another proof that tv shows actors should stick to TV. Even in the era where TV is arguably more popular than movies, they still pull shit numbers.
>>
>>83318247
this film has 0 in common with GoT, unless you count the actors
>>
>>83314566
>hipster haircuts
Undercuts have been around since forever
>>
>>83318247
King Arthur is literally historical fantasy
>>
File: 1200[1].jpg (251KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1200[1].jpg
251KB, 1200x675px
>>
>>83318273
Same cast
>Sweary and sexy for no reason other than >OWWWW THE EDGE
>Modern dialogue and quippiness despite being it being over a thousand years ago.
>Absolutely no chance to immerse yourself into the story as a result of the above
Yeah, it's total shit, like GoT.

>>83318343
What are you trying to say, anon? I'm aware of that. I was making the point that all modern historical/fantasy shows/films are squeezed into the GoT mould purely because they are of the same genre. See: Vikings, The Last Kingdom, this film
>>
>>83318432
Your post implied that it was made a historical fantasy because of GOT. I agree with you about all the other shit, though giving characters modern style and dialogue sucks, just the fact that they recycled King Arthur instead of coming up with something original should tell you its gonna be shit
>>
>>83318432
>sweary and sexy
only sweary in the "london street" sense, and has zero sex in it
>EDGE
it's not edgy at all, at least not in the grimdark sense
>modern dialogue
so you want people in this kind of movie to speak Latin? fair enough, but you'd still need modern subs
>quippiness
so nothing like GoT
>no chance to immerse
for completely different reasons though
this has modern chavs running around playing with swords, GoT has completely retarded writing while trying to be serious and mature
>>
>>83314566
yup, its pretty great desu
>>
File: CIA - Goosefat Bill.jpg (788KB, 3000x1800px) Image search: [Google]
CIA - Goosefat Bill.jpg
788KB, 3000x1800px
>>83318136
Goosefat Bill Wilson for best boy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGnfFW-vyzU
>>
>>83318865
This is such a comfy song. The entire soundtrack is great.
>>
That was movie after which i stopped to believe the critics
>>
>>83318910
fuck yeah it is, Im also a bit disappointed we didnt get to see more of Bana's Uther fucking shit up and killing more evil mages
>>
>>83318910
It sure is. "Run Londinium" is my personal favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVtqVxZgYI&index=14&list=PLBKadB95sF46sIN2fmEWPPzlCeRXx-Lio
>>
>>83318940
For me it was mos and then confirmed by bvs
>>
>>83319063
fuuck, that lady in the lake scene was pure fucking kino lads
>>
>>83318984
>>83319063
run londinium my go to cardio song atm. I love this short but sweet ost, the violin inflection just kills it

https://youtu.be/U5hE3GLSnTo

Another goat
https://youtu.be/56cnOkQFRwo
>>
>>83319069
I got blasted out by someone in another KA thread for comparing this one to Excalibur, but that guy totally missed my point - my point was that the overwhelming majority of modern "critics" lack the imagination to appreciate things they can't neatly pigeonhole into a preconceived notion of a genre.

I fully believe that if Excalibur had been released in the present climate, unduly smug talentless bloggers would shit all over it because they lack the imagination to even appreciate it.

>>83319127
I legit got chills from it. I liked that image from the making of the sword the best. It's just so beautiful.
>>
>>83319127
The octopus ladies? Yeah i had some wierd sexually charged thoughts desu (not about the fat one)
>>
>>83319063
>no "londinium calling" track
missed opportunity to be desu
>>
File: reallyfrom.jpg (551KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
reallyfrom.jpg
551KB, 1920x1080px
How THE FUCK is it like dark souls?
>>
>>83319175
i totally agree, but critics have always been hacks.
>>
>>83314631
I found it weird that he's doing it too, but let's be real, on Revolver he lost his mind. Rock'n'Rolla was a film "inspired by Guy Ritchie. By Guy Ritchie" but he's never been the same.
>>
>>83319173
This dude's really impressed me with this OST. It's gooseflesh-inducing.

How did you guys like the way that as evil as Vortigern was, he couldn't help but admire Arthur's drive? It was like he had to begrudgingly admit that Arthur was always going to be the sort of man to rise above his circumstances, regardless of what those circumstances were.

To me, that's fucking inspiring.
>>
It was enjoyable, but you can't realistically expect this kind of movie to be successful. The idea of combining Ritchie's style with Arthurian legend is just too polarizing.
>>
>his father held onto the sword the entire time until arthur was ready
damn son
>>
>>83319175
Check out this "critic"

https://youtu.be/ifLlX3kA8vQ

>goes in high as a kite
>can't follow story
>gets sick due to weed
>blames it on the movie
>gives it a bad review
>>
>>83317543
The Souls series has characters with working class London accents. Most of the voice actors from the series are British and put on their regional accents.
>>
File: 1415806646829.png (127KB, 694x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1415806646829.png
127KB, 694x1144px
>>83319406
>dont look away
>>
>>83319419
Feeding my disgust isn't worth upping their view count.
>>
File: Virtu.png (1MB, 657x1059px) Image search: [Google]
Virtu.png
1MB, 657x1059px
>>83319474
>You make sense of the Devil.
>>
>>83319419
>wonder who watchis this bitch
>500k+ subs
I guess there are a lot of masochists in this world
>>
Just saw this movie yesterday and I really enjoyed it so long as you didn't go in there expecting an exact retelling of the Arthurian legend.

