[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alien: Covenant is getting BTFO by Pirates, Baywatch and GOTG2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 25

File: alien covenant poster.jpg (503KB, 1381x2048px) Image search: [Google]
alien covenant poster.jpg
503KB, 1381x2048px
JUST

>Early estimates are in and they’re brutal.

>Not since the Friday the 13th remake can I recall a drop like this as Twentieth Century Fox’s Alien: Covenant was burned by Baywatch and sunk by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. In fact, the Friday estimates were so bad that Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 beat out Ridley Scott’s Prometheus sequel/Alien prequel.

>As I reported opening weekend, while posting numbers a drop lower than Prometheus, there wasn’t much to worry about especially since the budget was reported around $30 million less this go around.

>But this is BAD.

>Covenant made an estimated $3 million on Friday, making it a whopping 80% drop from the $15 million the week prior. As Forbes notes, this puts it on track to be one of the ten biggest second-week drops of all time.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3439492/pirates-sink-alien-covenant-box-office/

Unless China swoops in and saves the day Covenant is gonna make significantly less money than Prometheus. The only silver lining is it had a smaller budget than Prometheus. So does this completely destroy Ridley Scott's plans to start filming a sequel next year?
>>
>giving a shit how a movie does in the theater

its a shit movie, but that has nothing to do with the box office
>>
fassbender confirmed for box office cancer. he's finished.
>>
Went and saw it last Sunday morning when the theater should have been empty.

Decent crowd, and I thought the movie was alright, way better than Prometheus.
>>
>>83295651
In this case the box office matters, Ridley planned on making two more Alien films and this disaster has fucked over his plans.
>>
>>83295700
But he was the best part of the damn movie.
>>
>>83295855
asscreed time to stop sniffing farts.
>>
>>83295810

Thank fucking god
>>
>>83295908
What?
>>
>>83295545
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alienparadiselost.htm
>Worldwide: $158,356,462
It's not going to be a huge success, but it's going to be fine. Ridley's making kino, and millenials can't stop him.
>>
>>83295810

This could be a good thing
>>
>damaged franchise from AvP and prometheus
>no big names besides fassbender
>name doesn't make it clear to people whether this was prometheus 2 or alien 5
>reviews were meh
>marketing was minimal compared to prometheus

Yeah, I'm not surprised this thing underperformed.
>>
>>83296235
It has only been out for two weeks and it's already failing at the US box office. China is its only hope. If it isn't a hit in China then Ridley will never get to make Alienkino again.
>>
>>83296601
>>damaged franchise from AvP and prometheus
To be fair the Alien franchise was damaged long before AvP and Prometheus came along. The assembly cut of Alien 3 is good but what was put in theaters was a mess that damaged the franchise and then fucking Resurrection came along and did twice as much damage.
>>
>>83297076
You've already posted your shitty video in other threads. Nice clickbait usage of a meme you didn't even create to lure people to listening to your shitty retarded voice.
You are fucking pathetic. Go get cancer.
>>
>>83295545
>As Forbes notes, this puts it on track to be one of the ten biggest second-week drops of all time
is there a list? i'm actually interested
>>
poop goblin
>>
>>83297076
Why do you keep shilling on here?
>>
>>83295545
>Baywatch tanking
>BTFOing Alien Covenant

Damn, alien must not have anyone see it then.
>>
>>83298249
It's flopping pretty hard in the USA. It did fine the opening week but now word has spread it's a mess so no one is seeing it.
>>
>>83295810
Ask yourself this question: Does the world need another Alien movie?
>>
>>83298528
We actually do, Prometheus and Covenant were full of tons of questions that need to be fucking answered.
>>
>>83297726
What?
>>
>>83298528
Why does Scott have to be pretentious director and not just cash in on the whole Alien vs Marines (survivors). I mean those 6 minutes of the xenomorph inside the colony ship in covenant brought life to the already a bland movie.
>>
Good, I hope it bombs completely and Scott never makes another movie.
>>
>>83298594
Why am I watching this stupid movie?
What's up with that space axe?
How do people get all the good anvils so quickly?
>>
>>83299421
This won't kill his career. Maybe he won't get to do another Alien film but he'll definitely make more films.
>>
>>83297693

Here you go anon:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/drops.htm

Alien: Covenant has the 76th-biggest second-weekend drop of all time in North America. The 1st-place record was actually broken earlier this year by Collide.
>>
Scott's washed up. Faggot needs to hang himself by his shit stained underwear in his basement.
Only Based Cameron can save this abysmal franchise.
>>
Good the movie is overrated dogshit trash
>>
>>83300312
i hope cameron never makes a movie again.
this mainstream pandering shit eating faggotbitch.
>>
>>83298249
I saw it friday night, during what should have been the busiest screening and there was maybe a handful of people in the crowd.
>>
>>83295545
Lifelong alien fan here. Feelsbadman. Still not paying that much to sit in a (uncrowded lel) theater without a pause button.
>>
>>83300347
>overrated
What? It's flopping at the box office and it isn't getting a lot of love from critics. Don't let the TomatoMeter fool you, almost every critic thinks Covenant is very flawed.
>>
File: IMG_0061.jpg (169KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0061.jpg
169KB, 1200x800px
Apologize
>>
Let this be a lesson to all deepfag tryhards
>>
>>83298594
>Alien Covenant fails to answer fuck all that Prometheus brought up.
>Actually kill Noomi Rapace's character off screen as she was the only character left alive who wanted answers

>thinking the next sequel will answer anything
>>
>>83300194
>Collide.
That came out?

