[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's he the god of? Also, American Gods general I guess.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 397
Thread images: 37

File: promo317324438.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
promo317324438.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
what's he the god of?

Also, American Gods general I guess.
>>
>>83297337
Oh boy, leave your own thread right now, because once you get spoiled what is he the god of, there'll be no coming back.

No, seriously, don't read this, nigga:
He's the trickster god of lies, mischief and fire. It's a two-man con.
>>
>>83297535
Man that's low key
>>
>>83297337
He's basically illuminati. Or a secret government agency that knows everything about everyone. He later turns out to be something more, but i'm not sure if they'll get to it.
>>
>>83297337
Fuck, I liked that guy. He made a pretty good display of power.
>>
File: b o n e r.jpg (21KB, 672x434px) Image search: [Google]
b o n e r.jpg
21KB, 672x434px
>>83297337
>Gillian Anderson in this episode

hmmmmmmmmmm
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (453KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
453KB, 2560x1440px
>>83297337
How could he not have accepted an apology from a face like this?
>>
>>83297567
I wonder if they're ever going to use that name in the show. I mean "low key" doesn't look that similiar to "loki" in writing, but speaking it out loud will make it painfully obvious
>>
More Mad Sweeney. Give me 60 motherfucking minutes of Mad Sweeney. Maybe he opens a bar and funny shit ensues. Maybe he goes back to Ireland and gets a new lucky coin by fighting people. Maybe he fucks zombie wife and while they're fucking he reaches into her chest and steals the coin back. Maybe he fights a bunch of much smaller leprechauns at once and smashes them into rocks and shit like that. Maybe after he takes all the leprechauns lucky coins he comes back and beats up all the gods. Just give it a thought.
>>
would you a qt cold smelly zombie girl /tv/?
>>
How does Crispin Glover still get work after what he said about Spielberg/Judaism?
>>
>>83297862
I think he will die soon-ish. I havent read the book so its just a guess.
>>
>>83297908
Do you think Shadow would've started her heart again with his sbc?
>>
>>83297862
Mad Sweeney is literally the best thing about the series. He and Laura's banter was the greatest thing all season. Her annoying way of talking dismissively and his desperate, "Give me back my coin!" She could have ripped him in half if she wanted and that made it all the more humorous. And then she plays "dead" When the cops comes in and he's all, "You're an awful dead wife, You're an awful dead wife!"
>>
>>83297919

>after what he said about Spielberg/Judaism?

Can you give us the basic gestalt??
>>
isnt crispin glover 53? what the fuck.
>>
>>83297919

because he's BASED AS FUCK
>>
>>83297337
>that hair
>that jawline
>still look goofy as fuck
How?
>>
>>83298031
Whack don't crack.
>>
>>83298005
From his essay "What is it?":

>Does Steven Spielberg focus much of his fantasy life on young people? Did he portray children wallowing in sewers filled with fecal matter in Schindler’s List? Did he use children to finger paint an adult in Hook? Does he collect the illustrations of Norman Rockwell, such as the one showing a young boy in his underwear examined by a doctor? Are the inclinations of Steven Spielberg above suspicion by the media-fed culture? Was Steven Spielberg very friendly with Michael Jackson? Wasn’t Michael Jackson supposed to play Peter Pan in Steven Spielberg’s version of the story? Now that Michael Jackson is no longer held in favor by the mass media, does Spielberg associate with him? Do Michael Jackson and Steven Spielberg share similar opinions about the sexuality of young boys?

>Does The Talmud speak of the superiority of the Jews and the inferiority of other cultures and beliefs? Does Steven Spielberg reflect this religious imperative? Is Steve Spielberg neurotic? Is this belief hidden and suppressed?

>Does Steven Spielberg take risks, or does he simulate the idea of taking risks? What risk was involved in making Saving Private Ryan or Schindler’s List, or adopting a black child? Was there any risk at all? Would Steven Spielberg have adopted that same child in the Deep South of the 1950s where there would have been risk of being called a “nigger lover”? Were the adoption of a black child and the subject matter of his movies actually business decisions for which he knew he would be congratulated?

>Would the culture benefit from Steven Spielberg’s murder, or would it be lessened by making him a martyr? Or would people then begin to realize their lives had become less banal and more interesting due to his departure?
>>
>>83298524

wtf I love Crispin Glover now
>>
File: AGods105kiss1.webm (937KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
AGods105kiss1.webm
937KB, 700x394px
>>83297699
>>
File: hmm.jpg (26KB, 283x314px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
26KB, 283x314px
>>83298524
really made me think
>>
>>83297337
Capitalism, CIA, Black ops, spooks, NSA, Illuminati, etc...
>>
File: Tommy-Wiseau-3.jpg (544KB, 1982x1486px) Image search: [Google]
Tommy-Wiseau-3.jpg
544KB, 1982x1486px
>>83297337
More importantly...
What's HE the god of?
>>
>>83298524
Pizzagate is real
>>
will there be a god of memes?
>>
Shouldn't the technology nu-male god be way, way stronger than he's portrayed?
>>
File: Lisa1.webm (158KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lisa1.webm
158KB, 640x360px
>>83298815
being teared apart
>>
>>83298988
Why? He's just the delivery system for Media really. She controls the narrative, he's just the back-end.
>>
>>83299037
i guess they're intertwined pretty closely, but I don't see why he shouldn't be stronger than her considering she needs him and he technically doesn't need her.
>>
>>83298988
hes a cocky young faggot
>>
>>83299037
If he was god of just internet it would be fine, but he's god of TECHNOLOGY
>>
>>83299131
Media existed probably ever since the printing press, slowly growing stronger through journalism. Or hell, in a way she was around since ancient Greek orators, just weak as fuck. Now she probably got a recent boost thanks to technology, but she still has been around longer and she is just using new technology to grow larger.

I think that technology "worship" is relatively new. This youtube/social media and even chans obsession for normies is pretty knew. Before that technology was still the domain of nerds/engineers. Anyone could watch TV 50 years ago, not many could build one. Now damn near anyone can put together a PC. This hipster apple worship and reliance on internet technology is pretty knew. for And I'm not sure people using facebook and twitter even falls under Technology Boy, that might be Mr. World too.

I guess look at this this way, who is more powerful? CNN, or that faggot Youtube guy Casey? Because Media is CNN and Technology Boy is a youtube celebrity at best.
>>
>>83299278
I know it's not really clear, but in the book he is more the god of internet/hacking/computers than all technology. I think his name comes from the fact that when we think of technology now things like smartphones and PC's are the first things that come to mind.
>>
>>83297982
Fuck man, i couldn't stop laughing.
you're a fucking asshole dead wife! YOU'RE A FUCKING ASSHOLE DEADWIFE! YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE DEAD WIFE!!!
>>
>>83299305
by that logic technology probably existed ever since fire, or the wheel, or sharpened rocks etc.
>>
>>83298145
he's got a squish mouth
>>
Can we just take a moment to appreciate how on point casting in this show is?

Because holy shit it has some amazing casting.
>>
>>83299424
Yea, but it wasn't worshiped as technology, and technology boy is not the god of all technology.

When the book was being written in the late 90's he was growing stronger because how everyone suddenly got access to shit. All of a sudden damn near everyone had a cell phone, console, pc, mp3 players, etc. So he got a massive boost, but he was still a fucking fat nerd mostly worshiped by nerds, slowly transforming into the modern normie numale that can't live without a smart phone. I guess the main change is that people started to gain access to and got overwhelmed by technological gadgets, worshiping tech for its own sake and waiting for the next new thing (like a new iPhone or PS3). Before that individual technological advancements were worshiped primary for what they brought/did individually, rather than cool technological gadgets. The rate of advancement and wide access is what is giving Technology boy such a sudden power/growth spurt.
>>
>>83299588

main guy is a complete dud though

literally all he can do is frown
>>
>>83299639
yes but my point is that media wasn't worshiped until the ideals of journalism and entertainment media became something, differing from media (be it books, newspapers or art) as a tool for communicating information.
>>
>>83299278

He's the god of our current idea of technology i.e. the Internet, computers, etc. He was minor in comparison to the gods of automobiles in power, but he had a hell of a reach.
>>
>>83299730
desu even that is more emotion that shadow showed in the book
>>
>>83299767
I know, which is why she was probably pretty weak if she "existed" at all. I think she does say that she has been around since 1930's, which would have been when the radio was relatively common across America and probably when she would have "grown" significantly.
>>
God of Kino
>>
File: Bow Down.jpg (19KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
Bow Down.jpg
19KB, 300x279px
>>83299894
You rang?
>>
>>83299887
also keep in mind that every country/population/culture gets their own version of gods, so american media can only be as old as america etc.
>>
>>83298524
/our guy/
>>
>>83299767
No she first gained power when people began sacrificing time, everyone sitting together as a family listening to radio then with TV she grew even more, finally handheld portable TVs and radios, people sacrificing more and more of their time and thought to worship the silver screen
>>
>>83299424
You're missing the point, the show is about american gods, things that the american nation believes in.
>>
>>83299424
Gods of fire, gods of speed, gods of 'the city' mostly fire gods would have covered the tech angle for most of human existence
>>
Shouldn't chink or pooinloo gods be absolutely dominating the universe in this series considering how many believers there are there?

