[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Leftovers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 262
Thread images: 24

Spoiler: Did she kill herself, and if so,
why
?
>>
great episode, was overshadowed by shit peaks
>>
>>83079087
Agreed, Emmy caliber performance by ol' Laurie in this one imo. Hopefully your Twin Peaks comment doesn't overshadow my goddamn thread if it picks up any steam
>>
>>83078953
Also wondering the same.

And why was Nora such a bitch in this episode? I mean she's always been stand-offish but she was a next level cunt here.
>>
>>83078953
I think the point is we don't really know.

They're really trying to go over the top with the Biblical references.
>>
>>83078953
Yes, she did. It was built up too much to be a fake out. She attempted at the beginning of the episode. And then Nora's scubacide comment, and then Michael's Judas comment. "We're all gone" - she might as well still be in the GR because she has nothing that she really cares about.
>>
suicide it's a suicide
>>
>>83079354
The episode seems to suggest she might have done what she might have done because of her grief immediately after the SD, what with losing her baby and not being able to help her patients, which both led her to join the GR. Doesn't seem to me to hold water now though. She's back in her daughter's life and has a new husband, everything might end in a day anyway, and NOW she decides to punch her ticket, effectively abandoning her family for a second time? It doesn't seem to fit with her arc.

Maybe Nora is a bit ass chapped after being BTFO by Kevin last week?
>>
Major goof in this episode and in Ep 3 of this season - those dog pills wouldn't have knocked anyone out. They were basically Advil for dogs.
https://ibb.co/mUsSOF

Laurie killed herself. Probably the "best" (meaning least painful/traumatic) way to die while scuba diving is to descend to a depth of over 200 feet while breathing air. The partial pressure of the oxygen in the air tank actually becomes toxic at this depth, eventually causing seizure and death. As you descend, the partial pressure of oxygen (which is basically the components of the gas - it still just feels like you are breathing air) increases due to the atmospheric pressure of the water. The partial pressure of nitrogen also increases with descent. There is a condition known as "nitrogen narcosis" which has similar pleasant effects to breathing nitrous oxide ("laughing gas"). The effect of nitrogen narcosis is gradual and divers often don't realize it when they are "narc'ed". Someone could take their time going down, get doped up on the nitrogen, and then keep going until the oxygen causes a seizure, you lose your regulator, and drown. It's possible that you would be unaware of the onset and die a painless death.
>>
>>83079354
I never had a problem with Nora before, but keeping the lighter was a complete dick move and made no sense. How it would have gone down between any two reasonable people:
>Hey, since you quit smoking, can I keep your lighter?
>No.
>Okay. Here it is.

Seems like pretty lazy writing to me to have Nora vehemently try to keep it.
>>
>>83079539
BIDDY BYE BYE
>>
I see lots of people changed their minds about Lori, but I still hate her. She is easily my least favorite character out of the main ones.

>>83079354

she was a huge cunt this episode. lighter scene made me angry.
>>
>>83079572
She turned into a total bitch during and after her episode. That broken ticket machine made her snap.
>>
>>83078953
B R A V O DAMON
R
A
V
O
>>
>>83079572
When Nora says "No, you quit," maybe she's referring to the fact that Laurie abandoned her children. She literally quit her family. Nora had hers ripped away from her and it ruined her life, and here's a woman who could just walk away from the same thing. It seems reasonable to think that Nora holds some resentment toward Laurie for that. Given that the lighter is symbolic of the daughter that Laurie once gave up willingly, and you also got the parallel between that and Lily (was that the Wayne baby's name?), and Nora alludes to this diring the scene as well.
>>
>>83078953
reminder that laurie is alive
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
Is the waifu on pic back guys?
>>
>>83079730
>>83079638
>>83079354
The screencap summarizes everything. As they are getting closer to the day, the probability of the world ending becomes clearer to everyone. They are acting ooc because, deep down, they all believe that the world is about to end and they no longer give a shit.
>>
>>83079746
Man, this nigga right here. Its like he watched the episode AND understood it.

Seriously, good on you. Most idiots around here can't follow shit, and don't get any symbolism that isn't totally obvious.
>>
>>83079787
That convo on the phone at the end between her and Laurie with her bro shouting in the background was really nice and inadvertently heavy on the feels.
>>
>>83075003
>>
File: 1488576148914.jpg (66KB, 848x477px) Image search: [Google]
1488576148914.jpg
66KB, 848x477px
>>83079087
>May 21 2017
Greatest night in tv history?
>>
>>83079900
Do you think that it was actually her and her brother on the phone? or was it Laurie imagining it? Only reason why I bring it up is that we have never heard her talk like that, all excited and shit.
>>
>>83079900
>Inadvertently heavy on feels

Are you serious? You don't think feels was the point of them putting that in?
>>
>>83079569
the goof was on purpose

Laurie is a dog person
>>
>>83080056
Mind blown
>>
>>83080011
Right?
>suicide scene
>oops here are some feels
>>
>>83080002
>we have never heard her talk like that, all excited and shit

The Garveys at Their Best
>>
>>83079746
>>83079895
I get the symbolism but that's why I called it lazy writing. The symbol was thought of but Lindelof had no reason for Nora to take it. So he shoehorned it in.
>>
>>83080002
We did though, in the flashback to the day of the departure. Jill was totally goofy and giddy with Tom before and during the science fair.
>>
>>83078953
Will suicidal anons finally kill themselves after the series ends? This episode was begging for a hotline shoutout when it ended
>>
>>83080115
Oh shit you right. I just thought it was kinda odd. Thanks anon
>>
File: giphy.gif (977KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
977KB, 500x381px
>>83080154
I'll do my part.
>>
>>83080129
But that was before the departure. I thought that the departure changed her in to the sad a sulken person she is now. But then again she could have changed afterwards any way. You have to admit though, it is kind of strange to hear her happy and shit.
>>
>>83080269
I don't disagree that it was odd. I think it was trying to show that Jill was finally getting to be "okay" again.
>>
>>83079946
I haven't watched Silicon Valley yet, but Veep was gold per usual.