They should have put a disclaimer as "LOOSELY INSPIRED" or some shit.
>>
The easily, easily fixable historical inaccuracies triggered my autism. I don't know why they couldn't have just set it in 'Camelot' and had it be strictly fantasy, with no real world repercussions. Or even just used different words for the same thing and had the exact same story.
>>
>>83319560
if you see GUY RITCHIE next to it and expect it to be a real retelling of the legend you're pretty stupid
>>
>>83319577
>historical
>king arthur
>>
>>83319581
>GUY RITCHIE
the only other movie I've seen by him was the first Sherlock holmes.
>>
>>83319577
yes, i too wanted the same regurgitated shit that I've seen before. god forbid we get something new
>>
>>83319596
Exactly. Thank you.
>>
>>83319603
and did you go into that expecting a straight adaptation of the books?
>>
>>83319640
Not at all, I went with friends who had already seen it and advised me not to expect a direct retelling and I really enjoyed the film.
>>
File: 1424816576103.jpg (72KB, 632x477px) Image search: [Google]
1424816576103.jpg
72KB, 632x477px
>>83319617
>>
>>83319577
I think they did that, though. I may be crazy, but I didn't get the impression that this movie was intended to be thought of as having happened in our own world's past. It was the title cards that clued me in, with them having "mages" be a subset of humanity that Vortigern was responsible for purging down an appreciable amount.

There are other worlds where things like this have happened. The Potterverse for one. I got a feeling that there's about to be another one:

The DC Universe.

Whether Ritchie and WB intended it or not, they just gave us a King Arthur story that could legit take place in the world that Snyder and WB have set up, and this was the first time Arthur+Excalibur carried the weight on the battlefield that a proto-superhero would have.

All I'm hoping for now is that this gets picked up on and incorporated. We could see Merlin and Jason Blood here. We could get a Guy Ritchie Constantine movie.
>>
What are some movies similar to this one?
Is Conan at all like it?
>>
>>83319745
Old-school Arnie Conan? Yes. Others that I think of that are in the same vein are things like Dragonslayer and Ladyhawke.
>>
>>83319745
RocknRolla, Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Conan is not AT ALL like this.
>>
>>83319734
No I get that, it was things like Arthur, who lived in "Londinium", declaring himself king of "England" and telling off the "Vikings".

It would be like Geronimo, who lived in New Amsterdam and was president of the United States, told off the Communists
>>
>>83319816
Haha knew this would happen the second I posted it.
I did actually mean edgy medieval fantasy shit and not the guy richie part, which while I did like it wasnt the reason I think Arthur is as fantastic as I think it is.
>>
Why did they chose to go with a random druid girl with a french accent instead of actual Merlin?
>>
>>83319881
would Merlin be as qt though?
>>
>>83319816
That depends on the level of drill-down. No, Conan doesn't have Ritchie dialogue, but it's quite clearly not intended to be remotely historically accurate, nor is "The Beastmaster" or any of the things I listed in >>83319795.

All of them have their own anachronisms and expect you to just sort of roll with the fact that you're stepping into a fantasy realm. We don't get many stories like that these days that aren't identifiably cape movies, LotR or the Narnia films. This movie has a lot more in common with films like Conan and The Beastmaster than it doesn't.
>>
>>83319881
Probably the same reason they had that space at the round table for Lancelot. Set it up for sequels that will never happen.

Also there would probably be a hissyfit and it would hurt the movies marketing if there wasnt at least one stronk independynt womyn in it.
>>
>>83319916
Probably not. They could have just given one of the females like Maggy a bigger role though.

Maybe they wanted to save up Merlin for one of the six other movies. Heh.
>>
>>83319881
I dont know, you tell me you homo
>>
>>83319950
I guess you're right. I kinda took it for granted when watching any kind of fantasy movie, but your post made me realize there weren't really that many actual fantasy movies.
>>
File: Geronimo.jpg (94KB, 455x341px) Image search: [Google]
Geronimo.jpg
94KB, 455x341px
>>83319851
Yeah, but let's be real here. King Arthur is legend. Period. There may or may not have been a man around whom those legends grew, but he is every bit the legendary hero that Beowulf is.

We have pictures of Geronimo.
>>
>>83320052
Exactly. We get tons of movies with sci-fi/fantasy elements, but most of them are understood to be taking place in the "real" world. Then there are the odd ducks that are basically saying "this happened somewhere that is definitely not here, never was, never will be. Deal with it."

