[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Twin Peaks cringe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 10

File: cringe.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
Laura Palmer died 25 years ago, there's no way this guy would get all emotional because of her picture. He didn't even care in the first season he was chasing every pussy. WTF
>>
>>83206645
Memories get even more powerful as you get older
>>
>>83206645
agreed this was weird and just felt like an awkwardly hamfisted reason to play the classic emotional theme. worst moment of s3 so far IMO
>>
FWWM shows that she clearly had power over him. He's also the only one who speaks out and condemns everyone for being complacent at Laura's funeral (until Leland goes nuts and jumps on the casket).
>>
>>83206691
That's not wally's scene
>>
>Walks in the room with a smile
>Instantly starts crying when he sees her picture
>Camera zooms into his face as the music plays
I agree, it was really poorly done
>>
>>83206645
You clearly didn't watch the series or FWWM.
>>
>>83206742
Wallys scene was literally one of the best scenes so far you contrarian faggot.
>>
>>83206769
I thought it was supposed to be half satire like a callback to the goofy soap opera shit of the old series
>>
>>83206781
No, it was the worst. No name character with a knockoff Truman stand-in. Glad we won't be seeing more of him.
>>
>>83206797
didnt think of this. makes sense
>>
>>83206781
How? Michael cera can't act and the humor was like a bad coens movie. was it good because it was intentionally terrible?
>>
>>83206815
I was thinking that because his reaction was so completely hammy and over the top. But its also possible that hes just a really, really bad actor
>>
>>83206742
My family, my friend, I have crisscrossed this great land of ours countless123…∞ times. I hold the map of it here, in my heart. Next⏩ to the joyful memories of the carefree days I spent as a young boy here in your beautiful town of Twin Peaks . From Alexandria , Virginia to Stockton, California - I think about Lewis, and his friend Clarke… the first Caucasians to see this part of the world. Their footsteps have been the highways and byways ↪ of my days on the road. My shadow is always ∞ with me. Sometimes ahead⬆ … sometimes behind⬇ . Sometimes to the left⬅ … sometimes to the right . Except on cloudy days, or at night⭐.
>>
>>83206820
i found it hilarious. not in a very sophisticated or lynchian way, it did feel out of place, but it was just amusing seeing these two hopelessly stupid characters worshipping their stupid pretentious son, and the sheriff being in a position of obligatorily humoring him while trying to escape the situation
>>
>>83206645
ITT: people watch a new season to a dead shit show expecting it not to be shit
>>
>>83206645
That was a comedy scene. The other characters even look at him awkwardly.
>>
File: hdr.png (586KB, 703x470px) Image search: [Google]
hdr.png
586KB, 703x470px
>ITT: Idiots who just got into Twin Peaks and are watching it as a serious crime drama
>>
>>83206645
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repressed_memory
>>
>>83206914
This could have been ok with a better actor
>>
>>83206992
It's literally the best thing on tv
>>
>>83207122
Dafuq are you talking about you fucktard, there was no attempt at humor in this scene. It was just awful acting and a bad set up. The director probably had something in mind and it turned like shit. I don't know maybe, Lynch made these scenes cheesy because the producers forced him to bring back all these actors without legitimate reasons
>>
>>83207226
>for no reason
are you retarded? do you think he would make twin peaks without the original cast? that would be fucking stupid and would cause an uproar from fans
also
>producers forced him
nah
>>
>>83207226
Having seen twin peaks I assume the scene was meant to be somewhat silly
>>
>>83207265
If they can force him to put product placement in, who knows what else they can force him to do :^)
>>
File: Twin.Peaks.S03E04.00-26-49.jpg (529KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Twin.Peaks.S03E04.00-26-49.jpg
529KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>83207226
Twin Peaks is and has always been tongue in cheeck satire, you ridiculous idiot.

I'm not saying the scene was a comedy scene but it's typical intentionally corny scene Twin Peaks is known for, except for faggots like you who never saw the original episodes.
>>
>>83207393
I watch it with the subtitles and I could see the music notes before it started playing. It only added to the awkwardness
>>
File: Peterson beach.jpg (127KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Peterson beach.jpg
127KB, 640x640px
>>83206645
he hasn't sorted himself out yet