Just imagine, in a universe where the more people believe in a god the more powerful it becomes, 1 billion pajeets believing wholeheartedly in a toilet witch
>>
>>83298524

When I search for "What is it?" all I find is some 2005 film Glover did, not an essay
>>
>>83300189
Chink gods are powerful in chink countries. In the show's lore America has their own versions of all the gods.
>>
>tfw the only known structural manifestations of czernobog are in your area.
>>
>>83300189
Yea, the main religion gods are nice and comfortable. Jesus for example doesn't give a fuck because he has plenty of followers. The Indian pantheon is probably the same, but religion in China is kind of weird. Whatever gods they believe there are probably doing well enough, but the country isn't exactly unified when it comes to religion.
>>
>>83300189
Yes their very strong, Christianity e.g. Jesus, in all its many denominations is also very strong, but its country or area specific, Indian Kali would be strong as you can get, Brazilian Kali? Not so much
>>
File: file.png (144KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
144KB, 410x410px
>>83298943
He's too powerful to be contained.
>>
>>83300320
Kek would work for Tech Boy or be Tech Boy
>>
>>83300360
>He doesn't know it's spreading into real life now
>He doesn't know memes are much older than what you think
>>
>>83298815
The Imperium.
>>
>>83297337
I think he can control rats
>>
>girlfriend comes back alive
>is cold as ice
>having a living cold fleshlight
>>
>tfw BBC owns the rights to Anansi Boys

Forest Whitaker would have been fire as Fat Charlie. Orlando Jones is pretty good as Mr. Nancy tho.
>>
>>83300410
Nah you just don't get how this works
>>
>>83300230
>In the show's lore America has their own versions of all the gods.

fucking STUPID
>>
>>83297862
>Maybe he goes back to Ireland and gets a new lucky coin by fighting people

I don't want to spoil the book for you, but that's not how it works.
>>
>>83301256
Every country has their own gods, america just had to import them
>>
>>83299381
Mad Sweeney needs his own show. Fuck everyone else.
>>
>>83301304
>Sweeney fighting round the world
Fund it
>>
>>83301256
Not really. Different interpretations are incredibly common.
>>
>>83301338
>>83301438
as I said, it's just a retarded way for Gaiman to have characters die "but not really ;))"

its a cop out
>>
>>83301462
No its not, thats a major theme and let's him have gods that should be powerful AF but arnt because in America no one gives a shit, gaiman is happy to ressurect any character he likes without any setup nessesary its not about having a safety net, the different 'versions' are completely different people its more like they've got a long lost twin out their, not that theirs multiple clones
>>
>>83301462
It isn't though, because you don't even realize that until the end of the book. The whole book, you're lead to believe that these gods are the same ones present worldwide, so it comes as a bit of a shock to find out that, no, their existence is not only linked to belief, but to locality.

It's like how Japan has their own version of Spiderman, and he's so wildly different, he may as well not be called Spiderman.
>>
>>83301607
HE HAS A GIANT ROBOT!
>>
>>83298145
Nose, lips and chin.
>>
>>83301774
Is it a spider robot?
>>
>>83301878
Nah, just a power ranger style robot
>>
Dude in the black 3-piece is the 'man'. The god of the system, globalization, nation-states, institutional power, trade whatever makes the world go round.

The media is how ideas are spread around so she probably got her modern start thanks to guttenberg but got really powerful during the 1930 thanks to the radio. I think that's why she refered to WW2, she probably was in her puberty stage and barely transitioning into adulthood.

The teenager is recent in this form. I would say his ascent dates back to the effective use of the transistor and their mass-spread during the PC era. (DEC v IBM war). Although he is worshipped everywhere, in industrialized society technology is just a slave to the financial system and the political economy.

That last episode was fantastic.
Odin is also the god of victory I would hesitate before engaging in an all out war against the god of winning lol.
>>
>>83301956
Globalization god isn't even a real American God you dunce.
>>
>>83298524
this was a great read
>>
>>83301956
Good read.
>>
>>83298524
>Would Steven Spielberg have adopted that same child in the Deep South of the 1950s where there would have been risk of being called a “nigger lover”? Were the adoption of a black child and the subject matter of his movies actually business decisions for which he knew he would be congratulated?

70% of people have children just because "it's the right thing to do"
>>
>>83301099
Nah Kek is more like an old god that is tearing about the new gods from the inside.
>>
>>83298943
>>83300320
Since they are plenty of /pol/tards who unironically believe in meme magic and semi-ironically believe in Kek, Kek should actually exist according to the lore of American Gods.
>>
>>83297337
The New Gods consist of Media, Mr. World (globalization), and Technical boy.

So far I've thought the casting of the show has been spot on perfect. I had my doubts about a black Shadow Moon (the book implies American Indian), but he slays it in that role. As do Wednesday, Chernobog, Mad Sweeny, and all the others.

The revision of technical boy is perfect. When the book was written technical boy WOULD have been a fat angsty neckbeard as depicted. But in this generation of nu-male vaping millenials, technical boy fits perfect. Particularly with his glitzy hiphop club kid look.

I love Gillian as media and so far she slays it in all her shape shifting roles. You really believe she's Lucy, or Marilyn Monroe, she even slayed it playing David fucking Bowie.

But Crispin Glover as Mr World is an odd fit. It's a total re-envisioning of the dominant commanding business mogal aristocrat that he was written as. Crispin Glover slays it as an introverted squirrely weirdo, but I don't know if he can pull off a commanding role. And so far it's just strange. But I thought technical boy was an odd fit too, but I grew to really like him in that role.
>>
>>83301925
Goddamn japs
>>
>>83302309
Apparently Neil Gaiman always had The Rock in mind for Shadow Moon, but he became too big by the time it was finally cast.
And yeah, Mr Wednesday couldn't possibly be better.
>>
>>83302120
Or he's just the new god of mischief with delusions or grandeur, he'd be good freinds with Pan and Loki
>>
File: 43.jpg (54KB, 508x512px) Image search: [Google]
43.jpg
54KB, 508x512px
>>83302309
>slays
>slayed
>>
>>83302309
I find it really weird that there's only two real American gods.
>>
>>83302385
It depends if you want to take the whole mythology of him literally being kek or not, considering people treat him as, he'd be that god but having a resurgence.
>>
>>83302309
>I had my doubts about a black Shadow Moon (the book implies American Indian)

Ya know, I read American Gods years ago, and now I feel like I didn't pay enough attention at the time since I always imagined Shadow as white.
>>
>>83302527
The central premise of the book is that they are all American Gods (tm)
>>
>>83302566
or he's a new god whos taken over from an old one, Kek is a usurper, I changed my mind, Loki and Pan would fucking hate him
>>
>>83302577
Well, the book does say he's dark ish with native American features. And Gaiman himself had said that when he was writing the book, he'd imagined him looking like Dwayne Johnson.

But as part of the Norse/Germanic pantheon (*spoiler* Shadow Moon is Baldur, Norse god of heroes), Shadow Moon being white makes the most sense with the story.

All the other gods of various cultures are always depicted as that culture's race. Well, one other exception, the Egyptian gods are black.... and the ancient Egyptians are far closer genetically to modern day Arabs, but this show does frequently shill for liberal causes. I love it anyway, there's many great things going for it. But the BLM speech and graphic gay sex scene were not needed.
>>
File: 1488599952617.jpg (112KB, 600x381px) Image search: [Google]
1488599952617.jpg
112KB, 600x381px
>>83302309
>slays

are you one of those YASS QUEEN faggots?

