[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This fucking guy singlehandedly ruined The Office

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
This fucking guy singlehandedly ruined The Office
>>
>>83162969
That's not Will Ferrell
>>
File: ACE.webm (321KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ACE.webm
321KB, 480x360px
>>83162969
>>
>>83162969
Robert California was great.
>>
>>83162969
He was the most interesting new character of the later seasons, though.
>>
File: idris-elba-the-office-640x320.jpg (20KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
idris-elba-the-office-640x320.jpg
20KB, 640x320px
i think you mean stronk black men
>>
Kathy Bates was awful
The redheaded british chick was perhaps the worst character in television history.
>>
Steve Carell's departure ruined The Office. Everything after that was like a series of stingers that just refused to end gracefully.
>>
>>83162969
He was a redeeming quality after the show was far past redemption.

Season 3 is what ruined The Office, by the way.
>>
>>83162969
steve carrell single handedly ruined the office
>>
Hunter single handedly saved the office
>>
>>83163054

Idris Elba
>>
>>83162969
That's not Ed Helms
>>
>>83163216
His character, you mean. What the writers did to Andy was fucking awful.
>>
File: jimpam1stkiss.jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
jimpam1stkiss.jpg
22KB, 400x300px
>>83162969
the office ended with this scene

then came zombie office
>>
The problem with the last seasons was all in the writers room. It's honestly a miracle they were able to find so many Michael replacements who were able to make up for the weak writing with amazing character performances.
>>
>>83163245
He's also generally unfunny, and kept doing that awful thing where he pulled his face back.
>>
>>83162969
The office was pretty good most of the way through. The first season was just a bland recycled version of the British office, but the second season it found its tone and got way better.

I liked Mike's chemsitry with Jan (that's really the kind of woman a guy like Mike would need to get the most out of life). Jim and Pam were cute but once it became a sure thing and they married, the magic was gone, it just became going through the motions. Ed Helm's character is just horribly obnoxious and the more we got of him the worst the show got.

And then once Mike Scott quit the show became abysmal. I watched every episode before that point but I maybe only watched 5 of the last season and they were really bad..... though I did like Dwight's marriage in the finale. They could have included that material before Mike left and it would have been worthwhile.

My favorite was always Dwight by miles.
>>
>>83163428
who the fuck is Mike?
>>
The main problem was that the writing just went off the rails once Steve Carell left. You can tell that the show had ended once he got on that plane, even if it took everyone working on it 2 more seasons to realize it.

In the later seasons they also started trying to flesh out existing characters that really weren't asking to be fleshed out (Andy) or adding new characters so quickly you could tell they were running out of ideas.

>>83163428

>Jim and Pam were cute but once it became a sure thing and they married, the magic was gone, it just became going through the motions.

I'd say the beginning of the end was this. Once Jim and Pam got hitched, a lot of wind got knocked out of the show's sails for me.
>>
>>83163315
Will Farell was actually genius in the manager's role. Had they have cast him permanently I suspect it would be even better than the Michael Scott seasons and it could have continued for a few seasons longer.... but sadly it was just a cameo.
>>
>>83163289
season 4 gets a pass because it has the best episode of the series and i will watch to season 6. S1-3 are definitely golden era though
>>
My favourite episode was where James took over Michael's role as manager and made all the same mistakes as Michael. At the end of the episode they had a moment of camaraderie.
>>
>>83162969
That's not every episode after The Deposition
>>
>>83162969
Don't even know who this guy is. It definitely got bad before this when I stopped watching
>>
>>83163608
>Will Farell was actually genius
I will never trust anonymous again
>>
>>83163216
Andy became absolutely repulsive in the later seasons, and the writers finally realized it, which is why they turned him an unsalvageable prick in the final season.
>>
>>83163591
I vaguely recall this incredibly drawn out bit of physical comedy between Dwight and Kevin in the first episode without Steve Carell that went on forever and was painfully unfunny. I have no idea what sort of contracts they had or if some writers took off with him, but the show drops like a stone without him.
>>
Robert California was based

for some reason his name is very funny to me
>>
BJ Novak getting the corporate job is what killed The Office.
>>
>>83163729
Well, here's the thing bro. I agree with what you're implying that Will Farrell is typically a dumbass buffoon in low brow comedies. But he really does have odd moments of really good comedic brilliance.... this was one of them.

He fit the role of the office baboon far better than Carrell actually. The episode or two we got of him showed a lot of potential.

