[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Horror suck so much nowadays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: image10.jpg (225KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image10.jpg
225KB, 1280x720px
Why does Horror suck so much nowadays?
>>
>>83060359

The genre is fleshed out, much like rock music is dead so is horror
>>
>>83060359
cant compare to the horrors of the real world a click away online

stick a fork in it. horror genre is over.
>>
>>83060561
This. Complete oversaturation of the market means everyone has seen it all before. Horror is about impact, and there's no impact in dude jumpscares lmao any more.
>>
>>83060359

It's stuck between two different audiences. One part, a great majority of people, just want to see silly ghosts and icky gore get shocked by a jump scare every 5 minutes. The other part hate the first crowd and just want "atmosphere" and "tension," and while the better horror movies are aimed at this crowd, they settle for too much crap as long as it's slow-building (boring) and mysterious (plot makes no fucking sense). The former makes sure that the only big horror movies are schlock, and the second half makes sure the indie horror flicks are flooded with pretentious garbage.

There's also exploitation crap which is just a girl getting raped and tortured for 2 hours, but the only people who watch it are weirdos and sadists with women problems.
>>
>>83060633
This, no fictional monster can compare to Drumpf
>>
File: IMG_2312.png (66KB, 693x496px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2312.png
66KB, 693x496px
>>83060700
>>
It doesn't, Ridley Scott has brought it back like never before but only for patricians with IQs over 120.
>>
File: IMG_2307.jpg (178KB, 1024x754px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2307.jpg
178KB, 1024x754px
>>83060877
One thread isn't enough for you faggots you gotta post this trash in every fucking thread? Fucking kill yourself my man.
>>
>>83060998
Kill yourself instead pleb, help humanity remove some of its stupid genes, you stupid pleb.
>>
>>83061082
I'm gonna call you the same thing twice you idiot just to prove how retarded I am idiot
>>
>>83060359

Hollywood only supports one horror franchise at a time and they tend towards action.

Indie horrors now have to 'be about something'. Critics are sniffy about horror, they don't care about how scary it is they want it to be 'more than just horror' and be either 'socially aware' or some thinly veiled metaphor.

It Follows = STDs etc.
Babadook = bereavement
Get Out = muh racism

It Follows especially annoys me. It was a horror ashamed of being a horror and wanted to be a coming of age drama.
>>
>>83061159
Great to see you know you're an idiot. That's progress from your stupid "brain", now fuck off back to stupidville, you stupid moronic idiot.
>>
>>83061230
Hang yourself with your ethernet cable you imbecile
>>
File: evil-dead.jpg (14KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
evil-dead.jpg
14KB, 300x200px
My mother caught me masturbating to this.
>>
>>83061211
>implying any good horror movie ever wasn't some variety of societal metaphor
>thinking It Follows was afraid of being horror when it grips the appropriate levels of tension and release throughout without ever settling for actual jump scares
>>
People are only interested in the trappings rather than the substance of great horror movies. Even the dumbest horror movies of the 80s touch upon some hidden fear or prejudice.
>>
CGI
>>
>>83061211
It's like you've never seen Nightmare on Elm Street, a coming of age horror about an unstoppable force haunting a group of teenagers. Or Scream, which riffs on the same thing. Nigger, horror's always been about something. Don't Look Now, Exorcist, Romero's Dead Trilogy - I don't know why I'm bringing this shit up, you're a fucking moron.
>>
>>83061814

>implying the tall guy isn't a jump scare

Anyway, the film was about 1/4 horror, 3/4 teens moping around reflecting on love and becoming an adult. The horror went to the background.
>>
File: smug dracula reaction image.png (223KB, 320x447px) Image search: [Google]
smug dracula reaction image.png
223KB, 320x447px
>>83060691
>There's also exploitation crap which is just a girl getting raped and tortured for 2 hours, but the only people who watch it are weirdos and sadists with women problems.

>too pleb for rapekino
>>
>>83060359
is a shooped pic from hacksaw ridge
>>
>quick cuts
>loud noises
>jump scares
They use those excessively today
>>
>>83061957

You seriously going to tell me Nightmare on Elm Street or Scream had deep themes? They were both about scares (and dark humour).