I think it may be time for you to go back.
>>
>>83302742
I dunno I like the idea of it literally being Kek, having wasted away in one of those places in America that randomly has egyptian names, and now finally is being imbued with all of this meme magic.
>>
>>83302775
>graphic gay sex scene
fug i forgot about that
what's going to happen with the djinn and the gay arab salesman?
>>
>>83302775
>Shadow is literally Bald

BRAVO
>>
>>83302871
it's like pottery
>>
>>83299305
More people watch Casey than CNN and CNN regularly states speculation as fact
>>
>>83302855
Nothing, it's just a one-off scene in the book
>>
>>83302855
nothing they are completely irrelevant to the plot and never come back, really
>>
>>83302871
if Shadow 'shining like the sun' for laura didn't give it away then nothing short of flatout saying it would have
>>
>>83302775
>Well, the book does say he's dark ish with native American features.

That's what I meant, I didn't notice that description of him in the book at all. So yeah, I definitely need to reread it at some point cause evidently there's a lot I skimmed over.
>>
>>83302931
>>83302935
wut
Seriously? There wasn't even any tangential plot relevance?
>>
>>83302897
>More people watch Casey than CNN
I don't know who the fuck you are casey, but you are one delusional little e-celeb
>>
>>83302981
Nope, it's literally just there to show that other beings besides gods (such as genies) can also come to America, and so Neil Gaiman could insert a gay sex scene
>>
>>83302981
only to show how various gods are bailing on the war, basically trying to get the fuck out, yea no relevance at all apart from that, In the book its also made clear that the Jinn went back to the middle east, I'm not sure they even showed that in the show, so its doubly worthless
>>
>>83298524
This guy, I like him. (I did before anyway)
>>
>>83303061
>>83303075
I was expecting more from the salesman since they showed him driving off in the djinn's taxi the next day, I thought I'd missed something and he'd stolen the djinn's power or something through the power of bumsex
>>
>>83297337
>10 minute scene of some nigger bix nooding about black lives matter on a slave ship
>10 minute muslim fag sex scene
>sheboon with a vagina that eats WHITE MALES for some reason
>coalburning scenes galore

This is literally the most degenerate trash on television. Saged and hidden.
>>
>>83303139
nope just took his job, and the jinn took his flight back home, thats it
>>
>>83299730
That's literally his character. Him pulling over and screaming is about the most emotion he ever shows in the book. His anger might be the only emotion he shows consistently throughout both
>>
>>83303142
and another tripfag permanently filtered
>>
File: tvinanut.png (60KB, 772x198px) Image search: [Google]
tvinanut.png
60KB, 772x198px
>>83303142
>>
>>83301304
How does it work?
>>
>>83302309
>You really believe she's Lucy, or Marilyn Monroe, she even slayed it playing David fucking Bowie.
lolno
>>
>>83303388
No next ep should cover that
>A Prayer for Mad Sweeney
>>
>>83297337
Isn't that the autistic hair guy from Charlie's Anngels? Cool.
>>
>>83303461
He's dead. isn't he?
>>
>>83303490
That's McFly you fucking slacker
>>
>>83303498
you'll see, even if he is tho keep in mind gods don't 'die' like people do
>>
>>83297337
Apparently his introduction scene was meant to evoke how weird Crispin Glover was when they met him in person for the first time.

He has got to be a really strange man
>>
>>83297337
>Americans are so full of themselves they have to make all gods from America

HAHAHAHA
>>
>>83302843
yea it does work, then he pulled some ploy early 2008-09 and started gaining power again
>>
>>83303685
So did people just glaze over that Jesus conversation and what it implied?
>>
>>83303685
It's written by a Brit. The story is about immigrants taking their culture and belief systems to the new world.
>>
>>83303805
>>83303872
don't respond to bait
>>
>>83303805
I suspect this anon >>83303685 hasn't actually watched the show
>>
>>83300320
Technical boy has anon henchmen
>>
>>83297951
In the book he gets drunk and commits suicide after the halfway point or o
>>
>>83303805
>>83303872
>>83303887
>>83303886

I was only messing with you a bit. I'm enjoying the show a lot so far.
Some sweet creativity going on. just finigshed watching episode 5.
>>
>>83304020
>gets drunk
no anon heroin it was heroin
>>
>>83303805
mexico is super christian, mexican jesus immigrated anyway, wtf did they mean by this?
>>
>>83297831
check imdb of the pilot. or at least the credits of it.
>>
>>83304107
That people bring their gods with them when they immigrate
>>
So what happens if a god dies? Like a popular, well-worshipped one like one of the new gods. I imagine gods no one cares about anymore like Czernobog would stay dead but what if someone kills Media or Technical Boy when millions are still sacrificing their attention to them?
>>
>>83304224
but their american now couldn't they have just worshiped american jesus?
>>
>>83304293
good question, you'll find out, even the old 'weak' gods have more staying power then you give them credit for
>>
>>83304293
probably just be reborn in a new form or some shit
>>
File: willy.jpg (26KB, 450x301px) Image search: [Google]
willy.jpg
26KB, 450x301px
>>83297337
He is the god of chocolate
>>
How's it holding up compared to the book? Should i wait til it finishes before reading it?
>>
File: americangodsintro.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
americangodsintro.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
8 episodes is far too few. but at least i'll start the book sooner rather than later.
>>
>>83304457
its pretty damn close, but seeing as their stretching one book over 3 seasons you might as well read it, it'll be at least 3 years before the conclusion
>>
>there are only two actually american gods

bravo
>>
>>83304605
really theirs only one, America, and yes he's shown up in the show, wanna guess who it is?
>>
>>83304605
Yeah where's our guy Xenu
>>
>>83304047
Sorry, my bad. I recall there was cheap dime store hooch though too.
>>
>>83304522
View count's already halved since the first episode. It won't be airing that long.
>>
>>83304924
its already renewed for a second season, also most people I know are only starting to watch it now, nightly rating are less relevant then ever
>>
>>83304646
who?
>>
So at what point do you think they are going to end season 1? Are we going to make it to House on The Rock, or will it end before then?
>>
>>83305070
America as in the God, you saw him first ep
>>
>>83304984
Post episode streaming matters, yes. But isn't a huge dropoff of show viewership kind of the norm? As long as it remains above a certain threshold we aren't privy to it probably is fine.
>>
>>83305134
House on the Rock, although last ep is titled 'come to jesus' so idk what the fuck thats referring too, doesn't match anything in the book
>>
File: Jfjjfif.jpg (72KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Jfjjfif.jpg
72KB, 640x360px
>>83304984
>tfw i've been reading the /tv/gens but haven't watched past ep 1

I have no self control
>>
>>83305264
Maybe Jesus actually shows up in a plot relevant way. But is it Mexican or White or Black Jesus?
>>
>>83305250
yep, consistent viewership is what they want, a spike for the first and last ep is normal
>>
It's been a long ass time but I thought in the books Mr. World and the other Men in Black were just New God enforcers and grunt men and that Technical boy was the head hancho of the New Gods that all the other ones despised but went along ith because of his sheer power
>>
>>83300230
>In the show's lore America has their own versions of all the gods.

No, gods are everywhere all the time, so Odin can be in American as well as Europe or wherever his believers happen to be.

And Media would be distinctly American in nature, as we dominate global media.
>>
>>83305264
>>83305297
We've yet to see Kristin Chenoweth's Easter and she's tied to Jesus, so perhaps that's the finale.

Also, Fuller and Gaiman have said that the finale will have some new stuff in it special for the TV series and not necessarily the book at that point.
>>
>>83305297
Well they already casted a white Jesus, he'll probably show up when they meet Easter
>>
Why was Technical Boy so freaked out during the truce at the center of America? Never got that part of the book.
>>
>>83305207
yeah, i meant who was it?
>>
>>83305417
because he's a keyboard warrior, when it comes to literally getting his hands dirty and going into a fight like most keyboard warriors he is reveled to be a lil bitch
>>
>>83305379
other way around, Tech boy and the others like Mr Town are the enforcers, Mr World is in-charge he's just low key about it
>>
>>83305395
no he cant, their are different versions of the gods in different places, thats why american jesus is near all-powerful but afgani jesus can't even get a lift
>>
>>83305481
>just low key about it

yea that makes sense, those with real power rarely ever flaunt it or reveal themselves unnecessarily

>low key
>>
>>83305426
yea I know, ask yourself what would 'America' be? would it even be represented as human?
>>
>>83298524
>Would Steven Spielberg have adopted that same child in the Deep South of the 1950s where there would have been risk of being called a “nigger lover”?