>>83079900
Yeah, but why is it heavy on the feels? Because everything leading up to that moment has led us to believe that Laurie is about to go glug glug and this is the last time she'll ever speak to her children, which, what the fuck, Laurie? If her daughter hadn't called, and if she's really dead, she really just went out on them like that? Like I said before, it doesn't seem to fit with her arc. They tried to shoehorn it in there with her taking on this nihilistic whatever viewpoint with Kevin, but I just can't believe that given the huge change her character has undergone, she's just gonna fuck her family like that... again.
>>
This show is pretty unpredictable, but I very much doubt that she will appear in next episode like nothing happened, I'm pretty sure she killed herself.

About why,well I suppose it's the same reason why she attempt to kill herself the first time, she felt helpless because she couldn't help the people closest to her deal with the departure and break out of their delusions, she felt so isolated in that house with everyone going batshit insane. (from her point of view)

>>83079638
Well she did have one of the worst days of her life with that argument with Kevin, so that would also explain it

>>83079563
Well she could not help her new Husband, I mean he was accomplice to kidnapping , murder and he believed the flood was about to come, and the kids are all grown up and she had no problem abandoning them when they weren't fully adults so that was never enough for her.
>>
>>83080154
I think I'll wait till the end of summer
>>
>>83080129
>>83080002
Also, she's supposed to be away at college, so what is she doing just chillin with Tom? And with Tom being a cop alongside Kevin, it seems odd that he wouldn't know that everyone close to him besides Nora also just bounced out of the country.
>>
>>83080461
Oh snap you right. Thats why this show is so good. you can interpret it how you want.
>>
I just turned 22, I want to meet an older women like Nora who I can have a love affair with.
>>
gonna be pretty mad if they just drown kevin and he dies desu
>>
>>83080525
It's not that hard to find a broken down older slut. Just go to a local cougar bar.
>>
>>83080461
I assumed Tom went to visit Jill. My guess is he is aware that everyone went downunda and he knows why. Maybe he believes in the coming apocalypse and decided to try make his last night on Earth an enjoyable one with his sister, so he didn't tell Jill what was up.
>>
>>83078953
Of course she did.

She will be in the place Kevin goes when he dies.
>>
>>83080631
I wouldn't think he would just leave town when the police force is already missing its chief while SD anniversary shitstorm could be on the horizon. I also don't think Tom wouldn't be totally up front with Jill if he knew anything.

The reality of that phonecall is seeming more and more suspect, but I have no idea how they could explain it away as having not actually happened.
>>
>>83078953
This episode was so crap. I'm wasting my time watching this show.
>>
>>83080125
Sometimes people do things because they're dicks. It's not like we haven't seen Nora act like a complete bitch before, it's nothing new.
>>
>>83080921
Your brain's gone bad.
>>
>>83078953
I'm on season 2 episode 9. I did not enjoy the last episode (International Assassin) at all. It felt like such a waste of time. Now it seems this next episode is a fucking Meg episode? Who the fuck asked for this shit? I don't think I'll be watching season 3.
>>
>>83080953
Tell me why that episode was good? What was the great thing it gave you? Unbelievable actress doing random crap.
Literally worst character and you're fooling yourself that this is the height of tv fiction?
>>
>>83080154
Top kek
Looking back on it this scene was literally Kevin encouraging Laurie to kill herself. Holy shit.
>>
>>83080921
Man, if watching the show is a waste of your time, I can't even fathom how much of a waste of time posting about how the show is a waste of your time must be.
>>
Oh yeah, I'm the complainer, I'd also like to complain about the shitty choice of music at the beginning of each episode.
That shows you the taste the production team has got, don't get your hopes up for anything amazing.
>>
Who gives a shit Laurie was the worst character on the show
>>
>>83081020
lindelof, this tactic isn't dissuading anyone.
>>
>>83080154
They did make suicide look so comfy.
>>
>worst psychiatrist in the universe is committing suicide
>chronos quartet (all chello metallica coverband) version of enter sandman begins to play

>>
>>83081020
It's a waste of your time too. I wanted to get the lowdown on what /tv/ thinks of this show these days, it seems you've all gone soft and swallow substandard tv like it's the highest tier entertainment/storytelling possible.
>>
>>83081105
What's your definition of high standard tv?
>>
>>83080860
If he's sure the world is going to end the next day, why would he care that the town was without a strong police presence? If he and Jill are going to die in 24 hours why wouldn't he want their time together to be happy and peaceful?
>>
>>83081105
its really just damon lindelof praising the show.

Hes got no choice either, as this will be the last of his career. As he took a character driven book about people dealing with a global one-off unexplainable supernatural event as a means to explore how different people deal with grief in different ways, and turned it into LOST v0.7
>>
File: 1495498748680.jpg (39KB, 636x651px) Image search: [Google]
1495498748680.jpg
39KB, 636x651px
>>83080991
Oh, I see it's not just a Meg episode, it's also a FLASHBACK episode
>>
>>83080631
>Maybe he believes in the coming apocalypse and decided to try make his last night on Earth an enjoyable one with his sister
>>
>>83080991
The episode before international assassin really is the peak of the series. As magical negro emptying the antidote on the floor and blowing his brains out is the funniest scene lindelof has ever written. Not intentionally of course.
>>
File: 1495163321744.png (335KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1495163321744.png
335KB, 641x530px
>>83081095
>confusing Wherever I May Roam with Enter Sandman
>>
>>83081276
metallica is shit and all their music sounds alike

even more so when its a bunch of cellists playing it.
>>
>>83079569

da fuq

Very detail anon
>>
>>83081300
You'll get no argument from me but Enter Sandman is a pretty recognizable riff.
>>
>>83081394
I only vaguely recognized it as chronos quartet (due to the fact lindelof used them before for some on-the-nose music) and just went for the most obvious and hamfisted song I could think of.