I guessing it was very bad?
>>
>>83300539
Fuck off, Blomkamp. You're a bigger hack than Scott.
>>
>>83300585

The next sequel (if there is one) won't have jackshit to do with Prometheus and Covenant. They'll probably shoehorn in Ripley and turn it into some Michael Bay action fest with space marines blowing away aliens.
>>
>>83298528
>thinking the Alien franchise will ever end
>implying they won't just reboot with another director like always
>>
>>83300737
They will make Blomkamp's Alies 2?! Fuck, what a shame.
>>
>>83299421
The Martian was too popular.

This kills the alien however

>>83300737
My money is on either a tv series or a remake in 10 years
>>
>>83299421
given how it ended, I don't even see what they could even do with a sequel.
It'd be like Salo meets cabin in the woods
>>
>>83303143
>It'd be like Salo meets cabin in the woods
Sounds like kino.
>>
>>83303143
It would be, and I would love to see it.

Hell, make it for 20 million and just let Scott go all Salo and go completely insane.
>>
>>83303143

>I don't even see what they could even do with a sequel.

I can.

A spaceship with a diverse crew ranging from "nervous guy" to "strong female lead" show up at the colony planet that the Covenant was headed towards. They also have an android named Michael.
On the planet everything seems normal but soon enough some of them get infected by facehuggers. Everyone panics and they abandon protocol to save their crewmembers who explode soon enough and birth xenos.
The crew fights the xenos but die one by one.
The remaining couple of characters including "strong female lead" and Michael escape to the location of the Covenant on the planet and there meet David who uses this chance to throw some exposition at us. Xenos are perfect, humans are bad, etc...
They fight and defeat him but he dies happy since his aliens are unstoppable now.
They eventually swarm the main characters but not before they self-destruct the Covenant.

Etc..

This shit is getting way too predictable.
>>
>>83303339
I was hoping for colonists waking up and being experimented on by David, and them trying to make a break for it.
>>
>>83303416

nothing that risky will ever be shown, only implied offscreen

these are big budget movies and they will follow predictable narrative formulas with stock situations and stock characters
>>
>>83303442
After the failure of the last movie, the only chance for a sequel might be a 20 million dollar one that takes some risk...

But I understand a movie like that is a pipe dream.
>>
I doubt this is it for Alien. They'll probably chalk it up to "Maybe we should've done Neill Blomkamp's film instead", actually do that film and kick whatever other plans Ridley Scott had for Alien to the curb.
>>
>>83296235
>Budget $96 million
>Marketing presumably around $100 million

It needs about $250 million worldwide before it starts turning a profit. Stick a fork in that senile old bastard, he's done. Should have given Blomkamp a chance to bat instead.
>>
>>83303636
they didn't spend 100 million on marketing, but no, it not going to make it money back.

Total cost is closer to 130 million after promotion.
>>
>>83303730
It's been surprisingly aggressively marketed, at least here in the UK. I'm guessing costs are anywhere between $50 and $100 million.
>>
>>83303175
>>83303198
I mean I'd prolly be better than Covenant, but seems too good to be true, just like they said in the movie Alien Covenant
>>
>>83303801
I know they spent $22.35 million on television advertising for the movie. Thus the promotion was most likely in the 30 million range.
>>
I thought it was a good solid film, despite the usual people-behaving-stupidly plot shenanigans. Much better than Prometheus.
>>
>>83299383
>I mean those 6 minutes of the xenomorph inside the colony
that was garbage, except for the floating shards of glass which was pure kino.
>>
>>83297076
Put some fucking work into your videos if you want people to take you seriously. Jesus.
>>
>>83303198
>Hell, make it for 20 million and just let Scott go all Salo and go completely insane.
can we email him and harrass him until he does this? im pretty sure hes pretentious enough to do it.
>>
>>83303801
Who is managing the damn franchise at this point? The Alien demographic are a bunch of internet memesters.
>>
>>83303730
>they didn't spend 100 million on marketing,
Yes they did, that's the average price for blockbusters.

They also had all of the addition web content that wasn't in the movie like the Walter commercial and the prologue with James Franco.
>>
>>83304653
They didn't even spend 25 million on TV ads.

So no, they did not spend 100 million on promotion.
>>
>>83298249

I think this is just a sign of the theatre business dying. This is supposed to be a huge weekend for box office, and we had a sequel to a beloved sci fi movie that had a killer trailer, a sequel to a beloved pirate movie with a meh trailer but Disney's backing, and a movie that is entirely based around tits- and they are all tanking.

If there was a viable business model to watch these things without having to pay $8 for a bag of popcorn, dindus playing on their phone and talking during the movie, and 20 minutes of commercials to sit thru these movies would do well.
>>
>>83304749

Literally one (1) primetime slot costs about 100K on a major network.
>>
>>83305133
They spent a little over 22 million on ads.

(31 ads that in total was shown 1,706 times across 43 networks.)