No because he was in middleschool you fucking retard.
>>
>>83305591
I can't remember much of ep1, what was it the Statue of Liberty or something?
>>
>>83305692
Its the fucking buffalo. That is the literal god of the land that is America

It may not represent the character of the people, but it is the sea to shining sea part
>>
File: 11554214.jpg (23KB, 469x371px) Image search: [Google]
11554214.jpg
23KB, 469x371px
>>83305546

No, each god is a single entity, there is no “American Jesus” and “Afghani Jesus” and such, the only difference is the power of their respective avatars in particular locations.

Thus the Jesus avatar in Mexico and Poland would be exceptionally powerful, while the Jesus avatar in Saudi Arabia would be a pip-squeak.
>>
Someone explain Nunyunnini scene to me
>>
>>83304326
no because the mexicans believe in mexican jesus, they arent going to believe in white jesus just because they moved to the US.
>>
>>83305986
gods can wither away and be forgotten
>>
>>83305986
right so Wed. a couple weeks back said he was only really afraid of being forgotten

Nunyunnini was an old god that eventually got forgotten, and because he got forgotten he ceased to exist, illustrating what happens when a god gets truly forgotten
>>
>>83297337

Globalization.
>>
>>83305913
nope, they are not a singular entity at all sorry your head-canon is wrong, Odin confirms this
>>
>>83305395
the books makes is much more clear, but the gods are more like tulpas, when people moved to america they didnt BRING their god with them, they recreated their god in a totally new form. the odin in american is an entirely separate entity from the one in europe, same for anansi. the american anansi was created on that ship because of that guy praying to him so desperately.
>>
>>83306093
The coming to America scene this week makes a lot more sense in that context
>>
>>83305986
Nunyunnini business.
>>
>>83303388
Essentially, the gods we see are pretty much exclusive to America.

The gods don't really interact with their foreign counterparts, and some might not even be aware of them. They are simply manifestations of human thought and devotion.
>>
File: american-gods-Odin.jpg (106KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
american-gods-Odin.jpg
106KB, 970x545px
>>83306084
>>83306093

I read the book (several years back) and the nature of the various gods overseas is not addressed but the fact is (as far as "facts" go with gods...) that each god is a single entity and what we're seeing in America, is simply the American avatar of Odin or whoever.
>>
>>83306093
The fucking origin scene for that goblin or whatever it is is nightmare fuel.
>>
File: mon visage quand.jpg (154KB, 1449x860px) Image search: [Google]
mon visage quand.jpg
154KB, 1449x860px
>>83306184
oh, you!
>>
>>83303142
>TrumpReich2016
1/10
>>
>>83306160
even in the first episode, it shows that odin did not come until the men got desperate and put all their faith that he would "see" them and help them if they shed blood. it wasn't until then that that version of odin was created. that slave on the ship created anansi and the first thing anansi does is get them all riled up (more belief in him, more power) and kill themselves in his name, for that extra kick toward existence.
>>
>>83306236
they arent one entity but they share a vague awareness of their other versions. they know whats going on with their other version but they dont have a hive mind controlling all of them. they are separate entities, with separate motives and separate power levels due to the amount of belief in them where they are.
>>
>>83306236
this >>83306370
>>
So why do trees keep attacking Shadow?
>>
What's with the constant David Bowie lyrics
>>
>>83306490
their racist
>>
>>83306490
It's Mr. Wood, one of the Spooks, Fuller just confirmed it on twitter
>>
>>83306498
media was using bowie to represent herself, hence the quotes. i thought it was pretty funny how they managed to use them in context.
>>
>>83306600
but he gets attacked by trees in his vision in Episode 1 too.
>>
File: 1492576475108.png (8KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
1492576475108.png
8KB, 251x201px
is kek a new god or an old god
>>
>>83306692
Old discarded god making a big play on the God of Memes.
>>
>>83306370
>>83306093
Correct
>>
>>83306692
kek is a god who bought into mr. worlds rebranding offer.
>>
this guy looks like a Rammstein band member
>>
link to new ep?
>>
>>83305986
It represents how a god was brought from Asia but in the end didn't do shit so he was abandoned and died.
>>
>>83306982
American.Gods.S01E05.720p.WEBRip.X264-DEFLATE
>>
There are different versions of Jesus because a lot of different people have a different idea about him. There's black Jesus, Mexican Jesus, white Jesus etc
>>
>>83307047
doesn't work like that
>>
>>83307119
it does, actually, in the book/show's universe. are you the same fag saying all the gods are omnipresent? you've already been btfo by people who actually paid attention when they read the book and caught the clues given in the show so far. just stop.
>>
>>83307197
No, I'm not, I'm anonymous. if that's the case then Gayman is a hack
>>
>>83307255
Explain your reasoning for him being a hack due to it working that way. I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts.
>>
>>83297337
he's a chicken
>>
File: disnigga.jpg (74KB, 602x629px) Image search: [Google]
disnigga.jpg
74KB, 602x629px
>>83307255
> guy makes up his own rules for a universe he created in his book that says gods are just tulpas born from peoples' beliefs
> is a hack because that doesnt fit anons head-canon/personal beliefs about gods
>>
>>83307330
because that could open the gates for many instances of a god, in a fucking religion where there's only one god...
>>
>>83303142
Cool false flag
>>
>>83307367
no, it's a hack because it's a shit decision inside his own universe
>>
>>83307373
...yes and? That's exactly what happens when multiple cultures follow one specific god figure like Jesus.

Do you have a better solution for it accounting all the different interpretations of each group of followers?
>>
>>83307466
The Adversary, Satan.
>>
>>83307373
but the religion isnt real, its their belief in the god that makes them exist. and people in one country have slightly different beliefs about a god than they do in other countries. no different than people speaking the same language but depending in where they live it sounds different and they use different slang (australia vs. england vs. ireland vs. the US for example)

its the same language but distinctly different.

they are the "same" god, but distinctly different.
>>
>>83307493
why are you watching a show based on gods and mythology when youre an insufferable christfag who can't comprehend different belief systems. even in christianity there are different types and if you asked someone who is a baptist what they think christ meant and someone who is a catholic what they think christ meant, you'll get similar but DIFFERENT answers. thus they believe in a different christ.
>>
>>83307466
they don't exist in the first place, that's why the decision of making it just one is better. Because if you do it the other way around you'd have to establish a rule for how many people believe certain things make that god exist. it's overcomplicating things.
>>83307500
again, it's the creative decision I don't agree with. He didn't have to go down that road and expand on that subject.
>>
What was the credits song
>>
>>83307562

He's probably just an idiot.
>>
>>83307563
also if you're making an universe where what people believe is real then it's all a mess. Because you end up with fucking demons, vampires, aliens and all kind of shit and not just gods. And then if you're not able to show the impact of that idea on your novel then it becomes just shit writing, in my opinion.
>>
>>83307373

So yeah, Japanese Jesus that didn't die on the cross, but got saved by Japanese friend taking his place on the cross and went to live, hae wife and Children in the glorious land of Nippon totally is the same as Catholic Jesus...

And ll the apocrypha across Europe is totally in line with the general centralized belief system too.
>>
>>83307563
He did, because it's the central idea of the book. The concept of immigrant gods and immigrant culture being their own distinct thing from the old world's. That's what the book is about.
>>
>>83307614
It only works for gods, or ideals that operate on the same level as gods by having that amount of devotion from a large portion of people.
>>
>>83307563
IT IS THE ENTIRE POINT AND CONCEPT OF THE BOOK AND SHOW

the ENTIRE premise is about gods who exist in america due to being believed into existence and how they are different versions of the gods from their origin countries. hence AMERICAN GODS
>>
Why wouldn't there be multiple interpretations of the same god in a country?

Are you telling me that French Canada has the same views of God as the rest?

And what happens when a country gets conquered and assimilated does that country's version of the gods die?
>>
>>83307614
>also if you're making an universe where what people believe is real

Just because some of it is doesn't mean all of it has. Not to mention the need for actual sacrifice, in one form or another, but that's beside the point.
>>
>>83307373
In the Bible there are other gods, false gods. Yahweh is the one true God. Other "gods" exist but are greater demons acting as false idols.
In the Old Testament there are a number of rules to prevent the (((Tribe))) from accidentally doing rituals and practices that'd power heathen gods
>>
>>83307665
But he didn't need to make that decision anon :^) He could've written a different book
>>
>>83307667
that version will always live as long as people who are aware of them are alive. they will be weak and shitty like those russian sisters, but still there.

the episode tonight showed an example of a god dying because no one was left who believed in them
>>
>>83307667

There may be! The book focused on gods who never had much of a reach in the United States anyway. How many followers of the Norse pantheon have there ever been in the continental United States?

