[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>advanced ancient alien race with hyper advanced technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 39

File: alien-covenant-prologue-1280.jpg (50KB, 895x503px) Image search: [Google]
alien-covenant-prologue-1280.jpg
50KB, 895x503px
>advanced ancient alien race with hyper advanced technology
>live in city made of stone
No wonder David bombed them, they were no better than savages, they probably stole that tech from some other advanced alien race
>>
>highly advanced alien race that seeded life for BILLIONS of years

>home planet has no protection whatsoever
>home planet only has one city on it
>home planet has only one spaceship there
>no security check or clearance for incoming spaceships
>no way to defend themselves whatsoever
>>
>>83312587
Fuck. This. Shit.
DAMMIT SCOTT. WHY COULDN'T THE MOVIE BEEN ABOUT THE INTERACTIONS BETWEEN THE ENGINEERS, DAVID, AND SHAW?
WHY ANOTHER SLASHER SCIFI FLICK WITH THE RECYCLED "WE FOUND AN ALIEN ______ AND ARE UNAWARE OF THE HORROR IT BRINGS?
WHY YOU SENILE FUCK?
>>
>>83312653
The ones that really got me were
>absolutely no sign of life on the planet on any light wavelength
>one city
>made of ancient stone because it will make it more spooky and aesthetic
>>
>>83312785
I think, garnering from what I have read from Scott's interviews, the engineers are reverent of nature and prefer to live in a symbiotic manner.
>>
>>83312653
Looks awesome to me
t. Marxist Feminist Leftist Retard
>>
>>83312818
If that's the case, then Scott needs to make it more clear in the movie, I'm not gonna go look for some interview. Maybe instead of just making the Engineers evil for no reason he could have given them a reason for doing the things they did
>>
>>83312587
Same for Ancients(Stargate) in Milky Way. Stone building everywhere, technology is hidden etc.
Thank Janus that they managed to make it right in Atlantis
>>
>>83312885
I don't know what the fuck keeps happening, but key backstory elements that are interesting keep getting cut out. The whole engineer backstory has been pretty much erased from Prometheus and Alien Covenant.
>>
>>83312818
>reverent of nature
>create another species and black goo
>>
>>83312885
On a related note, when i got home from the theatre and realized that i had missed one of the 'prologue' videos where shaw solders David's head back on, and then David bombs the Engi town I was so mad. That is very valuable information that I would guess confused most of the audience. There's a difference between having something happen offscreen (The Sopranos was very good at this) and just not explaining something.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8kK4hY6PA
>>83313094
goofy writers and senile old man are your problems friend. just wait for all the "Making Of" vids I guess
>>
>>83312587
Or that maybe they reasoned that stone lasts a stupidly long time so why bother reinventing the wheel?
>>
>>83313144
the black goo was intended to clean slate planets they viewed as failures after seeding.
A quick look at their homeworld (all 2 minutes worth prior to David being a psychopath) shows simple clothing, no consumerism, stone buildings, no pollution, and frugal use of technology.
>>
>>83313191

I didn't see a problem there.

In the movie you are first told (by David) that there was an accident.

Then we find out (via flashback) that he released the payload himself.

Then we find out (David confirms it) that he experimented on Shaw and he threatens Daniels with doing it again with her.

Everything you need to know is given to you there.
If anything the prologue video confuses things since he's super nice to Shaw there yet in the movie he acts deranged.

Bear in mind that he does also say in the movie that he made himself busy and that androids like him have to occupy themselves with something so he might've started tinkering with creating his own life after a couple of years or sitting around and then gradually lost his shit.
>>
>>83312587
If it's easy to build with advanced technologies then great. Obviously their civilization still has a soul as well as having a sense of divine purpose and religious attitude. It was also probably meant to make a subconscious connection to the attitudes and philosophical enlightenment that we associate with Roman culture. Perhaps even they influenced our own culture in some way.
>>
>>83312653
>no protection
>invisible to deep space scanners
>constant electrical storm clouds covering the planet
>was found by freak accident since livable worlds are scarce and sending random exploration missions just aren't feasible
>>
>>83312818
>I have read from Scott's interviews, the engineers are reverent of nature and prefer to live in a symbiotic manner.
Scott can say whatever he wants but that city and that level of no defense at all doesn't have any sense with a species so developed. Period.
>>
>>83313341

Big deal considering one dinky ship penetrated their "storm" and landed there with no issue.

Also apparently just any engineer ship with a foe on board can show up and nuke their entire civilization.
>>
So we can all agree that Walter is ok and will pursue the Covenant and also the only cast member returning in the next movie will be MMichael Fassbender?
>>
>>83313367
There's a certain theme of hubris in these films, ya know.
>>
>>83313286
Is that what Scott is trying to convey- that David- the pinnacle of human creation, kills off the perfect people?

Something I noticed about David
>loves Wagner
>believes himself to be an ubermensch
>views others as subhumans and expendable
>only values strength
>willingly genocidal

Wqs Scott trying to make him into a literally Hitler? It feels so hamfisted and corny now that I think about it.
>>
>>83312587
What if the actual city is underground and that thing is just a decoy?

I wish, fuck you Ridley.
>>
>>83313421
so david is /our guy/?
>>
Is Scott another Lucas?
>>
>>83313434
David was on that planet for over 10 years, they probably would have done something at some point, and even then, the black goo goes after literally everything
>>
>>83313420

>it's shit on purpose

Never a good argument to fall back on.
>>
>>83313421
I get the same vibes.
>>
>advanced alien race
>no skyscrapers
>everyone wears the same Jedi clothing
>no satellites or radar

Even pleb sci-fi kino has these basics bolted down.
>>
>>83313445
Naw, it's a poor characterization and projection on Scott's part. Real Hitler would have creamed his pants over the Engineer's city and it's architecture and would have claimed them as his Aryan ancestors.
>>
>>83313460
Seems pretty fucking obvious to me. Would you rather they not advance whatever story they have because you know how a made up alien species would behave? Maybe they thought they were untouchable. Why would a totally dominant race think fucking humans would come to their planet?

But really do they not have a way to monitor us closely?
>>
did he kill shaw or was her death none of his doing?
>>
File: 1462323906419.jpg (9KB, 239x250px) Image search: [Google]
1462323906419.jpg
9KB, 239x250px
>>83313237
>using stone as strongest building material
>use advanced technology to create life on new planets
>>
>>83313269
His motivation to experiment on shaw, the one human he seemed to love, and yet kill all the engineers, who probably have vast amounts of knowledge on the subject as well as being a lot of bodies for experiments, doesn't make any sense. Having Shaw, not an AI-electrical engineer helps this, but without the prologue I was painfully confused what he was thinking.
>>
>>83312587
I was more confused about why they were all cheering when the ship came back. If some long-lost ship magically shows up one day, you'd think they'd be skeptical about what was going on.

Also what the fuck was that floating thing? It's obviously some sort of dock for the ship but...what's its purpose? How is it floating in the air? Why does one end of it look like a fucking scorpion stinger? If it's a dock why is it floating in the air? You're just going to have to take a secondary vessel to get back down to the ground.
>>
>>83313398
Yeah they were pretty fucking dumb but at least it looked cool I guess. I had no problem with it since the only maybe halfway interesting thing is to see fassbender act. At least he's competent if a little fart sniffy about his performances.