There promotion budget was discussed in articles on a number of trade publications due to them spending less both on the movie and promotion and aiming for a very focused ad campaign (to sports fans) and some innovated ads in the UK.
>>
>>83295810
Good.
>>
The easiest way to do this is to take
(Domestic / 2) + (Foreign / 3) >= Listed promotional budget

It's gonna be REALLY close
>>
>>83295545
Praise the lord. The movie-watching public is retarded on average, but sometimes they come through.
>>
File: b49[1].gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49[1].gif
1MB, 680x680px
>The original treatment for the film, as revealed by Ridley Scott in 2012 when this film was still in development, was to be a more faithful sequel to Prometheus (2012). Entitled 'Paradise Lost' it would have drifted even further from the Alien mythology and focused almost exclusively on the backstory of the engineers, the origins of humanity, and how the engineers created humans and xenomorphs. The prequel series would then conclude with a film that ties itself in to the original Alien series. Ridley Scott pursued this idea because he felt that the Alien series lost its touch and was overdone and overexposed and as such wanted to try a different approach. However due to the divided fan reactions of Prometheus, Ridley Scott abandoned this direction and took a different approach instead. Specifically to reintroduce the Alien mythos much sooner with the classic xenomorph.
>>
>>83295545
I just got out of it, theater was almost empty. About a dozen people in a typical megaplex. Parking lot of the theater was full. Honestly I hope it flops, it wasn't good. Ridley needs to retire.
>>
>>83295545

China won't save this. Prometheus didn't even open in China, so no one there will be interested in the sequel, also foreign films only get 25% of the box office money from China, which means it would have to be a HUGE hit there to save it, that won't happen.

Covenant will lose money during it's box office run, we will not see another sequel, an Alien reboot will come in a couple of years.
>>
>>83295545

White people don't go to the movie theaters anymore since everything is catered to niggers and niggers ruin everything,
>>
>>83307701
Good god why. Just let it fucking die already. I know the studio will keep trying to milk it for every sheckel they think it's worth, but there hasn't been a good movie in the series since 1986. Just stop already.
>>
>>83307701
they get between 25 - 33%

t. insider
>>
>>83307771
>implying alien resurrection isn't dope as fuck
>>
did you guys actually think this was going to be good?
>>
>>83296235
>Ridley's making kino, and millenials can't stop him.
You don't have to defend every bad movie.
>>
>>83307843

>they get between 25 - 33%

That's the average numbers for foreign gross, for China it is 25%.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/01/china-limit-on-imported-films-relaxed-amid-box-office-downturn
>>
>>83295810
Good
I can't believe we've gotten to the point where people are being conned into watching studio trash on the promise that the next one will be good, as though we're all some kind of family who have to keep ponying up the cash to get cousin Vinny out on bail, and this time, he's really gonna change. Give me a fucking break
>>
>>83295700
I genuinely don't understand how he seems to be great actor, and is often the best part of the movies he's in, yet keeps getting himself involved in trash
Does he just have horrible taste, a worthless agent, or what
>>
>>83307024
This is the movie that I wanted to see.

Not more "hurr durr xenowhats"

Literally who the fuck bitched about not enough xenomorphs? the movie wasnt called alien for a reason. The complaints that I heard the more where "retarded scientists and people being retards" that was it. And we got even more retards this time.
>>
There should never have been a sequel to Alien at all except Aliens. That was the 2 ways you could do it fresh. Another horror movie would always feel too similar, another action movie would always feel weaker than Aliens.

Alien/Aliens should've been it. Want more space horror, make a new franchise.
>>
>>83296235

>Worldwide: $158,356,462

That is GROSS, on average the distributor/studio gets 50% of the domestic box office gross, the rest goes to the theatres, if it's a hit, the studio gets more, typically ~60%.

Of the foreign gross, the studio gets 25-35%, so lets break down the numbers for Covenant:

domestic gross: $57 million
foreign gross: $101 million

studio take of domestic: ~$30 million
of foreign: ~$30 million

So the studio has netted $60 million for a movie which cost them ~$100 million to produce and at least another $30-50 million to market, meaning they need to net at least another $70 million to break even.

That is not going to happen, with this terrible second weekend drop they won't even come close.
>>
>>83295545
D E S U Covenant would've been BTFO'd even if it was literally perfect in every way. Guardians of the galaxy and pirates of the caribbean are normie tier. Alien is niche now more than it ever was.
>>
>>83308212
>new fresh ideas for big budget summer films
What year do you think it is?
>>
>>83307024
>The original treatment for the film, as revealed by Ridley Scott in 2012 when this film was still in development, was to be a more faithful sequel to Prometheus (2012). Entitled 'Paradise Lost' it would have drifted even further from the Alien mythology and focused almost exclusively on the backstory of the engineers, the origins of humanity, and how the engineers created humans and xenomorphs.
This is exactly the movie that I wanted. I thought Prometheus was enjoyable, even if it wasn't good, it was at least very interesting to me.
The ending of Prometheus made me think this would be about David and Elizabeth landing on the annuaki's planet and communicating with them and shit, instead we get just get David shoehorned in as a bad guy. They might as well have called this Alien: David.
This shit reminded me of Little Witch Academia TV while I was watching this, you had a great base and all you had to do was follow the predecessor, but it is ruined via shoehorning.
I should have just walked out the second it showed David killing all the blue people.
>>
>>83295810
Does this mean Neil Blomkamp will get to make his Alien movie?
>>
File: 1493863090098.gif (2MB, 450x246px) Image search: [Google]
1493863090098.gif
2MB, 450x246px
>>83304853
This.
>>
>>83308260
If it was actually good, or at least interesting in the way a real Prometheus sequel could have been, it would have had a chance, especially since it seems like Pirates of the Caribbean is another miss
It failed because it was an underwhelming, mediocre mess of a movie, and the word of mouth made sure that people who were on the fence would stay away
>>
>>83308299
>want to make your movie
>need money from studio execs
>pitch them your vision
>king kike doesn't even watch movies
>"that sounds boring it's an alien movie people want aliens and action!"
>yes sir that movie is much better than my silly idea heh
>>
>>83308375
I just hope there's an extended cut down the line. Not sure how much it will fix, though.
>>
>>83295545
ALIEN 5 WITH WEAVER WHEN?
>>
Movie is objectively superior to Prometheus. Bonus: it's basically a 40's Gothic horror film in space.
>>
File: 1491178690839.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1491178690839.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>83307024
Yep, we could have had so much more...
Prometheus was a litmus test. A fork in the road.
Given people's reactions, he proceeded to 'Covenant' :
According to Scott, the Engineers periodically visit worlds they've seeded with life and occasionally will "wipe the slate clean" if they discover their offspring have lost their way. Much like the catastrophes described in biblical times when God grew tired of Mankind, the Engineers too, would eradicate entire generations of species if they proved to be a disappointment.