The book focused more on smaller gods and the struggle born from the waning belief in them. The Abrahamic God if it was brought into existence by the same rules would not bother getting involved with this small fry shit.

The god probably dies, gets supplanted by a younger version of it, wallows in obscurity, or changes with the new belief system.
>>
>>83307667
Not enough belief for instnace , their is probably a Catholic Jesus in Italy, their may also be a prodistant one but he'd be weak AF by comparison cause of so few followers in Italy, on the other hand in england this situation is probably reversed
>>
>>83307724
You are genuinely an idiot and if you really are christian your an embarrassment to all of us, stop
>>
>>83307627
okay, and it's a shitty decision to say there are several personifications of the same god. You could leave it out and the novel would work just fine and you wouldn't open it to more questions.
>>83307665
What? you're sayig there's a different Odin in Europe, or media, or Mr World? The gods were able to go to america when they took them there. they didn't magically appear as a version of the same european god, at least that's what I understand so far from the show. if it's not like that then I will say it again, it's an awful creative decision
.>>83307667
it's retarded, I know

this is what I'm talking about when I say Gaiman overcomplicated it y making it that way, if he really did, I haven't read the novel.
>>
>>83307807
yes, there is a different odin in europe. the show made it blatantly obvious that the gods shown were created in america by the people who moved there. the book proves it by having a scene with the european odin. even in the show mr wednesday outright talks about all the different jesus' there are.

it is not an awful creative decision when it is the whole concept the book and show are based on.

>hasnt read the book
you have no leg to stand on to argue with.
>>
>>83307807
Yes their is a different Odin's in Norway and another one in Germany called Wotan and a bunch more, whereever people went with belief, its pretty funny how much trouble your having with this concept, I was raised hardcore Catholic and its not a tough or 'stupid' concept to get
>>
>>83307891
>>83307898
HAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT THAT'S LAUGHABLE!!! Thank fuck I dropped Sandman after the Devil leaves hell. I bet it sucked big time after that.. Gaiman is a hack.
>>
>>83307891
>you have no leg to stand on to argue with.
this is fucking /tv/. Fuck off to lit/ if you want to discuss the book
>>
>>83307807

Gaiman wrote the book he wrote.

The scope of the book didn't concern itself with the metaphysical underpinnings of most of this because it was aiming to tell a story about gods in America. It was not a taxonomy on godhood because the mystery behind a lot of this made the book more compelling. Moby Dick wasn't a better book for the chapters devoted to cetology.
>>
>>83297337
>Ancient gods have a war with new meme gods
This is just taking ideas from SMT
>>
>>83307891
>>83307898

Wait, so who the fuck brought Odin to America? Europa was thoroughly christened by the time of the discovery of the new world. And in the show they say hes older then tech boy will ever be, but hes only like 3-400 years old.
>>
File: santa.jpg (276KB, 771x1067px) Image search: [Google]
santa.jpg
276KB, 771x1067px
>>83307807
it isnt a difficult concept what so ever, i dont get why you're having so much trouble with it. why is it so confusing to you? its not complicated. the different versions of the gods exist because of how different people interpreted them.

for example, depictions of santa in america tend to be different than depictions of santa in europe

pic related. its all santa. but they are different santas. in the book/world, each santa would have its own physical santa with a different personality and different ways of celebrating / giving presents.
>>
>>83307964
Cool bye forever
BTW never read mid summer nights dream, your tiny brain couldn't handle it
>>
>>83308001
Hurr durr reeeeaading, fuck off pleb you don't belong here
>>
>>83308050

Its even in the days, yo.

Wednesday

>The name is derived from Old English Wōdnesdæg and Middle English Wednesdei, "day of Woden", reflecting the pre-Christian religion practiced by the Anglo-Saxons.
>>
>>83308050
Opening scene of the show, fucks sake no-one pays attention
>>
>>83308050
did you not watch the first episode? the whole opening sequence explains it, and if you were aware of actual history and there is archaeological evidence that vikings landed on american LOOOONG before it was "discovered" you would have understood that the scene was showing those first vikings making it to america, having a real fucking hard time surviving / getting fucked over by the natives. they prayed to odin for help to get back home. their prayers and sacrifices gave birth to the american odin who helped them. they left, but american odin was left behind.
>>
>>83308060
I'm not, it's not confusing, it's a shitty idea. Period, and I have stated why. I understand it perfectly, it's not something about my brain like that other anon tried to say, it's about taste, I don't like it personally, period.

you fanboys are butthurt that your god Gayman made a decision which arises more questions and turns his book into secondary characters, clones of real gods go in an adventure to murrika and the new gods battle these nobodies when the old ones are in Europe and nothing happens LMAO
>>83308116
you're the one who's a pleb, faggot.
>>
>>83308176

No one here is claiming Gaiman is a god dude. Calm yourself.

There's always Real Housewives if you're looking for this sort of petty drama.
>>
>>83308176
they arent clones. the european ones arent any more real than the american ones.
>>
>>83307807
>You could leave it out and the novel would work just fine and you wouldn't open it to more questions.

No, it wouldn't, because then it would be a book about something else. The book isn't just generic modern fantasy, it's all meant to be an allegory, painting a picture for a certain way of looking at America. And the point it is making is how the beliefs different peoples took with them took on whole new forms and interacted in entirely new ways, creating new, "American" Gods, and that even these are pushed aside by the new "Gods" of technology, media, etc.
>>
>>83307562
>This much autism for something fleeting.

Jesus Christ is Lord.
>>
>>83308176
You obviously don't understand it, and you haven't read the book either. You also type like a retard.
>>
>>83308176
Stay butthurt pleb, you really are an idiot, go publish your own story about gods win all the fucking awards and then get back to us, until then I'll keep reading gaan and u keep being pleb
>>
>>83308126
Yeah i know that dude, but is that enough? People don't have to believe in gods just know a reference? So almost every god exist in America except those who weren't written down?

>>83308151

You're telling me those indian niggas started woshipping odin after the vikings left?
>>
>>83308309
no, he continued to exist, probably weak as shit, until more people from europe who knew of odin arrived and rekindled him
>>
>>83308309
Nope, he just hung out until more worshipers came, hence the line
>when the vikings arrived a hundred years later they found their god already waiting for them
>>
>>83308342
This. Later on we see a really in depth story of how something powerful like a god can be nurtured and grow in isolation for a long, long time.
>>
>>83308272
I did, just because you say obviously doesn't make it true. Believe me, I did, and IT'S A SHIT DECISION. Also this is /tv/
>>83308285
butthurt? you guys are the ones butthurt because you're trying to defend a shitty creative decision that overcomplicates everything and makes the characters look like secondary characters. Mr World and the others are fighting a stupid battle because in the end the old gods will still exist in other parts, hell, how can they die if people still believe in them?

you know, is there a different social media god in Russia if people use VK instead of Facebook? LMAO
>>
>>83299037
Its because he's the youngest of them all. He's still pretty powerful for his age. Remember when MR World told him the reason he should respect Wednesday is because he is very old.
>>
>>83302309
slay yourself
>>
So if deities in this series follow SMT rules does that mean Adolf Hitler, Ronald Mcdonald and the Flying Spaghetti Monster are gods?
>>
>>83308381
Why keep posting? For (you)s? Here's another one, now just stop your stupidity is killing my buzz
>>
>>83308309

I dont know, seems to be enough for him to be alive (maybe he is diying) and barely has any power, compared to the space bending media and Mr.World.