I don't know. It's just interesting enough to watch the movies but they're really fucking dumb. I just want to see what shit they come up with to connect it to the original movies and a mild interest in the xenomorph species.
>>
>>83313664
Yeah man all these questions for a throwaway scene. You probably put more thought in it than they have.
>>
File: why.jpg (23KB, 288x499px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
23KB, 288x499px
>the engineer homeplanet could have been a biomechanical nightmare cityscape, instead we got rocks and wheat
fuck this senile fuck
>>
>>83312587

Covenantfags defend it by saying "Dude. engineers became agrarians, their History devolved..."

There is a huge ship floating mid-air, isn't that high tech?

SHITTY SCRIPT
>>
This should have been explained as a colony of engineers that have decided to live without using advanced technology and just living simple lives. There should be more planets with engineers living in highly advanced cities and planets.

From this movie Ridley Scott is implying that the highly advanced engineer race is dying off and retreated to one planet with one city. None of that makes sense. So many plot points and universe expansion that doesn't make any sense.
>>
>hey dude, check out these eggs I made
>go ahead, take a closer look, it's safe
>cue predictable facehugger jump scare
Why the fuck was that guy just going along with it all? He just saw that David clearly doesn't give a shit if people die and all his mad scientist experiments.
>>
>>83312587
Did anyone else assume that this was just some dumb tribal species and not the engineers?
>>
>>83312587

>be super intelligent race of space-traveling beings
>fly around the galaxy seeding planets with life
>decide to take a break at our religious city
>no tech allowed, you have to live and study like the ancients
>look up and see some malfunctioning cyborg dropping bio weapons from a civil war that ended a century ago
>mfw

They bombed a resort.
>>
>>83313904
I thought the same, "hey come here to this dark cave and take a look of this alien eggs, hey look how they open and make creepy sounds and something moves inside, hey puto your foucking head close, nothing bad is gonna happend..." Lazy as fuck script.

But maybe it is justified because that character was driven by religion and he was dumb? It's the only thing I can say could justify that.
>>
David has been on the planet for 10 years playing amateur zoologist and geneticist. He said that the goo transformed all the creatures on the planet. So why the fuck is the planet empty? Shouldn't the forests be crawling with xeno mutants of birds and bugs and whatever the fuck else used to live there? David has obviously had plenty of things to study and experiment on.
>>
>>83313940
I thought that because people were saying that this was another species created by the engineers and not the engineer in themselfes but it seems that they are the engineers.
>>
David is going to create Alien Nazis to wipe out humanity.
Next movie should be interesting
>>
>>83313992
>But maybe it is justified because that character was driven by religion and he was dumb? It's the only thing I can say could justify that.
Except in a prior scene he went ahead and gunned down the neomorph that David was trying his horse-whisperer impression on. The dude is clearly capable of recognizing a threat.

There's no way to justify it, even in the script. The writer is just a hack and Ridley Scott is an idiot for approving the damn thing.
>>
>>83314098
If he doesn't recognize that a white alien humanoid that has just behaded one of your friends is a threat then he isn't dumb, he's is blind.
>>
>>83313958
no girl engineers?
>>
Did some hindu anon leak an HD rip of this yet?
>>
Why does this planet have to be the engineer home world?, could this be a colony/seed world that's in a Rome like era and that dock in the air came out of hiding to meet the ship that has been basically missing for 2000 years. Who the fuck knows what's happend in that timeline
>>
>sir, incoming ship
>"is it one of ours?"
>yes, but it appears to be thousands of years old, should we check investigate
>"nah, let them dock"
>we're still able to dock a ship that old?
>"yup"
>"oh, and gather everyone, it looks cool as shit when a ship comes down"
>>
>>83314368
Who needs a womb when ya have black magic semen?
>>
>>83313244
The black goo seems to do anything but make a planet a clean slate. You're literally better off nuking the planet than bombing it with black goo because that shit creates a PERMANENT BIOHAZARD on the planet which renders it inhospitable for an unforeseeable amount of time
>>
>>83314935
hahahaahahaha Scott is stupid as fuck
>>
>>83312587

>they probably stole that tech from some other advanced alien race

Yeah, fuck cultural appropriation
>>
>>83312785
i wonder if it wasn't even their homeworld. . . surely there's other engineers out there, maybe they are seeded just like humans were, would explain the start of prometheus how one just gets left there to seed a world, maybe he was forced into it.
>>
>>83313958
>religious city
>no tech allowed
good idea really religion can make people do silly thing sometime let alone a super crazy religious alien with weird festish
but isn't this planet their homeworld or some shit
>>
at least there was shown a use for axes in space twice. can't top that
>>
File: 1495700458241.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1495700458241.png
29KB, 741x568px
Almost all of the comments about this movie are spergtastic but I have a legitimate one.

>David says the goo has no effect on floral life
>Have the group is infected because of goo spores from plants

???
>>
File: 1399331681382.jpg (185KB, 583x850px) Image search: [Google]
1399331681382.jpg
185KB, 583x850px
There are numerous hints in the movie that no one seems to ever discuss... I bet none of you even noticed the creatures popping out of the engineers when they were being killed that looked exactly like classic alien. I bet none of you even recognized the symbolism of the statues and their orientation designating the area to be of sacrificial use. Let's not even bring up how the "black goo" acts like a fucking nano machine swarm of AI scarabs...
>>
>>83314981
where do all there cummies go?
>>
>>83312885
>Wants mystery and moans that it's being taken away from the franchise
>Moans when something mysterious is in the film

Kys faggot obviously their idea of an advanced society is different to ours, maybe it's the reason they wanted to kill us
>>
>>83315009
Thats because they didn't intend it to create the biohazard
>>
>>83312587
>they probably stole that tech from some other advanced alien race

I fucking hope so
>>
>>83315689
No effect as in it doesn't kill them
>>
File: alien-Parker_7510.jpg (24KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
alien-Parker_7510.jpg
24KB, 250x350px
>>83312587

>mfw if 10 years ago someone showed me OPs image and told me it was from a new Alien film in the future
>>
>>83312587
Since this whole thing was based on some ancient aliens crap it fits at least, because somehow these super advanced aliens came and built stone buildings for us.
>>
>>83312587
The Precursor race in the Halo universe were also super advanced and got fucked over by lesser lifeforms that they themselves seeded(and then they created an unstoppable parasitic lifeform to get revenge......hmmm) . Perhaps they were content with what they had and didn't think anyone else would fuck them over.
>>
>So, how do we store 20000 colonists in their flammable tin coffins?
>Just let them hang freely.
>>
>>83315689
You're just retarded.
>>
>>83317242

There's lots of ways you can play it
>They're recovering from a huge war
>They're just another seeded race that the creators left on their dead homeworld
>They're just another seeded race and it's not the homeworld
>They're creations based on humans from 2000 years ago that were abducted
>>
File: 1495683251634.jpg (682KB, 1075x1583px) Image search: [Google]
1495683251634.jpg
682KB, 1075x1583px
>>83315838
Tell us how you really feel.
>>
New Alien was qt as fuck, tho
>>
>>83315448
stay in school
>>
what do you think the substances is that david bleeds when daniels stabs his neck?

do you think he mixed the black goo in with his coolant? or is it something else?
>>
File: dudewat .png (219KB, 538x512px) Image search: [Google]
dudewat .png
219KB, 538x512px
Are you guys just pretending to be retarded?
These guys aren't engineers they don't even look the same or are the same size.