Alien: Covenant The Crossing Prologue

If the planet went wrong, they would want to wipe it clean. But that could take 500 years. When they revisit – because different visitors would come back and see we’re not doing so well – they would look at these human beings that are jerks, that are killing the planet, killing themselves, can’t settle down, they’re like a bunch of children. We should wipe it clean.

-------
> would eradicate entire generations of species if they proved to be a disappointment.
> they would look at these human beings that are jerks, that are killing the planet, killing themselves, can’t settle down, they’re like a bunch of children. We should wipe it clean.

Covenant was an off the nose hit job by Ridley against the idiot masses that turned away from the foundation outlined by Prometheus in which he wanted to delve more into creation. Given their reaction, he depicted them as utter idiots and blew them the fuck out in Covenant.

The plot is given away in the title.
Amazingly this went over the broad majority of people's heads which only goes to reinforce his point and reflect the state of humanity.

I hope that Ridley releases details about Paradise Lost to some degree or maybe it will be a story that reveals/writes itself. The world seemingly is headed this way IRL.
>>
Just got back from seeing it a second time and there was only two other people in the theater and they left about ten minutes in.
>>
>>83308949
Why did you go see it a second time
>>
>>83308766
A always had a feeling that covenant was going to be a deliberate fuck you to people that complained about prometheus not having xenos.
>>
>>83308766
So this was his revenge against the people who shat on his Ancient Aliens magnum opus? Fuck the engineers. Fuck that whole idea. It's absolute trash. I see what he was trying to do with the dichotomy between them/us and us/david, I even liked Prometheus as a film. But he absolutely ruined the series by taking it in this direction.

If he wanted to explore human origins he should have done it with an original IP.
>>
File: image_1.png (46KB, 619x453px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.png
46KB, 619x453px
This makes me sad. I've already seen the movie twice, I might see it again to give them more money. I really want this movie to do well
>>
>>83309137
Yes.

He had (Paradise lost) queued and had to re-script it due to all-around faggot tier brainlet complaints about Prometheus which was a 10/10 film. So, he went scorched universe.

Source sauce:
http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-scott-explains-why-david-bombed-engineers

Alien/Aliens always tied in with a creator/creators. The whole point was to get people to reflect on the destructive monsters that the human race had become.
>>
>>83309726
They could have kept the aliens/engineers angle and still made his impossibly pretentious little allegory without the Ancient Aliens shit. I just find that stuff so fucking offensive. Not because I'm a bible beater, but because it diminishes the achievements of mankind.
>>
>>83307848
>Joss Whedon using the Alien franchise to create a backdoor pilot for Firefly, the most overrated TV show in history
>Turns Ripley into some hyper-sexualised superpowered lesbian
>The Newborn

Literally the only thing Resurrection had going for it was production design. Everything else is laughably misguided.
>>
So why did David turn into a cunt? Why did he kill Elizabeth? What does killing humanity do for him? He cannot even communicate with his creations so I don't see the point in creating them other than destroying humans.

Who created the "virus", did the engineers themself do it? Why did the engineers rip David's head off in prometheus? Why would the crew of the coventant just go outside on an unknown planet without helmets and suits?

This movie has so much shit unexplained, really hope they clear shit up with the last movie if it ever gets created.
>>
>>83311114
apparently the book enplanes it all.
>>
>>83311193
What book?
>>
This movie has surprisingly good rewatchability, and it gets better with each view.
>>
File: 1415427090779.jpg (20KB, 360x222px) Image search: [Google]
1415427090779.jpg
20KB, 360x222px
>>83295545
Eh, even if Covenant was perfect and everybody loved it, it wouldn't draw enough appeal for the normies. Most people just wanna watch capeshit these days. Sad but true.
>>
>>83311114
I am not sure about David. It seems like a tangled psychological thing though, having to do with self-loathing and an existential crisis. He's smart but he's a child, emotionally-speaking. He's never known love, was created to be perfect by imperfect beings. When he asks Holloway why humanity made him, Holloway responds "because we could," and David takes that to heart. The engineer ripping his head off reinforces this-- he's seen as an abomination by the engineer. A perversion of the (life) creation process.