They knew they were horrors, first and foremost, they never put the scares to the background in order to focus on the 'important' issues.

They had a nudge and a wink but they didn't act like the horror aspect was the least important part.
>>
>>83060691
Guess my gf has women problems
>>
>>83060359
Horror died when the use of practical effects died
>>
>>83062574
women always have women problem retard. it's like trying to turn off the sun at midday
>>
>>83060359
Demons 2 was a mediocre sequel to a really awesome heavy metal horror show.
>>
>>83062148
Who said deep? They still had themes. The big theme in Nightmare was how parents betray their kids by not treating their thoughts/feelings as valid - by not treating them as people. You're a full on retard, like, just because you're a brain let incapable of parsing any meaning in a narrative doesn't mean the narrative lacks meaning.
>>
>>83061211
Talk about a Plebis Maximus. Horror was always at its best having metaphors/allegories for ugly real life shit going on at the time of each respective film's making.

Horror got really shitty when it became just "BOO!!! Did you see the look on your face? It was so AWESOME!" and took away any real creative integrity.

The three movies you mentioned are doing a good job making horror what it should always be again
>>
>>83061211
But the VVitch didn't try to be anything more and it was great
>>
>>83060691
Fuck that. The best horror films have elements of all three.

Scary ghosts, slimy gore, atmosphere, tension and straight up brutality rolled into one neatly wrapped package.
>>
>>83061722
cmon dude..
>>
>>83060359
It has always sucked. Horror was only good for comedy and fap material.
>>
File: 1371665423786.jpg (5KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1371665423786.jpg
5KB, 251x251px
>>83060691
>There's also exploitation crap which is just a girl getting raped and tortured for 2 hours, but the only people who watch it are weirdos and sadists with women problems.

I tried watching these because I like BDSM and they were too nasty for me, because I like fun stuff.
>>
>>83062113
RRRAAH....ZZZZZZTT.....BBZZZTT....RRRAAAHHH....ZZZZTT.. BBZTT....RRRAAAHHH
>>
It doesn't. It's like it always was. 1 to 3 good/great movies in a year, handful of okay ones.
>>
>>83060359
Horror was never good. The classics have always been diamonds in the rough. The rest are only endearing because of their aged shittyness.
>>
>>83060359
Entertainment evolved, concepts of the unknown and mystery surpassed it

Only literal pea brains find enjoyment in "spoopy zombis" and jump scares
>>
>>83062846
>, like,
>>
>>83060679
>>83060691
This, plus there was an attitude before that shitty special effects were holding back the genre. In reality, the fact that the special effects were bad made them try extra hard to figure out something that looked at least somewhat cool and scary, and they had to tap dance around showing it too much and risk exposing the silliness of it and focus instead on more story and atmospheric elements.

Now people rely on cgi for stuff that would definitely be scary to see in real life, but since you know it's a movie actually cause you to lose your suspension of disbelief which leads to resentment.
>>
>>83065497
The grammar is correct in that sentence, even if anon is talking like a valley girl for some reason.
>>
It's just been oversaturated and overdone.

After you've watched a handful of Horror movies, you basically figure out they follow similar structure and tropes.
>>
>>83061211
>>83061814
The problem with It Follows is that it went downhill starting at the hair pulling scene and went full retard during the pool scene. It started strong but was really weak towards the end.
>>
>>83060359
>nowadays
the majority of the genre has always sucked, with few gems accumulating throughout time. now you look back on a small stack of horror movies that have accumulated for over 60 years and wonder why horror is no good. when in reality the good horror movies have always been few and far between.
>>
>>83060359
Because the internet opened the floodgates to real life horror and gore that makes any horror movie look tame in comparison.
>>
>>83062011
The tall guy was not a jumpscare. The word jumpscare has becoming too much of a generalized buzzword and has lost its meaning. If the characters are walking down the street talking and a dog suddenly jumps out a barks and loud scary music plays, that's a jump scare. If the movie sets up a tense scenario and then a sudden and startling event occurs, that's not necessarily a jump scare.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.