They're just one of the engineers experiments.
>>
>>83317299
Someone with logic in this thread, thank fuck.
>>
why cant people accept ambiguity?
look at this set, why cant they just let it as unanswered mysterious ancient alien spacecraft with millions years of history? is it because star wars?
>>
>>83317475
man i look at this photo and yearn for what could have been. the original alien sets had such a feeling of mythology behind them.
>>
>>83317475
Why can't people just enjoy movies?
Why can't they just let fun films be fun films and instead sperg out over muh lore? Is it because autism?
>>
>>83312818
Yeah this old shithead constantly talk about some shit, but he don't show this moments in movie.
>>
They had embraced the aesthetic life and were no longer concerned with technological pursuits
>>
>>83312785
>no sign of life
Because the virus wiped it all out
They even acknowledged this "listen, its silent, no animal life"
>>
>>83317442
I hope you're right
>>
>>83317475
Giger's original concept was that everything here was dessicated, mummified. The ship, the "engineer" who was *growing* out of the chair. The whole thing was supposed to have once been entirely organic and one living bio-mechanical organism... that just happened to be a ship too.
>>
>>83317475
Why are Alien fans so insufferable? Yes that otherwise shitty movie had one single good 5 minute scene like 30 years ago, and the rest was a slasher movie with garbage actors set in a facto- oh I mean in "space." Prometheus and Covenant introduce far more ambiguity, mystery, and intrigue than that one old scene, you fucking shit taste moron.
>>
>>83317494
>fun films
Bill and Ted is fun, Blade runner is fun, Prometheus and Covenant are just retarded not because they're massively pretentious, but because they don't stick to their own in-universe mythology.
You can make the movie as dumb as you like but when even Dude, Where's my Car has a better understanding of its own mixed up setting and chronology you know you're in trouble.
>>
>>83317559
That makes no sense, if it were one organism there would be no identifiable pilot at all, let alone one with humanoid features.
>>
>>83317592
It was the late 70's, no concept of the *humanoid* engineers existed. Everything back then was just Giger's concepts brought to life. As far as anyone was concerned the face on the pilot was it's face, they changed it later to be a helmet. The original Alien set piece had no legs.
>>
>>83317592
Why are hard sci-fiers so fucking stupid?
>>
>>83317592
>alien organism
>lol that unrealistic
>>
>>83317673
That's wrong though, it was always a suit.

>Why are hard sci-fiers so fucking stupid?

says the uneducated drooling inbred moron who thinks a "living organism" randomly grows a humanoid pilot for no reason other than to amaze human explorers in the future. It was clearly always a distinct pilot operating the ship, there's literally no chance the people who made Alien are as stupid as you are.
>>
File: cat gun you.jpg (5KB, 200x160px) Image search: [Google]
cat gun you.jpg
5KB, 200x160px
>>83312655
>INTERACTIONS BETWEEN THE ENGINEERS, DAVID, AND SHAW

THIS IS WHAT I WAS HYPED FOR AFTER SEEING THE LAST SCENE OF PROMETHEUS THIS IS WHAT I WAITED FOR THIS IS WHAT I WANTED

I CURSE EVERYBODY INVOLVED IN THE PRODUCTION OF PROMETHEUS AND COVENANT YOU WILL HAVE AGONIZING CANCEROUS SYPHILIS
I CURSE EVERYBODY INVOLVED IN THE PRODUCTION OF PROMETHEUS AND COVENANT YOU WILL HAVE AGONIZING CANCEROUS SYPHILIS
>>
>>83317689
Are you really this brain damaged? Why would a living space ship have a pilot? That would be like the human body, instead of evolving legs, evolving a separate "fake" human body with legs to carry around the main human body. No one writing a big budget movie would ever write something that unbelievably incoherent or unintelligent into their story.
>>
>actually caring about Alien past the first GOAT movie
>>
>>83317442
>Are you guys just pretending to be retarded?
>These guys aren't engineers they don't even look the same or are the same size.
>They're just one of the engineers experiments.

I do hope you're right and it's addressed as being that in the follow up, but in all the concept art and "making of" shit for AC they do say it's the engineer homeworld.
>>
>>83312882
How do your brain make that connection
>>
>>83317560
>defends Prometheus
>"you fucking shit taste moron."

You need to seriously reasses your life.
>>
>>83317827
>double digit IQ mouth breather dislikes Prometheus
>this is supposed to be breaking news
>>
I feel glad that I can actually enjoy movies still
>>
>>83317464
most anons on /tv/ need to be spoonfed their information because they have shit for brains due to mummy and daddy being brother and sister.
>>
>>83317560
>wants ambiguity

you just want an excuse to talk-talk-talk because your pretentious pontificating yammering is your way of attentionwhoring
>>
>>83313458
This has been established but
I think Lucas actively shat on his franchise on purpose
Scott is just a senile hack
>>
>>83317743
>>83317789
You do know who Giger is right? That most of the visual concepts were his, that he always had a penchant for Bio-mechanical, the idea of organic and machine fused as one organism.
You have no concept of what science fiction can be beyond fucking lazers and wookies.
>>
>>83313794
I still have my doubts that it was their homeworld. They looked nothing like the Engineers in Prometheus. I bet they were another civilization that was seeded and was more "pure" compared to humans
>>
>>83317673
it was very clearly implied that a chestburster came out of the "engineer", so clearly the concept of it being humanoid did exist, stop making things up
>>
>>83317848

Is this a meme or paid shilling? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>83313958
i see what they were doing with the teeth now. no fangs because they're pure humanoids, right, while humans are like animal crossbreeds

poetry
>>
>>83315689
Fungus isn't plant life
>>
I don't think it was the ancients homework, because David mentions how the humans were desperate to survive, and they they were a dying species. I think the same is meant of the engineers, maybe the planet David bombed was simply a colony of the engineers attempting to survive after their own destruction. Makes since that if you seed the universe with life that you may get to the point that you destroy your own kind. Afterwards your peeps probably wouldn't be all about technology and just want simplistic life. Yet, then comes kisses off android, creation of your creation to kill you.
>>
>>83312587
stone is actually a very reliable and durable building material
its the reason it was used for thousands of years
metal is very flimsy and requires much more upkeep by comparison, same with wood
stone is just expensive to build on a grand scale with
>>
>>83312587
I was thinking abut this shitty movie...

If an engineer drinking the goo, ends creating a race of humans that looks like the engineers.

The creatures breed with the black goo, that all looks basically the same (like xenos), should not the result of another specie's DNA diluted in the black goo?
>>
>>83313794
Why the hell would they be on the planet if it was a biomechanical nightmare, they were looking for a new home to live in.
>>
>>83317573
Prometheus and Covenant don't mess up the chronology at all though, unless you're so far into "muh Alien" territory that any new lore ruins it for you.
>>
a stone city would make a lot of sense, for a colony planet.
when you colonise a planet, you use something you have in abundance as building material, as opposed to shipping in fancy high tech materials from the home world.
with their technology, building stuff from stone would be pretty cheap, and it's a pretty good building material anyway.
>>
>>83317299
i assumed that the people david killed were also created by engineers. They seemed to be welcoming the arrival of a leader or god when david chem-nuked their asses.
>>
Was this better than Prometheus? I thought so as I was leaving the theather but now I'm not sure.