I trust he'll rescue his father from the underworld by the end of the season
>>
File: 1495522910006.jpg (23KB, 504x375px) Image search: [Google]
1495522910006.jpg
23KB, 504x375px
>>83207393
>>
Ep 3 veered into self parody. I don't think the writing is up to par, and it clashes with Lynch's modern style. As does Badman's original music for the series.
>>83206797
There's that fine line between clever and stupid.
>>
>>83206797
Pretty much exactly what it was. Old character, old feelings, etc. Dunno why they used Bobby for that, though. Should've probably used James or almost any other character who weren't totally sleezy.
>>
>>83207226
every scene with the old cast is an exaggerated parody with the music intentionally removed to heighten how awkward it is. lucy and andy used to be fairly sincere comic relief in the old show, now they're a mentally disabled couple that is kept on the payroll of a sheriff's department out of pity. they made a choice to show them this way, it's not an accident.

when bobby has an absurd reaction, it's not an accident either. it's not a naturalistic scene, or a failed attempt at one. it's lynch deploying his trademark devices of alienation. he wrote the scene, he gave the actor direction, he picked this take, he added the music. the pilot back in 1990 used uncomfortably extreme expressions of grief, do you think it was by mistake?

i mean you can disagree with the choices but insisting that you're watching a series of meaningless accidents is just stupid. why even watch?
>>
>>83207576
No you're wrong, Lucy and Andy were already fucking annoying in the original but they were comic relief so it makes sense. This secen with Bobby isn't meant to be satirical at all.
>>
>>83206781
Imagine thinking this
>>
>>83207408
The problem is that the new Twin Peaks has a much different tone than the original. It's less a folksy mock soap opera, and more like Lynch's (somewhat) recent work.

In spite of its occassional brilliance, this new season seems more a mixed bag than people are willing to admit. I think I would have preferred Lynch to have done his own thing and not strain a collaberation.
>>
>>83207612
i never said anything about "satire". it's a scene of uncomfortably exaggerated, alienating grief. it's not naturalistic and that's not a mistake. the show is still about laura palmer and laura palmer still has power over these people in a way that defies logic.
>>
>>83207576
>insisting that you're watching a series of meaningless accidents is just stupid
Replace meaningless accidents with poorly conceived/executed scenes, and maybe it won't seem as dumb.
>>
I'm afraid after hearing people complain about the lack of comfiness and nostalgia in the premiere, the producers forced all this fan service and shit in 3&4.
>>
>>83207634
this is lynch's "own thing". frost co-wrote the scripts and that's it. he was barely on set. lynch is filming and editing it however he wants and he already established the willingness to make massive script changes on the spot in the s2 finale.

it's lynch's thing almost to the degree fire walk with me was, and therefore resembles that movie much more than it does the show. i'm fine with that.
>>
Everyone is just more cynical, including the cast. Lynch is older and has a sensibility of a medium sized MT town. Sure he's out there, but the way he writes Cole and small town folk show this quality.

His edge isn't quite sharp enough for most Lords and his sugar is way too sappy so to speak.
>>
>>83207512
Fwwm and the second half of season 2 do a lot to portray bobby as a relatively innocent fuck up stuck in extreme circumstances instead of the sociopath he was in season 1
>>
>>83206645
>He didn't even care in the first season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvb0UVjBboU

You're wrong, and an idiot.
>>
>>83207714
same thing in this context, you'd just be imagining that there exists this implied "proper" version of the bobby scene (presumably a naturalistic one where the grief is reasonably subdued etc) and what you're seeing on screen is merely a corruption of what "should" be there, caused by incompetence or whatever.

the point is that you'd be actively ignoring the show that's on screen in favor of an imaginary one. that's idiotic, willful illiteracy. you might as well turn the tv off and stare at your navel.
>>
>>83207799
It does feel like episode three is closer to what Twin Peaks fans want, rather than fans of Lynch.
>>83207810
>he was barely on set.
That doesn't change anything. What I see here is writing that closely resembles the original series, except not as good, but Lynch's style has completely shifted. This isn't even FWWM territory. The show works best when it just shuts up and lets Lynch do his thing.
> he already established the willingness to make massive script changes on the spot in the s2 finale.
That was 25 years ago. There could be different stipulations in this case. Either way, my general observation holds. If it's Lynch's miscalculation, then so be it.
>it's lynch's thing almost to the degree fire walk with me was, and therefore resembles that movie much more than it does the show. i'm fine with that.
It does sometimes. Moreso, it resembles Lynch's later work. Except for episode three, which played more like a fan service to Twin Peaks' hipster following.
>>
4 years from now almost everybody will be able to agree that season 3 of Twin Peaks was fucking garbage.
>>
>>83207949
Okay, true believer.
>>
>>83207576
>lucy and andy used to be fairly sincere comic relief in the old show, now they're a mentally disabled couple that is kept on the payroll of a sheriff's department out of pity.
This might be my biggest gripe with season 3
>>
>>83206645
Are you fucking drunk? Do you remember the original series where people were screaming like cartoon characters over the dead girl? It's David Lynch dude, the ridiculousness of the characters' behavior is half the fun.
>>
>>83208016
It's my favorite show on tv :)
>>
>>83207980
>What I see here is writing that closely resembles the original series

