[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was the first film so good but the sequels so shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: pearl.jpg (785KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pearl.jpg
785KB, 1024x768px
How was the first film so good but the sequels so shit?
>>
>>83023420
>You can't recapture novelty.
>The characters became more exaggerated versions of themselves. >The 1st sets the standards for the other movies to follow.
>The more goofy and convoluted the next ones seem, the more balanced and perfect the original becomes.

Literally any of these
>>
>>83024286
The second one was better than the first though
>>
>>83023420
First one was great. GOAT score and original 8/10
Second one was also great, Davy Jones + GOAT score 8/10
Third and fourth one were meh 6/10
>>
>>83024623
hahaha, spotted the brainlet filmembryo.
>>
>>83023420

I'm literally watching the 2nd movie right now.

I have no fucking clue why the "triple-swordfight on the water wheel for the key while elizabeth and the comedy duo play hot potato with the chest" scene isn't considered one of the best action scenes in any movie ever.

anyone who doesn't like pirates 2 and 3 is a jackass who is just regurgitating the "cool" opinion or hating things just because they're popular.

i can't wait to see if 5 proves 4 was the anomaly.
>>
It's not even fair to compare the sequels to the original imo.
The first one literally created a new standard for the adventure genre for the first time since Indiana Jones.

I think the 2nd one was done really well and DJ was a great villain but the 3rd and 4th left people still wanting the thrill they got from the 1st.

5 looks like it has potential with Javier Bardem
>>
>>83023420
The 2nd one is still really good and the third one has its moments (with the best song).
https://youtu.be/AnHXRyabx2A?t=2m47s

The main problem I think is that Sparrow kept getting more and more screentime and becoming the main character instead of the supporting character, which is why I detested the fourth one (among other reasons).
>>83026281
>i can't wait to see if 5 proves 4 was the anomaly.
I really really want this to be true, but I'm getting the same vibes from it as I did the fourth. I feel like they just need to write a better main cast without having to rely on Depp every other second. Barbossa, Davy Jones, Beckett were all captivating on their own but there was no character in the fourth one that worked.
>>
>>83023420
The music is really nice in these films. I like it when actual thought and personality is used to create the main theme.
>>
>>83026281
>I can't understand why the only good scene in the series after the first movie isn't considered good

how fucking stupid are you? Your logic is fucking astoundingly daft.
>>
>>83026980

its not a good scene. its not a great scene. its one of the best ever, it dorsnt get the respect it deserves.

also the ending of 2 is goosebump inducing with them all being sad and then tia dalma getting them to sign onto the rescue mission efore the barbossa reveal. every. time.
>>
>>83023420

Second one is the best.

Yes. Fuck you. It is.
>>
>>83023420
>PotC 3
What went so right with this one?
>>
>>83027180
It was just good business
>>
>>83027180
Solved the plotpoints that 2 left open
>>
1 = 2 > 4 > 3
>>
>>83023420
I rewatched the first three in January and one of the things that really pissed me off was what happened with Jack's character. In Curse he's very able to handle most situations, he's clever, he knows how shit works, and he even has a sort of morality even though he's a pirate. His character and the arc work in Curse, and is executed really well compared to what follows. In the rest of the movies his character is reduced to this sort of bumbling idiot who betrays everyone to get what he needs, and he's constantly followed around by blind luck. It works better for comedy but it just kinda fits poorly with the tone that is set up in Curse with both humorous and serious moments. Overall still love the movies despite them not being as good as the first.

Tldr Jack got turned to shit after movie 1 and Barbossa is best anyways
>>
>>83023420
Because the "PG13 action film with quips to diffuse all tension" genre was fairly novel at the time. Now its beaten into the ground and people realize how formulaic and shit it really is.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.