I think those episodes about searching for a new manager were sort of parallelling the studios real life search for a new boss and they were trying out different guys for an episode or two at a time to see how they fit.

And Farell fit phenomenally. I was really disappointed when he was wrote out like an episode and a half later.
>>
>>83163748
This. Evil Andy in season 7 was such an improvement over milquetoast Andy. He was just a charisma black hole.
>>
>>83163105
>season 3
>ruined the show
but season 4 was the best season
>>
They should have promoted Creed Bratton to fill Mike's spot. I would have tuned in every week for eternity
>>
>>83163748
Andy was made to be a horribly obnoxious character. He did it so incredibly that I tend to hate him when I see him just due to this role.

He was meant to be so obnoxious he's laughable but he genuinely made me hate him.

And the more we got of Andy the worst the show got. When he was boss the show was at an all time low.

Dwights a jackass, but he's a likable and charming jackass and he has a unique brand of crazy. Andy is a jackass too, but he has no redeeming features.

Andy ruined the office. When he was just an ancillary character it was fine, but his screen time is directly proportional to the suckage of the show.
>>
I've been rewatching the series for the first time, and it's even better now. A lot of social topics can be viewed in hindsight, and it makes it funnier to me.
>>
>>83163054
He was based though, he BTFO Jim
>>
>>83163801
Why did he get so much screen time?
>>
>>83163942
Tuna!
>>
>>83163972
He was a writer.
>>
>>83163896
BOBODDY
BO-BODDY
>>
>>83163896

No. Creed, like Andy, was best as an orbiting character. His oddball traits and disturbing moments were better as breaks in the rest of the show's action.
>>
>>83163896
It would be 30 minutes of Creed tripping acid and staring at the wall while he responds to everyone as though they were Alice in Wonderland characters.

I actually began this post with the notion that it's a bad idea, but now that I think about it, that could be pretty awesome.

>It's a Creed has an elderly coke orgy in the break room episode.
>>
>>83163942
>>83163974
RU DO DO DO
>>
Because he should have been the manager, kicking him into CEO with the dumbest explanation ever and putting Diet Michael in charge of the branch was full fucking retard.
>>
>>83163944
>that scene where Kelly gets called into Michael's office because she did something wrong
>"I was raped!"
>"No, Kelly, you can't keep saying that and make all your problems go away, not again."
>>
>>83163942
>Andy ruined the office. When he was just an ancillary character it was fine, but his screen time is directly proportional to the suckage of the show.
but BONER CHAMP XDD

I think the NBC execs were just trying to cash in on the Hangover hype to save their show
>>
>>83162969
because the office(us) was not shit to begin with like 99% of sitcom.
>>
>>83163990
Novak and Kaling understood their characters and writing for their characters. Some of the best episodes were written by them, and their characters have little screen time.
>>
>>83164073
>not again
So many of those lines written for Michael are still hilarious. And Carrel executed the charcter perfectly. It just wasn't as good without him. Imagine Gervais leaving the UK version, and them continuing for 4 seasons without him. Gervais executed that character perfectly, as well.
>>
>>83164198
Carrel does the honesty aspect so well.
>>
>>83163289

In her head, The Office never ended and Emily Blunt is just another Karen.
>>
>>83163801
You are so incredibly wrong. BJ Novak as the corporate boss was the best string of episodes. And it really set the stage for a really fun dynamic. He was the intern always getting punked by Michael and then he gets his business degree and lords it over him. The episodes about Dunder Mifflin Infinity are the best ones.

I think had that dynamic continued for the rest of the series it would have been great.

But as is usual for the office, they frequently tried to switch up a winning formula to see if they could make it better and it failed.... such as Jim being the boss, Andy being the Boss, all those guys in the interim, etc.
>>
>>83164232

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXk6PEgTBMo
>>
>>83163647
What ep is best, do you think, Anon?
>>
>Michael following the GPS to the point where he drives into a lake
How does /tv/ feel about this scene?
>>
>my math teacher once told me I'd never pass algebra.
>but you know what I did, that very same day?
>I went out and scored more goals in one hockey game than anyone else at my high school ever did.

this was treated like just something stupid michael scott said but it actually makes sense if you think about it.
>>
>>83164232
I was thinking about something similar earlier today. throughout the first 5 seasons, everyone (Oscar, Meredith, Angela, etc) talked shit about Dunder Mifflin and how badly the company is run, and yet DM's employee retention, for Scranton at least, seemed to be very good, with avg employment of over 10 years. then as soon as Michael left, there was like 5 managers and a bunch of new people who came and left within a season
>>
>>83164344