And you are getting the book version, maybe they change something or explain it in other way, try to read the book if you are interested.
>>
>>83308309
> People don't have to believe in gods just know a reference?

yes because whether you like it or not, or what to admit it or not, when you read or hear about a god, you come up with a vision of them in your mind and an opinion of them based on how your brain works due to the culture you were raised in. you may not BELIEVE in them, but you gave them life by acknowledging their existence/

this is why the black lady with the man eating vagina keeps hanging out at that museum. people walk in, see her statue, read about her a bit from the plaque, and therefore she exists still
>>
>>83297862
>Maybe he fights a bunch of much smaller leprechauns at once and smashes them into rocks and shit like that
>they're midgets in costumes
Fund it
>>
>>83308381
Explain to us how gods work in this book you've never read, and what Gaiman was trying to say about it, seeing that you "understand it perfectly."
>>
>>83308353
Sorry I must be dense as fuck, but vikings never colonized America after they got driven out, so what do they mean when more followers arrived?
>>
>>83308408
No.
>>
>>83308408
probably, they just arent relevant to the story so they arent brought up.

people believe in leprechauns, but leprechauns arent gods, yet there is one in the book/show. so you got to assume there is an elvis god wandering around because of the people who claim hes still alive. im sure there is a jersey devil, bloody mary, and boogeyman too.
>>
>>83308381
It's not a superhero comic about gods with different power levels battling it out. It's an allegory about America. The other gods don't matter because they are not relevant to America.
>>
>>83308408

Maybe, maybe they are a part of something bigger.

Roman had man rising to godhood, but they are not in the series, so we are not dealing wiht the consious idea of gods, but the unconsious one.

Dealing in the Psyche. (Psyche was a greek goddes).

Think about how we are still talking about gods everywhere, and those meanings change as well.
>>
>>83306370
> they are separate entities, with separate motives and separate power levels due to the amount of belief in them where they are.

What you’re calling separate entities are just multiple manifestations of the same god.

Of course the powerful avatar of Mexican Jesus for example, will be different then the weak avatar of Afghani Jesus but that’s just an aspect of the different believers and _their_ condition.

Otherwise we’ve have the ridiculous situation of American Odin suddenly turning into Canadian Odin once a believer drives across the border and why would gods give a shit about arbitrary human borders and limit their powers to those borders?
>>
>>83308408
wtf is SMT? no let me guess weeboo shit?
>>
>>83308507
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_colonization_of_North_America

i know its wikipedia but its the quickest explanation. the show is technically AMERICAN gods, not gods of the united states.

vikings colonized parts of the northern american continent for at least 500 years.
>>
>>83306654
Mistletoe hates Balder
>>
>>83308460
What are you talking about? this is getting pointless. I'm saing the way it works, said by bookfags, it's shit, and they keep defending it. I'm not saying it works one way or the other. I'm saying that if it works the way people say it works. with several instances of a god depending on the different believes people have about that same god, then it's a shit creative decision. I know it's a fantasy book, and there's no a rule about it, except from what the author says, but what he says can be questioned and criticized, and that is what I'm doing. it could even boil down to just taste. But you fuckeds are mad as fuck that I think it's a shit decision by Gaiman.
>>
>>83308572
no the canadian would create a brand new odin, or probably wouldn't since to bring a god into existence you need sacrifice and since when has a canadian sacrificed anything?
>>
>>83307197
>it does, actually, in the book/show's universe.

No it doesn't, as Gaiman doesn't go into what the gods are doing overseas, his story is just about their actions in America.
>>
File: Sin título.jpg (171KB, 1367x365px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.jpg
171KB, 1367x365px
>>83306370
>>
I find ironic that behind Mr World, who's basically the NWO god, stands chaos.

I guess that's the point.
>>
>>83308572
you havent read the book. stop trying to argue your point. the book states it plainly, different counties, different entities using the same name. they are not the same god, they know other versions of them exist, but they consider themselves their own being.
>>
>>83308637
fuck I forgot about that
>>
>>83308525
Well it seems that human focus leads to creation of deities even if there isn't an exact belief in them. All the new gods are conglomeration of the human "focus" rather than direct belief.

So basically there should be a lot more than technology/internet, media, globalization and whatever the spooks are supposed to be.
>>
>>83308644
>getting pointless
it was pintless from the moment you started posting, you have no understanding of the story and setting and refuse to even after it being explained multiple times, yes this is pointless which is why everyones been saying to you
STOP POSTING YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
>>83308644
We are making fun of you because you don't seem to understand what you are even talking about. You say it's a "bad creative decision", but it's the core idea of the entire book. The whole rest of the mythology stems from this concept. It's a way of looking at America. You can say you don't think its an interesting allegory or way to look at American culture, but you haven't really seen what he does with it because you have no exposure to the book. In fact, you seem to think it's about something that it isn't.
>>
>>83308644
you dont explain why you think its shit. just that you think different people having different interpretations of a god is "shit" despite it being a very real thing outside of the book/show. the fact that different cultures have a different interpretation of what are supposed to be the same god is what inspired the book in the first place.
>>
>>83302527
Other American gods have existed, but have since died out.

In the book, there is a brief mention of the old, iron gods for example, which were implied to be railroads if I'm remembering correctly.
>>
>>83308697
Mr Town, Mr Road, not as powerful as Highway but they've still got some juice, their is heaps of gods both old and new, the story only touches on a few of them, except for a couple scenes later on when they gather
>>
File: Chemtrail_SMTIV.jpg (173KB, 1000x1234px) Image search: [Google]
Chemtrail_SMTIV.jpg
173KB, 1000x1234px
>>83308596
Nipponese RPG series that deals with "demons" that were born out of human belief, basically including everything from mythologies to urban legends, cryptids and abstract ideas.

Say hello to the god of the chemtrails conspiracy.
>>
>>83308697

And there are.

One small touch I really liked int he book is the black choppers replacing Valkyries as psychopomps.
>>
>>83302002
America is the head of globalism you dunce. The vast majority of countries are americanized or in the process of being.
>>
>>83308745
I explain it, I think it overcomplicates things, and again, I shouldn't even have to explain it. People can like or dislike aspects of a film or tv show just because it isn't of their taste. But you guys are hellbent on proving that by making it that way, it's better than by making it the way I thought it was. with an instance for every good. which could have been done just as easily.
>>
>>83308697
if the book was written now, they probably would have to be too powerful for the old gods to even have a chance. but you have to keep in mind the book was written in the 90s before the internet really took off and most people only just started being able to afford technology. people weren't obsessed with the internet, or phones back then.

this is why media is more powerful than technology boy, because TV and radio was still the main source of entertainment. now a days media would be weaker because people use technology/internet to watch shows and listen to music.
>>
>>83302309
can you please stop using the word "slay"? its fucking annoying.
>>
File: 27030-39280-thickbox.jpg.png (145KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
27030-39280-thickbox.jpg.png
145KB, 600x600px
>>83307466
>That's exactly what happens when multiple cultures follow one specific god figure like Jesus.

Exactly, ONE specific god with _multiple avatars_, not completely different and wholly independent gods all called Jesus.

Is there a separate Jesus for Michigan and another completely different Jesus for Ohio?

And is there then an Federal-Jesus for American and another National-Jesus for Canada?
>>
File: 1495963232469.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1495963232469.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>83303142

It's getting cancelled. Its ratings are absolute horseshit, last episode only 600,000 people saw it
>>
>>83308879
A Bryan Fuller episode can be made in 20 minutes if you remove all the shitty slowmo
>>
>>83308754
nah railroads still going but he's getting weak
>>
>>83308870
why do you refuse to accept that the book and show DOES separate the avatars into their own beings? there IS a black jesus. there IS a mexican jesus. and there IS a blond blue eyed american jesus and they are all different beings in the book and show. deal with it.
>>
>>83308790
so weeboo shit, knew it
>>
File: soldiers-of-odin-worldwide-logos.jpg (108KB, 1024x657px) Image search: [Google]
soldiers-of-odin-worldwide-logos.jpg
108KB, 1024x657px
>>83307665
>IT IS THE ENTIRE POINT AND CONCEPT OF THE BOOK AND SHOW

No, you're missing the entire point.

There was no Odin in American because there were no believers of Odin in America, until those Vikings caused Odin to manifest an American avatar of Odin in America thru their belief.

But it's the SAME FUCKING ODIN no matter where his believers are.
>>
>>83308969
The first game came out in 1992 and American gods was published in 2001. Make of it what you will.
>>
>>83309007
Nope, that's not what the book is about. It's about American Gods and how they are unique.
>>
>>83303277
wait. Can you do that?
>>
>>83308879
>renewed for season 2
>cancelled
wat do you mean by this?
>>
>>83308870

Both yes and no at the same time to all those questions. You're trying to treat metaphors like you would axioms.