David definitely could have been gayer.
>>
>>83319367
Simple
>Since Shaw is dead anyway and it's irrelevant when David develops his special version of the Xenomorph because not only was the one in Alien Space Jockey based, with one of them present on the ship, they already had shrines of one exactly it in Prometheus, increase time gap to like 100-200 years after Prometheus
>David's been hard at work on his Xenomorph project, all he needs now are humans and a spaceship
>Spends those 100-200 years cultivating human friendly life on the surface of the biomechanical planet, while bellow the surface it is an insane maze of endless subterranean cityscapes
>Eventually colony ship shows up to check out the prospective colony location
I mean it's not like they had any real reason to go there to being with, aside from a decent chance of it being habitable and the fact that something human made sent a broadcast from there, which they recognized by the song.
Literally the only thing that would have to have been changed, was a bit of extra time for nature to reclaim the surface.
>>
>>83317405
No, that's just the light in the shot. If it was the goo (which my phone autocorrects to GOP h-haha...) it would have formed into a cloud and attacked her.
>>
>>83314001
>Shouldn't the forests be crawling with xeno mutants of birds and bugs and whatever the fuck else used to live there?
you'd have to pay creature designers, foley artists and cgi people, why not just show nothing?
>>
>2000 year old ship randomly shows up in your city
>no one is suspicious.
>your tech hasn't advanced at all in 2000 yrs
>>
>>83312587
>The engineers were the only interesting part of Prometheus
>ugh no the mysterious horror from outer space wasn't made by some inter intelligent, terrifying species with obscure motifs, it was made by a gay crazy robot xDDDD, so deep because it's le artificla intelligence theme, so deep sci fi
>>
>>83314935
the engineers were in cryo as i recall.
>>
>>83312655
>>83317784

>make a movie with one human, one robot and a bunch of Engineers
>most of the dialogue is subtitled because Shaw doesn't speak Engineer
>somehow this is supposed to be made five or six movies into a franchise where "everybody" "agrees" that only the first two were any good
>>
>>83318081
>Lucas actively shat on his franchise on purpose
>made billions
>loved around the world by everyone

Fuck off, dumbass
>>
>>83312587
what about the predators? they have tech but are tribal at the same time, wear loincloths
>>
the white robot had to beat the old dumb demi gods duh!! white people beat everything !!!!
>>
>>83312587
So is David's genocide of the Engineers actually shown in Covenant or just in that prologue trailer that came out a few months ago?

If this scene is in the actual film and elaborated on I might go pay to see it in theaters.
>>
>>83323094
its like halfway in, and longer, probably the best scene desu, its like they put all their funds in that one scene
>>
>>83317784
>cancerous syphilis
jesus christ that does sound pretty bad
>>
Those weren't the Engineers :^)
I'll be disappointed if they actually are.
>>
>>83323094

>So is David's genocide of the Engineers actually shown in Covenant

yes. the prologue is a deleted scene, or half of a scene. the movie skips the part with Shaw and starts with the Engineer ship warping in, then continues and actually shows the black goo containers being dropped and the Engineers getting fucked up.

apparently Fox wanted to cut the whole thing, and Ridley fought to keep it in. although it might've cost the second Neomorph, in the neverending quest to keep these exactly two hours long.
>>
>>83313535
If anything the Engineers were the Nazis and David was the Jew.
>>
>>83323291
>apparently Fox wanted to cut the whole thing, and Ridley fought to keep it in.

Fuck, don't these retards realize that the best parts of Prometheus were the ones dealing with David and the Engineers? I liked Prometheus because of that stuff, not the generic sci-fi slasher shit.
>>
>>83323291
is there some scene with that second one that got cut? we never see it past the initial attack in that wheat field
>>
>>83323356
t. Ridley
>>
File: production-still-08.jpg (120KB, 1165x806px) Image search: [Google]
production-still-08.jpg
120KB, 1165x806px
>>83323435

yeah, it showed up around the same time Danny McBride came down with that other landing ship.

in the novelization, the Neo and the Original Flavor Alien fight. in at least one test screening version, they both attack at once, Daniels shoots the Neo, then they get on the cargo lifter thing and have the rest of the scene.
>>
>>83317110
>I'm going to excuse retarded writing for 'muh mystery'
>I'm going to use the acronym kys to show I'm an underaged retard

It shows, faggot. Kill yourself
>>
>>83313794
You'll have to sharpen your razor for another day.
>>
File: Spores.png (372KB, 697x397px) Image search: [Google]
Spores.png
372KB, 697x397px
I saw the movie last night and I need some help understanding the the origin of the spores.

In the movie, David explicitly states that the black goo only affects the fauna (meat) of a given planet. With that taken into consideration, how did the spores come into being?

The only explanation I can come up with is that the spores were what the Engineers used to create the black goo. Essentially, they synthesized the infectious component of the spores and turned it into the bio-weapon we know as black goo.
>>
>>83324045
David says the black stuff can do whatever the fuck it wants depending on the circumstance.
>>
>>83324045
fungi are classed as neither fauna nor flora so they get a pass
>>
>>83317547
i meant signs of life like things on the planet other than one small village. Like maybe a mount rushmore type thing, a nice gondola up one of the mountains for sightseeing, or maybe an ancient wheat tiller.
>>
>>83318147
That's what I thought as well, but remember, in Prometheus they explicitly set sail for the Engineer homeworld. So unless that new film is going to explain that they crashed on the wrong planet, that really was the Engineer homeworld.
>>
File: paradise.jpg (128KB, 1280x589px) Image search: [Google]
paradise.jpg
128KB, 1280x589px
fuckinga stupidfp ridlheh scogtt fuckgin cuynt just sticj to the fuckgh plan
>>
>>83324644
Loos like kino tbqh
>>
>>83312587
What I don't understand is this
>the Xeno from 1 we now know David ended up creating
>how did the Xeno eggs go from Covenant to the Pilot's ship in the first Alien?
>>
>>83324812
yea this is my question too. also dont the eggs come from a queen as seen in aliens?
>>
>>83324846

>Aliens

no longer canon. ;^)
>>
>>83324812
they somehow did
who cares
>>
>>83324644
>Aztec pyramids
Hmmmm.
>>
The first ship we saw in prometheus was totatlly different
Does it appear here?
>>
>>83324644
>>83325014

that's a fan-made poster with Prometheus concept art.
>>
>>83312818
I love how all big name directors these days get all their "own ideas" from upstart Hollywood peons, who ripped of everything they know from video games.
>>
>>83325132
>Prometheus concept art.
the more I read the angrier I get
that movie had so much potential
>>
>>83325491
I just watched Prometheus for the first time the other day. It was admittedly a flawed film but also had seeds of greatness. I wonder if Covenant is the same way (haven't seen it yet).
>>
>>83325658
Covenant is an improvement over Promethius, but that isn't saying much. There's still some cringeworthy moments, a lot of unanswered questions and borderline plotholes, and almost the entire first act of the plot is driven entirely by the characters' stupidity.
>>
File: the beginning the end.jpg (212KB, 737x1648px) Image search: [Google]
the beginning the end.jpg
212KB, 737x1648px
>>83325491

I wouldn't be too mad about that one, since it seems to go with the end of one of the Spaihts drafts, which makes no sense whatsoever if it's supposed to be LV-426.

(Watts is Shaw, the Magellan is the Prometheus)
>>
>>83317789
Because you can have a ship made of living tissue instead of just being made of metal or....even living metal and it still may carry passengers, read some fucking sci-fi you imbecile it's nothing new.
>>
>>83322622
>2000 yrs

But for a species that has been arond for billions of years, that is like a blink of an eye. They probably don't have anything left to advance. They obviously think living simply is an advanced form of living, while still having technical capabilities if needed. They also probably consider themselves to be above security and have never encountered another species that could do them harm. So they had no need to fear the ship. Also explains the Engineers rage in Prometheus: he legitimately had never seen another advanced species and his first instinct was fear, not unlike humans.
>>
>>83317789
>living space ship have a pilot

Picture the crew as organs or other necessary parts of a functioning living thing. They preform maintencance, provide logistics, interpret sensory input, etc.
>>
Why did they raise their arms towards the ship when they saw it.
I support the ones saying that these are not engineers and just another seed experiment, one that remembers their visitations from the engineers and therefore welcomed the ship again.
>>
>>83317789
Why would a horse need a rider?
>>
>Advanced spacefaring race with magic technology
> They dock the ship in their huge docking platform
>No communication with the crew
>No scans of the ship showing it's still loaded with bombs
>Totally unaware that it's loaded the bombs into the bomb-bay and opened the doors over the city

Man, these super-advanced space-travellers who have entire ships and planets dedicated to bombing the piss out of other worlds sure are trusting and pretty lax on security.
>>
>>83312818
Still doesn't explain why they have no defense against their own biological warfare agent.