The only aprt of whereever i may roam I can summon up is "WANDER, WANDER!!"
>>
>>83081300
Whoa chill out Megadeth Mustaine.
>>
File: 1093692.gif (336KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1093692.gif
336KB, 480x360px
>>83081220
The best part of waking up is sniffing my sister's panties from the night before
>>
>>83081535
>he remembers the megadeath vs metallica brand war

you're too old for 4chan
>>
>>83081105
>>83081159
I'm not hearing any specific qualms you guys with the show.

I think the argument that the show has gotten too farfetched as far as the whole supernatural thing goes ignores the fact that the show was never not supernatural.

The argument comparing it unfavorably to LOST is cheap, because a. it presupposes that LOST was shit when it reality it was groundbreaking kino despite some faults, and b. it's really just a meme to hate on Lindelof, which is mostly thanks to the shitpile that was Prometheus, and even that wasn't all his fault. I swear I'm not Lindelof btw.

I'm still solidly on board with The Leftovers because I love the more solemn character drama stuff of the first season as much as I love the more playful borderline over-the-top stuff of the past two seasons. People who say the show is shit "these days" talk like it's a soap opera that's going to go on forever and never be good again. It's run was limited, and it's been pretty consistently great imo. If it kept doing the same shit for three seasons, you goombas would be complaining about that instead.

And also, it's still a TV show. I don't think anyone is claiming it's Tolstoy.
>>
File: 1487914960481.jpg (15KB, 320x257px) Image search: [Google]
1487914960481.jpg
15KB, 320x257px
>>83081477
desu I got it confused with the intro to Seasons in the Abyss
>>
>>83081603
We invented 4 chan.For all you know I might have looked it up
>>
>>83081683
I claim that it's Tolstoy.
>>
>>83081683
Well you have a valid point/s, I should have just stopped watching like my instincts told me to. There are so many problems with this show I don't know where to start.
>>
>>83081802
What did he metaphorically mean by this?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>83081802
HNNNGGG
>>
>>83081683
>the show was never not supernatural.

The first season (and book) has a grand total of one supernatural event. One. And the entire point of the first season (and book) is that it can't be explained thus makes it almost impossible to reconcile. Thus kicks off an (almost) purely character driven story about a global existential crisis.

The second season is built around kevin having a ghost haunting him and his needs to enter the spirit realm in order to learn why hes being haunted and how to get unhaunted, to do this he uses his powers of plot-granted immortality and the help of a magical negro.

The thrid season kevin is jesus and he needs to go to the spirit world to find an aborginal chieftan in order to learn the song that can save the world from the apocalypse.

This is utterly moronic writing on the level of sonic the hedgehog fanfiction.
>>
>>83081842
why do you keep watching the show if you don't like it?
>>
>>83081894
It's not moronic, you just don't like it.
>>
>>83081894
you just proved that you don't understand the show
>>
>>83081933
>its not moronic to flandardize an unimportant element of a book you didn't understand

>>
>>83081955
yea yea, nou
>>
>>83081977
That's how you see it, but that doesn't mean you're right. Season 2 and 3 have no responsibility to a book, and are not absurd departures from Season 1 like you say they are. I love Season 1 and its themes a ton, but I'm not disgusted by the other seasons just cause they aren't completely depressive.
>>
>>83081898
>Why do you keep sucking dick if you don't enjoy it?

It's what I was made to do.
>>
>>83081898
Because it aired when other shows I watch aired. So it was a show to fill the gap in between episodes.
GoT, I don't want to watch that anymore either.
I don't watch much tv. I download shows and don't channel surf much, only documentary channels.

I don't mind character based shows but it's going off on tangents just to experiment, to see how far they can push the vagueness and it's very self indulgent by the creator/s.

Any substance they had has been dissolved so much that everything is meaningless now and I don't give a shit about any of it.
>>
>>83081683
a show shifting from character driven to plot driven is a pretty valid complaint, yo

or are you going to try to argue the show is character driven again?
>>
>>83082047
Oh I see, you completely misunderstood what I said.

That's nice.
>>
>>83081894
First, admit that that is written with the express purpose of exaggerating the show's supernatural elements so as to make it sound as dumb as possible. For example, the whole spirit world aboriginal chieftain line ignores the fact that the only one who believes that wholeheartedly is literally schizophrenic, whereas the other characters have varying motivations.

Also, obviously the show is going to ramp it up, one because the book simply doesn't provide enough material to adapt, and also, TV is not books. Different mediums demand different codes and conventions to be effective.
>>
>>83082130
sucks for you dude. Your brain's fucked up and you have a hard time dealing with things you don't like, and people you don't agree with.
>>
>>83081894
You're an insufferable faggot dude and probably really fat and ugly
>>
>>83082185
uh

kevin's literally immortal and hes literally going along with a plan that involves going to the spirit world (as represented by a hotel) so as to commune with the dead there and bring back their secrets and give messages to them from the living. The idea hes just doing it to kill himself is kinda undermined by the next episode preview, which puts him back in the spirit world again.