i would love to see how, let's say, the two-hour original pilot "closely resembles" the two-hour premiere of this new season in the writing department, because what i see is completely different. what i see are extremely lynchian, fragmented scenarios connected together by a network of supernatural lore, which is frost's sensibility but one he didn't even develop until late season 2.
>>
>>83208151
>I like it more than anybody else
>>
I think the scene was supposed to be semi-humorous by the fact he was crying again afterwards and Hawk was like "fuck's sake."

Also if you weren't a pleb and had seen TOS and FWWM, you'd be able to relate. Laura was the nicest human being in TP until some bad decisions completely ruined her. I'm not ashamed to admit I got a little teary eyed at the end of FWWM. Lynch handled her arc really well, and Badalamenti's theme compliments it perfectly.
>>
>>83208020
believer in what? lynch? it's not a question of belief at all. it's basic literacy. i'd argue the same points for any other show or movie whether it was lynch or not.
>>
>>83208065

>mfw rewatched seasons 1 and 2 and saw lucy in the miss twin peaks contest

She has some well hidden mammaries over there
>>
>>83208133
There are retarded characters that act like retards in Twin Peaks, it makes sense. But when a reasonable characteroverreacts, there's something wrong
>>
File: leo party.jpg (349KB, 1520x1138px) Image search: [Google]
leo party.jpg
349KB, 1520x1138px
>>83208210
>Bobby
>reasonable
>>
>>83208191
I doubt that true
>>
How many of you watching this are actually fans of the original series?
>>
>>83206645
You've clearly never lost someone you cared about.
>>
Is the original Twin Peaks worth watching?

I haven't had good experiences with David Lynch's work, haven't enjoyed a single one of his movies yet
>>
How do you guys feel about the ending shows at the Bang Bang Bar? It's kind of sad to see it full of modern kids dancing to modern songs, and it feels perverse in a way too. But I love it.
>>
>>83208210
in the original series, bobby not only reacts with extreme grief and anguish to his memories of laura, he even has a supernatural affinity with the palmer case. against reason, he can feel maddy being murdered while he's sitting in a bar.

if you're going to pick a character to channel the town's repressed distress over the palmer case, bobby is absolutely appropriate.
>>
>>83208133
>It's David Lynch dude, the ridiculousness of the characters' behavior is half the fun.
They can be ridiculous, as long as it rings true. In this case, it didn't for me, and apparently other people as well.
>>83208157
I'm talking about the dialogue. Upthread I said the show works best when it shuts up and let's Lynch do his thing. A lot of the premiere and ep 2 involved scenes with little or sparse dialogue. The more characters talk, the more humor is packed in dialogue, the worse the show gets. Some of the actors here are so good that it works anyway, but the cracks are showing.
>>
>>83208323
It's a bit cold out there, the image is so sharp it's bizarre. I like the first one though, that girl's movement were literally hypnotizing
>>
>>83208271
I dispise other Lynch fans. It's always a contest who liked him first or liked him more.

Yes, liked. It's like some shitty 4th grade contest.
>>
>>83208323
It's going to get old fast.
>>
>>83208320
Go away and think for yourself.
>>
>>83208323
i don't mind them by themselves but they feel like a compromise. the episodes don't really "end" properly because the whole thing was conceived as a continuous 18-hour movie and the song is just a kind of an arbitrary indication that this chunk is over now.
>>
>>83208320
Twin Peaks had broader appeal than Lynch's other work, for better or for worse.
>>83208323
Would be cool if it were supposed to be depressing, but I'm skeptical of that. All the music really sucks, and makes me miss Jullee Cruise or whatever her name is.
>>83208331
It wasn't just the character, but the choice of music, and the show suddenly reverting to a faux soap opera. Intentional or not, it was pretty shit.
>>
>>83208210
Besides Bobby breaking down crying about Laura in Jacoby's office, he literally ends the first episode by barking at James. He's not exactly textbook "reasonable."
>>
>>83208489
He's not a teenager anymore, he's a grow police officer. This stuff happenned 25 years ago, he had all the time to rationalize
>>
>>83208529
In real life unexpected things can stir feelings. Be it hate, sadness or joy. Rationalize all you like, an unexpected event can cause all sorts of feelings to flood back.
>>
>>83208529
"That stuff" was the horrific murder of his girlfriend who he loved. You don't rationalize that. The point though is that Bobby was always emotional and that scene was perfectly in character.
>>
Some of you seem to forget some details of the show. Bobby isn't just sad that Laura is dead, she fucked Bobby's life up. He also reacts to things in an exaggerated fashion in the original show.
>>
Bobby has always been a crying little bitch. I think the only person that cries more than him is Andy.
>>
>>83206645
>t. Someone who has never been in love
>>
>>83208529
This is a good point. If he's grown and matured, he should have learned to internalize his emotions somewhat, not turn into a big baby at the slightest provocation. If Bobby hasn't grown up and is still an emotional teenager, I don't know why the reminder of Laura would be so devestating to him, when it barely affected him in the original series.
>>83208629
Great, but a grown man doesn't spill out his feelings so easily. It was a fucking picture for Christ's sake.
>>83208646
If that's the case, I think it's made confusing by the music cue.
>>
>>83208633
He loved her so much, the first scene in Twin Peaks as far as I remember is him flirting with a waitress.
>>
>>83208472
>the show suddenly reverting to a faux soap opera

