[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sunshine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: Sunshine (2007).jpg (151KB, 1021x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Sunshine (2007).jpg
151KB, 1021x1500px
Is this the greatest sci-fi movie of all times /tv/?
>inb4 the 3rd act ruined it all
>>
I like it more than I should but Prometheus had the same problem
>>
>>83085186
It's pretty good.

Like almost all space horror made after the year 1999 the third act sucks.

That being said, when Cilian is crawling with that Adagio track playing in the background I was cheering for him.
>>
>>83085230
how so?
>>
So this giant 16km wide cube of fissile material is now at the surface of the sun, right? And somehow, inside this payload cube, the computers and electronics and air-conditioning are working just fine so that the 3 human beings left alive are still nice and comfy in their 72 degrees Fahrenheit enivronments.

And then at the end, the hero is standing on his gantry walkway as his mini big bang starts kicking into gear, and the ACTUAL SUN ITSELF starts burning through the walls, but our hero stays alive and puts his hands up to the flames itself? He's inside the sun and looking at the pretty flames? Wearing jeans and a t-shirt? All this, after many earlier moments in the film instantly burnt stuff because they were now so close to the sun?

This is a film that should never have been made. It started out with promise, and went down hill the moment they diverted their mission. The ending was PISS WEAK.
>>
>>83085697
hmmm, fair enough, for sure. was referring to the prometheus part (as in, did you see a parallel with prometheus) but absolutely agree with you about the final act.
>>
>>83085186
The 3rd act ruined it all.
>>
List of space/sci fi horror that falls down in the 3rd act:

>Alien Covenant
>Prometheus
>Event Horizon
>Sunshine
>Pandorum
>10 Cloverfield Lane
>War of the Worlds
>Alien 3?
>The Mist

Why is it that this happens?
>>
>>83085826
well played sir.
>>
What did he mean by this?
>>
no its moon
>>
>>83085861
>The Mist
what? the ending was great and edgy but overall I don't see how does the third act downgrades the movie.
Unfortunately have to agree on all the other movies
>>
>>83086010
vpn reconnection sir
>>
>>83085697
Do yourself a favor and stop treating these movies like a star trek episode, you are missing the point and you sound pretty retarded.

Listen, you realize that there is literally a flame monster whatever thing in the spaceship? There is a person possessed by the sun. No but the stuff you have a problem with, is that the physics are wrong. Jeez why not make a top 10 list of the worst physics mistakes in sci-fi movies and put it on youtube.
>>
>>83085659

He's referring to the third act, which is all anyone talks about when it comes to this movie.

I'm not saying they're wrong but all of it all goes well and then all of a sudden it's murder time.
>>
>>83086227
t. 'dude just turn your brain off lmao it's jus a movie xd" redditor
>>
>>83086300
yeah, had the same feeling. watched it stoned, had to pause after 30 minutes and go back from the start as the beginning had so much promise. should've known by the time the first flash images started.
>>
Galaxy quest is the best
>>
>>83086393
I call him reddit, that will show him.
Who is turning its brain off when you can't distinguish between fiction, meaning, the overall feelings a movie wants to deliver and his high school physics class.

What about the ending of 2001?
>lamao a giant baby in space, how does that work with no air

But go on critice movies by it's cinemasins counter and continue to come off like a giant
douche
>>
>>83086393

he has a point
>>
>>83085861
Sci-fi horror (horror in general, really) primarily relies on two things, mystery and powerlessness; a lot of films use the third act to explain mysteries and have the protags fight back, removing those two primary aspects. This is why Lovecraft has remained relevant today, whatever else there is to say about him he understood this principle.
>>
>>83085697
I'm pretty sure the explanation is that he was somehow frozen in time due to relativity or some shit.

Basically he burned up but got to savor a beautiful moment before dying.
>>
>>83085186
NOT
EVEN
CLOSE
>>
>>83085861
I am cool with the 3rd acts of Even Horizon, The Mist and Alien 3.

Fiteme
>>
>>83085186
I liked the third act and thought it made the movie memorable. Actually, Sunshine is one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time and it's explicitly because of the combination of the first and second acts with the third. It's unique, amazing, compelling, and also thrilling. It's one of the most rewatchable movies ever made, and also one which is shockingly great the first time you see it, and also (like 2001) is a movie one needs to rewatch to understand.

I don't understand how this film is still hated when there's been so much time to process it.
>>
>>83087362
so youre suggesting ...?
>>
>>83087509
a hundred other films, faggot
>>
>>83087620
dude legit recommend me a movie
>>
>>83087812
Moon. If you've seen it, watch it again.
>>
Excluding the shittiest part, yeah, it was pretty good.
>>
>>83085186
feel like he could've played the god vs. human card either less or more, and would've been better either way.
>>
>>83085186
It could have been, but it's not. Because of the third act. That's all.
>>
>>83085697
The movie is a contrast between materialism and mysticism. The answer to the veracity of which is not made clear on purpose. The spoopy stuff like the dreams, the surviving spout, the "monster" and the obsession with viewing the sun as parallel to the Beatific Vision are meant to allow for a more supernatural interpretation
>>
>>83085186
Movie was shit well before the 3rd act.
>>
>>83085186
>Danny Boyle
>good
>>
>>83087345
Indeed, time is shown behaving erratically during the struggle with the monster captain as well. And previously in the movie all calculations broke down as to what would happen so close to the immense gravity well.
It makes sense within previously established movie logic. Is it realistic? Obviously not.
>>
>>83085186
The suit part and the jump part was my favorite
>>
>>83088726
Get a load of this slumdog millionaire
>>
>>83086774

To tell the truth, first time I saw it was sleep deprived at a friend's house who really wanted me to check it out. So it left quite the impression on me in quite a state, third act and all.

With that said: I liked it.
>>
>>83086393
You're an idiot. Self-sterilise.
>>
>yfw this is my ringtone

https://youtu.be/9b5ueiALdB0
>>
>>83085861
"Life" on the otherhand was a cliché fest all through the whole movie, but then the last scene was awesome. though, also somewhat predictable, but 50%-50%.
>>
>>83085861

Pandorum is redeemed in the finale though, the plot twist was amazing.
>>
>>83088726
Danny Boyle should be allowed to make an Alien film, he's one of the few who could pull it off.
>>
>>83087345
This. >>83085697 is a faggot.
>>
File: kid_computer_giggling.jpg (63KB, 636x477px) Image search: [Google]
kid_computer_giggling.jpg
63KB, 636x477px
>>83088726
Edgy faggot. Stick to capeshit.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.