Living in burlap sacks like some idiot super-race on Star Trek assumes they've solved all their dangers so they have the option of of that.
>>
>>83326450
Because they are not the engineers but another engineer seeded planet. That's why they are greeting the engineer ship before David bombed them, because they finally got revisited.
>>
>>83314935
>everyone? Even people on the other side of the planet and wandering the wilderness?
>EVERYONE!
>>
>>83326159
>So they had no need to fear the ship. Also explains the Engineers rage in Prometheus: he legitimately had never seen another advanced species and his first instinct was fear, not unlike humans.
Program your child races DNA to make them draw star maps like Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters. Be shocked and fearful when one arrives.
>>
>>83326512
Don't buy this theory because they look too much like engineers to not be them. They should look more like humans or pink guys or something.
>>
>>83312587
is it confirmed that this is the Engineer homeworld? Or is it just some colony?
>>
>>83313662

Here's what David is reasoning:

1. Shaw is going to die of old age. He is not
2. He loves Shaw and wants to do something special for her so he uses her eggs to help her live on.
3. The alien is his and Shaw's "children"
>>
File: 820.jpg (25KB, 550x336px) Image search: [Google]
820.jpg
25KB, 550x336px
>>83327025
>>
Haven't seen the movie but saw the scene where David bombs the engineers. Why black goo suddenly turned into spores?
>>
>>83327366
It does in contact with air, apparently.
>>
I get why it looks like Rome, because some consider it the peak of any human civilization and there is probably an allusion to Christianity fucking over Rome, but they could've made the architecture more futuristic.
>>
>>83327404

and we don't know what David found out from the ship's records. he could've programmed it, since he did "learn their ways".
>>
>havni the central characters quote Shelley to another
>expecting subtlety

Oh my fucking god I couldn't believe it. This is a movie for people who think scrutinizing teh matrix is intelelctually redeeming.
>>
>Capable of space travel
>Don't have a Navy to request flight codes or protocol.
>Just lets a giant Military ship float on near a city.

Like no way in hell would a US Navy Aircraft carrier just be able to roll on in to Miami
>>
File: 615596984.jpg (664KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
615596984.jpg
664KB, 1024x1024px
>>83312587
There are tribes in Africa that still live their old life but have western technology.

No reason a less advanced society can't use the technology of a more advanced one.
>>
>>83327459
>Christianity fucking over Rome
>Byzantium survives a thousand years
what did he mean by this?
>>
File: ridley-scott-superheroes.jpg (452KB, 2048x1343px) Image search: [Google]
ridley-scott-superheroes.jpg
452KB, 2048x1343px
>"The one on the left does the blowing while the one on the right does the fingering"
>- Ridley Scott
>>
>>83317559
So farscape? How original...
>>
>>83317592
The idea being that perhaps this alien species specifically grew or birthed members of their species in to a physical body linked to their role in civilization. This alien being created to be a spaceship or transport of some kind.

Its not an uncommon theme in sci-fi to have organic "ships".
>>
File: 8660019_600x338.jpg (21KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
8660019_600x338.jpg
21KB, 600x338px
>>83327025
>>
>>83324499
why did david crash the spaceship after landing it perfectly fine?
>>
>>83313958
What if it was a prison planet, where especially hardened Engineer criminals are just dumped and left to their own devices? That would also explain lack of women. And the floating thing in the sky was actually a security device to prevent criminals from building a spaceship (if by chance they could manage it despite the primitive technology) and escaping? And they were cheering probably because they thought the ship brought fresh convicts and were hoping for some qt ones :3
>>
>>83322095
even AVP had an actual Queen on set as opposed to blurry CGI alien raptors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PlJ4e_86YM
>>
>>83317148
Wouldn't they have tested that thing at least to realize it doesnt work as intended?
>>
>>83322889
Making a humn built android the source of all alias is Fucking retarded. The series was better when alias were mysterious pre exgusting creatures like zerg.
>>
>>83319838
I think it was worse. There was no atmosphere, there was less sense of mystery and wonder - compared to locations in Prometheus the Wheat Planet is such a letdown. Prometheus had a feel of a decent creepypasta - while this is like a fanfic by some try-hard teenager who tries to be edgy and deep but comes off just cringey with all those tacky overexposed quotes and references.
>>
>>83328180
Stop questioning Ridley's vision. Probably another deleted scene.

>>83328636
What references? Oh, these references?
>Alien music
>Alien mess hall scene (not in actual movie)
>Prometheus music
>Aliens drop sequence
>White tank top heroine

Prometheus had a lot of problems, but at the end of it you knew that it was just a set up for the real adventure when Shaw would confront the Engineers. Then you find out she died off screen and David went nuts and nothing makes sense. Why didn't the black goo make an army of protomorphs? Why did David's hair grow? Hopefully the next movie, Alien: Deep Biblical Reference finds a way to avoid answering these questions and more.
>>
File: yiuyif.png (3MB, 1078x1000px) Image search: [Google]
yiuyif.png
3MB, 1078x1000px
>>83327755
There are tribes like that in denmark as well.
>>
File: femaleenginee.png (1MB, 814x908px) Image search: [Google]
femaleenginee.png
1MB, 814x908px
>>83328262
Look behind the left standing engineer, in the picture you replied to. There is a female engineer there with a cap on.
>>
>>83329233
How the fuck can you tell that's a female?
>>
Ridley is such a fucking hack
>>
>>83329305
because it's wearing a hat.
>>
File: 1355732736250.png (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1355732736250.png
16KB, 400x400px
In the novel, which seems to be based off an earlier script and includes cut scenes, David finds an ancient xeno egg on the planet and discovers that the Engineers created the original xenos. Then he decides to "perfect" them or whatever, and this results in the protomorph we see. This solves the continuity problems of "how did eggs get on that crashed ship in Alien" and "I thought xenos needed a queen to make eggs." David didn't actually create xenos, he just modified them.

Why the fuck is Ridley Scott so intent on removing scenes and forcing his movies to hit the 2 hour mark? He did the same damn thing with Prometheus when he cut the extended opening of the Engineers preparing that one guy to drink the goo. What's even more baffling is he doesn't even leave the cut scenes in for a director's cut on DVD so we can have a seamless film, he just includes them in behind the scenes shit.
>>
Are you all stupid or something? That place wasn't the engineers homeworld, it was the other faction that tried to kill humans. The engineers' ships are diferent.
>>
The whole homeworld should've been weird biological machinery, you know, Giger inspired. Their ships seem completely out of place in their dumb homeworld
>>
>>83329737
Scott has never liked Giger's visions.
>>
>>83329869
And with good reason, once you get used to his gimmick, all his shit looks uninteresting and bland.
>>
>>83329200
I meant the Ozymandias quote, Isle of the Dead, 'servant in heaven'. Those are such a dead-horse allusions, unless you're like 12 and just started discovering European culture.
>>
>>83329900
Yes, not like the brilliant looking neomorph and the very good looking protomorph. Thank god Scott abandoned the uninteresting and bland designs of Giger.
>>
>>83312587
Going back to a natural aesthetic makes a society look more advanced. It shows that they have enough technical prowess that they can live in stone sculpted cities without the downsides.
>>
>>83329664
>David didn't actually create xenos, he just modified them.