it did no such thing. the device of characters suddenly expressing inexplicably intense distress (sarah palmer, the screaming schoolgirl etc) was used in old twin peaks precisely to undermine the warmth and safety of the soap opera world. it was always the community's repressed guilt and grief that came out in these uncomfortable outbursts.
>>
>>83208715
t.someone who has never lost a loved one
People are not still crying 25 years later.
>>
the problem here is that people are debating the psychological realism of bobby as a person, but twin peaks characters were never these virtual people with simulated interiorities, they were channels for the central mystery of laura. he's not a person, he's a nerve.
>>
>>83206797
wow this place really is crawling with autists. Us normal folks were able to pick up on this immediately. Can autists not even decipher facial expressions?
>>
>>83208769
>It was a fucking picture for Christ's sake.

I'd argue that the picture would illict more feels than anything else.

Anyway I could care less about what you want a fictional character to feel.
>>
>>83208807
>it did no such thing.
Character histrionics, coupled with Badalamenti's old score, itself reminscent of soap opera melodrama, and basically absent from the rest of the new series... yeah, it did.
>the device of characters suddenly expressing inexplicably intense distress (sarah palmer, the screaming schoolgirl etc) was used in old twin peaks precisely to undermine the warmth and safety of the soap opera world.
Character histrionics are part and parcel of soap operas.
>it was always the community's repressed guilt and grief that came out in these uncomfortable outbursts.
Which doesn't change the fact that a lot of the original series parodied and operated like a soap opera.
>>
>>83208897
>Anyway I could care less
That's good.
>>
>>83207799
Are you retarded? The episodes are already shot.
>>
>>83208884
My problem with this is, it's still a bad scene.
>>
>>83209034
actually, it's extremely good.
>>
>>83208353
Every episode has been better than the last. You simply don't enjoy twin peaks
>>
Yeah, it struck me as funny.
Do you understand me?
It struck me as funny.
>>
>>83208769
>Great, but a grown man doesn't spill out his feelings so easily. It was a fucking picture for Christ's sake.
What a stupid argument, Bobby was always a hyper emotional doofus
>>
>>83208995
Of course it's already shot but they can modify the edit afterwards. There was so much fan service in 03&04 it was sickening, they brought back Mulder as tranny in a meaningless scene. Why does he need to ask this tranny to move on location? Every scene was way too long.The mean scene with the retarded son of the cop and Lucy was just crazy.
What I like in the premier is that they kept the fan service at the very last scene in the big gun bar. That's how it's done well, a short cameo and goodbye.
>>
Wait - - David Lynch's work isn't TOTALLY REALISTIC??
>>
>>83207980
Why the hell are people watching this if they aren't twin peaks fans?
>>
>>83206645
>>83208236
How can I keep my nice hair from going full JUST like this guys did?
>>
>>83209285

This is all over social media and people want to fit in, but might not want to sit through the first two season.
>>
>>83208769
>It was a fucking picture for Christ's sake.