The show completely broke with the "could be supernatural, could not be" bits in the first episode of the second season. The first season did that pretty well. The second and third seasons are clearly and entirely about nothing but this weak supernatural bullshit.
>>
>>83082100
I guess I would agree that the show has become more plot driven, sure, but I wouldn't agree that that's been at the expense of character development. I think it would be harder to argue that the show is no longer character driven, especially after tonight and last week.
>>
File: 457362_1.jpg (56KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
457362_1.jpg
56KB, 630x630px
>>83082246
You just described everyone on /TV/
>>
>>83082316
Exactly what was character driven about laurie being a literal plot device?
>>
>>83082316
I don't know what this guy wants to gain from posting the same shit in every leftovers thread
>>
>>83082393
Discussion?
>>
>>83082313
Why would you assume what Kevin sees in his head when nearly dead from lack of oxygen or blood loss is a 100% factual representation of what is happening to his "soul"?
>>
>>83082413
it's not really much of a discussion and more of you just repeating the same point repeatedly while making it clear how much that you misinterpreted the show. That's why a discussion with you is impossible.
>>
>>83082444
Because its been proven to be more than once by the show's on writing?
>>
>>83082313
Yeah, but your entire argument hinges on you supposing that everyone thinks that the fact that the show has gotten progressively shittier as it's gotten progressively more supernatural. I'm pretty sure a solid majority would say the show has only gotten better, at least when looking at only the first and second seasons (reevaluate once this one is done).
>>
>>83082457
well, dude, if you understand it so well, why not just put your interpretation out there?
>>
>>83082499
>your entire argument hinges on you supposing that everyone

what the fuck are you even talking about.

Every episode after the book ended has been worse than the last. Just because you're easily swayed by the dramatic violin/piano music playing over melodramatic scenes does not mean the show even remotely resembles what it started as.
>>
>>83082457
1. >>83082413 is not me.
2. I haven't ever posted shit like this in any Leftovers threads, and I've actually rarely posted any shit whatsoever in Leftovers threads before I started this one because of a specific question I had about the episode.

I don't know what you wanted to gain from that post other than alerting everyone who saw it to the fact that you are a massive faggot who is triggered by people liking what you don't like. kys
>>
>>83082471
Proven how? He was never pronounced or really confirmed as dead. The poison (stopped heart), his gut shot (blood loss), and the proposed drowning all deprive the brin of oxygen, which can make him hallucinate. I don't think there has been any real proof that what he is seeing is the afterlife. If it were, that's gotta be a fuckhuge hotel, eh.
>>
>>83082554
who gives a fuck, its still really good??
whats your problem dude???
>>
>>83082622
Negro you don't not-breathe for eight hours and just get up. You don't just walk off a gutshot. And the writers have literally referred to kevin as a literal shaman and directly stated the show is entirely supernatural now.
>>
I love watching women argue.
>>
>>83082554
Why am I getting the distinct impression that you're really impressed with yourself because you read the book?

The show improves on the book in every conceivable way, and I'd imagine the guy who wrote the book might even agree, considering he also writes for the goddamned show. Slow your role, we get it, you hate the show. Thx for your input
>>
>>83082683
is it really women who are all over this tripe? That would explain a lot. I thought it was just fags wanting kevin cock.
>>
>>83082705
why do you people get so upset when people levy valid criticism against things?
>>
>>83082604
i'm sorry, anon. will you pelase forgive me?
>>
>>83082679
Obviously, but this shit happens in real life. People make mistakes, fail to recognize a weak pulse or respiration, and put motherfuckers in the meat locker or the ground. It happens. I think there is still a good possibility that the characters' desires to have a Messiah are informing the narrative here, and things might not be as supernatural as they are making them out to be.
>>
>>83082751
>This is utterly moronic writing
>uh
>what the fuck are you even talking about.

If these are all you, you seem to be the one getting upset while also not leveling valid criticism against anything.
>>
>>83082809
That's nice and all but the writers have directly stated that yes, kevin is an immortal shaman. The show is entirely plot driven and supernatural after the first season ends
>>
>>83082751
Bro whats your fucking criticism?
1. The show isnt like the book anymore
its become its own thing that works really well?

2. its not supernatural anymore

OK? why is this a criticism? They played with the idea of 'is a supernatural..or isnt it?" and they stopped. Now its playing with other themes. get over yourself you massive fucking loser hahahahahahahah
>>
>>83082857
Have I called you a fat ugly old whore that no one wants to fuck who's left to do nothing but fantasize about justin theroux in response to your excellent rebuttals of valid criticism?
>>
>>83082886
Ugh, goddamn why'd that fag have to point out its women defending/praising the show. Now I can't stop seeing everything as "woman argument"
>>
I agree with the guy saying the show went off the rails with all the random supernatural events driving the plot to this point. However, season 1 was absolute shit anyway (just like the book) so if anything the nonsense since season 2 is just mindless entertainment.

Still don't understand the praise this show gets.
>>
>>83082867
So you are trusting Team Lindelof to be straight forward when discussing the show and to have been working towards a known endpoint for more than the past few episodes. Good luck, son.
>>
Season 2 and 3 are so shit compared to the first one
>>
>>83082962
>writers say x, y, and z
>lol, they're just playing with you lol!

>>
>>83081683
Anon, understand that some of these people shitting or turning on the show now are only mentally steeling themselves when Lindleoff blows it and doesn't explain shit.

They're just preparing for disappointment like I am, and just sad it's ending
>>
>>83082867
>the writers have directly stated that yes, kevin is an immortal shaman.