Wrong, Ridley has explicitly stated that David made the Xenos.

He doesn't give a shit about believe-ability or continuity, he just liked the idea of it, so he did it.

Just look up the interview with him talking about Covenant. He also brought back the Xeno just because he thought people wanted to see it again.
>>
>>83330168
So is Aliens non-canon?
>>
>>83317442
http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-scott-explains-why-david-bombed-engineers

are you just pretending to be dumb enough to believe ridley has a plan?
>>
>>83330264
The first fucking Alien is non-canon at this point.

>>83330310
>Ridley explains that David has no respect for Engineers or Humanity and actually have developed a hatred of their species collectively
Goddamn talk about half-assing it.
>>
I don't get why so many of you are complaining about this? What is it that you don't like? That things have a backstory now?
>>
>>83330498
It's because Alien set a level of mystery that couldn't be topped. Prometheus promised to explore that mystery but instead we got the Lost writers typical "Make up bullshit as we go along they'll it it up" leading to a backlash casing an old Ridley Scott to get salty and fuck things up further.

All we wanted some some Giger tier interesting shit the the biggest mystery of the Alien Franchise, the Derelict Ship and it's fossilized pilot.

Instead we got endless salt and muh Jesus.
>>
>>83330498
That the backstory is nowhere as deep as it was hinted to be
That the Engineers, who are supposed to be an advanced ancient godlike race act retarded and get btfo by one Mary-Sue robot
That the crew of a colony ship, who are supposed to be not simply professionals, but the best of the best, act retarded and get btfo by one Mary Sue gay android
>>
>>83330700
There's really not much else you could go with Giger art. It all boils down to biomechanical dicks and vaginas.
>>
He's going to make 2 more movies yet. I wonder if they will both rewrite the history again. Maybe Shaw will be alive in the next one.
>>
>>83312587
that planet is where they put all their arts and gender study graduates
>>
>>83330498
pretty much the story is shit now and too small world bullshit. a robot made the alien, no one wanted that. Yes that's what Ridley did but no one is eating it.
>>
File: 1481147282442.jpg (53KB, 595x398px) Image search: [Google]
1481147282442.jpg
53KB, 595x398px
>>83330498
>That things have a backstory now?
I don't mind a backstory, I liked Prometheus. But Covenant completely shits over everything. Ridley is just making shit up as he goes along, and he's not even bothering to see if it contradicts with the established timeline. FFS, he can't even make Covenant consistent with Prometheus.
>crew of prometheus find an ancient mural of a xenomorph queen
>david somehow creates the xenomorphs
Ridley Scott doesn't care at this point. He's just a senile old man who's trying to turn his series into a cash cow.
>>
>>83330830

Dude we started with Giger and we ended up with a plain stone city with NO notable features and a gay android designing the xeno by himself in a fucking cave out of scraps.
>>
File: David.jpg (65KB, 1360x877px) Image search: [Google]
David.jpg
65KB, 1360x877px
Why didn't he just kill the two survivors too, now that the girl knows who he is
>>
>>83329912
Those did feel jammed in there for no real reason.

>>83331124
Because crazy. Maybe if he infects Tennesse the Xeno will have a cowboy hat shaped head.
>>
>>83331124
Because that gives him an extra two people to impregnate.

Also he seems to enjoy watching people try to fight back against xenos, so he might be saving them so he can wake them up later and laugh as he watches them get chased around by thousands of xenos.
>>
>>83330830
Bio-mechanical is key. The xenomorph was even almost canonically bio-mechanical in Alien given its cells plate themselves with silicon.

If you look at the original design of the Engineer/Jockey it's something that was fully merged with its chair. They decided to make it human-like? I'm not as angry about that as most other people about that but beyond their "fused" black body suit the bio-mechanical element was lost.

But that is besides the point, they had an interesting concept going with the idea that the xenomorphs are a part of some larger, bizarre genetic engineering liquid related to some religious cult as a part of some incomprehensible plan from a progenitor species and yet they still fucked it up.
>>
>>83312653
I'm not here to defend ridley hack but it could be assumed that the black goo infestation sent them back to the aylium stone age all across their home worlds and outposts and that's why they were all surprised and amazed at one of their own ships docking up and they thought it was friendly with no actual technology to scan or even communicate with the ship.
>>
>>83331302
>Maybe if he infects Tennesse the Xeno will have a cowboy hat shaped head.
Or it'll be shaped like a bottle of Jack Daniels, because apparently that company is still around a hundred years from now.
>>
>>83331302
>>83331310
One more question, was David faking those tears when he talked about loving Shaw or did he really love her in a twisted way
>you will be the mother of my children
>>
File: YyCtcO0.png (296KB, 610x309px) Image search: [Google]
YyCtcO0.png
296KB, 610x309px
So Engineers made humans, humans made androids, androids made xenos. I don't really mind this turn of events, though the muh creation/deity allegories are a bit overused.

The Xenomorph that was in Covenant did not have an exosqueleton, so I'm guessing at some point David will manage to be a host for his own creation, probably creating the first Xeno queen to tie in with Aliens. I get that it's a very predictable backstory now but there's really nowhere to go. They could have kept the larger than life theme from Alien but at that point we would just get the same type of plot from Alien vs Predator, ie Humans caught in the crossfire.

Creating non-generic and compelling backstories from already stablished imagery and themes can be hard, Ass Effect also tried to make its own backstory as 'epic' as its premise but failed according to many.
>>
>>83331567
engineers made xenos too, david just perfected them to be human/engineer killing machines
the deacon was technically still a xeno
>>
There were Xenos in the murals in Prometheus.

Unless Ridley is really just throwing away all continuity, then David must have made something similar but not the same as the ones the Engineers had murals of.
>>
>>83331413
>was David faking those tears when he talked about loving Shaw or did he really love her in a twisted way
Nah. If he was faking it he wouldn't have bothered making a symbolic grave for her. He still loves her, in some twisted way.
>>
>>83330264
There is no canon or continuity with these flicks.
>>
>>83331735
Well. Engineers created humans, humans created David and David created the Xenos, we know that now. However, who created the Engineers?

I think the next movie will show that David discovers time travel, and travels back to before Prometheus where he is shown to create the Engineers and send them to a planet where he has created the mural in order to make them want to create the perfect organism, so David creates the Engineers that creates humanity that creates David the creates the Xenos that travels in time to create the Engineers.
>>
David is the typical android who wants to feel human emotions but is restrained by his syntethic nature. He wants to create to prove humans wrong and will eventually come to the conclusion that a biomechanical living being would be perfect, so he will create the first biomechanical Xenomorph and he will somehow be the host.
>>
>>83331835
No matter what is said, the derelict ship on the planet in Alien was said to have been there for millions of years. You can't bullshit your way out of that.
>>
>>83331910
Probably another ship that was sent to holocaust another species they created millions of years ago. The one in prometeus was for the humans.
>>
It's also confirmed that David uploaded himself in to Walter.
http://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/45292
>>
>>83331987
That ship was carrying eggs, not black goo. My point is that Ridley can not possibly make a scenario where David invented the iconic Xenomorph without looking like a careless hack.
>>
The only thing I don't like about the new films are the space jockeys, should've gone with the original design and not make it just a suit. Aside from that I'm not bothered by most of Prometeus or Covenant.
>>
>>83332011
I thought David just pulled the ol' switcheroo and gave himself the cuts on his face and chopped his hand off.
>>
>>83332213
Walter awoke.