How many Batmans are there? How different are the St Martin from Folklore and Batman? Are they one and the same with a name change? Or a continuation of the same story structure and tropes? Or both, yet unmistakeably different?
>>
>>83308956
you just know they all get together to talk smack about bat shit backwoods snake handling jesus and all have a good laugh
>>
>>83309007
Apparently according to book people this is incorrent. I thought it was the case too. But no, it's as shitty as they say it, hahah
>>
>>83309030
why is it always weeboos who insist anyone gives a shit about their stupid cartoons, no-ones watching them no-ones copying them, every fucking time with u /a/ fgts
>>
File: BLACK_SANTA.jpg (32KB, 370x480px) Image search: [Google]
BLACK_SANTA.jpg
32KB, 370x480px
>>83308060
>pic related. its all santa.

That's an excellent example but somehow you still manage to get it wrong.

They're all just avatars of the SAME Santa.
>>
>>83304107
the mexican jesus is still in mexico. The mexicans just created a new american version of the mexican jesus when they immigrated to america and kept worshipping him.
>>
>>83309007
>>83309096
it doesn''t even make sense if we look at the power of these gods, like Anubis or Odin. For instance, what if there are different interpretation of Valhalla or the Tree of the Nordic mythology?

what a fucking mess
>>
>>83309134
not in the books established universe. you know, the book you havent read yet you keep claiming has its own concept wrong.
>>
>>83309030
I thought the first two weren't published in America,At least not in english..

There was also a daria ep like this too kek
>>
>>83309146
for the fan that wants an universe where everything fits, this decision completely kills it. it's retarded, I still hope that this isn't actually true.
>>
>>83304605
Where is the God of the Dollar? That should be the most powerful god in America. We all trust in it dont we?
>>
>>83309134

You're thinking there is a platonic ideal to which the avatars must conform. But those only exist a posteriori.

But then avatars are shaped by the process of belief, by its praxis, which in turn informs the platonic ideal as it it will aggregate.
>>
>>83309136
yea I know, the question was why didn't they just go to church and start worshiping the american one, but its a dumb question doesn't really deserve an answer, thanks anyway
>>
>>83309208
Don't forget the god of Petrol.
>>
>>83309146
its not a mess. there is just a different valhalla and a different tree that the people who believe in will go to. why cant there be more than one? even the simpsons played with the concept with catholic and christian heaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4IletJ7-Tw
>>
>>83308689
>you havent read the book.

I have read the book, it's clearly you who hasn't and wouldn't understand it if you did, as you are a literalist child who thinks there are completely separate and independent gods simply because humans drew a line on a fucking map...
>>
>>83309208
he probably doesn't give a shit about this petty war, hes on Jesus power levels, gfc would've hurt him though
>>
>>83309255
humans are a collective, the humans of canda think of themselves as 'canadian' in times past it would be more city specific, the people of paris the people of london etc. as people gained a national identity so did the gods
>>
>>83309255
I mean in reality there aren't any gods. But in this book there are, separate ones for different places.
>>
>>83309255
you didnt read the book.
>>
File: Yacub.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Yacub.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
Is Yacub a god? Does he have power over white people?
>>
>>83309043
I can, and so will you in time
>>
File: agi.jpg (123KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
agi.jpg
123KB, 1920x1080px
what angel is that? taticool?
>>
File: hl_dds_0000000000095036.png (26KB, 530x750px) Image search: [Google]
hl_dds_0000000000095036.png
26KB, 530x750px
>>83309036
> hurr durr, the book is called "American Gods" so there must be completely different gods just over the border!

Is there a Chicago Jesus and another separate NYC Jesus and another different Podunk Iowa Jesus? Why not?

Do you not see how stupid that is?
>>
>>83309419

Taticoolel.
>>
>>83305417

Because they were far away from anything resembling modern technology. He was weak there.
>>
>>83309253
>why cant there be more than one?

Because of the way it works. fundamentally speaking, these places, and even these gods, have characteristics that make them unique, specially Jesus with the monotheist stuff where there's only one god. Now imagine two valhallas with the same power, or a different interpretation of a sky bear, held in America as opposed to Europe. There's clearly a problem with the spacial disposition of things.

it is indeed a big fat mess and Gaiman probably didn't want us to think too much about it.
>>
>>83309437
you are taking it too literally. and america is an entire continent. it is not "each states gods" but the landmass as a whole. and you know that. stop being a faggot.
>>
>>83309348
does anyone believe he's a god? or believe in him at all?
>>
>>83306307
But how did the American Anansi kept living if the only ones who believed in him anywher close to america died in the boat?
>>
>>83309437
If you read the book you will see why that is the case. It treats America as a whole as being a place where gods have gathered for a long time like driftwood, separate from other places.
>>
>>83309419
I think they plan on introducing a god of war that wasn't on the book and he is a gun freak
>>
>>83309495

Others came? You do know people still tell tales of Anansi?
>>
File: the one true Batman.jpg (884KB, 795x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the one true Batman.jpg
884KB, 795x1080px
>>83309078
>How many Batmans are there?

Just one, ask the U.S. Copyright Office.

Cheese-ball 60s tv Batman is just another avatar as is Golden Age Batman and Silver Age Batman and the multiple avatars of Batman depending on whichever movie you're watching.
>>
>>83309437
you are now intentionally missing the point, in times past maybe their would have been, as these various colonies became a single country with a single identity that would have changed, but I'm really done trying to have a logical discussion about this, you just keep sperging about muh lord so i'm done, hope you enjoyed the (you)s
>>
>>83309495
...that wasn't the only slave ship, you do know that right?
>>
>>83309462
there is nothing crazy about the idea of multiple dimensions. there is no spacial disposition when it comes to beliefs. there is no science. there can be as many heavens as there are people who believe in the existence of each one.
>>
>>83309516

For some reason, earing about it, I had imagined him being a Vulcan/Hephaestus type - more focused on the weapons themselves, the fetishistic aspect, not the act of war.

Both could work I guess.
>>
>>83309487
The nation of Islam believes in him, though he's more like their devil.
>Is he a god
Well this show as leprechaun and the villains are personifications of modern life. That shouldn't matter, the point is that he's the mythical villain of all black people and father of all white people according to a group of Afrocentric American pseudo-Muslims.
>>
>>83309096
>Apparently according to book people this is incorrent.

I am a "book person", the people saying there are multiple wholly independent and unique gods depending on where you happened to standing, are wrong.
>>
>>83309462
your forgetting well you never knew but anyway the gods don't nessesarily belive in the same shit as their followers, just to fuck with your head a little more, maybe Jesus knows he's not 'the one true god' but he's cool with the idea since it just makes him all the more powerful
>>
>>83309607
he's Vulcan, its almost confirmed at this point
>>
>>83309617
but youre the one thats wrong. just because that flew over your head while the majority of others understood what was actually happen doesnt make you right. just makes you stupid.
>>
>>83309569
>Just one, ask the U.S. Copyright Office.

Interesting case study of a New God faith in action.

>Cheese-ball 60s tv Batman is just another avatar as is Golden Age Batman and Silver Age Batman and the multiple avatars of Batman depending on whichever movie you're watching.

See >>83309230
>>
>>83309608
>a group of Afrocentric American pseudo-Muslims
if theirs enough of them, their belief is strong enough and they've made sacrifices then yea sure he might exist
>>
File: 2123JPPvxkL._SL_250_.jpg (6KB, 300x127px) Image search: [Google]
2123JPPvxkL._SL_250_.jpg
6KB, 300x127px
>>83309482
>you are taking it too literally.

No, those who are wrongly claiming there are wholly different and completely independent Odins if you drive over the border from the U.S. into Canada are taking it too literally.

If there's an American Odin and a Canadian Odin (defined by an arbitrary line a map...) then there is no reason why there wouldn't a Chicago Odin and a NYC Odin etc. and for that matter, different and wholly independent Odins depending on which street you happen to be standing on.
>>
I came here for discussion of the episode and got autistic shit-flinging. This is going to happen every time, isn't it?
>>
>>83309805
Ever been in an SMT thread on /v/? Whenever this concept comes up of course people are going to nitpick and point out how there are no meme gods.
>>
>>83309578
with other world it could work perfectly, but not with material things in this dimension Like that bear in the sky I was talking about.

if for instance people in Bulgaria think the bear in the sky has 3 eyes and the people in america think the bear in the sky has 4 eyes and that it exists in the same place, then there are two bears.

if a person is a catholic and the other is an orthodox and they believe in the same heaven what happens if they go to different heavens?
>>83309617
really? it'd be interesting if people posted some paragraphs that prove this wrong.
>>83309621
And this is where I'm trying to get before everyone got butthurt. it's overcomplicating things. And I don't get why Gaiman would do it since he likes to worldbuild a lot
>>
>>83309805
nah, they get tired eventually. and OP pic cycles a bit in between threads that sometimes they even miss the thread completely.
>>
>>83309617
>I am a "book person", the people saying there are multiple wholly independent and unique gods depending on where you happened to standing, are wrong.