I'm going to need sauce on this if you're going to keep using it against people trying to get enjoyment from this television show by making and arguing in support of their own personal interpretations my dude
>>
>>83082995
First three results on google, yo
>>
>>83082995
I second the necessitation of sauce.
>>
>>83083028
watch it, its a woman, shes probably googling something like "did the writers say kevin garvey is a shaman on leftovers??" and wonder why there are no results.
>>
>>83082985
its only ever been a very small contingent who thought leftovers was anything other than garbage. As its just lindelof hitting all the same marks he hit in lost, to less effect.
>>
>>83082951
Holy wayne was a good character and the ATFEC was an interesting concept.

lol forgot all about all of that tho lol
>>
Literally the worst episode of the season so far.
This entire season has been pretty lackluster really
>>
>>83078953
>why?

She became suicidal after the departure and her client discussing her own experience with her infant departing and triggered her.
Nora went to the machine which Laurie thinks it's gonna kill her, Matt is dying, her ex-husband is gonna let his father kill him, John is "ok" with everything. There are many reasons...
>>
>>83083028
If you mean the Reza Aslan interview, you aren't really getting what's being said.

>Many think Kevin’s losing his mind; some think he’s having some kind of spiritual experience. I like to think... that he’s either a prophet or a shaman. If I were to pick, I’d say he’s a shamanistic character. Prophets usually get messages from the beyond: They hear a voice telling them something, and then repeat that message to the masses. Shamans don’t really have a message. They’re kind of medicine men — that’s how they’re often referred to in tribal society. They have this ability to go to sleep and either physically or mentally travel great distances to other planes of existence, and then return. This is a very common trope in ancient religious traditions going back tens of thousands of years. Often they have an animal guide. In fact, for many shamans, the first part of the initiation is to find a spirit guide, an animal to communicate with and help them see the other world.
Even today, if you go to Latin America and Siberia, that is still what shamans do. They enter altered states of experience, often to be of service to people. It could be very practical. If you lost your sheep, you would go to a shaman, and he would come back after communing with spirits and tell you they were on the other side of the mountain.
>>Throughout the first season, Kevin had the sleep experiences. He would wake up and not remember all the things he [had done]. We don’t know what the difference between a psychotic break and a spiritual experience is. Brain scans of people who see themselves as shamans have similar patterns to those who are schizophrenic. If you’re a rationalist, you think there’s no such thing as a shaman; they’re just crazy. If you’re a spiritualist, you would say there’s a very fine line between crazy and shaman. It’s all about interpretation and context.
>>
>>83083028
>>83083057
I'm generally not a fan of using language that would offend homosexuals, but this post and its reply is just the gayest shit I've ever seen. From the fact that the reply seems to be aching for some kind of bro validation that he likely never gets irl, to the fact that the first post is maddeningly vague while the reply is again trying to clamber toward such banal common ground as "lol we're such natural expert bros at google." It's just cringe-inducing faggotry of the highest order. Good job, shit's gonna give me nightmares.
>>
>>83083341
>woman can't google
>is angry at the patriarchy for it

>>
>>83083341
cringe
>>
>>83083315
Not to mention, Reza Aslan wouldn't exactly qualify as someone who could speak directly for the writers. You certainly couldn't take something he said and claim it was "the writers."
>>
>>83083341
So it's gayer than faggots parading around in leather?
>>
>>83083470
It's up there
>>
>>83083171
Wayne was a literal magic negro though. The crazy dog killer was also interesting but of course he gets axed pretty quick. Otherwise, the best characters to have surfaced as the series developed were IMO Patti and Laurie (surprisingly).
>>
>>83083548
>Wayne was a literal magic negro though

>hello I did not understand anything about the show I like and its just so kino and justin theroux is soooo dreamy!!

>>
>>83081095
apocalyptica wherever I May roam you fucking child
>>
>>83083548
Dumbass Wayne got himself killed though. Ended up stuck as a bellhop in a hotel in the twilight zone.
>>
>>83084282
>he takes people's baggage temporarily for tips

brago lindelob
>>
>>83084932
whoa...
>>
>>83082622

he punched out of the dirt after being poisoned and buried alive
>>
>>83081894
>to do this he uses his powers of plot-granted immortality
yeah you can do that with any story you stupid retard
>>
>>83081894
The show is literally people basing their entire lives on potential supernatural occurrences because one major unexplainable event happened. Nothing in this show other than SD is confirmed supernatural yet. Kevin jr can be just as crazy as his dad as well as the luckiest SOB on the planet in terms of his life expectancy. Everyone else is just barely clinging to sanity.

I don't know how the show will end. And if it turns out that Kevin is some magical Jesus or something then so be it. Or maybe everyone will return idk. But honestly with the tone of the show I just think it ends with them killing Kevin and everyone realizing they are just as lost as everyone else and that they are just one group of people out of countless groups of people trying to make sense of the world as they know it.

Really the scene that has stuck with me in this show in terms of remembering what it's really about is when Kevin's bagel gets lost in the toaster and he loses his shit trying to find it and realizes it just got stuck in the back.
>>
>>83089037
Most memorable scene to me would probably be the Garveys entering Jarden. That entire episode hit the right buttons for me, the world building was intoxicating to me.
>>
can anyone explain "dog people" to me.
is it only to show that dogshooter was completely insane or there is some meaning in this i dont understand.
>>
whole episode was a suicide letter
>>
>>83089037
I HOPE it ends like this. Them killing Kevin and nothing happening would mean that they just lost their shit for no propose at all.
Let's not forget that this show comes from the hands of the Lost's guy.
>>
So we can agree that Nora is definitely going to be pregnant somehow right?
>>
>>83092227