Another one like this that comes to mind is Krull - a classic of the cheesy fantasy genre.
>>
File: IMG_0294.jpg (92KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0294.jpg
92KB, 720x479px
>>83318865
>mfw it starts with the song from the live action halo odst trailer

If master chief was standing next to the black guy at tbe start, he wouldn't have felt out of place. Not that it's a bad thing, I thought the movie was great.
>>
File: king-arthur-lots-picture08[1].jpg (571KB, 2000x1298px) Image search: [Google]
king-arthur-lots-picture08[1].jpg
571KB, 2000x1298px
I really liked the idea of Uther impaling himself with Excalibur and then turning into stone to keep Vortigem from getting it.

Fresh new stuff like that is what keeps a saga alive, I don't know why aspies sperg out over it.
>>
>>83319954
From how it was described it seems like they were going to loosely adapt the Knight's solo quests in the new MCU fad model, with them all coming to together for a major battle movie, probably not the one where Arthur dies though.

They were probably going to give Merlin a solo movie. But it would have probably been better if he was in more of a Nick Fury type role.
>>
>>83320278
Bana was killing it.

KILLING IT.
I
L
L
I
N
G

I
T

He always does.
>>
>>83320072
You understand what I'm getting at though. I'm just saying that while I understand its fantasy, I don't know why they have to reference real world things so poorly. 'Londinium' and the Vikings were like 500 years apart. Arthur was calling himself the King of England when he wasn't English. I get its a myth and a legend and all that but the fact they tried to set it in the real world but were so anachronistic about it made it feel cheap. If they had done it better it would have made it feel much more mythical, or even setting it in Camelot would have been fine. But like I said my personal autism flared up and it just felt lazy.
>>
File: 223281[1].jpg (97KB, 959x720px) Image search: [Google]
223281[1].jpg
97KB, 959x720px
>>83320319
>>83318984
>movie flopped
>we will never see more of Bana fucking shit up with Excalibur

One of their "six projects" were bound to show more of him. It hurts.
>>
File: Gigaphants.png (505KB, 1260x536px) Image search: [Google]
Gigaphants.png
505KB, 1260x536px
>>83320327
I get where you're coming from. For me, I just sort of rolled with it all taking place in a world where these things aren't necessarily anachronisms, like a parallel Earth.

Something else I tend to do is assume that what we're hearing, while English, isn't necessarily an accurate "translation," if you get me. In other words, there could have been representatives of the Vikings' forerunners visiting "Londinium" that were getting referred to as Vikings for the audience's benefit.

Things like that trigger me too when it's something clearly intended to be historically accurate. In a movie where I'm getting squid-people and Gigaphant action, I'm willing to give it a pass.
>>
>>83320424
Keep hope alive, brother. This might be one of those rare occasions where he have cause to think China.
>>
>>83320538
I just mean the opening scene of the movie sort of set it up to be this forgotten age in a mysterious part of humanity's past, which I really liked, but then when they started making all these references to other actual historical things that were out of place, it shattered that illusion and really hurt the world building imo.
>>
>>83320623
They should have called the kingdom Logres, and the city be Astolat, or just have it and Camelot be the same place.
>>
File: notvlad.jpg (121KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
notvlad.jpg
121KB, 1200x900px
>>83319474
>you've already won, now play with me
>>
>>83319734
>Guy Ritchie Constantine
That would be fucking based. Hunnam could even star.
>>
>>83320895
Is Constantine supposed to be a brit?
>>
>>83320623
Did you notice how they presented the Darklands, which I took to essentially be a faerie realm, like it was a place that sort of bled over into their world? I took Camelot to be a place where that veil was abnormally thin, especially when Excalibur was in the hands of the rightful king.

Deeper explanation would probably ruin it for me. Magic is better when it's allowed to retain its mystery.
>>
>>83320933
yeah I think he is.
>>
File: Hellblazer_Vol_1_296_Textless.jpg (1015KB, 1500x2323px) Image search: [Google]
Hellblazer_Vol_1_296_Textless.jpg
1015KB, 1500x2323px
>>83320933
Not just a Brit, a Cockney.
>>
>>83320895
>arthur is constantine's ancestor, thus explaining hunnam playing both parts
pottery
>>
>>83321057
I would die. I would literally die and be in heaven before the Devil even knew I was dead.
>>
>>83319290
It has a final boss with a twin scythe and an emberred cape in what's practically a boss arena. Not to mention the giant rats, snakes, magic and all that shit.
>>
This shit usually doesnt bother me but am I supposed to believe that that wispy CIA faggot can bend that fucking bow?

2/10, unsubscribed
>>
File: Minecraft with Gadget.webm (80KB, 248x372px) Image search: [Google]
Minecraft with Gadget.webm
80KB, 248x372px
>people in here actually shilling, for free, a shit flop of a movie

There's no way to salvage this mess. You can shut up now.
>>
>>83322234
Never underestimate the benefits of powerstancing.
>>
File: average british woman.png (1MB, 827x941px) Image search: [Google]
average british woman.png
1MB, 827x941px
>>83322317
>people who talk positively of a critically acclaimed movie
>SHILLS! FUCKING SHILLS!
>few people who talk positively about a movie that flopped
>SHILLS!!!! SHILLS!!!

Stop trying to fit in, anon.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.