They would have been able to tell about the atmosphere and stuff before setting foot on the planet, but why they weren't wearing suits for biohazard etc. is a mystery. The stupidity of the crew basically ruined the movie for me. I can understand people being dumb in a horror flick, or more generally people reacting poorly under stress, but the retardedness of the covenant crew was beyond the pale imo.
>>
>>83311512
I don't understand what appeal capeshit has. It's always the same shit and just in different clothing/uniforms. Fucking tired of this shit. Always predictable, always cheesy boring faggot jokes, shit acting, boring plot. Fuck, it's so shit and yet people love it. Fucking normalfags.
>>
its a fucking dracula movie. i loved it. but such a thing just goes over the plebs heads.
>>
>>83311610
>DUDE I'M SUCH A NERD! HAHAHAHA, CHRIS PRATT IS SO HOT!

>ehhhh... a scary movie? n-no... that's... that's gross...

There's your answer.
>>
>>83295545
are they even going to go along with the sequel? ridley scott is clearly a hack.
>>
>>83299383
except the rest of the movie was a shitfest and any combat after the fact is just a fucking joke
>>
>>83311737
like always, women and niggers ruining everything.
>>
>one of the greatest sci-fis ever with the iconic monster is turned into an episode of Ancient Aliens

Words cannot describe my happiness this flopped, I'm so happy, maybe the kikes finally put this """"""""""franchise"""""""""" to sleep for good.
>>
>>83311842
Man, there was a guy at the showing I saw that blatantly said "I hate scary movies".

So no, there's dudes too who don't like scary shit.
>>
the movie is ok, does it really deserve to sweep the box office? not really. cut out david and this is literally just alien again. i think this story has been stretched to its absolute limit at this point.
>>
>>83311352
The Official Movie Novelization
>>
>>83311910
its alright that the little faggot didnt like "scary movies". but why the fuck did he go to an alien movie then?
>>
decompression scene was pure fucking kino.
>>
>>83312060

Scott is a great technical director.

The problem is that both Prometheus and this had weak scripts
Great themes, characters and concepts but very weak delivery.

Also for a franchise that had very realistic characters in its first two films, by this point everyone sounds rehearsed.

Scott should've pooled his resources into just a movie or a series of movies about David. He's the only interesting thing about this debacle and almost every shot with him in it is pure kino.
>>
>>83312012
Actually, the man was an obvious 40+ overly inflated manchild with a brood of equal overly inflated people.

That said, he wasn't my most awkward movie going experience encounter. That I shall reserve for the time I went to see an MCU movie and some on the spectrum comic book nerd tried to engage in a conversation with me. He was the most archetype "basement living geek" you could ever imagine.

Best/Most Bittersweet movie going experience easily was the time I sat next to a cute nerd chick during a late night IMAX showing of Watchmen and had a really enjoyable pre-movie conversation with her. Too bad she was from out of a town, though or 19/20 year old me might've actually had a chance fling with her.
>>
>>83300668
How? 1/3 of Blomkamp's filmography is bad.

Fucking 1/8 of Scott's is good.
>>
>>83295545
>went to see this today
>only 4 people in the theatre
shame, I thought it was alright.
>>
File: 1454789078697.jpg (20KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
1454789078697.jpg
20KB, 480x451px
>>83305236
>aiming for a very focused ad campaign (to sports fans)
Ah, yeah, sports fans, the core Alien audience.
>>
>>83312153
the walter vs david fight looked pretty extreme and well delivered. if all scenes would have been like the ones with david on it, it would have been a 10/10 sci-fi masterpiece. but it would still have underperformed at box office because plebs.
>>
>>83312359
dont tell me you consider elysium good.
>>
>>83312529
Well thankfully, we don't have to lament another undeserved flop.
If anything I'll thank normies on this one.
>>
>>83312592

It's far better than both Prometheus and Covenant combined.
>>
>>83312600
you know we still get more Ridleykino. man wont stop.
>>
>>83312617
But at least I don't have to hear critics gush about how Prometheus 1, 2 and 3 are amazing movies that "a small portion of the fans" disliked.
>>
File: tumblr_m63t9h1PMu1qbyr2eo3_250.gif (668KB, 250x181px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m63t9h1PMu1qbyr2eo3_250.gif
668KB, 250x181px
>>83308349

Fuck Memekamp and Lib-Fi. We need to make Sci-Fi great again!
>>
>>83309938
>diminishes the achievements of mankind.
>the achievements of mankind.
like what? We can't do much
Personally I just hope to see the singularity in my life time. AIs should take our place and actually achieve stuff. At least this way something of value would come out of us humans.
>>
>>83312153

>The problem is that both Prometheus and this had weak scripts

Yes, the lack of characters you can give a shit about, due to not having any personality, continously acting like absolute morons because that's the only plot device the shitty writers can handle.

Shaw in Prometheus had at least an inch of a personality with her not being able to carry a child which defined her actions to some extent, the heroine in Covenant (I can't even fucking remember her name and I saw the movie 2 days ago!) was so uninteresting and the actress so bland-looking that she might as well have been an extra.

Her playing dress-up to try make her look like Sgourney Weaver only drove that point further, absolutely zero charisma and zero character.

Who on earth decided to cast her as the main character for this movie !?
>>
>>83312747
Cameron is a huge liberal.
>>
>>83313075

At this point Ridley is just going with whatever script someone can muster up for him in 5 minutes and then tells them to additionally copy-paste in recognizable Alien franchise elements.