She could be pregnant and have a misscarriage on the anniversary, that'd be so cool
>>
>>83092007

that would be such bullshit after everything else. kevin crawls out of the ground like a zombie in season 2, i just watched it to make sure i remembered it right.
>>
>>83092711
We'll never know for sure if he was 100% dead after taking that poison.
However, if they drown him, he's gonna die for sure
>>
>>83092810

it would be funny if matt was right and he was only immortal in miracle
>>
>>83093218
yeah that'd be funny too
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>83078953
>159 replies
>44 posters
>>
>>83092227
Didn't she (or about to) get incinerated by science?
>>
>>83093369
Laughing about people discussing a tv show on a board dedicated to discussion
>Girls.png
>>
>>83093369
>44 people are having a nice conversation of a television show that is currently airing!
>better post me laughinggirls.png

depart yourself
>>
>>83094354
>>83094407
sure thing lindelof and shilling co.
>>
>>83093458
Flashforward at the end of episode 1 says otherwise
>>
>>83094474
oh thats true, i completely forgot about that flashforward
>>
>>83094474
fug

HOW THEY GONNA EXPLAIN GILF NORA WITH TWO EPS LEFT??? One, if the next ep is just gonna be International Assassin pt 2
>>
File: coonfu.png (87KB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
coonfu.png
87KB, 300x203px
Carrie was so beautiful in the van scene. Goddamnit I think I'm in love.
D-do you think I have a chance with her, bros?
>>
>>83094952
No, she's married to some old playwright fag and you're an awkward virgin.
>>
>>83094952
She was being a fucking cunt in this scene... Talking to Laurie not looking at her face... It was hard for me to keep looking at her and taking her seriously after this
>>
But really though, is next weeks episode going to be international assassin on steriods?
>>
>>83094467
I hope a gang of negros named Tyrone, Treyvone, Jamal, and Eddie Murphy, along with Dave Chappel, and whichever zombie negro who is no longer with us, bites you on the bum, slobber your bum hole, then horribly rape you for eternity, you cunt!
>>
daily reminder kevin has acted like a complete psychotic from the first episode of this show. a very dangerous one too. that is probably the only constant of this show.
>>
>>83095355
its going to be lindelof trying to one-up himself and failing, because he doesn't actually understand what got people watching in the first place
>>
that's actually i thing i dont get here. the first two seasons were in a pretty condensed time, mostly based around shit being caused by kevin's insanity from the beginning of the season. now he's Jesus 3 years later wtf? did he stop having these sleepwalking episodes? nora seems to have had every right to chain him to the bed that time
>>
>>83080461
tom is obviously fucking jill. they're not siblings by blood. That's the big reveal.

the secret 9th episode premiers on tushy a week after ep 8
>>
>>83095225
It seems shes developed autism.

What with her going back to a childhood memory and crying over it.
>>
>look at me mom, i'm being contrarian on the internet
>>
>>83096372
seems more obvious laurie just imagined the phone call and killed herself, as neither of her kids like or need her as a result of her abandoning them multiple times. not to mention how she used tom to pull people out of the GR so she could do her "worst psychiatrist in the world" thing on them and cause them to commit suicide.
>>
>>83096370
Hmm? The first season took place over the course of six months. The second season took place over like a week, then they skipped time and now the third season is, again, taking place over the course of a week.
>>
>>83078953
Never saw this show discussed here.
Probably she's immortal too, for some retarded reason.
>>
>>83096727
it won't be retarded reason! Kevin will use his powers to get her back to life!
>>
>>83096701
well in both of the first 2 seasons, the main plot has been that kevin's constant insane sleepwalks fuck everything up. does he still get these at all? or were they completely cured through the voodoo poisoning ritual
>>
>>83097102
No more sleepwalks
>>
>>83096727
Nora, Laurie and Kevin will all meet at the hotel.
Laurie will probably stay but Nora and Kevin will come back.
>>
>>83097769
well i hope matt left a good account of this lunatic driving off to Cairo, NY on many occasions and leaving all of his boots and shirts there, and basically being responsible for someone's violent death, in "the book of kevin". i mean, matt did save his ass from that situation.
>>
>>83079946
>news showing drumpf silling for Israel
yes
>>
>>83096372
>>83096555
Do you think he was the one to told her to get the black boi next door so he could masturbed in the corner ?
Damn i'm the one making blacked meme, this board fucked me up
>>
shit show
>>
>>83079915
>>>83075003 →
>season 1
>character driven drama about people dealing with the aftermath of a global supernatural event that can't be explained

>season 2
>character driven drama about people dealing with the aftermath of a global supernatural event and some other shit like Kevin not dying and seeing ghosts that can't be explained.

>season 3
>character driven drama about people finally coming up with bullshit reasons to explain a global supernatural event that can't be explained.

The Kevin shit is just more unexplainable supernatural stuff like the SD that human's will never have the answer for. Kevin's afterlife trip was another global event, since "God" in the previous episode died in Australia the same day, and Kevin saw him on the other side. The entire series is a mediation on people not being able to deal with mystery and the unknown (inspired by the backlash of Lost). Lindelof confirmed that there will be no actual resolution or explanation by having the old Nora flash forward. Laurie killed herself, Kevin is going to drown and not come back, there will be no flood, and the radiation device won't take Nora anywhere.
>>
I fucking hate Laurie, I want to punch her in the face but I still liked the episode. This end of the world feel is incredibly well done.
Anyway what was the meaning of Nora's story ? Does she considering herself as the guy who smash the balloon ? Does it mean she's going to shut down the machine stuff ? Or she actually going to use it ? Teared up a little during the scene, I must admit.
>>
>>83099421
I suspect she's going to end up smashing it. She won't use it. She knows it's bullshit and she becomes the guy who deflates the balloon.
>>
>>83095183
Why even live?
>>
This show is the king of casting women with resting bitch face.
>>
>>83098888
Its pretty hard to claim the first season is character driven, as its built around quick reactions to plotted events. The events come from characters, sure, but, none of the characters ever really have time to do anything but react. The first mattisode being pure plot, of course.