So how do you explain the last meeting of Odin and Shadow at the end of the book?

>>83309805

Don't forget the racist/sexist/homophobic complaints. If anything I'm glad those don't eat up most of the thread for once.
>>
>>83309799
The reason is that the book is about American Culture, using gods as a metaphor for the different parts that make up that immigrant culture. Specifically it's about the continent and there is some weird stuff in there (that you haven't read) about why Gods are in such a unique place there, so it'd be for the Americas as a whole.
>>
File: macshoppe.jpg (143KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
macshoppe.jpg
143KB, 1000x1000px
>yfw Vaporwave would be a god if the book was written today.
>>
>>83307562
thats only based on belief and works well in the book/tv. But not in reality like you claim. IF and only IF Jesus was actually a real God then it woulndt matter what the believers think he is, he will still be the same person. If I believe you are black that wont make you black. So in reality, if someone belives in a Jesus who is not the actual Jesus they would be just believing in nothing.
Like in the bible when Jesus says: many will call my name and say Jesus Jesus in your name we prophetized and I will tell them, I never knew you.

They were just worhipping a made up version of Jesus they though better aligned with their desires than the actual one. Fooling themselves.
>>
>>83309837
becuase its great, thats why gaiman did it because the concept and execution of the idea was and is great, you haven't even read the book and its fucking with your head, heres another concept gaiman likes stretched time see if you can get it, basically why not kinda push on time to stretch it out a bit, maybe make an hour a bit longer or a day or a week, its still seven days but maybe theirs a few extra days in their if we stretch things a bit. This won't come up in AG so don't worry the ideas already presented seem taxing enough for you, still just an example your approach to this material is all wrong basically
>>
>>83310046
That's not how things are in this setting. All the gods are real, vying for worship at the same time. Can you understand that?
>>
>>83310046
just to fuck your shit up a little more, in this universe Jesus is the real Jesus he's real and can forgive your sins and take you to heaven, if you believe in him and acknowledge him as the one true god. Their is also anibus who if you belive in him will weigh your heart against a feather to decide your fate, both are real both exist, even further their is multiple versions of them all are real all exist, get it? no? then just stop watching its not for you
>>
>>83307563
If he didnt make it that way then he would have to explain why all the god are in America and not in their respective countries. Why is Jesus in America and not in Jerusalem?
>>
>>83310106
it doesn't fuck with my head. I've named a few examples to why it doesn't work.

Also what happened to Odin when the vikings left America? did he die because nobody believed in him in that land? also what if it was the same god of Europe? it's just plain wrong. The creation of another god simply because of geographical location? hahah give me a break.
>>
>>83307614
Its not what people believe, its what people worship.
>>
The thing I like bout Wednesday letting the cat out of the bag for the cop is how heavily implied it is he knows the guy is already dead.

Which works on several levels.
>>
>>83310196
It's not for that reason, it's because the show is literally about AMERICAN GODS. The decision for them to be different wasn't taken for any other reason than he wanted to write a book about that concept. The book is about immigrants and multiculturalism in America's history, how culture completely changes and is different in this new setting and the Gods are just a metaphor for that.
>>
>>83310225
>named a few examples to why it doesn't work.
no you haven't named one because even after all these fucking posts you still either can't or refuse to grasp the basic concept, your question in this post for instance has already been answered ITT
>>
>>83310225
He was waiting. Gods aren't humans, time is different for them.
>>
>>83310196
that would be easier. Because of the importance of the US in the world, They could just be gathering there because the author wants it.
>>83310229
exactly, and if you worship the same god in two different location, continental locations then there are two gods? why? why can't they be omnipresent and go whenever people worship them instead of creating a new one whenever worships them in a land where they didn't exist previous to their arrival?

And the plot thickens for the "there are several instance of the same god" fags
>>
>>83310225
>simply
nothing simple about it, did killing 1/2 your buddies putting your eye out etc. seem simple? did burning a boat load of people seem simple? you are intentionally refusing to understand or you are literally the densest motherfucker i've come across
>>
>>83310331
Why are you still in so much denial that a book you haven't read is about something different to what you guessed it was?
>>
>>83310286
again, explain the beard in the sky. Explain what happens when ragnarok comes, or apocalypse
>>
>>83310331
>>83310195
>>
>>83310368
I'm tired of repeating I'm not in denial of anything. I SAY IT'S SHIT!!!
>>
>>83310376

All the Ragnaroks happen at the same time. An they're all identical yet vastly different?
>>
>>83310376
it probably doesn't the gods like to talk shit but rarely follow through, again i've already explained this, we're just going over the same shit that we did an hr ago
>>
>>83310430
doesn't ever happen, none of the gods give enough of a shit to have an apocalypse even if they could gather enough power
>>
>>83310487

We come close to it in the book, amusingly enough.
>>
>>83310521
yea some do give it their best go
>>
>>83310430
it can't be because there's only 1 earth, also the play the gods will play and their interaction with other gods make it inconsisten, Imagine if there's a god that hasn't made it into America but he is vital for Ragnarok? doesn't matter how you think about it, the system is flawed. Specially if we take into account that gods are created when you worship them, and if you don't, they aren't created at all. Hence the problem of godless religions presents.

>>83310440
Indeed. Let's stop it, this is going nowhere
>>
>>83310578
>it can't be because there's only 1 earth

And it can die ten thousands deaths at the same time.

Again, you're treating metaphors as you would axioms.
>>
>>83310412
But you won't accept that the book is about american versions of gods, you seem obsessed that it's about something else entirely.
>>
>>83307713
in the new testament Satan is Zeus. Hades and Apollo are also mentioned. In the book of Enoch The angels in charge of watching over the world fell in love with women and made a vow that all of them will fuck women so that god would have to punish all of them and not just a few who were afraid the others werent going to be true with it. Those women gave birth to a new race of humans with angelic powers. God then passed judgement upon the fathers of the new humans and the new humans got men to worship them so the became The Gods. They Kept spreding their seed with human women and created demi gods. And the third generation of humans were almost as weak and powerless as humans compared their demi god fathers, god grandfatehrs and angel great grandfathers but they were highily intelligent, they went on to become the kings and rulers of the world and created civilization. They are the protected blood line, those who dont mix with other races, the pures, the ones obsessed with race and not mixing, the ones people call blue bloods, the illuminati, the elite, the bloodline, the royalty etc. They are all descendants of fallen angels.

In the book of enoch God told them that since they mixed with that of the earth meaning humans then their souls were bound to earth and when they died their souls will not ascend to heaven like the angels but instead will become evil spirits condemned to roam and haunt the earth forever. And that is where evil spirits came from.

Thats why in the bible god says that not everyone is his child, for his children are mixed with the children of abomination.
>>
>>83310252
I thought he did it because nobody would believe in this crazy shit.
>>
>>83310657
oh I accept it if you say it is, what we're arguing is that it's shit and doesn't work.
>>83310638
let's say a religion dictates that earth will die of fire and everybody will burn but the end it will all be solved and everyone will be together

let say another interpretation of said religion states that earth will freeze and then a giant dragon will breath and save everyone.

we're talking of the same two different events happening to the same people. And what if two members of one family believe in each version of the story...?
>>
>>83307713
>Yahweh, not a demon
LOL
>>
>>83310779
>And what if two members of one family believe in each version of the story...?

Both and none and each only ever happen at the same time. You're really not wired to how this whole thing processes
>>
>>83310779
How can you know it's shit and it doesn't work if you've never read the book?
>>
>>83310729

That works too, but personally given what we know of the plot and the characters, I think him anticipating the death works on several levels in a more satisfying manner.
>>
>>83310779
Maybe if the whole world believed in one mythology that the world was about to end, it really could. Or maybe not, we never see belief being THAT strong.

All we see it able to do is some pretty basic level magic as well as making these gods and sort people out with appropriate afterlives.
>>
>>83310914
The concept doesn't
Thread posts: 397
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.