[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree this was the most tedious, boring Alien film

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: kSj05.jpg (439KB, 1984x2758px) Image search: [Google]
kSj05.jpg
439KB, 1984x2758px
Can we all agree this was the most tedious, boring Alien film to watch in the series? Also you can't forget about how blaze and unrelentingly underwhelming the main protagonists of the film were Shaw and Holloway.

fuck Prometheus. I liked Alien: Covenant more.
>>
Prometheus being awful doesn't excuse Covenant from being terrible though OP. Both are trashy fan fiction from a hack who's lost his touch and doesn't give a fuck anymore. As such they should be disregarded.
>>
>>83116256
fuck the alien franchise in general,shoulda stopped after 2.
>>
>>83116340
>>83116330

Why not tackle the problem with Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 idea??
>>
>>83116256
Nah, we can't
/thread
>>
The Gigerian aesthetic -- traumatic impregnation, forced metamorphosis, sarcophagi, ravenous orifices and malignant fluids -- is compelling enough, counterposed with sublimely lifeless rock vistas and the androgynous, angelic mien of David, for me to forgive moments of thin characterization, overly obvious revolvers on the mantle, and a few instances of implausible behavior. There's less of the latter than many self-sure spergs would like to think -- e.g., the "unaccountable about-face" of the biologist and geologist and the "astonishingly stupid" inclination of other characters to touch oozing jars, etc., seem less like forgetful scripting (or impatient setups for body-horror) than intentional demonstrations of fatal allure, a hypnotic fixation of the sort that cats supposedly exert on small birds. Certainly those cringe-inducing extensions of hands have the purely atmospheric function of magnifying sympathetic fear, but in them too I find strong hints of tempting serpent and forbidden box.

The visual contrast with the original Alien is worth remarking on. The leathery eggs of Alien have hardened their angles and transformed into stacked warheads or machine-tooled canopic jars, lidded and filled with transparent ampoules. Conversely, in place of the crustaceous, the insectile, the exoskeletal, we have the unjointed, the cephalopod, softer and more unnervingly liquid. The three-stage endoparasitoid wasp lifecycle has become much less straightforward, a protean wind from black slime to centipedes underfoot to corpse-colored snake down the gullet (and back out again) -- something less scrupulous about directionality and windows of transmission, something not yet crystallized into fixed instars and more thickly imbued with primal chaos.
>>
>>83118052
That's a terrible idea, and you know it. Ripley's story is done, and that movie would be a shitty version of Aliens.
>>
>>83116256

>liked covenant

haha
>>
>>83118052
Fuck off. Blomkamp is now free to pursue his own, original sci-fi alien film, far away from the dumpster fire that Scott has turned this franchise into.
>>
The strength of Prometheus is in its allusive resonances. We are Beebe in his bathysphere, and what privileges our descent are the luminous contours and huge black masses that we at most halfway glimpse through the fogged quartz of our windows and the cold ink beyond it: titanic revolts, the taint of sin, cults of death, the rightful rage of fathers (stepfathers?), and the astral glint of redemption beyond rationality.

The linguistic consultant to the film reveals that this is what David says to the Engineer (in proto-proto-Indo-European!):

/ida hmanəm aJ kja namṛtuh zdɛ:taha/.../ghʷJvah-pjorn-Jttham sas da:tṛ kredah/

‘This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life’.
But you don't need an insider disclosure to guess the gist of the line (there was actually more dialogue that didn't make it into the theatrical cut...) or understand why the Engineer reacts as he does. Here he is faced by an obscenity of hubris -- the impossibly old Weyland, his decrepit body insolent against inevitability in robotic struts, the trillionaire industrialist who pontificates about the soul while straining for a purely corporeal immortality, and, speaking for him, the cyborg he made in his own image. It's a scene very much in dialogue with the confrontation in Blade Runner, and our sympathies are again with the smiter.

(The recurrence of decapitation and speech beyond death, seen earlier with the Engineer whose head is carried back to the ship like a relic of John the Baptist, is interesting. I think it's something beyond a seal of internal symmetry.)
>>
i watched it last night. it was a good film. theres not very many films i own physically. most films arent worth buying to replay. me and my girlfriend liked it.
>>
>>83116256
No, Alien 3 is much more tedious and boring.

Also compared to Covenant, Prometheus actually had some balls to do something new and not totally retread old tropes. It's not good, but the mythology shit is kinda presented in an interesting way.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.