From what I can see he was mostly focused on the David scenes.
>>
>>83313075
>I'm too much of an ADHD riddled millenial to pay attention to a movie, the post

Why don't you just stick to Guardians of Galaxy or whatever capeshit crap you millenials love so much?
>>
>>83312153
>Aliens
>realistic characters
Lol. Over the top stereotype marines vs weak bugs + Ridley is now le mommy for soccer moms to identify with.
Not saying it's a crap movie, just holding it to the same standards as AC.
>>
>>83312879
your a dorable
>>
File: 1185987628164.jpg (13KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1185987628164.jpg
13KB, 400x300px
>>83314227
>a dorable
>>
>>83307024
Jesus fucking Christ, Ridley... people didn't hate Prometheus because there weren't enough xenos it it... people hated Prometheus because it was a badly made movie with retarded writing.
>>
>>83309726
>due to all-around faggot tier brainlet complaints about Prometheus which was a 10/10 film.
>about Prometheus which was a 10/10 film.
>Prometheus which was a 10/10 film.
>Prometheus 10/10 film.
>Prometheus 10/10
>>
>BTFO by Pirates
>movie hasn't leaked
>>
Everytime I see that poster I think it's Godzilla
>>
>>83295545
Why make camrips if their quality is literally shittier than a shitty shingle on a pair of fake plastic pornstars tits?

Seriously, fucking why?

If you like camrips, you are a gigantic fucking retarded piece of shit.
>>
>>83295545
>So does this completely destroy Ridley Scott's plans to start filming a sequel next year?

Please Jesus
>>
good, fuck this movie
>>
>>83295545
Is this enough to land Ridley's senile ass in an old people's home so we can get Blomkamp's fanfiction back on track?
>>
Pirates was way worse than this
>>
>Ridley Scoot makes a science-fiction story that uses images and songs from classic literature in a cheeky, dark quasi-biblical narrative.

> classical literature

> The American public

Guys, I think I know what went wrong here.
>>
>>83317212
>Pirates was way worse than this
Go back to the upboat site. Father-daughter kino in a fantasy carribean setting is obviously the superior movie to a shitty hack's cinematic universe alienxploitation rehash.
>>
>>83310253
>set hundreds of years ito the future, further than each of the other sequels, giving it plenty of breathing room from any plot twists or other films set in-between 3 and 4
>classic campy B movie vibes
>immersive atmosphere
>decent practical effects
>people still think of 3 more highly

Shits unfair yo
>>
>>83317500
>>set hundreds of years ito the future, further than each of the other sequels, giving it plenty of breathing room from any plot twists or other films set in-between 3 and 4
This is not good. It's stupid.
>>classic campy B movie vibes
No, just shit wibes.
>>immersive atmosphere
wew lad
>>decent practical effects
Nothing to write about considering the movies before it.
>>people still think of 3 more highly
3 is kino, 2 is shit.
>>
>>83295545
GOOD
>>
>>83309938
>I just find that stuff so fucking offensive. Not because I'm a bible beater, but because it diminishes the achievements of mankind.

It's just a movie man. He's just fictionalizing an answer to an interesting, albeit debunked, question. There should be nothing offensive about it, especially because it's not a documentary. It's more of a what if scenario.

Also, how does it diminish?
>>
File: lifeisgood.png (194KB, 239x312px) Image search: [Google]
lifeisgood.png
194KB, 239x312px
>>83308299
>They might as well have called this Alien: David.
>>
File: RidleyDoneFuckedUp.png (1MB, 1468x2048px) Image search: [Google]
RidleyDoneFuckedUp.png
1MB, 1468x2048px
>>83295810
If only Covenant was a David and Shaw movie then people might have actually liked it.
>>
>>83300450
So? The movie is still overrated

>Copies 1979 Alien but with Friday the 13th style
It doesn't even feel like a Ridley Scott movie but rather some fan made junk
>>
File: 1252136267.png (199KB, 331x503px) Image search: [Google]
1252136267.png
199KB, 331x503px
>$158.4 million
China may give this movie an extra 40 million or so otherwise holy shit that's such a bomb

>The Ghostbusters 2016 remake will have made more than this
AHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>83308239
>~$100 million to produce and at least another $30-50 million to market, meaning they need to net at least another $70 million to break even.
>That is not going to happen, with this terrible second weekend drop they won't even come close.
They will break even at this rate, just that it will be 5 years down the road (after TV, Disc, streaming sales and so on(, and that not what was hoped for.
>>
>both disney-produced films once again regain the boxoffice trophy
holy shit, how can we stop them?
>>
>>83296235
>kino
this is what Ridleyfags are believe
>>
>>83298528
The world doesn't need another Scott movie. I just hope he dies soon, so he can never disgrace the world with his hackery again.
>>
>>83318459
ESPN will, it is a 25 billion black hole that Disney is staying up late at night trying to figure out how it not going to kill the company.
>>
File: McWhiggin.png (155KB, 369x263px) Image search: [Google]
McWhiggin.png
155KB, 369x263px
>>83312169
No one cares.
>>
>>83295545
Ridley Scat
>>
File: hmmmm.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>mfw it already disappeared after only one week of showing
>>
>>83309137
It pretty much already was, only severe autists got buttflustered and couldn't separate the canons in their head.

