[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did John Williams drop the ball on this so hard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

Why did John Williams drop the ball on this so hard?
>>
>>83200130
because everyone else did?
>>
>>83200179
fpbp
>>
>>83200130

I thought he did great, but he didn'[t make any music too great because there wasn't anything to inspire him. The music in ep 3 is amazing because he scenes he scored were something that moved him. Ep 7.....was flat
>>
>>83200130
JJ told him to go slower, less intense
>>
>>83200323
I bet he was really moved at the I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND scene.

The score was ok, but the only track that really sticks out was Rey's theme, and maybe the Resistance theme.

John Williams doesn't really do writing anymore, or hasn't for decades.. He kinda noodles an idea on a piano and lets a bunch of his understudies write the whole thing.
>>
He only puts in the amount of effort everyone else puts in. This is the key to realizing George cared when he made the prequels even though they were bad and JJ didn't care when he made TFA.

Actually, he did care, about making lots of money, and guess what? That's exactly what it did.
>>
>>83200130
He didn't you can't score a shit directed shitfest when the director can't make a film breathe like a human
>>
>>83200130
Bad instructions from Abrams
>>
>>83200570
>Reys Theme
>sticks out

sorry but nothing in that movie stuck out
>>
File: 1433551054935.jpg (503KB, 1026x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1433551054935.jpg
503KB, 1026x1600px
>>83200570
Agree with this anon

https://youtu.be/ueqKtype7Kk
is pretty good/memorable

THAT IS ONE HELL OF A PILOT
>>
File: image.jpg (452KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
452KB, 1600x1200px
You know the mouse couldn't get the LSO, right? They used a pickup band. Who knows how it would sounds if they used the Boston Orchestra or the LSO. The OST was noticeably poor though...
>>
>>83201286
That wasn't the biggest problem. The only difference the LSO would have made was making the music sharper and more powerful, but the music would still be boring and forgettable.
>>
>>83200130
The soundtrack was good. I don't know what you are talking about. If you compare it to any of the soundtracks from the prior 6 films, it's not much different. If anything, it's strikingly similar to A New Hope Soundtrack.
>>
>>83201520
it's not bad exactly, just forgettable.
>>
>>83200130
I liked few of its tracks, but it seems his best work is behind him.
Openimg with First order attack, battle at Maz place, and arrival on Lukes platen scores were good.
Best track was left behind for some reason. Im talking about the trailer #3 score.
>>
>>83200130
he had open heart surgery and dumbass Abrams didn't get another composer to help him out.
>>
Sadly I think it's a case of the movie failing him rather than the other way round.

There are a few truly emotional and good scenes were the music is used to great effect, but these moments are few and far between.

- All of the Kylo Ren / Dark Side music is good, subtle and ominous when it needs to be, loud and commanding otherwise. These scenes and characters being the most compelling in the movie.
- Rey walking to / giving the lightsaber to Luke. good score, good scene.
- Rey pulling Anakin's Lightsaber to her.
- From memory most of the Resistance plane emergence / dog fight music was quite good.

Unfortunately Rey and Finn are such unconvincing and dull characters.
>>
Because the movie was total shit.
Did you guys know that John Williams ripped off his Star Wars score from a british musician Gustav Holst "the planets"? Williams is worth $250 millions, I wonder if Holst's whereabouts can sue him, they would be smart to do so.

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pM2SozsyPE
>>
>>83206169
Holst has been dead for almost a century
>>
>>83206642
So what, Picasso family are making a fortune with his copyrights, why wouldn't Holst's family benefit from a blatant copy of his works. Try copying something owned by Disney and see what happens to you.
>>
>>83200130
Kylo's theme sucks. It's a lame version of Vader's theme (so I guess it actually makes sense since Kylo is like an unironic lame version of Vader).
>>
>>83200130
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>83200130
The score was so bland. If they're going to churn out crap, at least give the composers more time, or you end up with Michael "Tatooine antics music during Darth Vader reveal" Giacchino.
>>
>>83206735
Yes Kylo's theme is quite awful, it's very cheap and uninspired. The only good track is the Jedi steps, all the rest is generic crap for a genreic movie. WIlliams immediatlety realized JJ and KK were uncultured hacks. He probably did the score in one week
>>
File: haytham.png (351KB, 717x435px) Image search: [Google]
haytham.png
351KB, 717x435px
>>83203514
He didn't write the trailer 3 score.
>>83204887
>Rey pulling Anakin's Lightsaber to her.
That was the only memorable part of the score for me until I realised he pulled it STRAIGHT from a new hope when the farm is burning.
>>
>unironically listening to capeshit OST
wow.
>>
because he's a hack lol
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.