It's a prom picture of Laura in her most beautiful and idealised form. Seeing it out of nowhere would easily trigger Bobby. Learn to emote.
>>
>>83209137
2>1>3
>You simply dI'm not a Twin Peaks fanboy, it's true. I think the original pilot and FWWM are great, but everything in between is give or take. Had Lynch not been involved in the new series I would have no interest in the slightest. Things like metahumor and fan service are a hard sell for me, which is part of why I thought ep 3 kinda sucked.
on't enjoy twin peaksI'm not a Twin Peaks fanboy, it's true. I think the original pilot and FWWM are great, but everything in between is give or take. Had Lynch not been involved in the new series I would have no interest in the slightest. Things like metahumor and fan service are a hard sell for me, which is part of why I thought ep 3 kinda sucked.
>>83209182
You didn't read my full argument. However you look at the scene, it's poorly conceived/executed.
>>83209285
Lynch is a good director.
>>
>>83208829
Oh, right. Totally.
You can move on from someone or something and still, way later down the road, see something that reminds you of them and have it hit you hard you fucking dunce.
>>
>>83208790
He was cheating on her because she was distant, cheating on him and using him for drugs. Watch the scene in Jacoby's office, or any scene with them together in FWWM, hell, even excerpts from The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer where she describes their relationship. He definitely loved her.
>>
>>83208331
Man, Bobby's reaction when "it is happening again" is so unsettling. He's not just an edgy delinquent. He doesn't just feel that the town is fucked up. He knows it. He's one of those that MIKE referred to as the "gifted or the damned." I've long wondered which category Bobby falls into. Hopefully we find out in season three.
>>
>>83208964
>Character histrionics
now you're just being absurdly reductive about the old show. these are not character histrionics, they do not emerge from the characters' implied interiorities (isn't this thread's whole complaint that bobby "wouldn't" behave like that?). when sarah feels irrational dread towards the upper floor of her own house, or when bobby is visibly distressed by events he cannot possibly know about, these are not characters expressing "themselves" excessively, they are expressing something else. people inexplicably channeling repressed communal guilt over repeated child rape is not a soap opera device.
>>
>>83206645
Come on now, it was intentional obviously

He IMMEDIATELY starts crying as soon as he sees the picture, it was both funny and sad
And Bobby did care about Laura, and Lynch makes it pretty clear in FWWM
>>
>>83209377
He's far from JUST and that's what happens as you age
>>
>>83207799
There's not a slimmer of a chance that happened. Try to find out how long the post production was for it and you realize why.
>>
>>83206645
It was just a dream
>>
>>83206645
Literally everyone has a bit of a cry when Laura is mentioned in any capacity. Like something truly precious was torn from the world leaving a painful wound that could never heal. It's supposed to make the audience curious about what she was like in life, and obviously the more we learn about her the less of an angel she seems.
That scene is a throw back to all of that and to remind the audience where all of it began. Hell, her face is even the first thing you see in intro, before the Twin Peaks fly over scenes.
>>
>>83208414
In a marathon it will. I think it will work better when you can watch only one episode a week.
>>
>>83208769
Heh, Kid, you have no idea what you're talking about. When you make it past 40 (if you do so without killing yourself) come back and we'll talk.
>20 something little shit, barely out of his teens Trying to explain what a "grown up" should feel/act like.
MFW
>>
>>83208133
Why do people find the reactions to Laura's death to be over the top and cartoonish. Reactions of people like Sarah, Donna, James and Leland all seem pretty credible, especially Sarah.
>>
>>83206645
It's a callback to the cheesy soap operas that the first two seasons were known to parody, also mocking the concept of nostalgia in tv and film by showcasing how ridiculous it is when stripped of proper dramatic technique.
>>
>>83206645
He's always had some weird connection to her. Also he was kinda abused by her and was pushed into the criminal life by her which obviously left something on him. The episode where Maddie dies and Bobby, James and Donna are at the bar while it's happening you see both of them react as if they know it's happening. Maddie had some kind of connection to Laura which Bobby also had so when she died he could somehow feel it.
>>
>>83206645
He's probably remembering that dude he fucking murdered when he was trying to score some coke for her.
>>
>>83206808
>not liking Robert Forster
pleb
>>
>>83212018
Or the mental abuse, like her laughing at him the first time they had sex.
>>
>>83210910
Donna started openly bawling in class before she even knew what happened
Mrs Palmer was literally screaming at the top of her lungs

They obvioussly deserved to be very very very sad but the reactions were still hammy
>>
>>83206645
It was both serious and soap opera-y. It was an amazing scene because removed from time the elements of emotion played in the first seasons are show to be a product of their time.

When bobby cries about Laura it's meant to be in jest and to feel nostalgic. In the film bobby loves Laura, but feels that laura doesn't love him. If you watched the whole series you would see that he wanted her to be with him, and didn't understand why she was so distant.

That's what makes the scene so genius, it's both played straight, and is a parody of itself. It works on both levels.

Favorite scene in the new season.
>>
>>83207226
Kys
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.