Covenant fucked that direction over and swerved it back on to a collision course with the original film.
>>
Fassbender is finished
>>
>>83304853
People simply don't want to pay or waste their time on garbage. Marvel is the only brand that always delivers right now. Alien, Baywatch, Pirates, King Arthur and the rest are history--read it in a book.
>>
>>83317570
>>>people still think of 3 more highly
>3 is kino, 2 is shit.
My man. Only plebs like Aliens.
>>
>>83296235
"millenials" is a word that older millenials use to be "unique and different"
>>
>>83298528
>Does the world need another Alien movie?

Where everyone is retarded and know nothing about quarantine? It came out in March. It's called Life.

And no, no it doesn't.
>>
>>83300585

The next movie, which will never be made, will be just more robot psychopaths eviscerating Christians to please fedoralords, liberals, and SJWs.
>>
>>83315013
this
>>
>>83315013
>badly made movie

Prometheus wasnt badly made
>>
>>83318219
With another 40 million Alien would break even, wouldn't it?
Isn't the general rule that the movie needs to make back twice its budget?
>>
>>83305236
Ads aren't the only cost for advertising but it is indeed probably the biggest one
usually marketing is about 50% of budget
as they say the bigger the cap the bigger the peeling
>>
>>83295545
movie is shit anyway tbqh
>>
>>83304653
>James Franco.
box office poison
>>
>>83304853

You mean Alien #6, theme park ride #5, and 90s T&A show remake?

Don't look too much into it anon.
>>
>>83295545
shame cos it's the second best alien movie
>>
>>83307701
>an Alien reboot will come in a couple of years

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>83307848
>implying anything joss weedin touches is dope af
>>
File: 1494822277646.jpg (83KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494822277646.jpg
83KB, 1080x1080px
>>83307024
>Complain the treatment of the Alien's is overdone and overexposed
>Create something entirely original that succeeds tremendously on its own merits
>See some fucking normies comment on how they wanted to see more Alien
>'whelp the crowd has spoken looks like Prometheus was shit lads let's make a film that further overexposes the Alien'
I personally loved Covenant because it was atmospheric kino but if there's one thing that triggers me it's artists changing their visions because they read/heard some fucking normies complain. I personally loved Covenant but only because it's atmospheric kino. The stuff that happens in it mostly looks and sounds good but only in the moment. In the grand scheme of the prequel series, it makes no sense for it to exist. It's telling how the literal best bits of Covenant was when it directly relates to Prometheus. Everything else feels tacked on so fan service can take place. Scott is either a hypocrite or just plain senile.
>>
>>83309726
>Prometheus which was a 10/10 film.
lmfao
>>
>>83296235
I really hope you are using the term 'kino' ironically. Not that it hasn't become synonymous with 'trash' already.
>>
>So does this completely destroy Ridley Scott's plans to start filming a sequel next year?
Probably not, The Martian did so well that Fox will let Scott make at least one more bomb.
>>
>>83312879

This reminds me that when I was watching Alien: Covenant I wished I was watching HBO's Westworld instead.
>>
File: blade_runner_xlg.jpg (265KB, 998x1500px) Image search: [Google]
blade_runner_xlg.jpg
265KB, 998x1500px
>>83295545
This has happened before.
Doesn't mean a fucking thing.
>>
>>83307024
Scott is fucking hack, this series should have had nothing to do with the Alien franchise in the first place. The last mainline Alien film should have been 3, and then just retarded spinoffs like Alien vs Jack Frost or whatever. Instead we have this garbage where all the Alien related shit seems forced and out of place.
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 180x180px
>>83295545
Kinda happy, Covenant is one of the worst movies In recent memory.l

Scott is senile.
>>
>>83319892
Alien Covenant is NOT Blade Runner. It doesn't even approach Blade Runner. And I don't say that as a fanboy, Blade Runner's decent enough but not one of my faves. Covenant, outside of the parts featuring the xenomorph, was absolute garbage. I bet fans everywhere are glad that Scott won't be directing the Blade Runner sequel after seeing Covenant.
>>
>>83320109
>Blade Runner is NOT Alien. It doesn't even approach Alien. And I don't say that as a fanboy, Alien's decent enough but not one of my faves. Runner, outside of the parts featuring the Replicants, was absolute garbage. I bet fans everywhere are glad that Scott won't be directing the Alien sequel after seeing Blade Runner.

You circa 1982.
>>
>>83300668
I bet you 100 Internet's that Blomkapf Alien would at least be spectacular visually and /futuregadgetsdonerightkino/.
Fact is, Bloomkapf never had real budget where he could go all out.
Dist9 is great, Chappie has its charm and Elysium had horrible cast (good will hunting is so wrong for that movie)
>>
File: C A P E S.gif (2MB, 480x268px) Image search: [Google]
C A P E S.gif
2MB, 480x268px
>next Alien movie cancelled to make room for more capetrash

thanks a lot, Honest Trailers, Everything Wrong With, How It Should Have Ended, RLM, etc.
>>
>>83320109
Complete opposite, the movie started sucking when the Xenos showed up.
>>
>>83319402
visuals and photograph in prometheus are great
too bad everything else is shit
>>
Ridlely need to fuck off from this franchise if people still want Alien movies
otherwise, you can only keep expecting more trash with red shirts dying in the most retarded ways
>slips on blood
>TWICE
>>
>>83321844
Blood doesn't magically go away when you slip on it.
>>
File: 1495869011864.gif (1MB, 227x136px) Image search: [Google]
1495869011864.gif
1MB, 227x136px
>>83295545
IT NEEDED MORE BLACK MEN IN WHITE WOMAN SHOWER SCENES AND GAY KISSES OBVIOUSLY

IT WASN'T PROGRESSIVE

>IT WOULD HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER IF THERE WAS A COMMUNIST FLAG ON THE SHIP AND BERNIE SANDERS SUCKING OFF A BLM ACTIVIST
>>
>>83321844

>Alien movies aren't allowed to have humor
>>
>>83318160
The first movie had such potential he just needed to end it better people were just like

OMFG THEY ARE GOING TO TALK TO THE ALIENS.