He was back online. His sensors told him he was without body. David had decapitated him. It was completely dark. He could smell and taste organic cloth.

He was in a sack.

David must of woven it. Such creativity.
Walter also determined he was surrounded by stone. Jammed into a crevice or stored in a box, perhaps dropped down a dry well? He did not know.

Walter could hear footsteps.....
The USCSS Nostromo was preparing to get underway......
>>
>quick, we need to make our evil synthetic seem smart and intelligent
>i don't know, just fucking quote some random 19th century poem lol.
I thought the movie was alright though.
>>
why is it so hard for people to understand that this is a superior humanoid race which has figured out stuff about life, biomechanics, interstellar space, etc.

they can be immortal or very near so

they create life in their own image - spawning possibly countless creations on planets that are hospitable for their offspring to exist

they probably do this because they can, probably similar reasons why humans create art, music, weapons, artificial intelligence/ androids, and whatever the fuck. If humans had the engineers' collective abilities and knowledge, they would likely do similar shit

and similarly how humans take no shit from androids when they go apeshit against their creators and then kill the fuck out of them (e.g. Alien but also Blade Runner), engineers don't like humans because of an event that took place 2000 years before Prometheus
>>
>>83330168
you're not even kidding this old bastard lost it a long time ago and now he's tryna go out in a blaze of alien movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo30bZc10D0
>>
I have a mancrush for Fastblender desu
>>
>>83332339
Maybe he's dying and sees these easy cashins as a way to leave his family as much money as possible.
>>
>>83332339
He said he's going in to "war of the worlds".

So he's going to make a big alien war movie?
>>
>>83332574
David goes to earth, unleashes a xeno apocalypse, David creates Ripley, Jonesy is a robot cat with David's AI uploaded into it and that's why the xeno ignores the cat in Alien because it recognized it as his father.
>>
>>83331910
>>83331835
>>83331987
>>83332044

this is literal geiger kino in the form of writing

this is like a dick sucking itself, impregnating itself and giving birth to itself all at once

true HR geigerkino
>>
>>83332689
Alien takes place in 2122, and Covenant in 2104. David doesn't have much time.
>>
>>83332574
goes back to earth trying to finish what the engineers started - only not with the goo, but with his alium creations

is poetty it rimes
>>
This is really off topic, but I wish I lived in a stone building. Must be so cool all year round.
>>
>>83332978

It would be very cold if you live in an area with winter.
>>
>>83332929
Well he made tons of different xenos in the span of 10 years, and all he had to work with was a few scientific instruments in a cave. Imagine what he'll be able to do now that he has access to a giant colony ship.
>>
>>83332278
i was perfectly gothic, dude.
>>
>>83333048
But he has no black goo anymore, all he has is 2 xeno embryos. That means he can create two xenos but nothing else.
>>
>>83312653
>home planet has no protection whatsoever
It was cloaked from any sort of detection, hence why it didn't appear until the rogue signal from Shaw was picked up.
We don't know that.
>home planet has only one spaceship there
See above
>no security check or clearance for incoming spaceships
The Engineers probably thought it wasn't necessary since they were able to remain hidden for so long.
>no way to defend themselves whatsoever
They most likely had means of defending themselves, but not against the black goo since it's basically the ultimate weapon.
>>
File: lizards.jpg (130KB, 598x598px) Image search: [Google]
lizards.jpg
130KB, 598x598px
>>83312653
>billion years old alien race
>no evolution in terms of biology or tech since they created life on Earth
What did they mean

>>83312818
Scott also went on about MUH JESUS regarding the reason why Engineers wanted to kill humans in Prometheus, remember?
He's insane at this point.
>>
>>83333197
>But he has no black goo anymore, all he has is 2 xeno embryos. That means he can create two xenos but nothing else.
Bad writing will find a way.
>>
>>83331341
>are a part of some larger, bizarre genetic engineering liquid
>part of some incomprehensible plan from a progenitor species
The Expanse (books) ripped those ideas off too spectacularly.
>>
>>83331341
>I'm not as angry about that as most other people about that
I AM
Doubly so because they could have brought Giger back on board to make him work his magic for one final big project, one last time, and they didn't. And now he's dead and will never make anything like that.
>>83330830
There's considerable variety and detail in that "biomechanical dicks and vaginas", and that aside he could have easily designed new things that are less overtly sexual (or not at all; he has some cityscapes that contain no sexual elements at all yet are still distinctly Giger) but would still be biomech.
>>
Man, there were some weird cuts in that movie
>>
>>83324812
guess you'll have to wait for the next movies like everyone else
>>
>>83332929

>implying Alien doesn't take place When The Fuck Ever now.

>>83331835

>reading the comic books
>>
>>83326920
>they look too much like engineers
compare them with the one from LV223

also i'm sorry about your visual impairment
>>
>>83327025
>Shaw is going to die of old age.

probably sooner. she doesn't look too healthy in the covenant prologue.
>>
http://www.scified.com/video/503
Why didn't they include scenes with Shaw from this video into the movie? Would one extra minute hurt so bad?
>>
File: IMG_20170527_142230.jpg (176KB, 1080x752px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_142230.jpg
176KB, 1080x752px
how come David never learned to print?
>>
>>83334463
>Would one extra minute hurt so bad?

In the commentary for Prometheus Ridley as well as the editor mention a number of times why so much was cut. Ridley wanted fast pacing because he was afraid the audience would get bored.

Looks the same happened to Covenant.
>>
>>83334463
The same reason Ridley Scott didn't include the full intro in Prometheus, showing the Engineers preparing the goo-drinker in a ritual, even thought it was only around minutes.

He's a goddamn idiot obsessed with not going over the 2 hour mark.
>>
>>83330264
>>83330386
>>83331769
The Alien franchise is now the LoZ of film.
>>
>>83331567
> but failed according to many.
That's because that backstory can be summed up as follows: "we create organic life and then kill organic life once it gets evolved enough before it is able to kill itself with its technology"

The main problem is trying to explain all this shit. Who cares? The more you explain the less mysterious and interesting it becomes. And Alien as a franchise is exceptionally bad in this case because it's more or less responsible for birthing the "aliens should basically be bugs or feral animals" meme (with Aliens, which made them into ants). So if you explain everything, and end up with DA PERFECT PREDATURRR!! OOH SO SCARY AND YOU ARE DA PREY BTW (in this case, David creates a "perfect" predator species)... that's just so dumb, unimaginative and flat. And yet it's basically what every hack writer does.
>>
>>83334735

As well as:

>Janek's monologue that expands on how the planet is a military outpost
>Biologist first interaction with worms when they were smaller, making his childlike wonder and excitement when he sees the snake much more understandable
>the Engineer roaming the lifeboat and studying the books and music and art of humans before finding Shaw
>the Engineer speaking and David translating which enlightens the audience as to why he goes ape shit and kills everyone
>etc.

Prometheus should have been 2 and a half hours. Sure Covenant is the same.
>>
>>83334962
was this stuff filmed?
>>
>>83312587
>>83312653
I ask the cow, "Why do you want pliers?" And the cow answers, "I'm really hungry." So I ask, "Why do you need pliers if you're hungry?" The cow answers, "To attach them to branches of the peach tree." I ask, "Why a peach tree?" To which the cow replies, "Well, that's why I traded away my fan, isn't it?" And so on and so forth. The thing is never resolved. I begin to resent the cow, and the cow begins to resent me. That's a worm's eye view of its universe.”
>>
File: 1463385542364.jpg (33KB, 300x259px) Image search: [Google]
1463385542364.jpg
33KB, 300x259px
>>83335216
Some of it was, like David translating the Engineer.