The second and third seasons are entirely plot driven. The events aren't even character based anymore. Its just shit dropping on people to justify maximum drama.

There is no excuse for taking a series that sold itself as grounded character drama in the wake of a supernatural event and making one character an immortal messiah who needs to use his magical powers to jump in and out of the spirit world to save the world.
>>
File: 1492862799260.png (296KB, 503x466px) Image search: [Google]
1492862799260.png
296KB, 503x466px
Even if she was going to kill herself, a call from her kids could've changed her mind
It's left ambiguous on purpose (until the next episode) just like with everything in this show
>>
File: damonlindelof__120602022231[1].jpg (532KB, 3280x4405px) Image search: [Google]
damonlindelof__120602022231[1].jpg
532KB, 3280x4405px
>hey guys, damon lindelof here, I bet you thought laurie joined the GR over guilt from wishing away her and kevin's baby! Well shocker! That's not what happened. See laurie joined the GR because she's a terrible psychiatrist! What a twist!!
>>
File: bestgirl.jpg (135KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
bestgirl.jpg
135KB, 1366x768px
>>83094952
why is she so perfect, bros?
>>
>>83099641
its only ambiguous if you haven't been paying attention. Jill hates laurie. Tom hates laurie. Jill and tom hate each other.
>>
if Laurie kills herself over guilt of being shit psychiatrist then why didnt Lindelof kill himself over guilt of being shit writer?
>>
>>83099771
Not that guy but,

>Jill hates laurie. Tom hates laurie.
Sure.

>Jill and tom hate each other.
Why was this again?
>>
>>83100006
well he did abandon her too

pretty sure there was no exact event that established that, as, ya know, lindelof.
>>
>>83099918
Hes so shit he doesn't realize hes shit.

He thinks there's some sort of irrational hate campaign against him and that's why his career is over. Not because hes consistently written retarded shit.
>>
So glad I took the leap and watched this show. I don't know how any of you would have lasted watching this from the beginning. I started watching a few weeks ago and the wait is already gruesome.
>>
>>83099692
I'd shoot her in a bulletproof vest anytime she wants.
>>
>>83079746
>>83079572
You can also account that Nora is hysterical during these episodes because she has the possibility to find her kids, she is in such level of happiness and fear that makes her act such a cunt to a level that she feels sorry for a ball. For me this metaphor you noticed it's more of a coincidence, Laurie just got mad because she cared for Jill.

>>83078953
I don't think so, she thought she couldn't help anyone anymore (first as a psychologist, then as a mother, and more recently with her family and that psychic stuff) but when Jill calls her, she finds that she can, but in a different way.
>>
>>83099593
>The second and third seasons are entirely plot driven.
lol wtf show are you watching?
>>
>>83101217
The one where a character's magical powers drained a lake.
>>
>>83100935
negro, I know lindelof is a shit writer, but even lindelof isn't want to suddenly forget that two characters utterly despise a third and have no desire to have anything to do with each other.

Laurie just imagined the phone call.

And this shit is such a fucking soap opera goddamn.
>>
>>83101541
I really don't think so. People can move on, and it seems that Jill did.

About the episode, even though I think this is one of the best series to ever air, I've recently noticed that they're focusing too much on the plot, and you have some episodes that a lot of things happen, but they seem ephemerous and don't have the same gravitas as the 1st season, a bunch of episodes of the 2nd season had this, and now more in the 3rd. I still like the show, but the 1st season is still the best because while the plot was less focused, when something happened, it had some importance, while in the 2nd/3rd a lot of stuff happens but the majority it's shit on a fan.
>>
>>83080370
>This show is pretty unpredictable, but I very much doubt that she will appear in next episode like nothing happened, I'm pretty sure she killed herself.

She may appear in the hotel (or wherever Kevin ends up next time - not convinced they will go for the same metaphorical purgatory again)
>>
>>83101541
I think it's reasonable for us to believe that things have gotten better between Jill and Tom and Laurie over the course of that three years the show jumped over. I think the last interaction we saw between Jill and Laurie was when Laurie had shown up in Miracle and after Jill freaked out on her told her that she would leave if Jill wanted her to. Jill said something like "we have to wait together for dad," which seemed to imply that while she certainly hadn't forgiven Laurie at this point, her feelings toward Laurie weren't immutable either. As time passed and Laurie settled down with John and stayed in their lives, it's easy to imagine Jill got over it and kind of started over with her mom.

I don't remember though why Tom would hate Laurie. I know they were doing the fake Holy Wayne thing together, but that's kind of where my recollection of their storyline ends.
>>
>>83101271
actually it was an earthquake that drained the lake
>>
>>83102994
That was triggered by magic.
>>
>>83100935
>her act such a cunt to a level that she feels sorry for a ball
She doesn't feel sorry for a ball doofus, she doesn't want to be the person who deflates the ball: peoples delusions and coping mechanisms for the departure: ie craziness.
That's why she won't report the whole thing to the DSD.
>>
>>83103076
prove it
>>
File: 1491204095331.jpg (89KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1491204095331.jpg
89KB, 633x758px
>>83101541
>Laurie just imagined the phone call.
>mfw I didn't even consider this
but, while it's possible, the show has enough unresolved and uncertain stuff to add imaginary conversations to it
>>
>>83103470
kevin is immortal
>>
>>83099683
>people are only 1Dimensional and multiple events can't add up to influence on decisions
how dumb can you get?
>>
>>83103893
These aren't people. They're damon lindelof characters.
>>
So everyone I'm the show has pretty much lost their minds, except for Matt who seems to have snapped out of it.
>>
>>83104331
Hes still trying to kill kevin to save the world.
>>
>>83103325
The deflator is more like Laurie, when she does all that stuff with her family, while she was always trying to be one of the players.