Realistic. Every so often you hear of this happening. Last time I heard this blurb about a guy in Germany who drove his car into a bank because of his GPS.
>>
>>83164130
It's true. Some of the very best moments (I'm talking like 2-3 literal seconds) in the entire show are the camera zooming in on Novak or Mindy's reactions. BJ has major talent, and his timing is "you-cant-teach-that" perfect.
>>
>>83164436
bzzzzzzzzzzzt WRONG.
The the best moments are the lingering shots on Michael Scott after he says something which he thinks is wise and insightful.
>>
The worst failure was when the writers decided to make it so that the camera crew would interact with the characters. And that the documentary was going to be released and everyone had to be like "but oh shit you have our secrets!!!!" Fucking ridiculous. You can't just have the documentary aspect just be treated as a comic device for 90% of the show, then make it an actual documentary at the very end.
>>
>>83164344
This was the first episode I saw. My friend showed it to me, and I thought I was witnessing one of the all time tv classic shows like dick van dyke or cheers.

Hilarious scene, and one that will always have fun memories for me.

>A MACHINE TRIED TO KILL ME
>>
>>83164465
This anon is correct, and it makes me chuckle just visualizing it.
>>
>>83164436
... You mean the editor's timing is "you-cant-teach-that" perfect?

children up in here don't even understand how much of comedy is created in post.
>>
I've just been watching The Office for the first time. Up to Season 7 now, and just watched the Will Ferrel episode. That was...weird. Something suddenly really off about the show.
>>
>>83164501
Yeah, Dunder Mifflin Infinity 1 and 2 are the best episodes for me.

And it really fits the whole theme of the episode about how older people fear technology. It thought that scene was actually one of the best.
>>
Some of the best episodes are the ones where Smug Dick Jim gets knocked down a peg. Do you agree?
>>
File: IMG_2271.jpg (298KB, 1242x1687px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2271.jpg
298KB, 1242x1687px
>>83164581
Reminder that this is the kind of person who hate Jim and Pam.
>>
>>83164635
Hot Pam is too good for Smug Jim.
>>
File: M Scott.jpg (63KB, 1072x804px) Image search: [Google]
M Scott.jpg
63KB, 1072x804px
>>83162969
What you mean to say is
>This guy leaving singlehandedly ruined The Office
With or without R.C., the show was fucking dead when Michael left.
>>
>>83164635
This. The office fans I met irl who have this intense disdain for Jim and Pam are often people with severe emotional issues, or are disgusted by their conventional, "bland, white, heteronormative" relationship.
>>
The show ended when Michael drove the car into the lake. From that moment on it was a cartoon.
>>
>>83164540
No, I mean the actor's timing.

I know the editing has a large part to play. Just because I didn't mention the editing, Im a child? The kid has great comedic timing.
>>
>>83164635

This article is fucking cancer. It reads like someone who just got home from a bad date and tried to cheer themselves up with The Office and failed.
>>
>>83164734
you're a child because you're a child. you know nothing about the fine craft of filmmaking. I would advise you to take about 3 years off posting on /tv/ until you have a clue what you're talking about. Then you can maybe lurk for a year or two. Then I will permit you to post on a trial basis. But watch yourself.
>>
>>83164635
Pam is fine, Jim is a fuck. Even early on Pam seemed to realize Michael was a good guy at heart and legit tried to help him be less cringey and weird. Also the scene in the airport where she threw her shoes off to say goodbye to Michael as a dear friend in a nonsexual way was pure KINO.

Jim like others have said ad nasuem is a smug asshole with a superiority complex.
>>
>>83164695
It's true. Not only did he elicit the most laughter, but he was ultimately the glue that held the show's different aspects together.
>>
>>83164635

>Buzzfeed

And?
>>
>>83164949
and That's A Good Thing
>>
>>83164033
No, your initial thought was the correct one, it is a terrible idea.
>>
>>83165104
Well what's your idea big fella?
>>
>>83164807
It's just The Office, calm your tits
>>
>>83165162
It was a good show no need to under sell it.
>>
>>83162969
He had other thing on his mind like being Reddington on the blacklist.
>>
>>83165144
My idea would be to never make Creed a main character, that's all.

And the death of the show officially happened when Steve Carrell left.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.