WHAT IS HE GOING TO SAY?? THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD1/1/1/!!!

THEN NOTHING

PEOPLE SAID WAIT I PAID FOR THIS SHIT

If would have just gave something..... some answers. I might have paid to go and see the second one to see were the story goes. But I was like meh fuck this shit he will just fuck people over again and not answer jack.
>>
File: Prometheus-_Engineer_Angry.jpg (88KB, 776x518px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus-_Engineer_Angry.jpg
88KB, 776x518px
>>83322011
>this is what we got. 20 dollars for this
>>
>>83322011
So what you're saying is you're discarding the entire movie because a character didn't talk at the end? Are you retarded? Do you even know what movies are?
>>
>>83322036
How much of pleb do you have to be to throw a tantrum over not being spoonfed the simplest thing in the film?
>>
>>83304853
>I think this is just a sign of the theater business dying.

Also, you mothers fuckers forget that actors were protesting Trump. You got the fucking liberal elite out there shitting on white America. I know for a fact a lot of people are boycotting movies because they feel like they are not being respected by Holly wood.

How the fuck are they going to shit on the leader of the free world and the people that make up the back bone of the country and not expect some type of back lash.
>>
can someone post-it the memetic with the Engie looking at the monitor and then looking at me? it requires for my funnsies folder
>>
File: DJT_Headshot_V2_400x400.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
DJT_Headshot_V2_400x400.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>83322078

Two things people felt conned by the first one.

Then you have Hollywood protesting white Americans for voting Trump.

It is a perfect storm of go fuck yourself
>>
File: skoro2ngmojsflaqff4w.jpg (32KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
skoro2ngmojsflaqff4w.jpg
32KB, 620x470px
>>83322134
ANOTHER THING WHITE PEOPLE PAY TO WATCH FUCKING SCI-FI PROBABLY MORE THEN ANY OTHER RACE

LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN LORD OF THE RINGS

VIRTUALLY NO BLACKS LIKE THE ORCS ARE BLACK.

THE ORCS

PROMETHEUS HAD MY STOMACH TURNING WHEN THE BLACK CAPTAIN HAD TO GO ALL MUH DICK

THEN ALIENS HAD THE BLACK FEMALE WHITE WOMAN SHOWER SCENE

I WAS NOT GOING TO SPEND MY MONEY ON THAT BULL CRAP
>>
File: 1495978829769.jpg (75KB, 1080x787px) Image search: [Google]
1495978829769.jpg
75KB, 1080x787px
>>83322496
>*BLACK MALE

SERIOUSLY THOUGH I HOPE SOMEONE WHO MAKES THIS CRAP READS THIS AND GET SUICIDAL BECAUSE FUCK YOU
>>
>>83307024
>Ridley Scott pursued this idea because he felt that the Alien series lost its touch and was overdone and overexposed and as such wanted to try a different approach

Not wrong.
After Cameron's Aliens the franchise was shit until the Alien Isolation video game came around.
>>
>>83295908
>Fassbender was only in asscreed before this
>>
>>83321006
>next Alien movie cancelled to make room for more capetrash
Thanks a lot, Ridley Scott
>>
>>83323006
Scott's personal interest is really the only reason why the Alien (as opposed to the AvP crossovers) series was brought back after Resurrection. The cancelled Aliens sequel wouldn't even have existed if Prometheus hadn't been a modest success.
>>
>>83321906
yeah but she burned the coal and payed the toll
>>
>>83322496
who gives a shit
>>
>>83307024
>Ridley Scott pursued this idea because he felt that the Alien series lost its touch and was overdone and overexposed and as such wanted to try a different approach.

The problem is all the xenomorph mutants, which really began in Alien 3. Dog aliens! Human hybrids! Predaliens! Bloodbursters!
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Xenomorph_variants

The life cycle of the first movie was fine.
>>
>>83307024
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckk
>>
Going to watch it anyway
>>
>>83322663

Eh, I actually think Alien Resurrection was pretty good.
>>
File: 01.jpg (30KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
30KB, 480x300px
>>83324830
>I actually think Alien Resurrection was pretty good.
really?
>>
>>83324830
same here
>>
>>83295545
Shame the best one there is doing the worst, granted they're all crap...
>>
>>83295810
Capitalism is so based/
>>
>>83318160
Fucking this. All Ridley had to do was make Prometheuses: The Adventures of Shaw and David but no.
>>
Good. This means the gook screener will likely arrive early

I predict 3ish months from now or less
>>
>>83325947
>Prometheuses
Now that's a meme I haven't seen in a while
>>
>>83319292
wait, was life good? I haven't seen it.
>>
>>83321876
wearing heavy boots doesnt mean you slip on every little shit of spit
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.