Nora doesn't want that sadness again (sudden departure and caring about a ball deflating) and she didn't report to the DSD because she has a chance to meet her kids, but I don't doubt that she may do that if the experiment fails.
>>
>>83081042

She was, which is why this episode was such an unexpected pleasure. It was the show's worst character finally coming to term with her flaws and then deciding to end her life on account of them.
>>
>>83094725

I think that her and Kevin will go into seclusion after the events of the season finale and the publishing of the Book of Kevin/Nora. Neither of them would respond well to the celebrity that would accompany being a major religious figure.
>>
>>83104331
He just consented to let his sister kill herself in front of his eyes
>>
>>83096344

I'm concerned about this possibility. One of the reasons that international assassin was so effective is that we hadn't had any entirely surreal/drenched in symbolism episodes up until that point. They're really going to have to go all-out if they want to top that.
>>
File: doggo.jpg (34KB, 515x533px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
34KB, 515x533px
>>83080154
More glamorizing suicide on Netflix with 13 Reasons Why. I bet that show encouraged a few people.
>>
>>83099771
Nah.
Laurie hurt Jill by joining the GR.
She hurt Tom by fighting them.
Jill and Tom are doing fine without her.
>>
>>83105707
I hope the episode is just them drowning Kevin and then them sitting around his corpse waiting for him to wake up.

And he never does.

And nothing happens on the anniversary.
>>
>>83105805
It would make sense, considering the season opening.
>>
>>83099683
Yup no correlation of her not being able to help someone who lost their baby in the sudden departure and her losing her fetus. Nope none.
>>
>>83081683
I have a sneaking suspicion in a few weeks' time when somebody asks if this show is any good, we're going to tell them to just stop at the end of S2.
>>
>>83080991
there's a pretty dope scene involving Meg, a grenade and a school bus, you should watch it
>>
>>83106136
It either contributes nothing to the characterization or reduces it to "OH GOD I'M A TERRIBLE PSYCHOLOGIST TIME TO WEAR WHITE AND SMOKE!!"
>>
>>83106944
You mean the one where she pulls the grenade and throws the pin and the kids on the bus freak out like there's a live grenade on the bus, despite the fact she clearly keeps it and walks off the bus?
>>
>>83079746
bravo damon
>>
Just finished Season 1

What the actual fuck did i just watch? Can someone explain season 1 to me? I literally have no idea what is going on.

inb4 3kino5u
>>
File: BECAUSE MAGIC.jpg (82KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
BECAUSE MAGIC.jpg
82KB, 720x479px
>>83109227
>>
>>83078953
lads im a brainlet and dont quite get what happened this episode. Are mat and Nora suiciding?
>>
>>83104435
Who? Matt? He wanted to get Kevin back to miracle not to kill him.
>>
>>83109227
if you think that way at the end of season 1, you'll probably just die at the end of season 2.
>>
>>83104331
everyone left on the show is batshit crazy right now, the only sane one left was Laurie and she died this episode, the next two eps will be total chaos and crazy shit, be prepared
>>
>>83109890

but now they can't make it back in time. drowning kevin is the only option
>>
>>83109850
No, they'll try to get into the EM Departure Machine.
>>
>>83079087
kek, leftovers is 10x better than twin shits
>>
>>83110919
laurie never even remotely resembled sane.
>>
>>83111772
The end credits of the new episode of Twin Peaks had more going on and displayed a higher degree of artistry than the entirety of Damon Lindelofs oeuvre
>>
Tfw just started this show today and there's pretty much no way I can catch up before the finale airs on the 4th to join in on the fun on /tv/
>>
>>83078953

This season is so god damn mediocre I can't believe it.

Either that or the show has always been shit and I was just delusional when I thought it was amazing.

Are you all just getting sucked in to the hype or what? The new season has so little that is good.
>>
>>83079946
YES
>>
>>83114250
its mostly women swooning over the hawt guys.

They barely understand the show and how little they understand the show is on display any time they're forced to quantify their praise.
>>
>>83114250
It's always been shit, but I honestly congratulate you on having enough self-awareness to realize it. I'm hoping that the finale will be bad enough so that everyone who clamors to shout how groundbreaking and unique and perfect and emotional of an hour of television they just watched after every Sunday night will be rendered stupefied and maybe learn to think a little harder about what they are watching.
>>
>>83115594
people have already set themselves up to seriously believe it was about the characters the entire time.
>>
>>83079572
I think they were attempting to express that Laurie is still a therapist at heart, and couldn't bring herself to tell Nora it was a gift from her daughter for fear of being insensitive to her nutjobbery.

Not defending it tho
>>
>>83080991
you shouldn't

you shouldn't post in the threads either
>>
>>83091202
there is probably more to it with all the dog symbolism on the show but I think the purpose was 2 fold, one to show kevin doing exactly what laurie told him never to do with delusional people and suffering the consequences and the second to get dean in the hotel for some reason
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (528KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
528KB, 245x245px
>>83113838
this guy knows words ya'll
>>
>>83115868
I like how this is the only show where people get viscerally upset about valid criticism.
>>
File: IMG_1262.jpg (420KB, 1320x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1262.jpg
420KB, 1320x2048px
Bring her back please.
Thread posts: 262
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.