[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good movies with bad endings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: i like movie.jpg (39KB, 383x359px) Image search: [Google]
i like movie.jpg
39KB, 383x359px
What are some great films that end like this?
>>
>bad

The Rover
>>
>>83170386
NCFOM has a great ending you faggot.
>>
Picture unrelated
>>
>>83170880
But I wanted him to marry Norma Jean and then turn himself in as a changed man.
>>
the movie is pure nihilism
it's the sort of movie that fucks you up if you dwell on it
>>
>>83172360
>pure nihilism
Nope. A "purely nihilistic" film would be something like "No Pain, No Gain" where the whole thing is just a nasty, cruel experience with zero point whatsoever.
NCFOM ends with Bell's father going to "light a fire somewhere out in all that cold and all that dark". It's a message of hope - that even in an incredibly dark and cold world there may be something better, there may be some "light".
>>
>>83171053
Lol faggot.
>>
>>83170386
>>83171053
>NCFOM's ending was bad
There's no better pleb test than this.

>>83172360
>the movie is pure nihilism
All of McCarthy's works are like this. A crushing weight of hopelessness and then a tiny tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel. The Road and Blood Meridian are the same.
>>
>>83172434
>It's a message of hope - that even in an incredibly dark and cold world there may be something better, there may be some "light".
Most translate the ending as Ed Tom giving up, with the possibility of seeing his father when he dies as the only slim consolation.
>>
>>83170386
one flew over the cuckoos nest
brazil
das boot
grave of the fireflies
solondz's dark horse
midnight cowboy
the hunt
the long goodbye
chinatown

all those dont necessarily end on a good note
>>
>>83172446
>McCarthy's works are like this

I've only read Suttree and the Road, bout half way through Blood Meridian. I would say they are all very different books. Obviously similar tone, language and style but in terms of the message they deliver? I believe he can still be quite a diverse author despite people trying to pigeonhole his works. I think trying to label him is a response to how complex and maybe even lacking themes are in his writings.

In terms of the No Country film, I'd agree with the other anon saying that there is a light on the hill in the closing dialogues but I think the whole thing is supposed to represent the futility of mans hope in the face of such unrelenting darkness. The only reason we exist is because we hope and that is depressing because we can never prevail
>>
>>83172446
I don't recall a light at the end of the tunnel in Blood Meridian beyond the knowledge that we did, eventually, conquer the west
>>
>>83172680
>I don't recall a light at the end of the tunnel in Blood Meridian beyond the knowledge that we did, eventually, conquer the west
That's a misinterpretation of the epilogue. The same cause/effect that the Judge used to justify all of the wanton violence and murder throughout the novel is now the same force that's fencing in the old west, making it safer, decreasing violence. It, and Glanton's internal campfire monologue, are the only rebuttals against the Judge given through the entire book.
>>
>>83172534
>One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
It was fairly optimistic.
>>
>>83170386
Every movie directed by Danny Boyle.
>>
>>83173738
If you consider that fairly optimistic, I don't want to even know what you consider tragic.
>>
>>83170386
Almost all of William Friedkin's films end like this
>>
>>83170664
>>83170880
Said the plebs.
>>
>>83170386
>>83170664
4chan is 18+ only, you know?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.