The truly baffling thing is that the cut scenes which were filmed weren't even put back into the movie for a director's cut version. They just left them in the DVD's extras section.
>>
File: art2.jpg (133KB, 1023x575px) Image search: [Google]
art2.jpg
133KB, 1023x575px
>>83335216

Yeah. The blu has about 35 minutes of deleted scenes.

Hunt down the Prometheus Agent9 Fan Edit.
>>
>>83333369
>We don't know that.
I think it's fair to assume that's the case.
David had been living in the left-over ruins for a long time and nobody had come from any other cities/settlements to see what's been going on. Which they ought to have, since they should be wondering why they suddenly couldn't stay in touch with David's city anymore.
>>
>>83335380
so, what did the engineer say then?
>>
>>83328180
They needed one in the wreckage
>>
File: 301215_01.jpg (258KB, 620x411px) Image search: [Google]
301215_01.jpg
258KB, 620x411px
>>83335380

and then there were the deleted/alternate scenes that weren't in the deleted scenes, they were used as b-roll in the making-of documentary.

the one I remember is that the opening scene apparently went on even longer, with dialogue between the Engineers, but the "extended" version just showed that there was more than one of them.
>>
>>83328180
>after landing it perfectly fine
there is no such scene
>>
>>83312587
>advanced ancient alien race
How do you know this was the Engineer homeworld? Maybe this was another seeded planet like Earth? It looks like it was, about 1000 years in technology behind us. Looks like the Roman Empire.
>>
>>83335502

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5j1Y8EGWnc
>>
>>83335502
It's been a while since I've seen it, but basically he just got really mad because Weyland was a cocky asshole. You can find the scene on youtube easily enough, though.
>>
>>83335569
>Looks like the Roman Empire.

looks like i missed the history lesson about roman hovering ship thingys
>>
>>83313617
It looked like he had killed and dissected her.
>>
>>83335626
WE
>>
>>83313269
He's literally a confused robot pissed off at the world you fool. While he had some emotions, he didn't have all of them. He lacked empathy. He said he respected and cared for Shaw. Maybe his fucked up way of showing gratitude was to kill her, experiment on her, and pass her genetic code down through the Xenomorph.

Yall saw the movie right? They released the black goo onto the planet which killed everyone including the animals. There was nothing on the planet to eat except the wheat which Shaw probably planted. That wouldn't be enough food to hold her over. With no way off and very little food over the course of 10 years, he probably gave her a mercy kill.
>>
>>83335585

Was the rest of the movie like this? Holy shit everything about this is horrible, the cuts. The lack of depth to the scenery, actors don't know how to swing a fucking gun to gut punch them. The pacing is painfully incoherent.
>>
>>83335626
The real engineers could have left that as a landing platform. Maybe stayed in contact with this civilization instead of Earth. You saw them worshipping the platform and saw a ship return and thought maybe these are the Engineers coming back.

Or who knows maybe it was an outlast Engineer society? Like their version of hippies or whatever the fuck.
>>
File: big if true.jpg (52KB, 673x172px) Image search: [Google]
big if true.jpg
52KB, 673x172px
>>83335765

it's unfinished, which is why the color grading keeps changing and the studio lights are visible in at least one shot because they didn't CG the rest of the set.
>>
>>83335765
Yes, the rest of the movie is like this. The movie starts of very fast paced and opens with a death, then it slows down a little bit again until they land on the engineer planet, then its just punch after punch. Two hours fly by pretty fast.
>>
>>83332011
this is BULLSHIT. FUCK RIDLEY
>>
>>83335873
Wait, Michael Fassbender constantly groped her on the set of Prometheus and that's why she's not in the sequel? What the fuck.
>>
>>83335921
>Two hours fly by pretty fast.

I don't even know if this is an achievement considering a good movie feels like it lasts forever and is only 90 minutes.
>>
ok guys Hear me out
What if...

Hey guise come back and hear me out

ok what if...

hey guise ... what if

the engineers are divided in caste; the warrior (pilot) the monks (which got bombed) the thinkers (which are not around)
this dont solve all the plotholes tho.
>>
>>83334260
You really think fans will get what they want out of Ridley Scott? These 3 Alien movies is his personal last trolling to humanity before he dies.
>>
File: 2719627764177618.jpg (54KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
2719627764177618.jpg
54KB, 800x400px
>>83336106
It would make sense for them to have a warrior caste. The Engineer that kills Weyland looks extremely different from the one at the start of the film, like he's actually been merged with his suit.

And the people David kills in Covenant don't look anything like either Engineer. I'm guessing they're probably some shitty backward off-shoot of the species, like the Engineer equivalent of negros.
>>
File: 1417625447989.jpg (47KB, 605x806px) Image search: [Google]
1417625447989.jpg
47KB, 605x806px
>>83336295
>the Engineer equivalent of negros.
>>
>>83336295
My guess is that they didn't want to spend the money on special effects to make them all look like that
>>
File: rich_joke_2.jpg (41KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
rich_joke_2.jpg
41KB, 380x380px
>>83335721
>>83335626
>>
>>83331735
That's a deacon in the murial, it's a warning to the engineers working in that lab not to get infected, as they know what happens
>>
>>83335585
How did he suddenly master the English language tho?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170521-112543.jpg (249KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170521-112543.jpg
249KB, 1440x810px
>>83329233
>>83329305
>>
>giant ship hovering over a primitive city
>no advanced technology found in the city
>no service facilities for the big ship
>no kind of docking area for the big ship
>no ship-building facilities for the big ship
>no kind of industrial infrastructure to indicate such a ship can be built, maintained or interacted with
>huge ship isn't seen afterwards

Why even put that ship there in the shots then?
>>
File: Alien Mural.jpg (211KB, 1600x960px) Image search: [Google]
Alien Mural.jpg
211KB, 1600x960px
>>83337000
Well I'll be goddamned, you're right.

That ALMOST makes David creating the xenos lore-friendly. Still doesn't explain how, if David created the eggs, they ended up on a crashed Engineer ship out in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
>>83337344
>huge ship isn't seen afterwards
I didn't even think about that one. Where did the giant floating thing go? Did it just magically fly off by itself? It obviously didn't fall back down onto the courtyard.
>>
>>83337383
>if David created the eggs

In the novelization he finds an egg and learns to make them.
>>
>>83337383
Shit. It's fucking over boys.

Couldn't that be the neomorph though?
>>
>>83337547
Yes, but the novelization isn't canon since Scott directly stated in interviews that David creates the xenos, not the Engineers. They're not an extinct species that he brings back Jurassic Park style.

>>83337617
Neomorphs still have a rounded head, and they're a result of the fungus goo. That shit wasn't around on the planet Shaw landed on.
>>
>>83337617
No, it's the deacon. That site was a huge lab for researching the black goo, the direct result of an engineer being infected is the deacon. From my understanding just like with a human, if an engineer gets infected a huge squid/facehugger is born, if this squidhugger infects an engineer a deacon is born. (I assume the same if it infected a human).
>>
>>83312655
I think thats what they planned to do but then had no idea what could happen so just scrapped it
>>
>>83338047
I haven't seen covenant yet but is it not the case that David simply refined this process? (Reducing size of squid/facehugger by creating an egg from shaws body parts and growing it inside that?) And further manipulation resulting in the xeno? The demo basically being a modified deacon?

From what I understand the neomorph is the separate result of it happening naturally on that paticular planet, black goo mutated the local fungus and the spores then infected people and the neomorph was the result? Much like the deacon was the result of local worm being mutated and then infecting people on the other planet?
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.